ImageImageImageImageImage

PG: Our Guys Stepped Up Down the Stretch

Moderators: j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O

Galvationknicks
Head Coach
And1: 5,056

Re: PG: Our Guys Stepped Up Down the Stretch + A Message from The POTUS 

Post#541 » by Galvationknicks » Fri May 3, 2024 10:01 am

knicks94 wrote:I was super ecstatic after this win, but now I feel disgruntled because Mike Francesa is once again making excuses for the Sixers losing this series. He mentions how Embiid was playing tired and injured whenever the Sixers lost in the series, but whenever the Sixers won in the series the injuries were a non factor. What must the Knicks do to win this guy over?

Why are you still listening to Francesa???
So many ppl are better than him now. Liked the show with him and Maddog but after the breakup I didn't listen to him no more. I didn't listen them that much though
JB is Him
knicks94
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,052

Post#542 » by knicks94 » Fri May 3, 2024 10:14 am

Galvationknicks wrote:
knicks94 wrote:I was super ecstatic after this win, but now I feel disgruntled because Mike Francesa is once again making excuses for the Sixers losing this series. He mentions how Embiid was playing tired and injured whenever the Sixers lost in the series, but whenever the Sixers won in the series the injuries were a non factor. What must the Knicks do to win this guy over?

So many ppl are better than him now. Liked the show with him and Maddog but after the breakup I didn't listen to him no more. I didn't listen them that much though

I listen to him because I've been doing so for decades.And I don't really have the time to sift through different podcasters these days to find one I can enjoy.
jvsimonetti0514
General Manager
And1: 8,065

Post#543 » by jvsimonetti0514 » Fri May 3, 2024 10:14 am

Read on Twitter
I'm apart of a Knicks podcast! You Should check it out!
youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWW9GUVpNULS97PyptXXU4w
Reign23
RealGM
And1: 11,165

Post#544 » by Reign23 » Fri May 3, 2024 10:36 am

what a rollercoaster of a game. incredible win, great series. almost deserved a game 7 tbh :lol:
formerly known as knickst4pe
HopelessKnick
Starter
And1: 1,698

Post#545 » by HopelessKnick » Fri May 3, 2024 11:02 am

Reign23 wrote:what a rollercoaster of a game. incredible win, great series. almost deserved a game 7 tbh :lol:

Luckily we didn't get one....it was nerve wrecking enough the way it went....also with guys banged up I think everybody is happy with 3 days rest. Game 7 would have left us in bad shape for game 1.

One small sidenote here: We talked a lot about seeding and everything and some wanted us to tank and drop to 3 or 4 even to avoid the Sixers.

In the end it turned out to be exactly the right move NOT to tank: We played the Sixers with homecourt and Embiid only at 80% (as per his own words) and beat them. Indiana beat shorthanded Milwaukee and we face them now in the second round with big time confidence and homecourt. Had we dropped, we would have played either Indy or Cle/ORl in the first round which look every bit as tough as the Sixers and would then have had to face the Sixers in the 2nd round (possibly with a more in shape Embiid) or Milwaukee without homecourt and Giannis and Lillard possibly back and healthy. We now have a very realistic chance at the ECF against the Pacers, which would be an absolute tremendous achievement given the circumstances. So essentially the NOT-tanking worked out completely in our favor. Dropping to 3 let alone 4 would have likely made our road to the ECF more difficult, not easier.
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 39,411

Post#546 » by KnicksGod » Fri May 3, 2024 11:07 am

sol537 wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:Paul Reed chucking a wild shot was a peaceful way to end a wrenching series and validated the foul strategy

You mean Hield?

I thought the last shot was Reed

lol
Guano
RealGM
And1: 42,485

Post#547 » by Guano » Fri May 3, 2024 11:10 am

3toheadmelo wrote:
Guano wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:Only caught the last couple mins of the game ima need to rewatch it this weekend

you good?

Yeah I was moving in my new place

congrats homie!
Chanel Bomber wrote:This board really is full of bad people.
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#548 » by KnicksGod » Fri May 3, 2024 11:18 am

robillionaire wrote:Why didn’t we tank for the pacers. Philly is too good. Real #2 seed. So so so good.

