ImageImageImageImageImage

Most realistic Artest trade

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85

midtown
Veteran
And1: 0

Most realistic Artest trade 

Post#1 » by midtown » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:23 am

Nate,Balkman & Jones for Artest + pick ( most likely 2nd rnd)

That is about as good as its going to get.

I would do it in a NY sec
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,857

Post#2 » by duetta » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:27 am

I wouldn't, because Artest will not be back until February, the Knicks will be, what, 20 games under .500 by then? What's the point?
Immortal King
Assistant Coach

Post#3 » by Immortal King » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:30 am

I'd trade Either Crawford or Qrich +Balk and fillers for Artest + Kenny Thomas any day.
Bringing back that New York swagger
Clark_Kent411
Banned User

Post#4 » by Clark_Kent411 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:32 am

Lee + Nate + Jeffries for Artest + 2008 1st round pick
midtown
Veteran

Post#5 » by midtown » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:39 am

duetta wrote:I wouldn't, because Artest will not be back until February, the Knicks will be, what, 20 games under .500 by then? What's the point?

Um... lets see....

BECAUSE ITS THE BEST SHOT AT GETTING HIM? :roll:

Last I heard our franchise wasn't ceasing operations in Feb
ctorres
RealGM
And1: 3,579

Re: Most realistic Artest trade 

Post#6 » by ctorres » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:46 am

midtown wrote:Nate,Balkman & Jones for Artest + pick ( most likely 2nd rnd)

That is about as good as its going to get.

I would do it in a NY sec

That is not a good deal for the Kings. The Kings have no reason to just give us Artest. Once Bibby, Artest, and Martin come back, they have a good shot at making the playoffs in the West.

Also, the Kings have depth at the 1, 2, and 3 spots. Where they need depth is at the 4 and 5. That's where David Lee would come through for them, which is likely the main reason they would trade Artest for Lee.

The only way I see the Kings sending us Artest without giving up Lee is if we send them our '08 first round pick (which obviously, most of us would not want to do). The Knicks are not the only team in the league and I'm sure the Kings could easily pull off better deals with other teams than whatever Knicks fans want to offer.

I think the Kings would rather let Artest go for nothing in the offseason than find a way to trade him to the Knicks. Also, I am very sure that a team will sign Artest to something better than the MLE next offseason. I don't get why we're getting our hopes up that Artest is going to sign with the Knicks for the MLE just to save us when other teams will probably be willing to sign him for much more.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,454

Post#7 » by KF10 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:49 am

[quote="ctorres"][/quote]

Great post.
PrecociousNeoph
Head Coach
And1: 377

Post#8 » by PrecociousNeoph » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:51 am

I'm still trying to figure out where everybody got this idea that ron artest would turn this thing around. this team is rotten to the core. all the way up to ownership. no single player would turn this around.
“Bye, Felicia.”
ctorres
RealGM
And1: 3,579

Post#9 » by ctorres » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:54 am

Also, speaking of the Kings, I think the injuries to Bibby, Martin, and Artest have been a blessing in disguise. Udrih, Salmons, and Garcia have all shown that they can take their place.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,454

Post#10 » by KF10 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:56 am

ctorres wrote:Also, speaking of the Kings, I think the injuries to Bibby, Martin, and Artest have been a blessing in disguise. Udrih, Salmons, and Garcia have all shown that they can take their place.

Yeah, that's another way to improve the bench. Which is a MUST in the West IMO...
sackings916
Assistant Coach
And1: 639

Post#11 » by sackings916 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:56 am

None of these trades are realistic.

Artest+Kenny Thomas for Lee,Malik Rose,Fred Jones and either Collins or Robinson.
StutterStep
RealGM
And1: 58

Post#12 » by StutterStep » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:20 am

midtown wrote:Nate,Balkman & Jones for Artest + pick ( most likely 2nd rnd)

Again, there is no need to trade 2 young players and expiring for Artest.

The guy hits the market in a few months with contracts starting at $10million per year. This will probably be done using contracts for a S&T.

We can do that with Malik Rose's expiring and don't even bat an eye.

Your trade is very short-sighted.
StutterStep
RealGM
And1: 58

Post#13 » by StutterStep » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:23 am

sackings916 wrote:None of these trades are realistic.

Artest+Kenny Thomas for Lee,Malik Rose,Fred Jones and either Collins or Robinson.

OK, you have to understand something:

We are accumulating young players. We are not trading any young players especially David Lee.

We are not taking back contracts, especially at PF where we have Zach, Lee and Jeffries with Malik and Morris also able to play that position. Any trade that has us sending out a PF (not named Zach) only to get another overpaid veteran is beyond ridiculous.

