ImageImageImageImageImage

PG: 2nd Seed Baby!

Moderators: j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O

Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,658

Re: PG: 2nd Seed Baby! 

Post#341 » by Chanel Bomber » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:33 am

3toheadmelo wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:bro they won the chip, of course they're loaded :lol:
murray still played more games than randle. so jokic had more help than brunson did this season. jokic also has porter jr, aaron gordon (whos good, he had a big impact in their post season), 3 and d KCP and a bunch of high level role players off the bench (braun and peyton watson had breakout years).

embiid rightfully won last season if you asked me. he was the best player in the regular season. playoffs is a different story :lol:

sga and jokic had way more help than brunson did so of course their team records are going to be better. not only did we lose randle, we also didn't have OG for a while, ihart playing on one achilles the whole year, mitch out for majority of the year. and we still finished 2nd seed. i feel like you're severely underrating brunson to stan for jokic. be better chanel! lol

Denver had the better record, playing in a tougher conference, getting the same #2 seed as the Knicks, with all the individual impact stats hugely favoring Jok. There's no serious case for Jalen.

Brunson has had an incredible season worthy of a top 5 MVP case and All-NBA first team. I just think that putting him in the conversation with Jokic and SGA is either hyperbolic or premature. Those two and Embiid were in a class of their own this season in terms of impact. They've been playing at an all-time great level. Brunson has been great all season but he's just not on that historical tier yet.

All the metrics favor Jok and SGA (and Embiid who's not eligible). With the Knicks having a worse record than Denver and OKC, I really don't see the case for MVP. But first team All-NBA should be in play.

Jokic was better than Embiid by virtually every metric last season. The Embiid case was purely narrative driven. I thought Embiid was the clear-cut MVP this year until the injury, however.

you only looking at advanced stats. just a true terrible person chanel. i see why guan0 backstabbed you.
Read on Twitter

Oh we posting KnicksMuse now

I see, I see :lol:

Stop being so desperate 3toheadknicksmuse!!! Be better 3tohead, BE BETTER!!!!!!
Synciere
General Manager
And1: 4,659

Post#342 » by Synciere » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:40 am

knicksNOTslick wrote:
Galvationknicks wrote:
Wildcat wrote:
They wanted to get out of the 2/3 spot, which would be Miami/Philly. Throwing the game was more of a reaction to Bucks losing. If they won, and everyone else, they would be division champs and break the tie-breaker with both Bucks and Knicks. Poor display of sportsmanship. I can imagine any real competitor would be happy.

That's only if we lost them they would've. I went over to their board. They seem to be happy if they win a series and that's all

Last year's playoffs really did a number on them. They were supposed to be an up and coming team but then Brunson outplays DMitchell, Garland looked shook for half the series and then their bigs got bullied. Now their expectations are low because they know deep down they've got a soft team and they won't retool because they gave up a lot for Donovan so they can't lose him for nothing.

Winning a playoff series would be growth for them. Steady progression is usually how this goes. I get it.

Growth for the Knicks would be the Conference finals. That’s what makes the possibility of playing the Sixers in the first round so unsettling. They’re not a real 7th or 8th seed. 31-8 with Embiid makes them a #2 seed at worst over a full season. I’m not for tanking/throwing games for seeding and definitely don’t want to duck anyone, but matchups matter.

The best way for the Cavs to keep Spida is a deep playoff run this year.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM

Post#343 » by Chanel Bomber » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:04 am

mpharris36 wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:Jokic, Luka, SGA, Giannis and Tatum are elite-of-the-elite players.

Tatum is the only one who Brunson surpasses in some impact metrics, and he's the clear-cut best player on the best team. Otherwise there's a pretty clear separation between the other 4 and Brunson statistically.

And those metrics do factor in context.

Brunson being in top 5 MVP voting and All-NBA conversations is significant enough. There's no need to act like he's being robbed for not making first team. The guys above him are legends.

Not sure I would use the word "legend" for all those players.

I see two legends (Jokic and Giannis). I need more playoff success to put the rest in "legend" status. Luka probably closest to those 2 but needs to show out this post season. Tatum also needs to seal the deal since the celtics are by far the most talented team. Looking forward to seeing SGA running the show in his first post season as a true contender.

Luka and Tatum will likeky be remembered as legends too, though most likely a tier below Jok. They're on course, with a pretty strong resume already to build on. And this season only solidified that trajectory.

SGA's regular season rivaled Bron and MJ's prime years. Maybe just a notch below, but that's the territory he was in this year. 30+ ppg on 110 (!!!) TS+ as a guard, with All-NBA defense. His all-around impact was just greater than Brunson's. And if he keeps it up, he will enter an exclusive realm.

