ImageImageImageImageImage

Which star player is going to ask to be traded to the Knicks?

Moderators: j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O

SelbyCobra
General Manager
And1: 18,364

Re: Which star player is going to ask to be traded to the Knicks? 

Post#141 » by SelbyCobra » Sun May 5, 2024 3:04 pm

I know a lot of people are feeling the good vibes about Julius' fit with this team that is currently looking tough without him. The feeling is he'll be a pure addition, just put his great production on top of an already highly competitive roster, but I'm not there with it. I still remember the meltdowns, the hothead mental lapses, the sulking, the plays off, the big moment free throws, and the intermittent lack of effort defensively. Add the major injury preventing getting a look at him in the postseason pressure cooker this year, and I have a lot of concern about keeping him on this team as a vital piece of the roster AND salary cap - Julius is eligible for a 4/190M extension this offseason. At this point I'm just not personally comfortable with him at whatever his new deal ends up being.

Could I be wrong? Absolutely, I'm not arguing that this is black and white. But for me personally there's too much negative history for me to feel comfortable locking him in as a cornerstone piece of this team as they begin to open a potential championship contention window.
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,927

Post#142 » by KnixinSix » Sun May 5, 2024 3:36 pm

SelbyCobra wrote:I know a lot of people are feeling the good vibes about Julius' fit with this team that is currently looking tough without him. The feeling is he'll be a pure addition, just put his great production on top of an already highly competitive roster, but I'm not there with it. I still remember the meltdowns, the hothead mental lapses, the sulking, the plays off, the big moment free throws, and the intermittent lack of effort defensively. Add the major injury preventing getting a look at him in the postseason pressure cooker this year, and I have a lot of concern about keeping him on this team as a vital piece of the roster AND salary cap - Julius is eligible for a 4/190M extension this offseason. At this point I'm just not personally comfortable with him at whatever his new deal ends up being.

Could I be wrong? Absolutely, I'm not arguing that this is black and white. But for me personally there's too much negative history for me to feel comfortable locking him in as a cornerstone piece of this team as they begin to open a potential championship contention window.

If you keep him and sign a guy like Bridges or Mitchell, his offense is no longer as much a critical 2nd option but depending on the night he could be the 3rd option.
For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2nd Corinthians 4:6
HopelessKnick
Starter
And1: 1,699

Post#143 » by HopelessKnick » Sun May 5, 2024 4:22 pm

KnixinSix wrote:
SelbyCobra wrote:I know a lot of people are feeling the good vibes about Julius' fit with this team that is currently looking tough without him. The feeling is he'll be a pure addition, just put his great production on top of an already highly competitive roster, but I'm not there with it. I still remember the meltdowns, the hothead mental lapses, the sulking, the plays off, the big moment free throws, and the intermittent lack of effort defensively. Add the major injury preventing getting a look at him in the postseason pressure cooker this year, and I have a lot of concern about keeping him on this team as a vital piece of the roster AND salary cap - Julius is eligible for a 4/190M extension this offseason. At this point I'm just not personally comfortable with him at whatever his new deal ends up being.

If you keep him and sign a guy like Bridges or Mitchell, his offense is no longer as much a critical 2nd option but depending on the night he could be the 3rd option.

It really depends on how high the extension is going to be. Essentially he is 29 years old and a 3time all-star getting you 25/10/5 and his team has made the playoffs repeatedly. If you sign him to a reasonable extension you can take a look at him in the playoffs and still trade him if he doesn't perform. If you sign him to a reasonable deal like before, he will hold enough value to get out of the deal if he can't perform. There will be a level of interest in him even then. It is not a either vs. or situation imo.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,896

Post#144 » by RHODEY » Sun May 5, 2024 4:34 pm

He's cut down a lot this year on the boneheaded emotional antics.....to the point where I think he must have gotten professional help...the difference was that stark to me. My only issue with him are the turnovers...but I take that as part of the package.... 24 and 10 on top of what we already have is certainly nothing to sneeze at.
RHODEY
RealGM

