ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Earthquake in NYC!

Moderators: j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,624

Re: OT: Earthquake in NYC! 

Post#61 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Apr 6, 2024 6:03 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
Jalen Bluntson wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:Once again never doubt mother nature.

Just to show you the potential power of mother nature if Yellowstone blows it's going to wipe off most of the United States. Even if some survive it won't be for long with the air pollution. I always live by expect the unexpected.

I always live by look both ways when crossing the street. Tomorrow is promised to no one and there are an infinite number of ways life could end abruptly. Live while you're still alive.
The pandemic really opened my eyes. Now the threat of AI. It's kind of hard to think we will be safe in the future. But I guess people will live their life the way they want to.

The pandemic showed just how ugly we are. Instead of coming together to take care of each other, things became political and tribal and a million people died.

With the incoming climate disasters, AI removing people from the work force, and the next deadly airborne virus, things will not be pretty.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 62,163

Post#62 » by Clyde_Style » Sat Apr 6, 2024 8:09 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
Jalen Bluntson wrote:
I always live by look both ways when crossing the street. Tomorrow is promised to no one and there are an infinite number of ways life could end abruptly. Live while you're still alive.
The pandemic really opened my eyes. Now the threat of AI. It's kind of hard to think we will be safe in the future. But I guess people will live their life the way they want to.

The pandemic showed just how ugly we are. Instead of coming together to take care of each other, things became political and tribal and a million people died.

With the incoming climate disasters, AI removing people from the work force, and the next deadly airborne virus, things will not be pretty.

Yes, I just spent the last hour in contemplation of these issues and then I opened this thread again and see your post.

One of the primary components of our de-evolution socially is the emotional scale civilization is operating on.

Anger is a base emotion and the enemy of calm and logical thinking. Our society and those who wish to exploit the gullible is increasingly driven by anger and finger pointing instead of collective reasoning and solution building.

The less intelligent become more influential due to their stridency not their reason. And those influencers will become puppets of future technocrats. These actors drive tribalization based on memes. Even identity politics get left behind by the simplistic as they seek vessels to represent their rage, whether it is an issue like anti-vaccine or an avatar like a Trump.

Ambivalence is a root emotion of Democracy. That is no longer acceptable to the average man who wants to be righteous about whatever part of the roulette wheel of memes they hop on to. It makes it too easy to exploit for power seekers. Idiocy is the hotbed of fascism and our civilization now is at that threshold where the majority are idiots.

It is no coincidence that mother nature is at its own threshold of losing the ability to provide a homeostatic environment to host the humans who cannot handle complex systems of thought any longer. Complex systems either require complex beings to moderate them or cooperative beings to live within and support that system by adopting and maintaining sustainable habits.

AI is now generating complexity some number over 90% of the population will never grasp which will put the minority more firmly in power over time. The question then will be which of those ruling humans will be philosopher kings that wish to benefit humankind and which will be power mongers with contempt for their own species or the principles of democratic rule. I think we already know human nature only occasionally produces both wisdom and power in the same person so it doesn't look good for us.
ImageImageImage
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,940

Post#63 » by nykballa2k4 » Sat Apr 6, 2024 8:20 pm

ScienceOfLosing wrote:Repent!

Ghostbusters is happening.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
nykballa2k4
RealGM

Post#64 » by nykballa2k4 » Sat Apr 6, 2024 8:25 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:The pandemic really opened my eyes. Now the threat of AI. It's kind of hard to think we will be safe in the future. But I guess people will live their life the way they want to.

Yes, I just spent the last hour in contemplation of these issues and then I opened this thread again and see your post.

One of the primary components of our de-evolution socially is the emotional scale civilization is operating on.

Anger is a base emotion and the enemy of calm and logical thinking. Our society and those who wish to exploit the gullible is increasingly driven by anger and finger pointing instead of collective reasoning and solution building.