Brunson was incredible this year but he was not on that level imo. There's no shame in that, and there's still room for him to improve even further. Starting this postseason.
Guano
RealGM
And1: 41,904

Post#344 » by Guano » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:22 am

Chanel Bomber wrote:Jokic, Luka, SGA, Giannis and Tatum are elite-of-the-elite players.

Tatum is the only one who Brunson surpasses in some impact metrics, and he's the clear-cut best player on the best team. Otherwise there's a pretty clear separation between the other 4 and Brunson statistically.

Brunson being in top 5 MVP voting and All-NBA conversations is significant enough. There's no need to act like he's being robbed for not making first team. The guys above him are legends.

So is Brunson
Chanel Bomber wrote:This board really is full of bad people.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM

Post#345 » by Chanel Bomber » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:41 am

Guano wrote:

So is Brunson

Jalen has less of a track record and he's not on their level per practically all impact metrics. The only guy who ranks below him in some metrics is Tatum, and he's been on course for a HOF career since his rookie season, with an extensive playoff resume (not to mention the best record in the league this year).

It seems that most voters will vote Jalen All-NBA second team and #4 or #5 for MVP. And it won't be the byproduct of some anti-Knicks bias.

The hope is that Jalen sustains it for a few more years unlike Melo's 2012-13 season (who only had one more great season albeit on a mediocre team). I'm optimistic that he will. But he has more to achieve to reach that upper-upper tier.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 120,471

Post#346 » by 3toheadmelo » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:41 am

Chanel Bomber wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:Denver had the better record, playing in a tougher conference, getting the same #2 seed as the Knicks, with all the individual impact stats hugely favoring Jok. There's no serious case for Jalen.

Brunson has had an incredible season worthy of a top 5 MVP case and All-NBA first team. I just think that putting him in the conversation with Jokic and SGA is either hyperbolic or premature. Those two and Embiid were in a class of their own this season in terms of impact. They've been playing at an all-time great level. Brunson has been great all season but he's just not on that historical tier yet.

All the metrics favor Jok and SGA (and Embiid who's not eligible). With the Knicks having a worse record than Denver and OKC, I really don't see the case for MVP. But first team All-NBA should be in play.

Jokic was better than Embiid by virtually every metric last season. The Embiid case was purely narrative driven. I thought Embiid was the clear-cut MVP this year until the injury, however.

you only looking at advanced stats. just a true terrible person chanel. i see why guan0 backstabbed you.
Read on Twitter

You’re only talking about advanced stats!!! Mf are you related to Morey??!! Analytics ruined basketball talk!!!!
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 128,005

Post#347 » by god shammgod » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:56 am

the same argument people make for not trying to pick your opponent is the same argument people make for not throwing games at the end of the season to try to improve your draft pick. don't cheat the game or whatever silly sh*t. the sad fact is the knicks will be playing the 2nd round in the 1st round this year.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM

Post#348 » by Chanel Bomber » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:05 am

god shammgod wrote:the same argument people make for not trying to pick your opponent is the same argument people make for not throwing games at the end of the season to try to improve your draft pick. don't cheat the game or whatever silly sh*t. the sad fact is the knicks will be playing the 2nd round in the 1st round this year.

I think it's fine and justifiable that they went for it to fulfill this "play to win" mantra (which may very well be the psychological driver of their relative success), but just don't complain if you get your azz whooped by Embiid in the first round.

I do welcome the challenge of facing Miami/Philly to an extent, but I don't want to hear anything about the officials or about Thibs if we lose.

I do hope we get rematch vs Miami. But I wouldn't be surprised if they beat us in like 6 either.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM

Post#349 » by Chanel Bomber » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:07 am

3toheadmelo wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:you only looking at advanced stats. just a true terrible person chanel. i see why guan0 backstabbed you.
Read on Twitter

You’re only talking about advanced stats!!! Mf are you related to Morey??!! Analytics ruined basketball talk!!!!

Citing Mark Jackson is nasty :lol:
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,784

Post#350 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:25 am

Guano wrote:

So is Brunson

Chanel holding another Knick in low regard. Terrible but expected
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,895

Post#351 » by Deeeez Knicks » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:15 pm

god shammgod wrote:the same argument people make for not trying to pick your opponent is the same argument people make for not throwing games at the end of the season to try to improve your draft pick. don't cheat the game or whatever silly sh*t. the sad fact is the knicks will be playing the 2nd round in the 1st round this year.

Tougher first round, but they have guaranteed home court in the 2nd and avoid Boston until the conf finals. For most of the game it looked like they were getting the 4th seed if they lost.

I do think Indy would have been less tough of an opponent but don’t think any of this is clear cut as to the best path overall.

