ImageImageImageImageImage

donnie walsh townhall recap...

Moderators: j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O

TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 116

Re: donnie walsh townhall recap... 

Post#81 » by TKF » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:16 pm

I do not believe the sky is falling and this team has zero talent, like you apparently do.'

I do not believe that everything that I hear that contradicts my preconception is a lie and everything that supports it is a truth, as you apparently do.

I do think Crawford is one of this leagues better scorers and has never played for a coach or on a team that could come close to raising him to his ability level, though part of the fault certainly lies with Jamal himself. I do not think Houston or Miller are good comparisons for Jamal but obviously Walsh isnt suggesting this, hes just using players who had break out years as examples from his past. You should be able to understand that.

I think Q's troubles have been principally health related and secondarily team related. I think Q's shooting is confidence based first and system based second. I think both will improve with D'Antoni. I think he is a very solid rebounder and defender as well as a good post scorer and leader. I think we will get a good season from Q this year if he can keep weight off his back.

Clear?

And if I remember correctly, walsh had good things to say about jamal, even while he was GM for the pacers. I like jamal, and am aware of his flaws and I can see why walsh likes him... Q has been a dissapointment, but the guy has been through a lot mentally(murder of his brother) and physically. I give him a pass somewhat because he has put in a full effort on defesne....

for me, I am prepared for some losing, and won't be suprised if we are decent, but I am willing to wait and see what happens, I like some of our young guys, so all is not lost with me..
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,520

Post#82 » by blueNorange » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:20 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:
blueNorange wrote:i don't care, i just want them to lose as many games to get a top pick next year.

then sign wade or james in 2010

That is an interesting question. As a fan, do I want this team to suck, or do I want them to impress me next year.

Tough call.

there's nothing tough about it, they're not a good team and won't be good next year.

either the knicks win 20-25 games and get a top pick next year or they win 30-35 games, miss the playoffs, and get a bad position at the draft in 2009.

the only place that gets you is into mediocre status. just like the kings, just like the pacers, just like the bucks, just like the nets, etc.

you know, the not bad but not good team.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
ctorres
RealGM
And1: 3,577

Post#83 » by ctorres » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:28 pm

30-35 wins can also get you the #1 pick like it did for the Chicago Bulls.

If we're not going to make the playoffs, I would rather us go down with a fight than without one. I just don't see the sense in following a team if you want to root for them to lose games every season just for the chance at a top pick.

06-07 season was very enjoyable for me. We had a 33 win season and by the time the draft came up, we got to pick Wilson Chandler, who everyone has been hyping here. Sure it was a downer when we weren't able to make the playoffs, but it's like some people say, "I would rather have loved and had my heartbroken than to have never loved before". I would much rather get my hopes up that the players can turn the ship around this season and fail than to just give up hope on the season almost 3 months before it even begins.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,881

Post#84 » by NoLayupRule » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:31 pm

blueNorange wrote:there's nothing tough about it, they're not a good team and won't be good next year.

either the knicks win 20-25 games and get a top pick next year or they win 30-35 games, miss the playoffs, and get a bad position at the draft in 2009.

the only place that gets you is into mediocre status. just like the kings, just like the pacers, just like the bucks, just like the nets, etc.

yeah, and like the Bulls this year or the blazers last year and the raptors the year before. oh wait.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#85 » by blueNorange » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:31 pm

ctorres wrote:If we're not going to make the playoffs, I would rather us go down with a fight than without one.

no
LOL Y U MAD THO?
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#86 » by NoLayupRule » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:34 pm

ctorres wrote:30-35 wins can also get you the #1 pick like it did for the Chicago Bulls.

If we're not going to make the playoffs, I would rather us go down with a fight than without one. I just don't see the sense in following a team if you want to root for them to lose games every season just for the chance at a top pick.

06-07 season was very enjoyable for me. We had a 33 win season and by the time the draft came up, we got to pick Wilson Chandler, who everyone has been hyping here. Sure it was a downer when we weren't able to make the playoffs, but it's like some people say, "I would rather have loved and had my heartbroken than to have never loved before". I would much rather get my hopes up that the players can turn the ship around this season and fail than to just give up hope on the season almost 3 months before it even begins.

great post, exactly what I was thinking too.

And lets remember that the worst team in the league has not gotten the top pick in ages - was LeBron the last time? ALso that often the top pick goes to midlevel lottery teams as it did to Toronto, Mil, Port and Chi recently
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 128,282

Post#87 » by god shammgod » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:34 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:I do not believe the sky is falling and this team has zero talent, like you apparently do.'

I do not believe that everything that I hear that contradicts my preconception is a lie and everything that supports it is a truth, as you apparently do.

