ImageImageImageImageImage

Isiah Doesn't Know Talent Or How To Value It

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Supreme Commander
Head Coach
And1: 0

Isiah Doesn't Know Talent Or How To Value It 

Post#1 » by Supreme Commander » Tue Jan 1, 2008 11:18 pm

I do not want Isiah to make this year's selection. He's going to **** it up, like he's **** up every pick he's had with the Knicks. The lone exceptions are Ariza and Lee, with the former being his staff's selection, as Isiah wanted another character-flawed player in Chris "He'll Manage Micky D's One Day" Taft.

Isiah doesn't know what he's doing in the draft and his savvy is wildly overblown. He's made some good selections, but other good (and arguably better) players were available when he struck gold in Toronto.

To make you all feel really terrible, I'd like to point out the team he could have assembled (post inspire by Big C, BTW):

PG: Derrick Rose (this year)
SG: Brandon Roy
SF: Danny Granger*
PF: David Lee
C: Andrew Bynum*

Sixth Man: Jack

* either one of the two, with Joakim Noah or jared Dudley being possible fill-ins.

Based upon what could have been and his completely overrated talent evaluation, I do not want him within a 5,000 mile radius of this pick.
StutterStep wrote:paragraph breaks
VinnyTheMick
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#2 » by VinnyTheMick » Tue Jan 1, 2008 11:42 pm

Chris Taft rides the bench on the Knicks in 2k8
http://www.nyccan.org/
Ask questions. Demand answers.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth.- Albert Einstein
knicks742
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22

Post#3 » by knicks742 » Tue Jan 1, 2008 11:50 pm

VinnyTheMick wrote:Chris Taft rides the bench on the Knicks in 2k8

Why are you inside? Arent you in PR?
VinnyTheMick
RealGM

Post#4 » by VinnyTheMick » Tue Jan 1, 2008 11:53 pm

knicks742 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Why are you inside? Arent you in PR?

I fly out tonight. I'm on my laptop right now. I put In San Juan in my location last night because I thought I'd be too busy today (last minute packing & all that) to go on realgm but ALAS I have found time.
http://www.nyccan.org/
Ask questions. Demand answers.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth.- Albert Einstein
knicks742
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22

Post#5 » by knicks742 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 12:02 am

VinnyTheMick wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I fly out tonight. I'm on my laptop right now. I put In San Juan in my location last night because I thought I'd be too busy today (last minute packing & all that) to go on realgm but ALAS I have found time.

You deserve an award for your dedication, lol.
chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,960

Post#6 » by chitownsports4ever » Wed Jan 2, 2008 12:05 am

LMAO @ at the hindsight " I could do better " pat on the backs .

You could develop a similar stat for every team in the league
Got a Gold Name Plate that says "I wish you would"
Supreme Commander
Head Coach

Post#7 » by Supreme Commander » Wed Jan 2, 2008 12:28 am

chitownsports4ever wrote:LMAO @ at the hindsight " I could do better " pat on the backs .

LMAO at a trolling mod. Go back to fantasizing about Jamal Crawford tonguing your sphincter.

I was on record of wanting Granger over Frye pre-draft. I didn't include Josh Boone or Marcus Williams on this list, both of who I wanted over Balkman. I was on record of being against the Curry trade when it happened. I was on record saying Jared Dudley was going to be good, and drafted him in the Knicks board off-season draft. I was on record defending Lee when the majority of the board was AGAINST the pick because of his great draft camp workouts. I was on record saying that I thought Jack was a better prospect than Nate, although I must admit he turned out better than I expected because of his low AST:TO ration at Georgia Tech.

Do I really need to find all these threads and bump them again? Because people here who post consistently know my stance on these subjects hasn't changed whatsoever. Feel free to take a look back if you so choose.

Thank you for reminding me why posting here is an exercise in futility. You leading a message board community is like going to a homeless man for wealth management advice... you actually can learn a thing or two from him by doing the exact opposite of his recommendations.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,518

Post#8 » by GONYK » Wed Jan 2, 2008 12:31 am

chitownsports4ever wrote:LMAO @ at the hindsight " I could do better " pat on the backs .

Seriously. These type of posts are just a waste of time. Also, to count the players we could have drafted with the Eddy Curry picks are irrelevant. You want to indict Thomas for being a bad GM for trading those picks, fine, but you can't knock him for picks taken at positions he didn't have an opportunity to draft at. (Roy, Noah, Dudley)

And this jerk-fest to Andrew Bynum is getting out of hand. Nobody was saying anything when Channing was putting up 30 in his rookie year. At some point, the development has to be on the player. Channing went soft, but the talent, character, and work ethic was there. Bynum has had a history of being lazy, meek, and scared. The Lakers deserve kudos for this kid's development up to this point, but even now, he is not this monster people want to make him out to be.
NYKnick87
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#9 » by NYKnick87 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 12:37 am

Just because there have been players that have turned out to be better than the players Isiah drafted does not at all mean that he doesn't know talent or is a bad talent evaluator. In fact, Isiah has a very good track record of drafting players. A few of them have become stars, and all are still in the NBA and are actually contributing for their teams. In short, Isiah may not have always selected the best player, but he's always drafted a player that could play and contribute. That is why many feel that he is good at drafting and a good judge of talent. To say that he isn't good at evaluating talent is ridiculous.
bringinhinkie
General Manager
And1: 930

Post#10 » by bringinhinkie » Wed Jan 2, 2008 12:41 am

1. Mychal Thompson Minnesota Portland
2. Phil Ford North Carolina Kansas City
3. Rick Robey Kentucky Indiana
4. Michael Ray Richardson Montana New York
5. Purvis Short Jackson State Golden State
6. Larry Bird Indiana State Boston
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#11 » by GONYK » Wed Jan 2, 2008 12:43 am

