ImageImageImageImageImage

Which star player is going to ask to be traded to the Knicks?

Moderators: j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O

Stannis
RealGM
And1: 10,223

Re: Which star player is going to ask to be traded to the Knicks? 

Post#41 » by Stannis » Fri May 3, 2024 3:50 pm

sol537 wrote:
Stannis wrote:
TimRobbins wrote:
35 YO KD will not require more than Randle, Bogdanovic and a pick.

Suns dug themselves in a hole getting Beal.

They will want more picks for Durant. I'm think it will be Randle, Bogdanovic, 2 unprotected picks, 2 protected picks, 3 2nd round picks. Which I would do.

Nope. Too high a price for a guy who could get injured at any moment at his age and mileage. We could do better.

The way I'm looking at it, Randle is already injury prone and has mileage too. And with his isos and Thibs always trying to use him as the "engine of the offense", he will be high risk.

I just think Durant is a perfect fit.

When you say, "we could do better". Who are you thinking?
Free Palestine
kNicksGmen
Analyst
And1: 524

Post#42 » by kNicksGmen » Fri May 3, 2024 3:57 pm

Loisl wrote:We're good. We only need to get healthy.

Agree for the most part - knicks could still make smaller moves to improve as well.

whether it's draft, free agency or trades. a lot of flexibility for the knicks outside of just going all in for a star.

still think we could use a true playmaker or ball handling combo/scoring guard off the bench.

and/or a better backup for Randle - not sure what will happen with Ihart or precious.

only real issue with the timeline for the knicks is making the contracts all work while trying to stay under the 2nd apron.

OG + Ihart this offseason. Extending Brunson and/or Randle next year etc.
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,402

Post#43 » by sol537 » Fri May 3, 2024 3:59 pm

Stannis wrote:
sol537 wrote:
Stannis wrote:
Suns dug themselves in a hole getting Beal.

They will want more picks for Durant. I'm think it will be Randle, Bogdanovic, 2 unprotected picks, 2 protected picks, 3 2nd round picks. Which I would do.

Nope. Too high a price for a guy who could get injured at any moment at his age and mileage. We could do better.

The way I'm looking at it, Randle is already injury prone and has mileage too. And with his isos and Thibs always trying to use him as the "engine of the offense", he will be high risk.

I just think Durant is a perfect fit.

When you say, "we could do better". Who are you thinking?

Randle is about 6 years younger than KD and has been as durable as almost any high usage player. Randle's playmaking skills are also better than KD at this stage, as crazy as that sounds. And KD's salary is much higher so it's really Randle + another useful player in the rotation for one old-man KD who spurned us once before and who has been leaving a trail of tears everywhere he's gone lately.

Spida is better than KD, on contract and age alone. Booker would cost more but he's a better get too due to age. Who knows who else shakes free this off-season or next trade deadline. Our patience will pay off. Also, we want to be a 5+ year contender and we're on the brink of getting there. KD gives us a 2-year window, maybe. We can give ourselves a 5+ year window if we play our cards right on these next few hands. More cracks at the chip means we might just get one in this decade...
Stannis
RealGM

Post#44 » by Stannis » Fri May 3, 2024 4:04 pm

sol537 wrote:Randle is about 6 years younger than KD and has been as durable as almost any high usage player. Randle's playmaking skills are also better than KD at this stage, as crazy as that sounds. And KD's salary is much higher so it's really Randle + another useful player in the rotation for one old-man KD who spurned us once before and who has been leaving a trail of tears everywhere he's gone lately.

Spida is better than KD, on contract and age alone. Booker would cost more but he's a better get too due to age. Who knows who else shakes free this off-season or next trade deadline. Our patience will pay off. Also, we want to be a 5+ year contender and we're on the brink of getting there. KD gives us a 2-year window, maybe. We can give ourselves a 5+ year window if we play our cards right on these next few hands. More cracks at the chip means we might just get one in this decade...

Obviously I would prefer somebody like Giannis over Durant.

But a 2 year 50/yr contract isn't bad. And it's a safe move that Leon Rose tends to make. He can be easily movable the following season if things don't work out. It's not like the thinks would have to live and die on that contract, and blow things up after Durant expires/retires.

I'm not sure how Spida or Booker would play next to Brunson. I'd like Brunson to hold most guard duties and let the other guards and wings play mostly off ball. I'm afraid if we get another superstar guard, we'd invite chemistry issue or be taking away from Brunson (just think about how much Brunson looks after he left the Mavs/Doncic).
Free Palestine
Wildcat
RealGM
And1: 1,795

Post#45 » by Wildcat » Fri May 3, 2024 4:05 pm

TimRobbins wrote:This team will probably not win it all. It's still missing one piece. Which star player can potentially try to force a trade to the Knicks? The team is set in the 1-3 positions so it has to be someone in 4-5. Maybe Embiid? KD? AD? Lebron?

