ImageImageImageImageImage

Around the NBA - Continued to bloodcl--

Moderators: j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O

god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 128,286

Re: Around the NBA - Continued to bloodcl-- 

Post#1661 » by god shammgod » Thu May 2, 2024 3:59 pm

I think the era we’re in is a transitional one and the older players are starting to be phased out. They can’t dominate like they once did. Thats all it is.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 92,922

Post#1662 » by Capn'O » Thu May 2, 2024 4:05 pm

god shammgod wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
aggo wrote:Devin booker on the knicks would make us suck
Read on Twitter

Timberwolves have ANT/Towns/Gobert, 3 players who are or were All-NBA as recently as 2021 and 3 players who are in their primes at various stages.

Seems like a pretty clear "Big 3".

They’re not fully developed but okc has a pretty clear big 3 too

And Denver has clear star power.

These teams are built more like the old Spurs/KG Celtics than the Heatles though and I think that's more the point. You can't just throw guys together unless they're all timers in their prime like LeBron/Wade. You need your top players to fit and you need depth.

If Durant/Beal were younger, I would have predicted that the Suns would fall but later on. That team was just ill conceived.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#1663 » by god shammgod » Thu May 2, 2024 4:08 pm

Capn'O wrote:
god shammgod wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
Timberwolves have ANT/Towns/Gobert, 3 players who are or were All-NBA as recently as 2021 and 3 players who are in their primes at various stages.

They’re not fully developed but okc has a pretty clear big 3 too

To an extent but I wouldn’t say Denver has depth this year. Or the Celtics really. Hell, they pretty much have a big 4.
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#1664 » by god shammgod » Thu May 2, 2024 4:13 pm

The suns just made a bad trade. Beal isn’t a big anything anymore. Like Melo at the end or Westbrook now. He’s just a name.
Wildcat
RealGM
And1: 1,795

Post#1665 » by Wildcat » Thu May 2, 2024 4:15 pm

Colbinii wrote:
Read on Twitter

Depends on what your definition of a Big 3 is. I'm sure some context also manners. I'll be honest, Phoenix does not have a Big 3. I hate that narrative. It's just something pretty to attach to a trio for conversation sake. I think Beal is a good person, but he put on those numbers on a losing team.

T-Wolves success on their Big 3 is really because of their individual parts, namely Conley and Reed, along with Edwards leadership. Unless this team makes the Finals, I team will be in danger of breaking up.
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,402

Post#1666 » by sol537 » Thu May 2, 2024 4:16 pm

god shammgod wrote:The suns just made a bad trade. Beal isn’t a big anything anymore. Like Melo at the end or Westbrook now. He’s just a name.

More than a name... he's a dude getting paid $55m+ for 3 more years :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,185

Post#1667 » by Colbinii » Thu May 2, 2024 4:17 pm

Wildcat wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
Read on Twitter

Depends on what your definition of a Big 3 is. I'm sure some context also manners. I'll be honest, Phoenix does not have a Big 3. I hate that narrative. It's just something pretty to attach to a trio for conversation sake. I think Beal is a good person, but he put on those numbers on a losing team.

T-Wolves success on their Big 3 is really because of their individual parts, namely Conley and Reed, along with Edwards leadership. Unless this team makes the Finals, I team will be in danger of breaking up.

McDaniels is far more important to the Timberwolves than Naz Reid is.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
aggo
RealGM
And1: 6,371

Post#1668 » by aggo » Thu May 2, 2024 4:26 pm

god shammgod wrote:The suns just made a bad trade. Beal isn’t a big anything anymore. Like Melo at the end or Westbrook now. He’s just a name.

I mean ur talking about the beal trade like it can be fixed no problem.
Reign23
RealGM
And1: 11,165

Post#1669 » by Reign23 » Thu May 2, 2024 4:27 pm

I knew we were due for a james harden playoff-classic performance.
formerly known as knickst4pe
sol537
RealGM

Post#1670 » by sol537 » Thu May 2, 2024 4:30 pm

god shammgod wrote:I think the era we’re in is a transitional one and the older players are starting to be phased out. They can’t dominate like they once did. Thats all it is.

KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,911

Post#1671 » by KnicksGadfly » Thu May 2, 2024 4:33 pm

Damn Jimmy Butler gonna seek a max extension. Pretty sure he’s gonna be on the market soon.
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#1672 » by god shammgod » Thu May 2, 2024 4:34 pm

aggo wrote:

I mean ur talking about the beal trade like it can be fixed no problem.

you're misinterpreting what i'm saying. i'm saying they traded for a 3rd star who is no longer a star. he's just a guy.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 120,746

Post#1673 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu May 2, 2024 4:35 pm

some people here really thought the heat had a chance since they won game 2. sad
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#1674 » by god shammgod » Thu May 2, 2024 4:38 pm

i've been around long enough to hear that you have to win this way or that way many times. and that lasts until somebody wins a different way and then they say that way is now how you have to win. generally, you win by having one of the top 5, and 5 may be generous, players in the game at the time with adequate help. the form that help comes in can vary. the system they play can vary. it's mostly about having that guy.
Wildcat
RealGM
And1: 1,795

Post#1675 » by Wildcat » Thu May 2, 2024 4:47 pm

Colbinii wrote:
Wildcat wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Him too. My point is that have a more complete team.
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,835

Post#1676 » by cgmw » Thu May 2, 2024 4:47 pm

Colbinii wrote:
Wildcat wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

The clear difference is that the failed group of Superteams used trades to acquire outside talent who had already developed elsewhere.

The cheat code Leon figured out was to assemble a group of young, hungry outsiders who have an existing history together. The Brunson family Knick DNA also mitigated the Superteam failure potential.

I’m skeptical of Booker making us better. What fans and commentators consistently fail to recognize is that basketball is a team sport and the TEAM often gets worse when you add the wrong talented individuals.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
sol537
RealGM

Post#1677 » by sol537 » Thu May 2, 2024 4:48 pm

god shammgod wrote:i've been around long enough to hear that you have to win this way or that way many times. and that lasts until somebody wins a different way and then they say that way is now how you have to win. generally, you win by having one of the top 5, and 5 may be generous, players in the game at the time with adequate help. the form that help comes in can vary. the system they play can vary. it's mostly about having that guy.

1) One top ~5 player
2) Smart, strategic coach
3) A top 10 defense that makes things difficult
4) Clutch players that don't shy from the big moments
5) A 2nd guy who can consistently create high % offense
6) At least 2 defensive "stopper" types; preferably 3+

That seems to be the general recipe. It's implied that the team fits well together like a jigsaw puzzle and that they have great team chemistry. Missing any of those things... your chances go down significantly. We currently have everything except that 2nd go-to guy (Randle?) and the jury's still out whether Thibs can be that championship coach... he certainly lost my trust/faith in the last game..
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 92,922

Post#1678 » by Capn'O » Thu May 2, 2024 4:50 pm

god shammgod wrote:i've been around long enough to hear that you have to win this way or that way many times. and that lasts until somebody wins a different way and then they say that way is now how you have to win. generally, you win by having one of the top 5, and 5 may be generous, players in the game at the time with adequate help. the form that help comes in can vary. the system they play can vary. it's mostly about having that guy.

Then the Knicks shouldn't be entertaining the Donovan Mitchells, KATs, Old Durants, Old LeBrons, etc. of the world when they're already a good team.

I think Booker could work because every once in awhile you get a good team construction that can take out better players. But otherwise you're praying Giannis shakes loose as he's the only one of those top tier guys who has a chance of leaving anytime soon.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Reign23
RealGM
And1: 11,165

Post#1679 » by Reign23 » Thu May 2, 2024 4:51 pm

your absolutely right. who won a title w/o a top 5 player in the last 30 years. might still be only the 04 Pistons. Maybe the 08 Celtics, but they had a legit big three who fitted each other perfectly.
formerly known as knickst4pe
sol537
RealGM

Post#1680 » by sol537 » Thu May 2, 2024 4:52 pm

Capn'O wrote:

Then the Knicks shouldn't be entertaining the Donovan Mitchells, KATs, Old Durants, Old LeBrons, etc. of the world when they're already a good team.

I think Booker could work because every once in awhile you get a good team construction that can take out better players. But otherwise you're praying Giannis shakes loose as he's the only one of those top tier guys who has a chance of leaving anytime soon.

We still need that 2nd go to scorer and we may still need to find our championship coach... (Thibs is probably not that guy)...

Return to New York Knicks