ImageImageImageImageImage

Around the NBA - Continued to bloodcl--

Moderators: j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O

FrozenEnvelope
Veteran
And1: 3,747

Re: Around the NBA - Continued to bloodcl-- 

Post#1681 » by FrozenEnvelope » Thu May 2, 2024 4:53 pm

Capn'O wrote:
god shammgod wrote:i've been around long enough to hear that you have to win this way or that way many times. and that lasts until somebody wins a different way and then they say that way is now how you have to win. generally, you win by having one of the top 5, and 5 may be generous, players in the game at the time with adequate help. the form that help comes in can vary. the system they play can vary. it's mostly about having that guy.

Then the Knicks shouldn't be entertaining the Donovan Mitchells, KATs, Old Durants, Old LeBrons, etc. of the world when they're already a good team.

I think Booker could work because every once in awhile you get a good team construction that can take out better players. But otherwise you're praying Giannis shakes loose as he's the only one of those top tier guys who has a chance of leaving anytime soon.

It's unbelievable how fans are still craving for the "super team" when it's been proven it doesn't work anymore. Keep the picks, continue to make smart free agent signings and trades and built around Brunson. Don't go backwards and make this a circus with someone like LeBum and KD.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 128,311

Post#1682 » by god shammgod » Thu May 2, 2024 4:54 pm

Capn'O wrote:
god shammgod wrote:i've been around long enough to hear that you have to win this way or that way many times. and that lasts until somebody wins a different way and then they say that way is now how you have to win. generally, you win by having one of the top 5, and 5 may be generous, players in the game at the time with adequate help. the form that help comes in can vary. the system they play can vary. it's mostly about having that guy.

Then the Knicks shouldn't be entertaining the Donovan Mitchells, KATs, Old Durants, Old LeBrons, etc. of the world when they're already a good team.

I think Booker could work because every once in awhile you get a good team construction that can take out better players. But otherwise you're praying Giannis shakes loose as he's the only one of those top tier guys who has a chance of leaving anytime soon.

you also can't just wait for one of those guys to fall in your lap when you have someone like jalen in his prime. you could end up waiting too long. it's a conundrum.
Wildcat
RealGM
And1: 1,797

Post#1683 » by Wildcat » Thu May 2, 2024 4:55 pm

sol537 wrote:
Capn'O wrote:

We still need that 2nd go to scorer and we may still need to find our championship coach... (Thibs is probably not that guy)...

Thibs ain't going anywhere and Randle is this team's 2nd (and on occasion 1st) option. I don't think the Knicks are going to blow something up until they see what they actually have with this group.
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#1684 » by god shammgod » Thu May 2, 2024 4:59 pm

sol537 wrote:

1) One top ~5 player
2) Smart, strategic coach
3) A top 10 defense that makes things difficult
4) Clutch players that don't shy from the big moments
5) A 2nd guy who can consistently create high % offense
6) At least 2 defensive "stopper" types; preferably 3+

That seems to be the general recipe. It's implied that the team fits well together like a jigsaw puzzle and that they have great team chemistry. Missing any of those things... your chances go down significantly. We currently have everything except that 2nd go-to guy (Randle?) and the jury's still out whether Thibs can be that championship coach... he certainly lost my trust/faith in the last game..

number 2.... how smart ? there's some pretty mediocre coaches with titles. they mostly only have 1 though.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 120,746

Post#1685 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu May 2, 2024 4:59 pm

Read on Twitter
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 92,924

Post#1686 » by Capn'O » Thu May 2, 2024 5:00 pm

god shammgod wrote:
Capn'O wrote:

you also can't just wait for one of those guys to fall in your lap when you have someone like jalen in his prime. you could end up waiting too long. it's a conundrum.

Right.

I'm all for upgrading talent. But we need to be verrrrry picky if it isn't one of those top tier guys. Has to check the fit and talent boxes.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#1687 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu May 2, 2024 5:02 pm

we're probably getting donovan mitchell. can't wait to win 60 games and the chip next year
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#1688 » by god shammgod » Thu May 2, 2024 5:03 pm

Capn'O wrote:
god shammgod wrote:
Capn'O wrote:

Right.

I'm all for upgrading talent. But we need to be verrrrry picky if it isn't one of those top tier guys. Has to check the fit and talent boxes.

i think then it's about price. booker/durant probably are gonna cost too much. could we get lebron for relatively cheap ?
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,919

Post#1689 » by KnicksGadfly » Thu May 2, 2024 5:05 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:some people here really thought the heat had a chance since they won game 2. sad

The most we could hope for was the Heat to slow down the Celtics, which they pretty much did. I think KP's injury is gonna be big, and I think we all saw Bam tried to do to Tatum. I think the Knicks would have beat Miami too, but I wanted to avoid them for that reason. Then I learned Embiid is just as dirty.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks

Post#1690 » by Capn'O » Thu May 2, 2024 5:06 pm

god shammgod wrote:could we get lebron for relatively cheap ?