KnicksMetsJetsNova wrote:1. Mychal Thompson Minnesota Portland
2. Phil Ford North Carolina Kansas City
3. Rick Robey Kentucky Indiana
4. Michael Ray Richardson Montana New York
5. Purvis Short Jackson State Golden State
6. Larry Bird Indiana State Boston
DAMN YOU ISIAH!!!!
Yoshi2kx
Senior

Re: Isiah Doesn't Know Talent Or How To Value It 

Post#12 » by Yoshi2kx » Wed Jan 2, 2008 12:44 am

Supreme Commander wrote:I do not want Isiah to make this year's selection. He's going to **** it up, like he's **** up every pick he's had with the Knicks. The lone exceptions are Ariza and Lee, with the former being his staff's selection, as Isiah wanted another character-flawed player in Chris "He'll Manage Micky D's One Day" Taft.

Isiah doesn't know what he's doing in the draft and his savvy is wildly overblown. He's made some good selections, but other good (and arguably better) players were available when he struck gold in Toronto.

To make you all feel really terrible, I'd like to point out the team he could have assembled (post inspire by Big C, BTW):

PG: Derrick Rose (this year)
SG: Brandon Roy
SF: Danny Granger*
PF: David Lee
C: Andrew Bynum*

Sixth Man: Jack

* either one of the two, with Joakim Noah or jared Dudley being possible fill-ins.

Based upon what could have been and his completely overrated talent evaluation, I do not want him within a 5,000 mile radius of this pick.

Uhh if you got Bynum and Roy, you'd be in no position to take Rose.
Supreme Commander
Head Coach

Post#13 » by Supreme Commander » Wed Jan 2, 2008 12:45 am

NYKnick87 wrote:Just because there have been players that have turned out to be better than the players Isiah drafted does not at all mean that he doesn't know talent or is a bad talent evaluator. In fact, Isiah has a very good track record of drafting players. A few of them have become stars, and all are still in the NBA and are actually contributing for their teams. In short, Isiah may not have always selected the best player, but he's always drafted a player that could play and contribute. That is why many feel that he is good at drafting and a good judge of talent. To say that he isn't good at evaluating talent is ridiculous.

Is it really? Other than Ariza and Lee, can you defend Isiah's picks, signings, or trades? Like the title says, Isiah doesn't know how to evaluate or value talent. In practically every one of his transactions, there was a alternative that would have been better.

Oh wait, I forgot how his "talent" "improved" this "team."

The end point remains the same: I do not trust his ability to maximize the value of this draft pick. He could very well draft a Marcus Camby, but pass up nine All-Stars in the process.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#14 » by GONYK » Wed Jan 2, 2008 12:47 am

Supreme Commander wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Is it really? Other than Ariza and Lee, can you defend Isiah's picks, signings, or trades? Like the title says, Isiah doesn't know how to evaluate or value talent. In practically every one of his transactions, there was a alternative that would have been better.

The end point remains the same: I do not trust his ability to maximize the value of this draft pick. He could very well draft a Marcus Camby, but pass up nine All-Stars in the process.
So does every single GM in the history of every sport ever
NYKnick87
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#15 » by NYKnick87 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 12:59 am

Is it really? Other than Ariza and Lee, can you defend Isiah's picks, signings, or trades? Like the title says, Isiah doesn't know how to evaluate or value talent.

Those are two completely different skills. Being a good evaluator of talent doesn't enable someone to assemble a good team. Isiah is good at identifying players that can contribute in this league but he is terrible at acquiring players and complementing them to build a winning team.

In practically every one of his transactions, there was a alternative that would have been better.

Like GONYK said, so does every single GM in the history of sports. To fault him for this is to fault him for being imperfect.
chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,960

Post#16 » by chitownsports4ever » Wed Jan 2, 2008 1:08 am

LMAO at a trolling mod. Go back to fantasizing about Jamal Crawford tonguing your sphincter.

I was on record of wanting Granger over Frye pre-draft. I didn't include Josh Boone or Marcus Williams on this list, both of who I wanted over Balkman. I was on record of being against the Curry trade when it happened. I was on record saying Jared Dudley was going to be good, and drafted him in the Knicks board off-season draft. I was on record defending Lee when the majority of the board was AGAINST the pick because of his great draft camp workouts. I was on record saying that I thought Jack was a better prospect than Nate, although I must admit he turned out better than I expected because of his low AST:TO ration at Georgia Tech.

Do I really need to find all these threads and bump them again? Because people here who post consistently know my stance on these subjects hasn't changed whatsoever. Feel free to take a look back if you so choose.

Thank you for reminding me why posting here is an exercise in futility. You leading a message board community is like going to a homeless man for wealth management advice... you actually can learn a thing or two from him by doing the exact opposite of his recommendations.

I love when people living in the past say they were on record ? If you dont have the link to the post of RECORD then please keep that crazy $hit to yourself because WHO CARES so stop trying to make it to a Granger vs Frye .

Your entire post was to be honest ignorant,over dramatic,and full of the magical ability of hindsight.

The simple changing of one player wouldve possibly changed the knicks entire draft history the past few years so if he takes Granger and trades for Bynum there is nothing saying the knicks woulve been in position to draft Roy or anyone else after that besides YOUR IMAGINATION THAT SAYS YOU TAKE ALL THESE FINE PLAYERS AND STILL BE IN THE LOTTERY TO TAKE ROSE NEXT SUMMER :crazy:

the fact that you bash someone based on them not fulfilling your wet dreams should be the reason you stop posting anywhere .
Got a Gold Name Plate that says "I wish you would"

Return to New York Knicks