ImageImageImageImageImage

Ewing trade....

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85

Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,486

Ewing trade.... 

Post#1 » by Blame Rasho » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:00 am

My question why did the Knicks trade him(besides age) and what became of all the picks that he was traded for?
KOA
Lead Assistant
And1: 844

Re: Ewing trade.... 

Post#2 » by KOA » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:13 am

TD is the MAN wrote:My question why did the Knicks trade him(besides age) and what became of all the picks that he was traded for?

The Knicks wanted to remain competetive. It started with the whole notion that you can't rebuild in NY. I believe the picks were 2 late first and 2 second rounders some of which were traded, other which were busts...
Immortal King
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Post#3 » by Immortal King » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:14 am

Ewing asked to be traded. He had put up with a lot of stuff through his career with the media and the fans. So I guess he had enough of the city and being taken for granted here and asked for a trade. So, the Knicks traded him for a bunch of guys and I don't know what happened to them. Maybe some of the older posters can explain that to you.
Bringing back that New York swagger
StarH2O
General Manager
And1: 40

Post#4 » by StarH2O » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:29 am

Glen Rice, Luc Longley, Travis Knight, Vladimir Stepania, Lazaro Borrell, Vernon Maxwell, two first-round draft picks (from the Los Angeles Lakers and Seattle) and two second-round draft picks from Seattle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Ewing
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,191

Post#5 » by moocow007 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:45 am

TD is the MAN wrote:My question why did the Knicks trade him(besides age) and what became of all the picks that he was traded for?

Why?

May I present the Original Mr. Stupid GM...

The excuse was that Ewing was becoming a lockerroom problem. But realistically? Apparently Layden thought that the Knicks were bunch of big contracted stiffs and overpaid role players and one gimpy kneed Glen Rice away from competing for a title.

As far as the picks go?

NY didn't actually keep either one of the 1st rounders they got in the deal...but the picks themselves turned into Jamaal Tinsley and Jeryl Sasser for the teams that eventually got these picks. Guys that were still on the board when these picks were made? Gerald Wallace, Samuel Dalembert, Tony Parker.

NY drafted Eric Chenowith and Michael Wright with the 2 2nd rounders they received. Guys that were still on the board when these picks were made? Earl Watson, Bobby Simmons, Jarron Collins.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by moocow007 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:59 am

But that's not even the half of it.

Trading a $20+ million expiring contract (Ewing) for a bunch of overpaid stiffs, uselss bottom of the barrel 1st and 2nd round picks and one over the hill Glen Rice (instead of a rumored Jermaine Oneal and big expiring contract) wasn't bad enough....

Nope.

Just when it looks like the Knicks may finally be able to get from under Rice's contract he goes and deals him for over $80 million worth of Shandon "Hands of Stone" Anderson and Howard "You're giving me how much Mr. Cuban?!?!?" Eisley.

And then to put the icing on the cake, he trades what could have been Amare Stoudemire AND Marcus Camby (AND Mark Jackson's expiring contract) for a cream-cheese kneed Antonio McDyess.
StutterStep
RealGM
And1: 58

Post#7 » by StutterStep » Fri Jan 4, 2008 1:17 am

Ewing bytched and moaned after years of hearing the fans bytching and moaning about him. Plus, he wanted a contract extension.
StutterStep
RealGM
And1: 58

Post#8 » by StutterStep » Fri Jan 4, 2008 1:19 am

?????
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by moocow007 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 1:31 am

And just to rub salt into the wounds that TD started, here's some picks of players that coulda, woulda, shoulda been on the Knicks that was there to be had if not for a sheer and utter case of the stupid...

1. Strong rumors that the Blazers and Knicks were talking a deal involving Ewing for a big expiring AND a young player named Jermaine Oneal but that Layden decided to go with the deal he took because it was much more of a "sure thing".

2. Amare Stoudemire was available when the pick that the Knicks dealt to Denver as part of the Antonio McDyess deal was made.

3. Marcus Camby, All-NBA Defensive POY, was included along with the lottery pick in the Antonio McDyess deal.

4. Instead of paying a guy like Gary Trent $1 million a season (what Trent ended up agreeing to) Layden decides to offer 28 times that amount to Mr 3 Chins on the Back of the Neck Clarence Weatherspoon.

Immortal King
Assistant Coach

Post#10 » by Immortal King » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:00 am

moocow007 wrote:And just to rub salt into the wounds that TD started, here's some picks of players that coulda, woulda, shoulda been on the Knicks that was there to be had if not for a sheer and utter case of the stupid...