Artest hits the market the way Rashard Lewis did last year. There is no ifs ands or buts about it. This not the time to deal for him.
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,857

Post#14 » by duetta » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:25 am

midtown wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Um... lets see....

BECAUSE ITS THE BEST SHOT AT GETTING HIM? :roll:

Last I heard our franchise wasn't ceasing operations in Feb

But the season will be. And he's too much of a psycho to give up anything of real value for him. Artest is a one or two season fix for any team. At least be sure that you have a season to save if you deal for him.
sackings916
Assistant Coach
And1: 639

Post#15 » by sackings916 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:48 am

StutterStep wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

OK, you have to understand something:

We are accumulating young players. We are not trading any young players especially David Lee.

We are not taking back contracts, especially at PF where we have Zach, Lee and Jeffries with Malik and Morris also able to play that position. Any trade that has us sending out a PF (not named Zach) only to get another overpaid veteran is beyond ridiculous.

Artest hits the market the way Rashard Lewis did last year. There is no ifs ands or buts about it. This not the time to deal for him.

If that is the case then the Knicks will not be making any trades at all. The Kings do not want anything the Knicks have besides Lee, and not even Lee that bad. The only reason Kings fans are proposing trades is because its rumored that the Knicks want Artest badly.
Ballito
Starter

Post#16 » by Ballito » Fri Jan 4, 2008 4:24 am

Clark_Kent411 wrote:Lee + Nate + Jeffries for Artest + 2008 1st round pick

Its been well noted kings want nate and lee..this would probably be the trade that goes thru...maybe a second instead of they first or a protect pick from sac
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,977

Post#17 » by Manhattan Project » Fri Jan 4, 2008 4:30 am

Aside from the fact that Artest is not coming to the Knicks there is no blessing in disguise for the Kings. They are just going to get delusional to think that when the three come back they will have a chance at the playoffs? Why bother is what im thinking. They cant contend in the West with the current roster, they are better off letting the younger players including Douby play because they need an impact player. The Kings need to move both Bibby and Artest. Rebuild that team already...
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
rammagen
Head Coach
And1: 778

Post#18 » by rammagen » Fri Jan 4, 2008 4:47 am

sackings916 wrote:None of these trades are realistic.

If that is the case then nope no lee or thomas in the deal. Sorry but I'll make a run at him in the off season. Randolph/curry needs to go that means lee is starting.if you instist on thomas definatley no lee.
Quote from ESPN’s Bill Simmons posted on Twitter “28 FT’s to 5. I don’t watch rigged NBA games, I’m switching to hockey”
midtown
Veteran

Post#19 » by midtown » Fri Jan 4, 2008 4:57 am

StutterStep wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Again, there is no need to trade 2 young players and expiring for Artest.

The guy hits the market in a few months with contracts starting at $10million per year. This will probably be done using contracts for a S&T.

We can do that with Malik Rose's expiring and don't even bat an eye.

Your trade is very short-sighted.

Short sighted? Well, I just think that Artest will opt out probably after the trade deadline. I think he would not opt out if he was traded to NY. S&T would be the only way NY gets him this summer and thats only if SAC likes the deal NY is giving it. Why would SAC agree to take on Malik instead of 2 youngs and an expiring? Talk about short sighted

and I disagree. Artest is worth Nate Robinson & Balkman . Balkman is so inconsistant and so is Nate . Artest is in a whole different league and is also young . We have a solid 6 years left out of him
CrazyEyes
RealGM
And1: 1

Post#20 » by CrazyEyes » Fri Jan 4, 2008 5:27 am

duetta wrote:I wouldn't, because Artest will not be back until February, the Knicks will be, what, 20 games under .500 by then? What's the point?

That works out great for us. Top 5 draft pick AND Artest? Sign me up.

1) We can spend the rest of the season "showcasing" the guys who need to go. If we force fed Curry 20 shots a game some team desperate for low post scoring would take him off our hands -- might even give us a 1st rounder or a decent young prospect. IF you're in the camp who believes Randolph has to go then fine -- we showcase him. Same idea. Someone will bite.

2) Play the young guys. Find out who is worth keeping so we can go into the summer with a realistic idea of what the team needs are.

3) Sit Marbury, Q, Rose, etc. We're stuck with Q so might as well try to let him get healthy for next season. Marbury & Rose are just fodder for a trade or, if nothing good is offered, we just let them expire and start planning for some cap space in 2010/11.

4) Resign Artest to a reasonable contract with a team option in the middle of the contract as an insurance policy.

5) This is a draft where we might be able to land a guy who we can really build around. I believe we have quite a few guys who could excel if they were playing with a guy who could carry a team and step up as a franchise player. Even guys like Curry & Crawford could be good role players. Lee is the ultimate supporting cast guy. We'd be in pretty good shape for the future.

Return to New York Knicks