The less intelligent become more influential due to their stridency not their reason. And those influencers will become puppets of future technocrats. These actors drive tribalization based on memes. Even identity politics get left behind by the simplistic as they seek vessels to represent their rage, whether it is an issue like anti-vaccine or an avatar like a Trump.

Ambivalence is a root emotion of Democracy. That is no longer acceptable to the average man who wants to be righteous about whatever part of the roulette wheel of memes they hop on to. It makes it too easy to exploit for power seekers. Idiocy is the hotbed of fascism and our civilization now is at that threshold where the majority are idiots.

It is no coincidence that mother nature is at its own threshold of losing the ability to provide a homeostatic environment to host the humans who cannot handle complex systems of thought any longer. Complex systems either require complex beings to moderate them or cooperative beings to live within and support that system by adopting and maintaining sustainable habits.

AI is now generating complexity some number over 90% of the population will never grasp which will put the minority more firmly in power over time. The question then will be which of those ruling humans will be philosopher kings that wish to benefit humankind and which will be power mongers with contempt for their own species or the principles of democratic rule. I think we already know human nature only occasionally produces both wisdom and power in the same person so it doesn't look good for us.

This last part is the scary part. The role of AI is unprecedented leaving the comparison to the industrial revolution moot.

If you have wealth, you can rest on your property values, allow your investments to fund all of your endeavors and 'work' will basically be managing those funds.

if you don't -- better find a way to entertain or be exceptional because most of today's jobs have automation in their future, say 20-30 years.
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#65 » by Clyde_Style » Sat Apr 6, 2024 8:38 pm

nykballa2k4 wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

This last part is the scary part. The role of AI is unprecedented leaving the comparison to the industrial revolution moot.

If you have wealth, you can rest on your property values, allow your investments to fund all of your endeavors and 'work' will basically be managing those funds.

if you don't -- better find a way to entertain or be exceptional because most of today's jobs have automation in their future, say 20-30 years.

I've been thinking about this lately because I want to transition from my current work to a more self-directed, intellectual and lucrative business. You can't make decisions now without factoring in what AI's possible trajectories will be.

The AI gold rush has multiple tiers or actors and nobody is certain yet to be a dominant player, though I have no doubt Microsoft and Google will still be standing in some form. If one is looking for their gateway into this you can be an app builder or a service provider or an information gatherer. Each scales differently, but for instance I've already decided not to buy software licenses to apps built around ChatGPT as Moore's law will take effect at some point and low cost, highly customized LLMs will proliferate. We're already at the point of roll your own.

From all of this I have already decided not to complete with 10 million nerds who have no issue with doing all-nighters tweaking their prompts. I'll go the route of higher level thinking and leave the tweakers to their little empires. The irony of my conclusion is while I have concluded the great majority of humanity will have no use for my services and insights the ones who are both intelligent and who pay well will.
ImageImageImage
nykballa2k4
RealGM

Post#66 » by nykballa2k4 » Sat Apr 6, 2024 10:05 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

I've been thinking about this lately because I want to transition from my current work to a more self-directed, intellectual and lucrative business. You can't make decisions now without factoring in what AI's possible trajectories will be.

The AI gold rush has multiple tiers or actors and nobody is certain yet to be a dominant player, though I have no doubt Microsoft and Google will still be standing in some form. If one is looking for their gateway into this you can be an app builder or a service provider or an information gatherer. Each scales differently, but for instance I've already decided not to buy software licenses to apps built around ChatGPT as Moore's law will take effect at some point and low cost, highly customized LLMs will proliferate. We're already at the point of roll your own.

From all of this I have already decided not to complete with 10 million nerds who have no issue with doing all-nighters tweaking their prompts. I'll go the route of higher level thinking and leave the tweakers to their little empires. The irony of my conclusion is while I have concluded the great majority of humanity will have no use for my services and insights the ones who are both intelligent and who pay well will.

