ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Earthquake in NYC!

Moderators: j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,630

Re: OT: Earthquake in NYC! 

Post#41 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Apr 5, 2024 11:45 pm

Richard4444 wrote:Godzilla Attack?!!!

Gojira!!!
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,940

Post#42 » by nykballa2k4 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 11:55 pm

Richard4444 wrote:Godzilla Attack?!!!

Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,311

Post#43 » by JustBuzzin » Sat Apr 6, 2024 12:51 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:Remember that movie of the tsunami hitting NY?

A stronger quake and it's not as unrealistic as people thought. We just had a pandemic. You can have your own beliefs, but stuff like that just doesn't happen out of the blue.

The threat of old buildings collapsing if this area gets hit with a serious magnitude quake is probably more realistic than a tsunami hitting NYC due to the lack of subduction zones in the Atlantic.

I'm no expert though i just looked that up on Google because I was curious. Seems like it would take something catastrophic to wipe NYC out, like an asteroid hitting the Atlantic.
I have learned to never judge mother nature.

It's like people saying tornadoes can't happen in certain areas. When in fact tornadoes can literally happen anywhere.
ITGM
RealGM
And1: 8,046

Post#44 » by ITGM » Sat Apr 6, 2024 1:02 am

Didn't the "prophet" Ryan Garcia predict this?

KnixtapeH20
RealGM
And1: 15,988

Post#45 » by KnixtapeH20 » Sat Apr 6, 2024 1:22 am

A stronger quake and it's not as unrealistic as people thought. We just had a pandemic. You can have your own beliefs, but stuff like that just doesn't happen out of the blue.

I remember the movie the day after tomorrow that movies bananas... if NYC gets hit with any natural disaster se acabó
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 62,172

Re: Earthquake in NYC! 

Post#46 » by Clyde_Style » Sat Apr 6, 2024 1:34 am

thebuzzardman wrote:
Knick4Real wrote:Did anybody feel that earthquake in NYC?? I thought I was dreaming, but turned on the news and it was a 4.8

Absolutely felt it in northern queens. 3rd floor of apartment shook for roughly 10 seconds.

That was your vibrating egg bro
ImageImageImage
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 49,089

Post#47 » by robillionaire » Sat Apr 6, 2024 3:07 am

that was just melo trying to chase down a mr softee truck
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,876

Post#48 » by spree2kawhi » Sat Apr 6, 2024 5:22 am

Spree2Houston wrote:Entire bathroom shook while I was taking a dump

No, the real earthquake.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 62,172

Post#49 » by Clyde_Style » Sat Apr 6, 2024 6:14 am

robillionaire wrote:that was just melo trying to chase down a mr softee truck

Fortunately, the Melo family kept the home video of their birth from an Oreo package

ImageImageImage
ScienceOfLosing
Sixth Man
And1: 1,720

Post#50 » by ScienceOfLosing » Sat Apr 6, 2024 6:31 am

Repent!

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,208

Post#51 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Apr 6, 2024 6:49 am

DaGawd wrote:i felt that for sure. was sitting in the car for lunch and thought some punk kids were pushing against the car or something :lol:

They don't do that to Shaft. 8-)
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,208

Post#52 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Apr 6, 2024 6:50 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
robillionaire wrote:that was just melo trying to chase down a mr softee truck

Fortunately, the Melo family kept the home video of their birth from an Oreo package

I believe that The Blob convention is this week so, yeah, I thought The Blob made landing.
Free Palestine
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,387

Post#53 » by Luv those Knicks » Sat Apr 6, 2024 11:00 am

KnixtapeH20 wrote:

I remember the movie the day after tomorrow that movies bananas... if NYC gets hit with any natural disaster se acabó

During 9-11, it took my brother like 4 hours to get home with all the people leaving. If "everybody" tries to leave - much longer. The city isn't set up for that.

Though, to the city's credit, the number of people who dies during the massive flooding and power outage of Sandy was pretty low by natural disaster standards. High cost of damage, but low loss of life. The concrete used in the city is strong and nearly all of it, steel reinforced and tall buildings are designed to sway which increases Earthquake resistance. It would take something unusually big to mess up the city. A 2011 Japanese Tsunami event would certainly mess up the ocean-side of Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island, but there's never been an event like that on record, though NY had some HUGE floods when the ice melted at the end of the last glaciation . . . but the ice was a mile high and quite close back then. Probably won't repeat.

