ImageImageImageImageImage

1/27/09 - 2/3/09 Trade Thread

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

KnicksManiac
RealGM
And1: 952

Trade Idea: Malik Rose for Marcus Camby 

Post#1 » by KnicksManiac » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:23 pm

The Clippers are not making the playoffs. The Knicks might make the playoffs. To do this, I think we need a strong center who can be a great shot-blocking presence. This man is Marcus Camby. I thought we were going to get him instead of Mobley in the Randolph deal. Let's get him now.

Knicks Trade: Malik Rose (expiring)
Clippers Trade: Marcus Camby (expiring at the end of next season)

The Clippers save $8 million which is big not only because their owner is cheap, but also because these are difficult economic times. Maybe the Knicks would have to throw in a second round pick to sweeten the pot but I think this would be a trade that both teams consider. We would go with a rotation of:

Camby
Lee
Chandler
Q
Duhon

With Harrington, Nate, TT, and Gallo off the bench.

Playoff team.
Big Dawg
Junior
And1: 3

Re: Trade Idea: Malik Rose for Marcus Camby 

Post#2 » by Big Dawg » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:27 pm

I would do it in a NY minute, but I don't think L.A. does it. They still haven't had Kaman, Randolph and Camby healthy at the same time yet for any significant length. They probably would like to know if it will work first.
knick4life1218
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#3 » by knick4life1218 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:27 pm

no way in hell the clips do this for just malik rose, its a no brainer for the knicks, but there is no way the clippers do this
emo
RealGM
And1: 4,732

Post#4 » by emo » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:28 pm

Guano wrote:Will be interesting to see how this place transitions from killing Melo to turning on KP. I'm hoping Frank shows out so we can divide into Frank vs KP factions. That should be fun.
hobojoe2131
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#5 » by hobojoe2131 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:29 pm

We would have to throw in something substantial to sweeten the pot.

Nate would probably get ii done...but idk if that is a price I want to pay the way he has been playing recently.
^ MP creation
StutterStep
RealGM
And1: 58

Post#6 » by StutterStep » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:33 pm

Clear it with Dolan, and be willing to sweeten the pot... Nate will not get it done, and we should not be adding picks to take back salary.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,874

Post#7 » by NoLayupRule » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:35 pm

Id be happy as a clam to see this trade happen
hobojoe2131
Assistant Coach

Post#8 » by hobojoe2131 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:36 pm

StutterStep wrote:Clear it with Dolan, and be willing to sweeten the pot... Nate will not get it done, and we should not be adding picks to take back salary.

It's not really taking back salary though because we wont be under the cap until 2010 when all our big salaries come off the books anyways besides Curry and Jeffries of course.
^ MP creation
duhon-duhon
Bench Warmer

Post#9 » by duhon-duhon » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:40 pm

The problem, as is with most proposed Knicks trades, is that othet teams can probably offer more for Camby.

A combination of cap relief, a young player/project and/or a future 1st rounder, which I believe the Knicks cannot trade for the next three seasons due to the fact next year's is already traded.
JohnStarksTheDunk
General Manager
And1: 2,008

Post#10 » by JohnStarksTheDunk » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:46 pm

Great trade for the Knicks, but as others have said, LAC would never do this. They're only saving one year of salary on a guy that's averaging 12, 14, and 2.6 blocks. Camby is a bargain at $8 million, so they wouldn't trade him in just a salary dump.
StutterStep
RealGM
And1: 58

Post#11 » by StutterStep » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:46 pm

hobojoe2131 wrote:
StutterStep wrote:Clear it with Dolan, and be willing to sweeten the pot... Nate will not get it done, and we should not be adding picks to take back salary.

It's not really taking back salary though because we wont be under the cap until 2010 when all our big salaries come off the books anyways besides Curry and Jeffries of course.