Oubre has become a good player

Maxey was not good — needs to smooth out those bumps in his game to game

Embiid is a monster obv

6ers probably could even give Boston a good series
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#549 » by KnicksGod » Fri May 3, 2024 11:21 am

To be outscored by 32, when we got behind by 10 after being up by 22, that’s a good job to hang in and win

No quit

In a playoff game

You’d rather not ever get outscored by 32 at any point but it certainly shows heart to pull that out
will
RealGM
And1: 49,943
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#550 » by will » Fri May 3, 2024 11:23 am

TheGreenArrow wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=W09F6FrMDfp5_y1gKYgF1g

Perk paying homage to or ripping off Big Body Bes?
will
RealGM
And1: 49,943
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#551 » by will » Fri May 3, 2024 11:24 am

jvsimonetti0514 wrote:
Read on Twitter

The same guy who was rapping Ja Rule's New York?
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 120,746

Post#552 » by 3toheadmelo » Fri May 3, 2024 11:25 am

Guano wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
Guano wrote:

you good?

Yeah I was moving in my new place

congrats homie!

Thanks bro!
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,911

Post#553 » by KnicksGadfly » Fri May 3, 2024 11:53 am

Josh Hart…the man really redeemed himself. Missed a free throw, took the deciding three. Sixers kept leaving him open. Philly fans said it was all a fluke the whole series…now they get to say it the whole offseason!

That late game sequence…I think the team really needed that. It was basically redemption for what happened the previous game. They’ll be stronger because of Game 5.
spree8
RealGM
And1: 6,366

Post#554 » by spree8 » Fri May 3, 2024 11:56 am

Reign23 wrote:almost deserved a game 7 tbh :lol:

Yea no thanks, that would’ve been it for me

KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,911

Post#555 » by KnicksGadfly » Fri May 3, 2024 12:02 pm

https://theathletic.com/5468823/2024/05/03/knicks-win-series-philadelphia-76ers/

The scene could have been a replay from 48 hours earlier, but this time it went better for the New York Knicks.

With the Knicks up by a point and, for the second time in three days, hoping to close out a first-round series, Donte DiVincenzo stepped to the free-throw line. At this moment, they knew that far more important than a game of basketball was a game of telephone.

Two nights earlier, with the Knicks caught up in another tight battle with the Philadelphia 76ers, Josh Hart hit only one of two free throws, extending the Knicks’ lead to three with 15 seconds to go. Anyone who’s into drama knows what happened next: The Knicks didn’t intentionally foul, even though they were supposed to do so. Tyrese Maxey tied the score with a 3-pointer from Hoboken. And the 76ers won in overtime to extend the series to Game 6.

The Knicks said after Tuesday’s final buzzer that they miscommunicated, that head coach Tom Thibodeau wanted them to foul up three but the message was not conveyed.

That was not about to happen again.

As DiVincenzo waited for the basketball, ready to shoot two free throws that could put the Knicks up three, Knicks players scrambled to one another, reminding each one of the situation. Everyone on the floor knew the plan: If DiVincenzo sank both freebies, they would intentionally foul.

This time, that’s exactly what they did.

DiVincenzo nailed them both. Miles “Deuce” McBride, the same person who failed to intentionally foul Tuesday, swiped at Maxey in the backcourt, long before he could toss up a prayer of a shot. The Knicks and Sixers traded off free throws. And it helped New York close out a 118-115 win and, more importantly, the series, four games to two.

“Sometimes when something like that happens, it crystalizes the thinking for everybody,” Knicks head coach Tom Thibodeau said. “And we’re not gonna be perfect. We’re gonna make mistakes along the way. And I think you see that here.”

The Knicks will face the Indiana Pacers, who just polished off a six-game victory over the Milwaukee Bucks, in the second round of the playoffs. Game 1 is scheduled for Monday.

New York will make mistakes in that series, too. Just like against Philly, it will have to learn from them.

Part of the reason the Knicks have made it this far, that they have won a playoff series for two consecutive seasons, the first time this franchise has accomplished that feat in 24 years, is that their blunders make them better.

They botched the end of Game 5, so they made sure not to do the same in Game 6.

Thursday, they hit big shots. They fouled when they were supposed to do it. On another possession, when the Sixers ran a play inside the final minute with the Knicks up three, Thibodeau knew Philadelphia had to go for a triple. Instead of leaving a conventional center on the floor, as he did in Game 5, when Mitchell Robinson fouled Maxey on a four-point play, he subbed in McBride for a small, switch-everything lineup that pitted OG Anunoby at center. It got a stop.