The risk of natural disaster hitting New York CIty is quite low. Probably very low. This isn't Portland, where they expect a tsunami at some point and are making plans for it. A large, direct hit meteor would mess the city up, but that's an astronomically rare event.
Uh oh. Somebody needs to call Rick Carlisle a whaaambulance.
ScienceOfLosing
Sixth Man
And1: 1,720

Post#54 » by ScienceOfLosing » Sat Apr 6, 2024 11:44 am

Well, let’s see what the solar eclipse brings on the 8th.

https://sciencenotes.org/can-a-solar-eclipse-trigger-an-earthquake/

Snippet
The gravitational pull of the Sun and the Moon produces the tides, so it makes sense gravity could affect plate tectonics and potentially trigger earthquakes. In a solar eclipse, the Earth, Sun, and Moon are aligned, so you expect the effect to be greatest. Is there a correlation between eclipses and earthquakes? The short answer is yes, but it’s not really the eclipse that increases the probability, but the lunar phase.
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#55 » by JustBuzzin » Sat Apr 6, 2024 4:10 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:
KnixtapeH20 wrote:

During 9-11, it took my brother like 4 hours to get home with all the people leaving. If "everybody" tries to leave - much longer. The city isn't set up for that.

Though, to the city's credit, the number of people who dies during the massive flooding and power outage of Sandy was pretty low by natural disaster standards. High cost of damage, but low loss of life. The concrete used in the city is strong and nearly all of it, steel reinforced and tall buildings are designed to sway which increases Earthquake resistance. It would take something unusually big to mess up the city. A 2011 Japanese Tsunami event would certainly mess up the ocean-side of Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island, but there's never been an event like that on record, though NY had some HUGE floods when the ice melted at the end of the last glaciation . . . but the ice was a mile high and quite close back then. Probably won't repeat.

The risk of natural disaster hitting New York CIty is quite low. Probably very low. This isn't Portland, where they expect a tsunami at some point and are making plans for it. A large, direct hit meteor would mess the city up, but that's an astronomically rare event.

Once again never doubt mother nature.

Just to show you the potential power of mother nature if Yellowstone blows it's going to wipe off most of the United States. Even if some survive it won't be for long with the air pollution. I always live by expect the unexpected.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,489

Post#56 » by Jalen Bluntson » Sat Apr 6, 2024 4:17 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
Luv those Knicks wrote:
KnixtapeH20 wrote:I remember the movie the day after tomorrow that movies bananas... if NYC gets hit with any natural disaster se acabó

Just to show you the potential power of mother nature if Yellowstone blows it's going to wipe off most of the United States. Even if some survive it won't be for long with the air pollution. I always live by expect the unexpected.

I always live by look both ways when crossing the street. Tomorrow is promised to no one and there are an infinite number of ways life could end abruptly. Live while you're still alive.
:beer: RIP mags
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#57 » by JustBuzzin » Sat Apr 6, 2024 4:20 pm

Jalen Bluntson wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
Luv those Knicks wrote:

I always live by look both ways when crossing the street. Tomorrow is promised to no one and there are an infinite number of ways life could end abruptly. Live while you're still alive.
The pandemic really opened my eyes. Now the threat of AI. It's kind of hard to think we will be safe in the future. But I guess people will live their life the way they want to.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,489

Post#58 » by Jalen Bluntson » Sat Apr 6, 2024 4:42 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
Jalen Bluntson wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:Once again never doubt mother nature.

The pandemic really opened my eyes. Now the threat of AI. It's kind of hard to think we will be safe in the future. But I guess people will live their life the way they want to.

Oh...this entire planet is on a downward spiral. It's a wrap. It's only a matter of how long and how it all ends, There's too many people. Too much ignorance. Too much evil. Too much greed. Sucking the planet dry of all of its resources and leaving a pile of shyt everywhere in return. Not to mention wars. Mother nature will definitely play a part in all of it. This polluted rock is only going to get worse.

Like George Carlin said...the planet isn't going anywhere. The people are.

Let's go Knicks!
:beer: RIP mags
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#59 » by JustBuzzin » Sat Apr 6, 2024 4:48 pm

Jalen Bluntson wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
Jalen Bluntson wrote:

Oh...this entire planet is on a downward spiral. It's a wrap. It's only a matter of how long and how it all ends, There's too many people. Too much ignorance. Too much evil. Too much greed. Sucking the planet dry of all of its resources and leaving a pile of shyt everywhere in return. Not to mention wars. Mother nature will definitely play a part in all of it. This polluted rock is only going to get worse.

Let's go Knicks!
We can agree on that.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,630

Post#60 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Apr 6, 2024 5:58 pm

Jalen Bluntson wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
Jalen Bluntson wrote:

Let's go Knicks!

The planet is going to fix the problem one way or another.

It's a good system.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe

Return to New York Knicks