On a consumer level, my biggest issue at the moment is subscription based services. There are already subscriptions for things that have long been memberships ie gym, cable, utilities. Monthly bill = subscription.
The current generation of this are things like multi-level for multiple streaming services and to me more importantly, subscriptions to things that we used to be able to own. I am not sure if I can OWN a movie, or a TV series, a video game, a car with its features. Automakers are making people pay extra to use features they already paid for. I can't just buy/download/own a version of Word, I have to log in and have an active subscription. Can you imagine buying a Fridge and having to pay a monthly bill for some new feature which is locked in the same grouping as a needed feature like temperature control?
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#67 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Apr 7, 2024 12:13 am

nykballa2k4 wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:

On a consumer level, my biggest issue at the moment is subscription based services. There are already subscriptions for things that have long been memberships ie gym, cable, utilities. Monthly bill = subscription.
The current generation of this are things like multi-level for multiple streaming services and to me more importantly, subscriptions to things that we used to be able to own. I am not sure if I can OWN a movie, or a TV series, a video game, a car with its features. Automakers are making people pay extra to use features they already paid for. I can't just buy/download/own a version of Word, I have to log in and have an active subscription. Can you imagine buying a Fridge and having to pay a monthly bill for some new feature which is locked in the same grouping as a needed feature like temperature control?

I drive my 2000 Ford Explorer 10-15 miles a day and it's doing just fine. Last time I bought a new car was in 2005 when I bought a Toyota Avalon which was a great car. I'm trying to put off getting a modern vehicle as long as I can keep this one running.
ImageImageImage
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,198

Post#68 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Apr 7, 2024 3:35 am

Yeah, I felt my house shake and bake. But it's all a hoax. Just like the wildfires. Just like the glaciers melting. Just a big freaking HOAX.

:evil:
Free Palestine
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#69 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Apr 7, 2024 4:19 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:Yeah, I felt my house shake and bake. But it's all a hoax. Just like the wildfires. Just like the glaciers melting. Just a big freaking HOAX.

:evil:

Those POS Deep State house rattlers!
ImageImageImage
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#70 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Apr 7, 2024 12:39 pm

nykballa2k4 wrote:
ScienceOfLosing wrote:Repent!

Ghostbusters is happening.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#71 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Apr 7, 2024 12:43 pm

nykballa2k4 wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:

One would hope that "the free market" would upend companies that attempt to do something so insidious, but I have my doubts.

Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,385

Post#72 » by Luv those Knicks » Sun Apr 7, 2024 2:30 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
Once again never doubt mother nature.

Just to show you the potential power of mother nature if Yellowstone blows it's going to wipe off most of the United States. Even if some survive it won't be for long with the air pollution. I always live by expect the unexpected.

I'm going to throw my 2 cents in here on YellowStone and this in general.

The popular claim (it erupts every 600,000 years and it's due) is Isn't exactly true because it's not exactly like clockwork. It's much more random. Anyone who understand chaos mathematics understands randomness. The time in between varies.

AND - they never mention this. Yellowstone isn't "due" because there was a large eruption 174,000 years ago - The West Thumb Eruption. Google it if you don't believe me.

So, every 600,000 years - since it erupted 174,000 years ago . . . nothing to worry about, at least from Yellowstone.

The truth is, Yellowstone will erupt again in a big way BUT, it might not happen for a few hundred thousand years, so statistically, we don't have much to worry about.

A Portland tidal wave - in our lifetime - much more likely.

A really big California Earthquake in our lifetime - much more likely.

A really big Yellowstone eruption in our lifetime is a longshot. It might not happen for a couple or few hundred thousand years.

Still, I'm all about being prepared. If you live in a city like NY - keep at least a week of non perishable food that doesn't require cooking to be edible. Keep flashlights and candles in case the flashlight batteries run out.

If you have a car, keep it 3/4 full of gas at all times. The last thing you want, in case of appocalypse, is to have to wait on a 3 mile long line to buy gas from a gas station that might run out of gas in that circumstance or might not be able to put during power outage.