1. Strong rumors that the Blazers and Knicks were talking a deal involving Ewing for a big expiring AND a young player named Jermaine Oneal but that Layden decided to go with the deal he took.

(picture)

2. Amare Stoudemire was available when the pick that the Knicks dealt to Denver as part of the Antonio McDyess deal was made.

(picture)

3. Marcus Camby, All-NBA Defensive POY, was included along with the lottery pick in the Antonio McDyess deal.

(picture)

4. Instead of paying a guy like Gary Trent $1 million a season (what Trent ended up agreeing to) Layden decides to offer 28 times that amount to Mr 3 Chins on the Back of the Neck Clarence Weatherspoon.

(picture)
Stop it stop it your killing me :brokenheart:
Bringing back that New York swagger
nynixlive
Sixth Man
And1: 38

Post#11 » by nynixlive » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:00 am

Moocow,

You just made me realize just how long I have been suffering. I am 32.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by moocow007 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:43 am

Immortal King wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Stop it stop it your killing me :brokenheart:

:lol:

Oh and I forgot the glimpse of the doom that has become this franchise (pre-Layden)...

After much angst that he wouldn't be around by the time the Knicks 1st round pick was on the board, the Knicks had him staring them in the face...

...but in order to apparently justify all the expenses he incurred to "scout" (wink, wink) prospects in Europe, Ed Tapscott, takes this goon (aka Wince Carters Jock Strap)...

moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by moocow007 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:46 am

nynixlive wrote:Moocow,

You just made me realize just how long I have been suffering. I am 32.

Don't feel so bad, I'm 39 and actually remember all the terrible Knick teams of the late 70's and early 80's.
Realmatic
Pro Prospect

Post#14 » by Realmatic » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:50 am

so moocow your saying that we couldve had

Tinsley
??
Artest
Amare
Jermaine o'neal

as our starting 5?
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by moocow007 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:52 am

Realmatic wrote:so moocow your saying that we couldve had

Tinsley
??
Artest
Amare
Jermaine o'neal

as our starting 5?

With Camby coming off the bench. :nod:
Slimpack
Lead Assistant
And1: 83

Post#16 » by Slimpack » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:52 am

Some people say that that dunk by vince was the reason weiss never came to america. :lol:
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by moocow007 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:56 am

Slimpack wrote:Some people say that that dunk by vince was the reason weiss never came to america. :lol:

Others say because Weiss was also missing a pair of these...

I still remember what Weiss said during an interview AFTER being drafted..."I think I would like to play in the NBA someday..."
CrazyEyes
RealGM
And1: 1

Post#18 » by CrazyEyes » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:28 am

The story I always heard was the Knicks were actively shopping Ewing (For Gin Baker no less) Ewing wasn't happy about this -- told the Knicks to extend him or trade him. The rest is history.
GMPappas
Junior
And1: 22

Post#19 » by GMPappas » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:54 am

wow...this thread just made me thankful that we have isiah thomas as our GM. as bad as this team is, layden made some god-awful moves and bad drafts. he really had NOOOO clue. i forget how bad his reign was.

For the record, the Knicks should have paid their respects to Patrick and MADE him finish his career as a Knick. The fans were a major reason why Patrick asked for a trade, but the Knicks should've talked him out of it. The fans booed him and towards the end of his career they wanted him gone.

Patrick Ewing was my favorite player growing up. All the fans that have started watching the Knicks over the last 9 years or so have never seen the real Patrick Ewing that could DOMINATE a game. Fans that saw him in 99 saw him after a major wrist surgery and numerous other injuries to his legs. He would make the players on this team look like amateur chumps. Can you imagine Curry trying to guard him or someone like Olajuwon? Ewing would've scored about 100 on him.

Maybe this is Patrick's curse and until he's back in the organization it cannot be lifted. So depressing.[/img]
Let's Go Knicks!
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,977

Post#20 » by Manhattan Project » Fri Jan 4, 2008 4:23 am

One thing that cant be overlooked it the spiral effect, whose to say we would of had the same picks, signings and all of that. Nevertheless it is depressing to see how many chances we have had for a franchise player either way. The Camby night was probably one of my most hated nights as a Knick fan because like most people Camby was my favorite Knick by far. Combine that with the fact I just saw the high school dunk contest a few days a before and developed a man crush on Stoudamire it was pretty bad.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones

Return to New York Knicks