ImageImageImageImageImage

Trades and Transactions Ideas Thread

Moderators: j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O

JayTWill
Junior
And1: 147

Re: Trades and Transactions Ideas Thread 

Post#481 » by JayTWill » Fri May 3, 2024 10:38 pm

For everyone that wants to run it back and see what the team looks like next year with Randle, what would you do if Randle has another terrible playoff performance next season? What would you do if he opted out of the last year of his contract? Would you re-sign him at a possibly much higher amount from age 31 to 35? Would you hope to get a discount on a player that may just be a poor playoff performer? What you let him walk knowing that you don't have capspace to make a significant addition? Or just hope someone would be willing to do a sign and trade for him returning some value to the team?
Wildcat
RealGM
And1: 1,797

Post#482 » by Wildcat » Fri May 3, 2024 10:46 pm

Richard4444 wrote:
Wildcat wrote:
KnixinSix wrote:
OG is obviously staying. But as a third 'star' he is not an offensive star. He is the ultimate 3 and D player out there and Super valuable to a Thibs system.

You could easily keep Randle and bring in a guy like Donovon. Since he is not a 50M player right now.

They are going to use all this draft capital for someone and this offseason seems like a boiling point for quite a few teams.

Big 3 isn't about offense threat. It's players who excel at their position, i.e., Warriors with Green/Klay/Curry. T-Wolves technically have a Big 3, as well. Right now, OG/Randle/JB is a very solid Big 3 without destroying cap space. Unless something changes, this seems like the core we'll see for a couple of years.

1) Brunson and Randle will ask for a 200M+ contract to re-sign in 2025. Soon, we will enter deep into the Second Tier hell with our 2 better players in their 30ys.

2) We have at least to turn Bojan" 's contract into a fringe all-star younger player like Murray, Mikal, or Lauri.

I'm expecting Randle's salary to be 35-45 range. Brunson is probably getting 45-55. But let's keep the cap in perspective, though, because the cap is expected to jump to 150'ish in 24/25 and 170ish in 25/26 with similar increases thereafter. If you trust the front office in how they've been spending their money, I think it's very fair that they'll keep cap in mind to avoid the 2nd apron.

Unless something breaks down, the Knicks core will be JB/Randle/OG for the foreseeable future.
Bob Ross
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,108

Post#483 » by Bob Ross » Sat May 4, 2024 12:12 am

I still want Donovan Mitchell
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,412

Post#484 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat May 4, 2024 7:38 am

Bob Ross wrote:I still want Donovan Mitchell

What would you be willing to offer?
Free Palestine
8516knicks
Head Coach
And1: 4,990

Post#485 » by 8516knicks » Sat May 4, 2024 10:14 am

JayTWill wrote:For everyone that wants to run it back and see what the team looks like next year with Randle, what would you do if Randle has another terrible playoff performance next season? What would you do if he opted out of the last year of his contract? Would you re-sign him at a possibly much higher amount from age 31 to 35? Would you hope to get a discount on a player that may just be a poor playoff performer? What you let him walk knowing that you don't have capspace to make a significant addition? Or just hope someone would be willing to do a sign and trade for him returning some value to the team?

Another way to look at any player's "poor playoff performer"'s reputation -- you have to GET to the Playoffs FIRST.

And lots of people on hear yearn for a Kawhi, Giannis, Embid, etc. when their health gives them a similar "poor playoff performer" result. You are gambling on getting that ONE season from Kawhi or Giannis (not yet Embid) where "it all comes together" and you win the championship.

But in this era, we are better set up than most to overcome a terrible injury. Obviously Brunson is indispensable, but his body and style of play make a serious injury less likely than most players. That is a good thing.

All this to say I'm fine with OG being our "weak link."

