ImageImageImageImageImage

Would you trade our first round pick for a sure thing?

Moderators: HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK

buc003
Junior
And1: 0

Post#21 » by buc003 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 1:32 pm

optimusadl wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I want 2 lottery pick this year and 2 lottery picks next year.

That is exactly what this team needs... But the Knicks will have to take on bad contracts when getting those picks and they might have to trade the youth to get picks like that. It is a big gamble.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 51,156

Post#22 » by Deeeez Knicks » Wed Jan 2, 2008 1:53 pm

clowds wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

But so what? If we draft a bust, we won't know until 4-5 years of trying to develop him.

Why not go after someone sure like Okafor or Arenas?

If I have to explain to you why we should keep our pick then you haven
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#23 » by Flash3 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 2:10 pm

Trade the pick? lol

You BUILD a team through the DRAFT!

Unless the NYKs are getting a Wade, LeBron, or Dwight in return, (and I highly doubt those respective teams would be dumb enough to offer them), you KEEP the pick and take the best player available and build around that player.
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
yonkers
Junior
And1: 3

Post#24 » by yonkers » Wed Jan 2, 2008 2:35 pm

we also have to give one of our draft picks up in the next few years so we can keep saying get all these picks the next few years
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,191

Re: Would you trade our first round pick for a sure thing? 

Post#25 » by moocow007 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 4:58 pm

clowds wrote:Isiah wants to win now. Isiah and Dolan don't want to go through the traditional rebuilding process.

A lot of you guys are talking about Rose and Besley, but I believe the Knicks will barely miss the playoffs with a late season push. (Other teams will be tanking)

What if Isiah pulls a 1st round pick and Mardy Collins for Emeka Okafor.

Okafor's got a bad back that is such that its causing the Bobcats to think about not bringing him back rather than signing him to a max. Sure thing? I don't know about that.

Would you be happy? This trade would definitely improve our team, and we can lock up Okafor at the end of the season.

Now this is just an example, but what do you guys think of he idea?

Trade the first round pick while the value is high? Or keep it and get the 10th pick in the draft while Isiah tries to keep his job?

Unless it's a mind blowing offer, I don't see dealing the pick making any sense.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,884

Post#26 » by NoLayupRule » Wed Jan 2, 2008 5:23 pm

Im concerned that this will be the highest we've picked in years and that we have to send our 1st to Utah in 2010. But as i look at this draft there is a huge tallent gap between recent classes. No Oden or Durant for sure. no Paul or Deron. No Howard or okafur. Certianally no Lebron or Carmello. Is there even a Foye or Roy or gay? Im not sure. Rose, jordan and Mayo look like the real deal but who can say and thats just potentially 3 picks. Jordan might not even declare.

Id be tempted to move the pick if the right deal came along. tempted but not motivated. And Okafur probably wouldnt be the guy that would get me to trade that pick. Not with his heath issues. Nor would Artest, AK or Jermaine at this point - though Id love all three.

However swapping the pick might make a lot more sense actually
vallen
RealGM
And1: 3,088

Post#27 » by vallen » Wed Jan 2, 2008 5:56 pm

We cant Trade that Pick without a Pick Coming Back...CBA does not allow a Team to be in a position two years in a row without a pick...We are Top 23 Protected next year but theres still a Chance....We are Unprotected in 2010....
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by moocow007 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 5:59 pm

vallen wrote:We cant Trade that Pick without a Pick Coming Back...CBA does not allow a Team to be in a position two years in a row without a pick...We are Top 23 Protected next year but theres still a Chance....We are Unprotected in 2010....

Actually I believe you can trade it AFTER the pick has been made. Essentially you'd be trading the draft rights to player 'x' instead of the pick itself. So IF the Knicks were to trade their 2008 1st rounder it would be after taking whichever player the team that they are going to trade it to wants and then trading that players rights along with whatever players to whatever team for the player that NY wants. So, yes, while Isiah can't trade the pick YET...he can trade it on Draft night.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#29 » by NoLayupRule » Wed Jan 2, 2008 9:14 pm

we didnt trade our pick lastyear so we can trade it this year. The swap didnt count as a pick traded. to prove this just apply the same rule about not having zero picks 2 yrs in a row. Last year we swapped and the year before we simply handed over the pick {thomas and noah}
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 51,156

Post#30 » by Deeeez Knicks » Wed Jan 2, 2008 9:18 pm

Semantics really...i'm sure Isiah could find a loop hole to trade our pick. Its tradition.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#31 » by NoLayupRule » Wed Jan 2, 2008 10:24 pm

well its also tradition that Isiah finds ways to add more youth tot he team every year.

even last year when we had no pick of our own we managed to draft Balkman and Collins.

this year we found a way to add Jordan and Nichols in addition to Chandler. not that we kept either, sadly
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by moocow007 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:00 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:well its also tradition that Isiah finds ways to add more youth tot he team every year.

even last year when we had no pick of our own we managed to draft Balkman and Collins.

this year we found a way to add Jordan and Nichols in addition to Chandler. not that we kept either, sadly

Yep. What is more Isiah is to trade his expiring contracts (luckily he only has one small one) for big contracts that come with young players.
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,959

Post#33 » by nykballa2k4 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:12 pm

I like Okafor, but his injury concerns are quite valid. I would have to say it is neccisary to recieve some sort of sompensation for losing a potential perennial allstar. Should the deal include either Ray Felton or should we toss away Q rich in the deal, im all for it tho.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
vallen
RealGM
And1: 3,088

Post#34 » by vallen » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:27 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:we didnt trade our pick lastyear so we can trade it this year. The swap didnt count as a pick traded. to prove this just apply the same rule about not having zero picks 2 yrs in a row. Last year we swapped and the year before we simply handed over the pick {thomas and noah}

We cant Trade it this year because Utah still has a Chance of receiving our Pick Next Year...Unless we did a swap like we did last years...Also if Moocow is correct then at the very least we dont have to worry about this till Draft Night....

Regardless there has been way to much Talk and Trades Proposed that include our Pick that are impossible to do..I just thought Peeps should know before wasting to much time putting together Trades, or worried about I.T doing another Stupid move....It looks like he cant screw the Pooch till Draft Night....

Return to New York Knicks