Camby makes 7.6. Add that to our upcoming draft pick, and that could be the difference between being in Lux Tax area.
mugzi
General Manager
And1: 1,009

Post#12 » by mugzi » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:59 pm

We have a trade thread. Mods start banning anyone who doesnt post their ideas in there. LOL
YouTube:CNDUBL
I never take offense
Or make amends
I was eight last time
I said Amen
Hard as steel won’t
Break or bend
Iron Mikes as real
As the day it ends.
BelieveTheDream
RealGM
And1: 45

Post#13 » by BelieveTheDream » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:05 pm

haha this makes no sense for the clippers?
kosmovitelli
RealGM
And1: 429

Post#14 » by kosmovitelli » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:22 pm

The Clippers refused to trade Marcus Camby so far so I can't them changing their tune.

Acquiring Zach Randolph made sense for them because they were desperate for low post scoring and pairing Zach with Marcus made sense. So far they didn't play that much together.

The Clippers invested lots of money into Baron Davis and Zach Randolph, I don't think they will trade Marcus Camby. And if they do, they certainly can get more than an expiring contract liek Malik Rose.

You have a point though because the Clippers have Zach Randolph, Marcus Camby, Chris Kaman and DeAndre Jordan. Obviously if all 4 are healthy one has to go. I wouldn't be surprised to see them trade one of them (either at the deadline or next summer) but in all likelihood it will be Kaman. He's the guy with the bigger contract as he's paid $10M per season and has 3 and half years left on his deal. Trading Kaman would help the Clippers salary cap and would clear the way for DeAndre Jordan.
TheBluest
Banned User
And1: 8
Location: Lottery Bound...Banned From UK 2-11-09 @ 12:30 am by Martin LOL!

Post#15 » by TheBluest » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:35 pm

KnicksManiac wrote:The Clippers are not making the playoffs. The Knicks might make the playoffs. To do this, I think we need a strong center who can be a great shot-blocking presence. This man is Marcus Camby. I thought we were going to get him instead of Mobley in the Randolph deal. Let's get him now.

Knicks Trade: Malik Rose (expiring)
Clippers Trade: Marcus Camby (expiring at the end of next season)

The Clippers save $8 million which is big not only because their owner is cheap, but also because these are difficult economic times. Maybe the Knicks would have to throw in a second round pick to sweeten the pot but I think this would be a trade that both teams consider. We would go with a rotation of:

Camby
Lee
Chandler
Q
Duhon

With Harrington, Nate, TT, and Gallo off the bench.

Playoff team.

KnicksManiac
RealGM
And1: 952

Post#16 » by KnicksManiac » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:47 pm

The Clippers are going nowhere. Camby is an 35 year old, injury-prone center. They save $8 million. I don't think he exactly fits in with their "rebuilding" process. I put rebuilding in quotes because the Clippers are a team with no direction.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#17 » by RHODEY » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:59 pm

KnicksManiac wrote:The Clippers are going nowhere. Camby is an 35 year old, injury-prone center. They save $8 million. I don't think he exactly fits in with their "rebuilding" process. I put rebuilding in quotes because the Clippers are a team with no direction.

Good point, the Clips are the only "win now" lottery bound tea in the league.
ctorres
RealGM
And1: 3,570

Post#18 » by ctorres » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:23 pm

The Clippers, like the Wizards, are taking the year off this season. Both should come back strong next year.
TheBluest
Banned User

Post#19 » by TheBluest » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:41 pm

KnicksManiac wrote:The Clippers are going nowhere. Camby is an 35 year old, injury-prone center. They save $8 million. I don't think he exactly fits in with their "rebuilding" process. I put rebuilding in quotes because the Clippers are a team with no direction.

Terrible Yr but to imply they are no man's land is ridiculous. See my post towards the bottom
http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=874862&start=60

Remember how everyone was saying holding on to Zach could be a good thing because his contract gets shorter?
TheBluest
Banned User

Post#20 » by TheBluest » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:43 pm

ctorres wrote:The Clippers, like the Wizards, are taking the year off this season. Both should come back strong next year.

Bingo! If Wiz stay healthy count them as a team finishing ahead of us playoffs or no playoffs.

Return to New York Knicks