ImageImageImageImageImage

O.T. Stephen A. Smith (and ESPN) fallout

Moderators: j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O

RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,781

O.T. Stephen A. Smith (and ESPN) fallout 

Post#1 » by RHODEY » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:54 am

Spot31
Pro Prospect
And1: 553

Re: O.T. Stephen A. Smith (and ESPN) falllout 

Post#2 » by Spot31 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:23 am

Bring back the NBA on NBC
"And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character hope." Rom. 5: 2-4
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,196

Post#3 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:32 am

Spot31 wrote:Bring back the NBA on NBC

:lol: Exactly!
Free Palestine
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 30,164

Re: O.T. Stephen A. Smith (and ESPN) fallout 

Post#4 » by Fat Kat » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:51 am

RHODEY wrote:

I don’t like Stephen A, but is this guy a member of the proud boys? He could’ve skipped the diversity and wokeness dog whistles. Thumbs down
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
ellobo
Veteran
And1: 4,496

Post#5 » by ellobo » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:28 am

Fat Kat wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

I don’t like Stephen A, but is this guy a member of the proud boys? He could’ve skipped the diversity and wokeness dog whistles. Thumbs down

I also don't like Stephen A, or any of those blowhard argument show dudes, and just don't watch them. But this guy in the video is just a minor league version of the same thing, with anti "woke" politics as the engine of his performative outrage.
Just because it happened to you, doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

Yesterday I was lying; today I'm telling the truth.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,604

Post#6 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:31 am

Fat Kat wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

Yeah f*ck that guy. I neither like nor dislike Stephen A but no.

Edit: actually i take that back, Stephen A called Jason Whitlock a fat piece of sh*t. He's alright with me even if he is a blow hard :lol:
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,755

Post#7 » by duetta » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:10 pm

I go back to when Bill Russell did color commentary in games. But was that for CBS or ABC? Trying to remember.
ellobo
Veteran
And1: 4,496

Post#8 » by ellobo » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:23 pm

duetta wrote:

I go back to when Bill Russell did color commentary in games. But was that for CBS or ABC? Trying to remember.

Here's a famous clip of Bill Russell, Rick Barry, and Gary Bender (on CBS) from game 5 of the 1981 Finals between the Celtics and Rockets.

It was one of the cringiest moments in sports broadcast history.

They showed an old photo of Bill Russell when he was on the 1956 Olympic team, and Rick Barry commented, "It looks like some fool with a big watermelon grin." Russell was PISSED, and made it very clear he was upset, but Barry and Gary Bender, the play-by-play guy, just continued on obliviously.

I really liked Russell as a commentator (although I recall a lot of others didn't), and he mostly had good on-air chemistry with Rick Barry (they later worked together on TBS with Skip Carey), but this day Barry was lucky not to get punched on the air.

Just because it happened to you, doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

Yesterday I was lying; today I'm telling the truth.
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,430
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#9 » by BKlutch » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:56 pm

ellobo wrote:
duetta wrote:

Here's a famous clip of Bill Russell, Rick Barry, and Gary Bender (on CBS) from game 5 of the 1981 Finals between the Celtics and Rockets.

They showed an old photo of Bill Russell when he was on the 1956 Olympic team, and Rick Barry commented, "It looks like some fool with a big watermelon grin." Russell was PISSED, and made it very clear he was upset, but Barry and Gary Bender, the play-by-play guy, just continued on obliviously.

I really liked Russell as a commentator (although I recall a lot of others didn't), and he mostly had good on-air chemistry with Rick Barry (they later worked together on TBS with Skip Carey), but this day Barry was lucky not to get punched on the air.

Today we all see the racism in Rick Barry's comments. Is he thought to be racist or was he just ignorant? Do we know anything about him? I know little more about him other than he was a good shooter with an underhand free throw technique.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,784

Post#10 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:08 pm

ellobo wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

I also don't like Stephen A, or any of those blowhard argument show dudes, and just don't watch them. But this guy in the video is just a minor league version of the same thing, with anti "woke" politics as the engine of his performative outrage.

This is like picking a side when the Nazis invaded the USSR.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,784

Post#11 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:10 pm

BKlutch wrote:
ellobo wrote:
duetta wrote:

Today we all see the racism in Rick Barry's comments. Is he thought to be racist or was he just ignorant? Do we know anything about him? I know little more about him other than he was a good shooter with an underhand free throw technique.

I'm unsure about the racism, but Rick Barry was a famous cantankerous assh*le as a player.
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,755

Post#12 » by duetta » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:52 pm

BKlutch wrote:Today we all see the racism in Rick Barry's comments. Is he thought to be racist or was he just ignorant? Do we know anything about him? I know little more about him other than he was a good shooter with an underhand free throw technique.

Barry was not a deep thinker. He spent his days watching soap operas on television. I know this because my buddy Paul Needell once covered the Knicks and Nets (for the NY Daily News) before moving to football for the rest of his career, and Barry told him this.
FrozenEnvelope
Veteran
And1: 3,620

Post#13 » by FrozenEnvelope » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:17 pm

In terms of money and entertainment (if you like this sort of stuff) SAS is successful. But if you want unbiased sports analysis and knowledge, he is just awful. I don't listen or watch his show. Just not for me. It's like Elegant Elliot Offen talking sports.

But what bugs me the most about SAS is his fake Knicks fandom. He clearly doesn't watch games. And just last year, he said he preferred that Miami win the series because he wanted to be in South Beach for the ECF. What kind of fan says this?
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,430
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#14 » by BKlutch » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:02 pm

FrozenEnvelope wrote:In terms of money and entertainment (if you like this sort of stuff) SAS is successful. But if you want unbiased sports analysis and knowledge, he is just awful. I don't listen or watch his show. Just not for me. It's like Elegant Elliot Offen talking sports.

But what bugs me the most about SAS is his fake Knicks fandom. He clearly doesn't watch games. And just last year, he said he preferred that Miami win the series because he wanted to be in South Beach for the ECF. What kind of fan says this?

I agree with this, but I don’t have to like the arsehole who did that YouTube video eother

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#15 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:13 pm

FrozenEnvelope wrote:In terms of money and entertainment (if you like this sort of stuff) SAS is successful. But if you want unbiased sports analysis and knowledge, he is just awful. I don't listen or watch his show. Just not for me. It's like Elegant Elliot Offen talking sports.

Someone who is stinking rich and doesn't care.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#16 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:19 pm

ellobo wrote:
duetta wrote:

Bill Russell was one of the most graceful people to walk this planet, and Rick Barry should be grateful that he was.

knicks94
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,026

Post#17 » by knicks94 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:24 pm

The only thing worse than SAS is that Youtuber who uses his thumb nail as clickbait.
RHODEY
RealGM

Post#18 » by RHODEY » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:06 pm

I always though he was a fake fan but not to the level of not knowing players had been traded from the team. :lol:
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#19 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:03 pm

RHODEY wrote:

I always though he was a fake fan but not to the level of no knowing players had been traded from the team. :lol:

The Grimes thing could have been a slip, but not knowing that Josh has been a starter is kinda suspect.

RHODEY
RealGM

Post#20 » by RHODEY » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:33 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

I always though he was a fake fan but not to the level of no knowing players had been traded from the team. :lol:

The Grimes thing could have been a slip, but not knowing that Josh has been a starter is kinda suspect.

Yeah..him not knowing who's currently starting is pretty damning. It 's almost proof that he doesn't watch. And It makes me think the Grimes statement was not a slip at all.

Return to New York Knicks