The Knicks noticed what did not work, and they adjusted.

They placed various defenders on Maxey after he went for 46 in Game 5. Thursday, he scored only 17 points on 18 shots. In Game 6, DiVincenzo started on him.

They revised their double-teams of Joel Embiid. By the second half of Game 6, they were defending the reigning MVP straight up, not doubling except for in emergency situations. Until then, they shook up where the double-teams came from, sometimes from two passes away, other times from the baseline.

The Knicks didn’t just win Game 6 because they had been there before.

Hart hit a go-ahead 3-pointer with 25.6 seconds to go and finished with 16 points, 14 rebounds and seven assists. Anunoby went off in the second half, disrupting passing lanes and eviscerating Embiid on a fourth-quarter dunk. He finished with 19 points and nine boards. DiVincenzo rediscovered his shot, going for 23 points and seven assists while dropping in five 3-pointers.

And then there was Jalen Brunson, who splurged for 41 points and 12 assists. He has now scored 39-plus points in four consecutive playoff games, the first time that has happened since 1993, when Michael Jordan did it.

“This was a really big test for us and we were able to come out on top,” Brunson said. “Going forward … it might be a different test, maybe something completely different. But this definitely helps, and obviously you want to learn while winning, so obviously we’re still playing and we want to get better.”

This is why the Knicks expressed no interest in tanking out of the No. 2 seed at the end of the season. Others in the league, such as the Cleveland Cavaliers, feared the 76ers, who cratered to seventh place while Embiid was hurt, enough to intentionally lose on the final day of the regular season. But New York wanted this position.

Now, this group is set up well because of its second-place finish.

The Knicks pushed and shoved their way past the Sixers in Round 1. They own home-court advantage in Round 2 — and they’d have it even if the Pacers hadn’t upset the Bucks. The Knicks — yes, the New York Knicks — will be the favorites to go to their first Eastern Conference finals since 2000.

But that doesn’t mean Indiana will be a picnic.

The Pacers glide through games. They are speed demons in transition. The Tyrese Haliburton-Myles Turner pick-and-pop is one of the NBA’s most dangerous actions. The Knicks will encounter loads of problems in Round 2 they haven’t seen before.

A season ago, they faced a lower seed in the Eastern Conference semifinals, and it did not go well for them, losing to the Miami Heat in six. But the Knicks tend to learn from their mistakes.

It’s a good trait to boast come playoff time.

“In the playoffs, crazy stuff happens,” Thibodeau said. “And then it’s how you respond.”
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,842

Post#556 » by MrDollarBills » Fri May 3, 2024 12:06 pm

knicks94 wrote:
Galvationknicks wrote:

I listen to him because I've been doing so for decades.And I don't really have the time to sift through different podcasters these days to find one I can enjoy.

I enjoy Michael Kay's show because Don LaGreca is my guy, but I'm a Yankees homer so I'm probably in the minority. I cannot stand Francesca
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#557 » by MrDollarBills » Fri May 3, 2024 12:09 pm

will wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=W09F6FrMDfp5_y1gKYgF1g

Perk paying homage to or ripping off Big Body Bes?

For some reason people who like all flats are weird to me. But Big Perk is cool af

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#558 » by MrDollarBills » Fri May 3, 2024 12:10 pm

KnicksGadfly wrote:Josh Hart…the man really redeemed himself. Missed a free throw, took the deciding three. Sixers kept leaving him open. Philly fans said it was all a fluke the whole series…now they get to say it the whole offseason!

That late game sequence…I think the team really needed that. It was basically redemption for what happened the previous game. They’ll be stronger because of Game 5.

Game 5 was a learning moment for everyone. Your focus has to be on point in the playoffs

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#559 » by MrDollarBills » Fri May 3, 2024 12:12 pm

rajajackal wrote:just got home from philly. they hated our asses out there. my one brother got kicked out the bar afterparty just off having his starks jersey on. salty ass frustrated ass city. i could tell you a handful of stories, but my ass is tired. great win. finished it like we started it - neck and neck with a hell of a rival. glad to put them behind us. diamonds cut diamonds, etc. i feel sorry for who gotta compete with us after this. i'll make the next GT closer to the date of game 1...

Did yall have the toolie on you? :lol:

aggo
RealGM
And1: 6,371

Post#560 » by aggo » Fri May 3, 2024 12:23 pm