I have doubts.
BAF Clippers

Wildcat
RealGM
And1: 1,797

Post#1691 » by Wildcat » Thu May 2, 2024 5:08 pm

KnicksGadfly wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:some people here really thought the heat had a chance since they won game 2. sad

The most we could hope for was the Heat to slow down the Celtics, which they pretty much did. I think KP's injury is gonna be big, and I think we all saw Bam tried to do to Tatum. I think the Knicks would have beat Miami too, but I wanted to avoid them for that reason. Then I learned Embiid is just as dirty.

Yeah, very few people thought the Heat can do something. It's why I wanted the Bulls in there. Disappointed that never happened. I personally wanted this to go to Game 6.
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#1692 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu May 2, 2024 5:09 pm

KnicksGadfly wrote:

kp been getting hurt all year. and tatum is fine. the heat didn't do anything to them at all. they were coasting the whole series.

i hope to see tatum x bam on the same team one day like i have in baf for the past 7 years. would be cool to see.
Read on Twitter
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks

Post#1693 » by Capn'O » Thu May 2, 2024 5:10 pm

And just generally, he just got knocked out of the playoffs surrounded by AD, Rui, DLo, Reaves, and a few other decent role players. Granted against the Nuggets. But how much further is he getting us than just adding Randle back?
BAF Clippers

god shammgod
RealGM

Post#1694 » by god shammgod » Thu May 2, 2024 5:20 pm

Capn'O wrote:And just generally, he just got knocked out of the playoffs surrounded by AD, Rui, DLo, Reaves, and a few other decent role players. Granted against the Nuggets. But how much further is he getting us than just adding Randle back?

well, it depends. so far randle has been dismal in the playoffs. twice. we can assume he won't be in the future but who really knows. plus even at this age lebron is clearly the better defender. put it like this, with jalen sitting or just off, who are you more confident in that they could carry us ? does it mean we're winning a title for sure ? no. it might just be denver's time right now and nobody is for a few years.
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,844

Post#1695 » by cgmw » Thu May 2, 2024 5:32 pm

god shammgod wrote:
sol537 wrote:

1) One top ~5 player
2) Smart, strategic coach
3) A top 10 defense that makes things difficult
4) Clutch players that don't shy from the big moments
5) A 2nd guy who can consistently create high % offense
6) At least 2 defensive "stopper" types; preferably 3+

That seems to be the general recipe. It's implied that the team fits well together like a jigsaw puzzle and that they have great team chemistry. Missing any of those things... your chances go down significantly. We currently have everything except that 2nd go-to guy (Randle?) and the jury's still out whether Thibs can be that championship coach... he certainly lost my trust/faith in the last game..

number 2.... how smart ? there's some pretty mediocre coaches with titles. they mostly only have 1 though.

Hot take:

Thibs created Super Brunson. The Thibs offense is so basic, so predictable that he’s essentially D’Antoni to ball-dominant dribble-drive PGs.

I will hear no slander to Thibs name in a season where Jalen Brunson became a top 5 player. Not to mention Donte, iHart, Mitch, and Hart playing out of their Gotdamn minds as role players in Thibs basic-ass offense. Oh, and let’s not forget Julius Randle twice named All-NBA under Thibs and Thibs’ rudimentary 5-out iso offense.

Thibs is an incredible coach. The issue becomes can Thibs still be an incredible coach when he has 3 or more superstars sharing the ball. Do they just take turns playing 5-out iso dribble-attack? Will that work? I have my doubts.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,406

Post#1696 » by sol537 » Thu May 2, 2024 5:47 pm

A championship coach does not leave Robinson in the game for the last 5-10 minutes (including OT) to get repeatedly abused by simple Maxey hand off three’s that may have cost us the series, especially when Precious shut that down late in the last game to perfection.

Championship coaches don’t make those blunders.
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 30,425

Post#1697 » by Fat Kat » Thu May 2, 2024 9:39 pm

Read on Twitter
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
Juco24
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,245

Post#1698 » by Juco24 » Thu May 2, 2024 11:22 pm

Watching the Bucks/Pacers... ugly basketball. Maybe just me, but neither team scares me
Ghetto Gospel
Analyst
And1: 2,745

Post#1699 » by Ghetto Gospel » Thu May 2, 2024 11:24 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#1700 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu May 2, 2024 11:40 pm

Ghetto Gospel wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

he did that to retirement melo lol

Return to New York Knicks