I just can’t be upset or blame anyone for getting the 2nd seed.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
EnigmatiC
General Manager
And1: 1,519

Post#352 » by EnigmatiC » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:26 pm

Giannis can not be top 5 in MVP this year. That team was way too disappointing. People had them penciled in for 60 wins and battling Boston for the top seed before the season started and they didn't even crack 50 wins.
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,430
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#353 » by BKlutch » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:27 pm

EnigmatiC wrote:Giannis can not be top 5 in MVP this year. That team was way too disappointing. People had them penciled in for 60 wins and battling Boston for the top seed before the season started and they didn't even crack 50 wins.

If a Knicks player helped them win 50 games, would he be top 5?

Nah, nobody is good enough to do that for the Knicks.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#354 » by Deeeez Knicks » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:33 pm

EnigmatiC wrote:Giannis can not be top 5 in MVP this year. That team was way too disappointing. People had them penciled in for 60 wins and battling Boston for the top seed before the season started and they didn't even crack 50 wins.

Yea, Brunson had a better season than Giannis and deserves the spot over him.
Mavs
EnigmatiC
General Manager
And1: 1,519

Post#355 » by EnigmatiC » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:41 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:

Agreed. MVP is not "best player award" which I think some people take it as.
Wildcat
RealGM
And1: 1,757

Post#356 » by Wildcat » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:44 pm

Synciere wrote:
knicksNOTslick wrote:
Galvationknicks wrote:That's only if we lost them they would've. I went over to their board. They seem to be happy if they win a series and that's all

Last year's playoffs really did a number on them. They were supposed to be an up and coming team but then Brunson outplays DMitchell, Garland looked shook for half the series and then their bigs got bullied. Now their expectations are low because they know deep down they've got a soft team and they won't retool because they gave up a lot for Donovan so they can't lose him for nothing.

Winning a playoff series would be growth for them. Steady progression is usually how this goes. I get it.

Growth for the Knicks would be the Conference finals. That’s what makes the possibility of playing the Sixers in the first round so unsettling. They’re not a real 7th or 8th seed. 31-8 with Embiid makes them a #2 seed at worst over a full season. I’m not for tanking/throwing games for seeding and definitely don’t want to duck anyone, but matchups matter.

The best way for the Cavs to keep Spida is a deep playoff run this year.

If Max's tone is reflective of the locker room due to them throwing the game, I'd push back on that. They split their season series. It's not a furlong conclusion that Orlando will give them problems. In fact, Orlando is just as physical as the Knicks are, so Cleveland is going to run into the same problems.

It's not also only about keeping Spida. It's a weak look organizationally. Just like it was a weak look for Dallas last year.
Lord Commander
Head Coach
And1: 1,734

Post#357 » by Lord Commander » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:59 pm

Great teams take on and beat all comers. That is all!! All this jockeying and throwing games is weak sauce.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 101,281

Post#358 » by mpharris36 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:29 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

Not sure I would use the word "legend" for all those players.

I see two legends (Jokic and Giannis). I need more playoff success to put the rest in "legend" status. Luka probably closest to those 2 but needs to show out this post season. Tatum also needs to seal the deal since the celtics are by far the most talented team. Looking forward to seeing SGA running the show in his first post season as a true contender.

Luka and Tatum will likeky be remembered as legends too, though most likely a tier below Jok. They're on course, with a pretty strong resume already to build on. And this season only solidified that trajectory.

SGA's regular season rivaled Bron and MJ's prime years. Maybe just a notch below, but that's the territory he was in this year. 30+ ppg on 110 (!!!) TS+ as a guard, with All-NBA defense. His all-around impact was just greater than Brunson's. And if he keeps it up, he will enter an exclusive realm.

Brunson was incredible this year but he was not on that level imo. There's no shame in that, and there's still room for him to improve even further. Starting this postseason.

I think when you factor what Brunson had to deal with this year in terms of production of his teammates in terms of missed games. Yes it does rival those guys IMO.

This year Brunson was playing with

Dont DiVincenzo - played a majority of his career off the bench
Josh Hart - who is a connector bench type piece on a good team
Ihart - played his entire career mostly off the bench
Precious or McBride - also bench pieces (you can say fringe rotational pieces before this year)

And got that team to 50 wins.

SGA had Chet + Williams two studs
Tatum had the best starting 5 to play with this year.

What Brunson had to do this year in terms of carrying the offensive load was unmatched in the NBA. Probably the only player that rivals that is Jokic since the entire offense runs through him in Denver.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#359 » by Deeeez Knicks » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:42 pm

This is our culture now

Read on Twitter
?s=61&t=oWAQ5JzX5AK-44v89eypvw
Mavs
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,187

Post#360 » by moocow007 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:23 pm

EnigmatiC wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:

Agreed. MVP is not "best player award" which I think some people take it as.

That's actually an excellent point. It's not hard to argue that Brunson has been more valuable to his team than any other player on any other team this season. And that "most VALUABLE" award should have his name in strong consideration.

This is coming from someone that didn't think Brunson was all that and someone that generally doesn't over hype "anything Knicks".

Return to New York Knicks