I think Randle is pretty stable healthwise. And with all our talent now, if he's just mediocre Randle on D and O we get a big boost starting next year.
Bob Ross
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,108

Post#486 » by Bob Ross » Sat May 4, 2024 1:03 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:

Draft picks. I'm not good at constructing potential trades
Richard4444
General Manager
And1: 6,023

Post#487 » by Richard4444 » Sat May 4, 2024 2:02 pm

Bob Ross wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Probably, we would have to give Mitch or Randle (besides Bojan) for the trade work salary-wise. The Cavs will demand Deuce and around 6 picks (3 or 4 unprotected). I don't know how much Donovan's preference for the Knicks would scarry the competition (about his upcoming new contract). Especially if big market teams like Miami, Nets, Lakers, and Sixers make all-in offers.
BAF Brooklyn - Pre-Season NBA 2K Simulation 2023 Champions.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Boucher/Morris/Baldwin Jr
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
BigShot Bojan
General Manager
And1: 8,500

Post#488 » by BigShot Bojan » Sat May 4, 2024 3:03 pm

Richard4444 wrote:
Bob Ross wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:What would you be willing to offer?

Probably, we would have to give Mitch or Randle (besides Bojan) for the trade work salary-wise. The Cavs will demand Deuce and around 6 picks (3 or 4 unprotected). I don't know how much Donovan's preference for the Knicks would scarry the competition (about his upcoming new contract). Especially if big market teams like Miami, Nets, Lakers, and Sixers make all-in offers.
yeah deuce himself is worth 2 frps so I imagine it would more like 1-2 frps
Formerly Knicks85

Capn'O wrote:I wonder what Paul Reed's feelings are about metal bats.
Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 5,249

Post#489 » by Jeffrey » Sat May 4, 2024 3:15 pm

Richard4444 wrote:
Bob Ross wrote:

His value didn't increase that much since Utah traded him and he has a shorter contract now with no guarantee that he will sign an extension. Cleveland still has some leverage but not a whole lot especially when everyone knows that he isn't going to sign with them.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,851

Post#490 » by cgf » Sat May 4, 2024 3:52 pm

Jeffrey wrote:
Richard4444 wrote:
Bob Ross wrote:

His value didn't increase that much since Utah traded him and he has a shorter contract now with no guarantee that he will sign an extension. Cleveland still has some leverage but not a whole lot especially when everyone knows that he isn't going to sign with them.

Desperate Miami & Brooklyn teams could make the bidding war trickier than it was last time though.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
Juco24
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,245

Post#491 » by Juco24 » Sat May 4, 2024 3:56 pm

Bob Ross wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

That's just the thing... After this season, Mitchell has one year remaining on his contract, with a player option for the 2025-26 season. That's important because Cleveland can act stupid- keep him and ultimately lose him for 0 return. According to trade checker Bogs&Robinson works and you throw in picks. Take that Cleveland or find another trade partner in which Spida will sign an extension. What I'm saying is- if Spida really wants NY, Cleveland is not the ones with leverage.
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,927

Post#492 » by KnixinSix » Sat May 4, 2024 4:02 pm

Wildcat wrote:
Richard4444 wrote:
Wildcat wrote:
Big 3 isn't about offense threat. It's players who excel at their position, i.e., Warriors with Green/Klay/Curry. T-Wolves technically have a Big 3, as well. Right now, OG/Randle/JB is a very solid Big 3 without destroying cap space. Unless something changes, this seems like the core we'll see for a couple of years.

1) Brunson and Randle will ask for a 200M+ contract to re-sign in 2025. Soon, we will enter deep into the Second Tier hell with our 2 better players in their 30ys.

2) We have at least to turn Bojan" 's contract into a fringe all-star younger player like Murray, Mikal, or Lauri.

I'm expecting Randle's salary to be 35-45 range. Brunson is probably getting 45-55. But let's keep the cap in perspective, though, because the cap is expected to jump to 150'ish in 24/25 and 170ish in 25/26 with similar increases thereafter. If you trust the front office in how they've been spending their money, I think it's very fair that they'll keep cap in mind to avoid the 2nd apron.

Unless something breaks down, the Knicks core will be JB/Randle/OG for the foreseeable future.

I still disagree with this. We have been looking for the right circumstance to make the big trade. We have been building up for this. This year seems like where it will come all together for that likely one final big move. Certain guys even if you don't trade Randle come in at a smaller contract or remaining contract level.