Make a go bag and have a "meeting place" with people you plan to spend the apocalypse with, in case phones are down. I think phones being down is unlikely. Basic things like matches, or flint if you need to make a fire. Warm clothes if it might get cold, sleeping bag is good. Tent. Maybe you won't need it, but if all the hotels are filled up, a warm sleepingbag could save your life. Remember to keep the windows cracked.

So . . . 100%, plan for the worst, and be prepared, but I'm not losing any sleep over Yellowstone. The odds a big Yellowstone burp happens in our lifetimes is about one in a few thousand . . . at least by my estimate. That doesn't mean there won't be a smaller one, and it's worth monitoring especially if you live in the area, but the nation destroying ground-burp. Extreemly unlikely in our lifetime.

Same goes for meteors. The odds that we'll get a city killer, much less a world killer, in our lifetime. Enormously remote.

Far far more likely in our lifetime, would be some kind of massive glacier crashing into the ocean. I'm not sure how big a wave that might make, but day after tomorrow (at least the wave part, not the winter part), might not be too far off from reality, or maybe it would just be another Sandy-like flood. I'm no expert and I'm not sure anyone can predict this with accuracy. but a giant flood splashing into the city seems theoretically possible in our lifetime.

Just my 2 cents. We could make a survival thread if people want.
Uh oh. Somebody needs to call Rick Carlisle a whaaambulance.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#73 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Apr 7, 2024 2:55 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:

The popular claim (it erupts every 600,000 years and it's due) is Isn't exactly true because it's not exactly like clockwork. It's much more random. Anyone who understand chaos mathematics understands randomness. The time in between varies.

AND - they never mention this. Yellowstone isn't "due" because there was a large eruption 174,000 years ago - The West Thumb Eruption. Google it if you don't believe me.

So, every 600,000 years - since it erupted 174,000 years ago . . . nothing to worry about, at least from Yellowstone.

The truth is, Yellowstone will erupt again in a big way BUT, it might not happen for a few hundred thousand years, so statistically, we don't have much to worry about.

A really big Yellowstone eruption in our lifetime is a longshot. It might not happen for a couple or few hundred thousand years.

Still, I'm all about being prepared. If you live in a city like NY - keep at least a week of non perishable food that doesn't require cooking to be edible. Keep flashlights and candles in case the flashlight batteries run out.

If you have a car, keep it 3/4 full of gas at all times. The last thing you want, in case of appocalypse, is to have to wait on a 3 mile long line to buy gas from a gas station that might run out of gas in that circumstance or might not be able to put during power outage.

Make a go bag and have a "meeting place" with people you plan to spend the apocalypse with, in case phones are down. I think phones being down is unlikely. Basic things like matches, or flint if you need to make a fire. Warm clothes if it might get cold, sleeping bag is good. Tent. Maybe you won't need it, but if all the hotels are filled up, a warm sleepingbag could save your life. Remember to keep the windows cracked.

So . . . 100%, plan for the worst, and be prepared, but I'm not losing any sleep over Yellowstone. The odds a big Yellowstone burp happens in our lifetimes is about one in a few thousand . . . at least by my estimate. That doesn't mean there won't be a smaller one, and it's worth monitoring especially if you live in the area, but the nation destroying ground-burp. Extreemly unlikely in our lifetime.

Same goes for meteors. The odds that we'll get a city killer, much less a world killer, in our lifetime. Enormously remote.

Far far more likely in our lifetime, would be some kind of massive glacier crashing into the ocean. I'm not sure how big a wave that might make, but day after tomorrow (at least the wave part, not the winter part), might not be too far off from reality, or maybe it would just be another Sandy-like flood. I'm no expert and I'm not sure anyone can predict this with accuracy. but a giant flood splashing into the city seems theoretically possible in our lifetime.

I believe NYC has to worry about storms like Sandy. Core ocean temperatures are rising and more hurricanes will batter the Northeast. With sea levels guaranteed to rise it is just a matter of time the city is under water again and it could be far worse.