The missing piece is injured.
Wildcat
RealGM
And1: 1,795

Post#46 » by Wildcat » Fri May 3, 2024 4:06 pm

Answer: No one. They don't want to play for Thibs.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 62,289

Post#47 » by Clyde_Style » Fri May 3, 2024 4:08 pm

See how Randle does next year. If he excels and performs well in the playoffs, you have your # 2 option already. If not, you move on from him without giving him a big extension

Bring over Rokas and test him out

Continue what you're doing and sign that underappreciated player before they break out like a Naz Reid before they win 6MOY

The FO has contract decisions to make about our frontline this off-season so if they don't retain everyone they'll be hunting for frontcourt depth this Summer

If Minny goes deep in the PO they might be willing to pay luxury taxes to sign Edwards with KAT still on the payroll. If not, that's the big star trade that still seems probable to me with Randle outgoing
ImageImageImage
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,191

Post#48 » by moocow007 » Fri May 3, 2024 4:13 pm

Giannis? would be the first player that comes to mind that MIGHT as for a trade that I would definitely want.

Booker? yeah in a better situation he could be elite elite.

KD? A bit too long in the tooth and too sour in the puss so a pass for me.

Spida? Coming from probably the first guy that thought he'd be great on this board (as a Louisville fan) I don''t know that he fits with Brunson. I think it'll push the Knicks towards what happened with the Suns this season. Yes, great talent and talent wins but it has to be the right talent mix.

Paul George? I don't honestly know that he's going to be significantly better than Randle especially projected out through the lifespan of Brunson's prime (George will be 35 when next years playoffs comes around).

KAT? Honestly I'm not a fan (think he's still a zagnut). Heck of a fan of Edwards though as he's the biggest reason the Wolves are now a top team (but obviously no real chance the Wolves will let Edwards leave nor likely that he'd want to leave if things are going great).

Zion? At this point, the chances he'll ever come close to any expectations is growing next to completely dark. I get the "but if you put him where he wants to be he'll want to try more" thing but I don't think it'll change much. He might try but then likely end up hurting himself and become just a deadweight perennially injured "could have been" guy.

Mikal Bridges? I think the fit is definitely there and you can probably expect that he'll also see a situation where the sum is better than the individual parts when you put him with the rest of the Nova Boys.

Embiid? I think it's likely he's going to think about leaving and that the Knicks will be at the top of his wishlist. MVP talent. And he can make this team better for sure. But I see a walking perpetually injury waiting to happen. In terms or cost/risk combo he'd be the greatest of both.
knicks94
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,052

Post#49 » by knicks94 » Fri May 3, 2024 4:24 pm

The same type of people who want KD to be a Knick were the same type of ones who were happy when the Knicks acquired Steve Francis.

KD is entering his late 30's and is going to be washed up anyday from now, plus he isn't a true leader or winner. How many superstars did he fail to win with? And why would anyone want to bring in a guy who had zero respect for their team not so long ago?

I'm so glad Leon Rose is our president of basketball operations and not any of us on the internet.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,881

Post#50 » by NoLayupRule » Fri May 3, 2024 4:30 pm

Durant is clearly the best player and fit out there but hes gonna cost a lot

For the record Id rather have Booker than durant at this point even though he might not fit as easily.

Phx if they did trade with us would undoubtedly want randle to help their non-existent front court

for me Id rather trade for an significant upgrade at PF or SG

Giannis and AD are the bigs who most fit with our defensive and hard working team. AD brings a lot of injury issues and in truth neither is getting moved.

Zion will always introgue me as a possibility despite his issues and Lauri Markkanen would be a great fit here as well.

After that, unless we can pry JJJ from mem, I think Paul George is the best fit despite his age

and Donivan Mitchell has to remain an option as scoring help is still an issue
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,835

Post#51 » by cgmw » Fri May 3, 2024 4:31 pm

We won't know the answers to any of this until we see how it goes vs. Indy and hopefully Boston. If we make it to Game 7 or win the ECF, then this is an entirely different conversation than, say, we get swept by the Pacers.

I appreciate the forward thinking, but STFU about next season and just FOCUS ON THE PACERS. PERIOD.

Funny how we all forgot how to behave during a legit playoff run.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
will
RealGM
And1: 49,951
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#52 » by will » Fri May 3, 2024 5:01 pm

Stannis wrote:
TimRobbins wrote:
Stannis wrote:
He's not a leader. I know that. But Knicks already have tough guys and leaders. All KD has to do here is hoop. If you can replace Randle with KD, you do it asap and don't think twice.