Post#145 » by RHODEY » Sun May 5, 2024 4:35 pm

KnixinSix wrote:

Bridges yeah...Mitchell unbalances the roster because he'll cost to much and he's a high usage midget.
Guano
RealGM
And1: 42,671

Post#146 » by Guano » Mon May 6, 2024 1:25 pm

booker pls
Chanel Bomber wrote:This board really is full of bad people.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 27,034

Post#147 » by WaltFrazier » Mon May 6, 2024 1:52 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:This might get filed in the "will never happen" category, but what about Draymond Green? We'll ask him to relax a bit, and not try to intimidate the other team all by himself (we have other defenders). Trade Bogs and a First Rounder . . . gun to my head, I'll throw in a future first as well), for Draymond - works straight up.

For NY - we don't have to keep playing Josh 48 minutes and OG can play fewer minutes too. Get another Thibs player.

For GS - it might be time for them to rebuild.

It's a stupid longshot, but . . . maybe? Am I ca-razy?

If GSW has to move a player, what about Wiggins. Had some family issues that caused him to miss games for 2 years, but when they beat Boston he played great D on Tatum. Athletic, can score and shoot the 3. Might fit in a wing rotation with OG and Randle, provide depth.

I've no idea about salary fit or what it would cost to get him.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
Wildcat
RealGM
And1: 1,797

Post#148 » by Wildcat » Mon May 6, 2024 2:05 pm

This is like, "Tell me you didn't watch Randle play this season without telling me you didn't watch Randle play this season."

Even before the OG trade, Randle was playing the right kind of basketball for the most part.

We wanted Randle to trust his teammates more, and he delivered. He was on pace for career highs in APG. And it showed on the court.

We wanted Randle to play more interior, and he delivered. He reduced his 3PA per game and was playing bully ball.

His defense is what it is. I don't think he's a terrible defender, but he absolutely can do better, and with the OG effect for a full season, I don't think many of us will be complaining.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 27,034

Post#149 » by WaltFrazier » Mon May 6, 2024 2:13 pm

Portland is still a tanking team going nowhere next year. Brogdon, Grant and Ayton all seem out of place there as veterans. Brogdon would be the cheapest I assume but would be a big PG who can play D and run the offense to let Brunson rest more. Trouble is injuries.

Grant would be a great 3 man rotation at the 3-4 with OG and Randle. Not sure about cost, salary etc.

Ayton would mean a big change in the center situation. iHart or Mitch would be gone. But I keep thinking how he was hitting foul line jumpers against the Knicks on the last western road trip, that would open up the offense so much.

Any one of these would help and I assume Portland would take draft picks more than players.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
FrozenEnvelope
Veteran
And1: 3,759

Post#150 » by FrozenEnvelope » Mon May 6, 2024 2:35 pm

I would rather add 2 rookies, develop them, resign OG and run it back with this squad next season. **** LeBum and KD! Spida doesn't fit and KAT is too soft to play here.

Either Giannis, Booker or Mikal or run it back.
RHODEY
RealGM

Post#151 » by RHODEY » Mon May 6, 2024 2:41 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:Portland is still a tanking team going nowhere next year. Brogdon, Grant and Ayton all seem out of place there as veterans. Brogdon would be the cheapest I assume but would be a big PG who can play D and run the offense to let Brunson rest more. Trouble is injuries.

Grant would be a great 3 man rotation at the 3-4 with OG and Randle. Not sure about cost, salary etc.

Ayton would mean a big change in the center situation. iHart or Mitch would be gone. But I keep thinking how he was hitting foul line jumpers against the Knicks on the last western road trip, that would open up the offense so much.

Any one of these would help and I assume Portland would take draft picks more than players.
I don't want Ayton anywhere near our team.
RHODEY
RealGM

Post#152 » by RHODEY » Mon May 6, 2024 2:43 pm

FrozenEnvelope wrote:I would rather add 2 rookies, develop them, resign OG and run it back with this squad next season. **** LeBum and KD! Spida doesn't fit and KAT is too soft to play here.