Everyone should tell their kids and grandkids not to buy property in coastal cities. Most of them are going under. Goodbye Miami Beach and Savannah. If NYC wants to invest a trillion dollars in walling off the water they could give it a shot, but that would basically be the largest public works project in history so good luck with that.

The wealthiest municipal patrons tend to pick up their tents and leave when the fit hits the shan rather than stay and be taxed to subsidize such projects. People will ghost cities when they feel they have to. Covid was a warm-up event, but hardly the first one. Cities like NYC and Boston may enter major declines in the second half of this century. Great Lakes cities may experience major revivals as one side effect. New Yorkers moving to Los Angeles may turn into NYC to Cleveland migrations. It is probably already underway. I was checking out Duluth myself. Looks like a nice location.
ImageImageImage
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,385

Post#74 » by Luv those Knicks » Sun Apr 7, 2024 3:07 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:

I believe NYC has to worry about storms like Sandy. Core ocean temperatures are rising and more hurricanes will batter the Northeast. With sea levels guaranteed to rise it is just a matter of time the city is under water again and it could be far worse.

Everyone should tell their kids and grandkids not to buy property in coastal cities. Most of them are going under. Goodbye Miami Beach and Savannah. If NYC wants to invest a trillion dollars in walling off the water they could give it a shot, but that would basically be the largest public works project in history so good luck with that.

The wealthiest municipal patrons tend to pick up their tents and leave when the fit hits the shan rather than stay and be taxed to subsidize such projects. People will ghost cities when they feel they have to. Covid was a warm-up event, but hardly the first one. Cities like NYC and Boston may enter major declines in the second half of this century. Great Lakes cities may experience major revivals as one side effect. New Yorkers moving to Los Angeles may turn into NYC to Cleveland migrations. It is probably already underway. I was checking out Duluth myself. Looks like a nice location.

I agree with you, but at the same time, Bloomberg spent billions on flood prevention after Sandy. Maybe other mayors haven't followed up as much, but there is a good bit that can be done to address flooding, provided there's money to spend to build it.

A permanent sea level rise is harder, but that's going to take much longer to arrive. Storm surge flooding is addressable in cities with money, like NY. I'm not saying everywhere will be protected, but some effort is being made.

https://www.archdaily.com/931720/how-cities-are-using-architecture-to-combat-flooding
Uh oh. Somebody needs to call Rick Carlisle a whaaambulance.
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,302

Post#75 » by JustBuzzin » Sun Apr 7, 2024 4:49 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:

Most religious people have been taught to stock up on canned goods, candles, flashlights.

I do believe there will be a power outage in our near future. People better also start preparing to protect their property. When people don't have food and water they will come to your property looking to take yours. So just be prepared and keep your family safe.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#76 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Apr 8, 2024 9:26 pm

Man that eclipse was wack over here the sky dimmed like a tiny bit. Folks in the Midwest got a pitch black sky.

moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,187

Post#77 » by moocow007 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 6:01 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Man that eclipse was wack over here the sky dimmed like a tiny bit. Folks in the Midwest got a pitch black sky.

I was out there in my front yard with those stupid glasses on hoping for a full eclipse. And I waited and I waited and I waited. Finally I texted my wife saying "when is it supposed to be 100% covered cause, you know, i got **** to do?". She responds, "oh it's only going to be 89% covered."

This was me.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#78 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Apr 9, 2024 9:41 pm

moocow007 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Man that eclipse was wack over here the sky dimmed like a tiny bit. Folks in the Midwest got a pitch black sky.

I was out there in my front yard with those stupid glasses on hoping for a full eclipse. And I waited and I waited and I waited. Finally I texted my wife saying "when is it supposed to be 100% covered cause, you know, i got **** to do?". She responds, "oh it's only going to be 89% covered."

This was me.

Yeah it was highly disappointing :lol:

Return to New York Knicks