KD and the Suns looked better with an old Chris Paul than with the Bradley Beal experiment. With the Nets, a lot of that had to do with Kyrie Irving and the Nets owner publicly shaming him constantly.

The Knicks situation is where KD would thrive and win a ring again.

Yeah. Put KD in the role he played with the Warriors. No pressure the lead. Just play off the ball and shoot.

And he won't have a jackass like Draymond Green constantly antagonizing him.

KD would get destroyed having to deal with the NY media.

Unless the Knicks don't allow the media to speak with him.
Stannis
RealGM

Post#53 » by Stannis » Fri May 3, 2024 5:04 pm

will wrote:
Stannis wrote:
TimRobbins wrote:
Yeah. Put KD in the role he played with the Warriors. No pressure the lead. Just play off the ball and shoot.

And he won't have a jackass like Draymond Green constantly antagonizing him.

KD would get destroyed having to deal with the NY media.

Unless the Knicks don't allow the media to speak with him.

The "New York Media" has got to be one of the most over-exaggerated things.
Free Palestine
The KnicksFix
Starter
And1: 1,758

Post#54 » by The KnicksFix » Fri May 3, 2024 5:11 pm

this is a tough one
think about the positions that we are locked in
i dont think you break up the nova knicks, that leaves divo, brunson, and hart on the floor to close games. You also need OG for defense. At center you have ihart or mitch. it's very very hard to tinker with this because you need those five on the court. I dont think you tinker with this, if anything you use bogie, burks and all 6 picks to get u the piece, but you DO NOT break up the nova knicks and you DO NOT trade the backup to brunson in deuce.... if anyone you trade for, its for chemistry, it would be miles, but where would he fit in the lineup?

the reason why we win these games is because of the nova knicks synergy and OG's hustle on defense
The KnicksFix
Starter
And1: 1,758

Post#55 » by The KnicksFix » Fri May 3, 2024 5:12 pm

The KnicksFix wrote:this is a tough one
think about the positions that we are locked in
i dont think you break up the nova knicks, that leaves divo, brunson, and hart on the floor to close games. You also need OG for defense. At center you have ihart or mitch. it's very very hard to tinker with this because you need those five on the court. I dont think you tinker with this, if anything you use bogie, burks and all 6 picks to get u the piece, but you DO NOT break up the nova knicks and you DO NOT trade the backup to brunson in deuce.... if anyone you trade for, its for chemistry, it would be mikal bridges, but where would he fit in the lineup?

the reason why we win these games is because of the nova knicks synergy and OG's hustle on defense

forgot to mention we need mitch against bigs like gianns and embiid, evidenced by this series
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 39,411

Post#56 » by KnicksGod » Fri May 3, 2024 5:16 pm

Joel
aggo
RealGM
And1: 6,371

Post#57 » by aggo » Fri May 3, 2024 5:25 pm

I doubt Giannis asks out. I doubt Joel asks out.

I highly doubt LeBron will come. AD has no reason to ask out.

DM ship has sailed, and the fit is now questionable.

booker is not a fit next to brunson.

the only 2 guys that make sense + fit next to brunson are

KAT and Durant

and there is 0 reason for KAT to ask out, if he gets traded its only bc the ownership goes in and demands they get under the second apron

KAT and Durant are fits bc they are upgrades over randle and dont involve breaking up the nova guys.
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,402

Post#58 » by sol537 » Fri May 3, 2024 5:31 pm

aggo wrote:I doubt Giannis asks out. I doubt Joel asks out.

I highly doubt LeBron will come. AD has no reason to ask out.

DM ship has sailed, and the fit is now questionable.

booker is not a fit next to brunson.

the only 2 guys that make sense + fit next to brunson are

KAT and Durant

and there is 0 reason for KAT to ask out, if he gets traded its only bc the ownership goes in and demands they get under the second apron

KAT and Durant are fits bc they are upgrades over randle and dont involve breaking up the nova guys.

KAT is not a championship player IMO. KD is more trouble than he's worth and he's a major injury risk at his age.

We have to be better. We can contend for the remainder of this decade with the right moves in these next 1-12 months. Trust in Leon.
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,442

Post#59 » by Oscirus » Fri May 3, 2024 5:47 pm

Calvin Klein wrote:I'd love to get rid of KD, but you have a good thing going. Don't do it.

Best knicks can offer is **** picks and Randle probably also Mcbride don't see the suns wanting that even if the Knicks were interested
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,804

Post#60 » by duetta » Fri May 3, 2024 5:48 pm

I don't care who wants to come here now that we've established a winning tradition. No bend-over-boyfriend trades for disgruntled superstars (particularly ones who cannot get their current team into, at least, the conference finals).

If someone seriously wants to play for us, they should have the stones to become free agents (while asking us to negotiate a sign-and-trade).

Return to New York Knicks