Yeah agreed . Although Booker us a no for me because I think he'd cost Randle.
FrozenEnvelope
Veteran
And1: 3,759

Post#153 » by FrozenEnvelope » Mon May 6, 2024 2:45 pm

RHODEY wrote:
FrozenEnvelope wrote:I would rather add 2 rookies, develop them, resign OG and run it back with this squad next season. **** LeBum and KD! Spida doesn't fit and KAT is too soft to play here.

True, I take it back then. Only Giannis or Mikal. Otherwise just bring everyone back, add 2 rookies for that depth we could be using right now and let's go to war next playoffs with the same team. I like our chances better with that over gutting the team for a diva hasbeen like LeBum or KD or adding a player who doesn't fit like Spida. KAT isn't even an option for me. He's supped up Charles Smith and everything you don't want in a NYK player. I guess I'd sign off on KAT if Thibs is okay with it but something tells me he will tell Leon to stay away.
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,424

Post#154 » by sol537 » Mon May 6, 2024 3:03 pm

FrozenEnvelope wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

True, I take it back then. Only Giannis or Mikal. Otherwise just bring everyone back, add 2 rookies for that depth we could be using right now and let's go to war next playoffs with the same team. I like our chances better with that over gutting the team for a diva hasbeen like LeBum or KD or adding a player who doesn't fit like Spida. KAT isn't even an option for me. He's supped up Charles Smith and everything you don't want in a NYK player. I guess I'd sign off on KAT if Thibs is okay with it but something tells me he will tell Leon to stay away.

Giannis or Mikal or stand pat sounds like a good plan to me. Bring in two high upside 3&D 6'8 rookies and pick a Euro stash with the third pick we have. Bring iHart, OG and maybe Precious back and let's run this again and hope we're 100% healthy next playoffs...
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,520

Post#155 » by gavran » Mon May 6, 2024 3:12 pm

Stupid question. Which star is NOT going to?
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,424

Post#156 » by sol537 » Mon May 6, 2024 3:21 pm

I'm kinda over the Randle experiment... props to him for coming to NYK and helping us back to relevance but I don't think he's the long-term answer as the #2 or even #3 guy and it may be best for both sides to fide a win-win trade.
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,953

Post#157 » by nykballa2k4 » Mon May 6, 2024 5:10 pm

RHODEY wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:Portland is still a tanking team going nowhere next year. Brogdon, Grant and Ayton all seem out of place there as veterans. Brogdon would be the cheapest I assume but would be a big PG who can play D and run the offense to let Brunson rest more. Trouble is injuries.

I don't want Ayton anywhere near our team.

I still like Ayton and he is nearing the end of his formative part of his career. He needs to find a Riley-VanGuny-Spo-Thibs-Clifford -- someone from that tree if he wants to be a viable #3 to Jokic/Embiid (not counting Chet, Wemby for this yet)

Having said all of that -- there is no practical way to get him to NY. We have good value contracts and significant draft assets so we can't use him to duck a problem contract. He isn't yet proven (and may never be anyhow) to warrant a high price-tag (Mitch, Bogs, picks). If we 3-team with, say, the Nets - maybe there is a mechanism where he and Bridges slot into something, but that's a super-stretch.

Break the culture and you risk a step back. Swap out two of Mitch/Randle you better get at least ONE guy who you know is a lock for the culture.

I mentioned before that my only real hangup on Bridges is that it starts to become "if you are not one of us, rent - don't buy in NY"
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
RHODEY
RealGM

Post#158 » by RHODEY » Mon May 6, 2024 5:17 pm

FrozenEnvelope wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

Kat is a soft no...he doesn't seem Knick ish. But then again he seems to be fitting in on the Number 1 defensive team in the league. And his elite 3pt shooting is kinda enticing...
Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,688

Post#159 » by Meat » Mon May 6, 2024 5:44 pm

You haven’t watched much kat this year have you?
Wildcat
RealGM
And1: 1,797

Post#160 » by Wildcat » Mon May 6, 2024 5:45 pm

gavran wrote:Stupid question. Which star is NOT going to?

LeBron and KD for starters.

Return to New York Knicks