So even if it isn't the 50M dollar player like Embiid, Booker, KAT etc. guys like Bridges(24M AAV), Mitchell (35M) even DeJounte Murray (25M AAV)
For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2nd Corinthians 4:6
JayTWill
Junior
And1: 147

Post#493 » by JayTWill » Sat May 4, 2024 4:33 pm

8516knicks wrote:
JayTWill wrote:For everyone that wants to run it back and see what the team looks like next year with Randle, what would you do if Randle has another terrible playoff performance next season? What would you do if he opted out of the last year of his contract? Would you re-sign him at a possibly much higher amount from age 31 to 35? Would you hope to get a discount on a player that may just be a poor playoff performer? What you let him walk knowing that you don't have capspace to make a significant addition? Or just hope someone would be willing to do a sign and trade for him returning some value to the team?

Another way to look at any player's "poor playoff performer"'s reputation -- you have to GET to the Playoffs FIRST.

And lots of people on hear yearn for a Kawhi, Giannis, Embid, etc. when their health gives them a similar "poor playoff performer" result. You are gambling on getting that ONE season from Kawhi or Giannis (not yet Embid) where "it all comes together" and you win the championship.

But in this era, we are better set up than most to overcome a terrible injury. Obviously Brunson is indispensable, but his body and style of play make a serious injury less likely than most players. That is a good thing.

All this to say I'm fine with OG being our "weak link."

I think Randle is pretty stable healthwise. And with all our talent now, if he's just mediocre Randle on D and O we get a big boost starting next year.

I wasn't advocating trading Randle for any specific player. Going into the season I was truly curious how the Knicks would handle IQ and his future since it was the last year of his deal before hitting restricted free agency. The organization had to make a decision where and how they wanted to invest their money in the roster.

They decided to include him in the deal for OG to re-balance the roster and invest money in OG. If they had not made that trade I would have been watching to see how IQ performed in the playoffs closely since it would obviously impact his contract negotiations.

I didn't want to make any adjustments to the team last off-season other than adding a bigger wing defender. I wanted to see the team perform at full strength. I was disappointed when the Obi audio leaked and he was traded. I was confused by the DDV rumors after that trade but then I could understand his signing when I took a step back and looked at IQ in the last year of his deal and him possibly not being offered the role or money he wanted.

I really wanted to see healthy Randle this postseason but we weren't able to watch this version of the Knicks perform at full strength. Another decision will need to be made with Randle heading into the last year of his deal before his opt-out. I just want to know how people would handle his contract going forward if he has another great regular season but underperforms in the playoffs again which could happen. Personally i'm very open to trading him since I wouldn't want to end up having to make that decision.
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,927

Post#494 » by KnixinSix » Sat May 4, 2024 4:35 pm

Juco24 wrote:
Bob Ross wrote:

That's just the thing... After this season, Mitchell has one year remaining on his contract, with a player option for the 2025-26 season. That's important because Cleveland can act stupid- keep him and ultimately lose him for 0 return. According to trade checker Bogs&Robinson works and you throw in picks. Take that Cleveland or find another trade partner in which Spida will sign an extension. What I'm saying is- if Spida really wants NY, Cleveland is not the ones with leverage.

THis is sort of a Carmelo to NY situation. It will all depend on how hard ball Cleveland will want to play. Or of course they get LeBron coming back home and aren't worried about losing Mitchell for nothing bc they would get to pair him with James for one year.

But short of that if they want picks and/or cap relief. Trade with us is best bet.
For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2nd Corinthians 4:6
aggo
RealGM
And1: 6,377

Post#495 » by aggo » Sat May 4, 2024 4:59 pm

No thanks on Mitchell.

While he is certainly a star, his fit next to Brunson requires too much retooling the offense and the fit is questionable. His track record in the playoffs is long enough to know hes not worth giving up 4 frps+ deuce.

In a vacuum you jump at taking a guy that’s a top 20 player. But the fit is just too questionable now with how much overlap between Brunson needing the ball to be effective and Mitchell needing the ball.

At minimum if Mitchell is the guy that comes here, Randle has to leave. 3 high USG guys that don’t do much else is not a winning formula. And despite what ppl may think, Randle is probably the best playmaker of the three in terms of getting his teammates easy shots.

The best fit next to Brunson is upgrading Randle with KAT. Then you expand iHart’s offense to be a 12ppg guy.