I do think Crawford is one of this leagues better scorers and has never played for a coach or on a team that could come close to raising him to his ability level, though part of the fault certainly lies with Jamal himself. I do not think Houston or Miller are good comparisons for Jamal but obviously Walsh isnt suggesting this, hes just using players who had break out years as examples from his past. You should be able to understand that.

I think Q's troubles have been principally health related and secondarily team related. I think Q's shooting is confidence based first and system based second. I think both will improve with D'Antoni. I think he is a very solid rebounder and defender as well as a good post scorer and leader. I think we will get a good season from Q this year if he can keep weight off his back.

Clear?

it's clear that free speech is encouraged on this board until you don't buy into all the naive optimism. most of the vocal anti-isiah group was banned a while ago. not for breaking the rules which people do all the time but for being "too negative". now looking back, clearly they were right more then they were wrong. it's also clear that you're in for a big disappointment next year. the way things work, i probably won't be around by then. not that i care because it's clear that no discussion can be had if everyone is forced to mostly agree with each other and that's clearly what you're after around here.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#88 » by blueNorange » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:38 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:
blueNorange wrote:there's nothing tough about it, they're not a good team and won't be good next year.

yeah, and like the Bulls this year or the blazers last year and the raptors the year before. oh wait.

the 2006-07 nba season was good for all teams as even though the blazers won 32 games they were still the 6th worst team in the nba.

and what are you talking about the raptors in the 2005-06 nba season?? they were the 5th worst team in the nba.

good job though, i'll give you a cookie for trying.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,552

Post#89 » by stuporman » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:43 pm

Aww geez here we go with the martyr crappola and everyone hates me cause I'm right. LOL......

How bout us middle of the road realists? It's not all black and white....
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 128,282

Post#90 » by god shammgod » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:44 pm

stuporman wrote:Aww geez here we go with the martyr crappola and everyone hates me cause I'm right. LOL......

you're the worst. at least choose a side. what are you switzerland ?
stuporman
RealGM

Post#91 » by stuporman » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:48 pm

god shammgod wrote:
stuporman wrote:Aww geez here we go with the martyr crappola and everyone hates me cause I'm right. LOL......

you're the worst. at least choose a side. what are you switzerland ?

Yea, us realists are the worst. No room for reasoned middle ground here. So I should just choose a biased delusion and stick with it through hell and high water? Hmmmmmm......
Image?
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#92 » by NoLayupRule » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:51 pm

blueNorange wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:

the 2006-07 nba season was good for all teams as even though the blazers won 32 games they were still the 6th worst team in the nba.

and what are you talking about the raptors in the 2005-06 nba season?? they were the 5th worst team in the nba.

good job though, i'll give you a cookie for trying.

do you think by being condescending and wrong somehow the two combine to make you entertaining or does your self delusion manifest in other ways?
stuporman
RealGM

Post#93 » by stuporman » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:53 pm

I like NY style pizza...there. That's my position. I won't change it for anything.
Image?
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#94 » by NoLayupRule » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:09 pm

stuporman wrote:I like NY style pizza...there. That's my position. I won't change it for anything.

yet another Anti-Chicago post by stuporman!
DMan101
Senior
And1: 4

Post#95 » by DMan101 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:29 pm

Well he's right Chicago sucks for everything but rap music
ChemicalBk.Tumblr.com
DesignStudio
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#96 » by DesignStudio » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:55 pm

Why is nobody talking about Mardy? He is a smart play for DanDan's system. Maybe there is hope for him?
King Jaffy Jo
Rookie
And1: 11

Post#97 » by King Jaffy Jo » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:07 pm

DesignStudio wrote:Why is nobody talking about Mardy? He is a smart play for DanDan's system. Maybe there is hope for him?

not a big mardy fan these days. i just feel like he's useless and should be lucky he's in the league.

hopefully he'll impress and not just take up a roster spot
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,366

Post#98 » by GONYK » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:09 pm

DesignStudio wrote:Why is nobody talking about Mardy? He is a smart play for DanDan's system. Maybe there is hope for him?

I've always liked Mardy, ever since he was in college. I think there is still hope for him. He can play, he just needs the minutes to show it.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,908

Post#99 » by KnicksGadfly » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:09 pm

GONYK wrote:

I've always liked Mardy, ever since he was in college. I think there is still hope for him. He can play, he just needs the minutes to show it.

Agreed. I just like the fact that he's big, a defender, and is not a ballhog. He might not be a star, but if he works out (i think right now it's unlikely), he can be productive for us. Then again, he fell victim to the Isiah plan, where young players would get a ton of minutes and then disappeared for the rest of the season.
camillepd
Assistant Coach
And1: 953

Post#100 » by camillepd » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:23 pm

`szzz

Return to New York Knicks