Those are fits that do not disturb any offense, touches, usg, nova guys, and keep our defensive flexibility of OG-Hart defending 1-5 and elite wings
HopelessKnick
Starter
And1: 1,699

Post#496 » by HopelessKnick » Sat May 4, 2024 6:42 pm

I see zero evidence that Phoenix would even remotely consider a Booker trade. Probably the same with Durant. Phoenix likely will go the Mavs route and hope to make it work better around the acquisition of some size, defense and athleticism. Booker is the face of that franchise and locked into a longterm extension. He has zero leverage and he does not strike me as a guy enforcing a trade etc.

I think we should be looking at the 25-30 mill. tier where we acquire a two way player that can legitimately score 20 a night. I find it extremely unlikely that Bridges is going to end up here, but with him only having 2 years remaining he does have at least some slight leverage. Again, does not strike me as a player enforcing a trade.

That leaves the usual suspects like Murray, Grant, Brogdon etc. I think such a deal could make sense if reasonable as it leaves the current team and it's chemistry in tact and adds another piece to the puzzle.

I very highly doubt the FO is looking seriously at a Randle trade this offseason. He recently switched back agencies, hinting at a contract extension.
Richard4444
General Manager

Post#497 » by Richard4444 » Sat May 4, 2024 7:03 pm

BigShot Bojan wrote:
Richard4444 wrote:
Bob Ross wrote:

yeah deuce himself is worth 2 frps so I imagine it would more like 1-2 frps

Keep dreaming.

2 years ago, they asked for RJ, IQ, Grimes, and 5 picks (2 unprotected). Now, we only have Deuce and injury-prone Mitch as easily tradable player assets. Thats why I think we can trade Randle instead.

Besides, our picks lost appeal now since we were the second seed (25th pick) and we might improve in the following years.

Moreover, people, in general, don't know how good Deuce is. His trade value is still quite low.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
Richard4444
General Manager

Post#498 » by Richard4444 » Sat May 4, 2024 7:35 pm

aggo wrote:No thanks on Mitchell.

While he is certainly a star, his fit next to Brunson requires too much retooling the offense and the fit is questionable. His track record in the playoffs is long enough to know hes not worth giving up 4 frps+ deuce.

In a vacuum you jump at taking a guy that’s a top 20 player. But the fit is just too questionable now with how much overlap between Brunson needing the ball to be effective and Mitchell needing the ball.

At minimum if Mitchell is the guy that comes here, Randle has to leave. 3 high USG guys that don’t do much else is not a winning formula. And despite what ppl may think, Randle is probably the best playmaker of the three in terms of getting his teammates easy shots.

The best fit next to Brunson is upgrading Randle with KAT. Then you expand iHart’s offense to be a 12ppg guy.

Those are fits that do not disturb any offense, touches, usg, nova guys, and keep our defensive flexibility of OG-Hart defending 1-5 and elite wings

We need to make a trade before getting into the second tier (which should happen in 2025). The market is dry and there is a lot of competition. Probably, we can not be very picky. Especially if the available player is youngish and not shorter than Brunson (older players can not hit the playoff healthy apparently).

Donovan"s is not my dream target in terms of fit but he can work.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,851

Post#499 » by cgf » Sat May 4, 2024 8:21 pm

Brunson | McBride | Milton
DiVincenzo | Caruso
Anunoby | Hart | Kispert
Randle | Achiuwa
Robinson | Hartenstein | Sims
+ #25
+ #38

That defense would win a title, Wizards would do it for the picks, and the Bulls could solidify their grip on the 9th seed.

White | Dosunmu
Lavine | Terry
DeRozan | Williams
Kuzma | Bogdanovic
Vucevic | Drummond
+ #11
+ #24
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 5,249

Post#500 » by Jeffrey » Sat May 4, 2024 9:01 pm

cgf wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:
Richard4444 wrote:

Desperate Miami & Brooklyn teams could make the bidding war trickier than it was last time though.

I don't see how Miami and Brooklyn can match us unless Cavs are rebuilding.

We can definitely dangle Randle or are you thinking it is Bojan + fillers + draft capital?

Return to New York Knicks