ImageImageImageImageImage

1/27/09 - 2/3/09 Trade Thread

Moderators: j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O

magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Re: Available! 

Post#61 » by magnumt » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:58 pm

I think Miami and NY would pass on that.

IMO let Philly suck it up and deal with their now Albatross Contract after signing and raving about their "prized" asset they signed away from the Clippers. Serves both Philly and Brand right for screwing the Clippers and pulling a Boozer-type move.

Why would Miami and NY want to help them out and make them possible players in nearby Free Agencies with Salary relief?

AND to top it off, BOTH the Heat and Knicks have to give Philly picks too? GTFO with that horrible trade. :lol:
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
Grover
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#62 » by Grover » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:34 pm

Knicks say yes and offer more picks due to the guilt of rape. Miami declines due to length and Brand's apparent falloff. Philly and Charlotte laugh and hang up. LOL
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,883

Post#63 » by NoLayupRule » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:40 pm

I dont think this is worth it to us

we lose nate for nothing and, even though people seem to be as fickle as children, we should all recognize his talent. Losing Curry and JJ is fine for the 2010 plan but we'd then be fools not to sign Lee {and he'd have a solid bargaining chip} and we'd be in a tough position with resigning or letting Marion walk.

Is Marion the guy we want to offer a long contract to? If not then why make this trade and not simply explore moving JJ and Curry in simpler more realistic trades?
Ralphie96
Starter
And1: 54

Post#64 » by Ralphie96 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:46 pm

Thescout wrote:who say's David Lee is a center.......the position fits Him, 76ers just made Brand available as per ESPN. they dont need a SF they get a chance to get cap Relief and 2 draft picks

lol what? who said the SF is beasley's "natural" position?!?
Gold Chain
RealGM
And1: 161

Post#65 » by Gold Chain » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:04 pm

Totally one-sided deal and not realistic.

When making trades, try to think like a Real GM instead of someone on RealGM.
Synciere
General Manager
And1: 4,705

Post#66 » by Synciere » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:09 pm

Wow, I saw this trade and thought, Philly may decline it because they get back trash, but they get cap relief galore.

Knicks may decline it, but they get rid of two players who we don't want long term and the only cost is Nate.. We get a large expiring, probably open up room for moves this summer, get a former D'Antoni player, and generally continue the 2010 plan while getting out of our cap hell. Knicks have already shown we'd downgrade talent to save money.

Miami may decline it, because Brand plays Beasley's natural position, and they lose out financially big time, but they the best player in the deal.

I think the Knicks and Philly do this. I think Miami says it's going to cost too much. I'm surprised you guys said you wouldn't do this from a Knicks standpoint. As far as unlikely multiplayer trades go, this isn't half bad. Philly and NY save, Miami gets better, but I think they get the best player and the best value in Nate. Call me crazy, but I like this deal.
don't panac
Analyst
And1: 664

Post#67 » by don't panac » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:24 pm

i can't believe some say knicks wouldn't do it.
rpa
RealGM
And1: 7,462

Re: 1/27/09 - 2/3/09 Trade Thread 

Post#68 » by rpa » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:43 pm

knicksNOTslick wrote:
klemen4 wrote:Combined salary for the 3 players for next season is 24.5 mio Vs 10.5 mio for Curry

That is 14 mio more, add salary tax x2

You think Dolan would pay 8 mio more?

Hmmm, but he than saves Curry 11 mio x2 =22 mio in 2010

So the diference is "only" 6 mio.

Uff...worth a try :)

Only 6 million?

The money they save due to Marbury's expiring can actually help them sign someone in 2009...especially when not so many teams are under the cap at this time as everyone is gearing up for 2010. I doubt any big time free agent will sign with them in 2010 so really, their only chance at getting someone good, like a Boozer for example...would be in 2009.

They can suck some more this year and get a top 3 pick to build around with Kevin Martin and the FA they're gonna sign in 09. That's a nice way to rebuild right there. And all they had to give up was some old guys who will never amount to more than role players who expire in 2010.

They'll only get Curry for an extra year, which at that case, he'd be a valuable expiring contract.

You fail to realize that the Kings could simple dump Miller for an expiring contract (which his value is > than anyways) and have roughly the same amount of 2009 cap space that they'd have from your trade except they wouldn't have to take on Curry's albatross contract. Numbers:

Trading Miller means of the players involved the Kings would be paying Thomas $7.9mil & Moore $2-3mil (he has a buyout which would be exercised in this case) for 09-10; so $10-$11mil

Make the proposed trade and the Kings are paying Curry $10.5mil; the difference is the Kings are paying that next year AND the year after. In essence you have the Kings paying roughly $11mil more than what they should be paying in any reasonable scenario for the same outcome.
StutterStep
RealGM
And1: 58

Post#69 » by StutterStep » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:51 am

Funny thing: Brand is being shopped 1/2 into his first season. People thought I was being a hater when I said he was overrated and not (much) better than Zach.

RPA, please stop with your ideas because I remember you when Artest trade talks used to surface. What exactly did you get for Artest?
boogeydown
Rookie
And1: 18

Post#70 » by boogeydown » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:25 am

How about this deal.

NY gets:
Raef LaFrentz

Portland gets:
Eddy Curry, Wilson Chandler

it works on th etrade checker. we dump Curry for an expiring contract.
projectpaki
Pro Prospect
And1: 45

Post#71 » by projectpaki » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:35 am

na, better yet curry and robinson to memphis for milicic and conley

but on the real, ill cry a lil if we were to ever trade nate
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,325

Post#72 » by Mecca » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:21 am

boogeydown wrote:How about this deal.

NY gets:
Raef LaFrentz

Portland gets:

Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
hobojoe2131
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#73 » by hobojoe2131 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:50 pm

boogeydown wrote:How about this deal.

NY gets:
Raef LaFrentz

Portland gets:

I see your reasoning, but giving up Chandler isnt worth it imo.
^ MP creation
putiger78
Sixth Man
And1: 206

Re: Marbury/Jefferies for O'Neal/Parker 

Post#74 » by putiger78 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:56 pm

Just a thought here -
With Toronto looking to unload O'Neal, largely for monetary reasons, and us looking to lower our 2010 cap number, how about a J. O'Neal and A. Parker swap for Marbury/Jefferies. I could think of several reasons why either team would pass, especially Toronto, but here are my thoughts:

- Toronto saves $16MM off its 2009 cap and puts them into position to be players in free agency this offseason when most teams will be over the cap.

- We have to pay O'Neal an absurd $23MM next year, but he expires in 2010 and we get $7MM off our 2010-11 cap number by shedding the $7MM+ we would owe Jefferies that year. Parker is expiring.

For Toronto, they save about $9MM total (one year of O'Neal at $23Mm vs two years of Jefferies at $7MM each). They either cut Marbury or let him play out the season, his value is solely the expiring contract. Basketball wise, O'Neal is obviously better than jefferies, but Jefferies may fit in nicely with Bosh and Bargnani, who are both scorers.

For us, we mostly do it for the savings in 2010, but we also benefit from having a guy that can block shots and defend the post and allows Lee to play more at his natural position, the 4. We would be in good shape to resign Lee this offseason.

Probably makes more sense for the Knicks... but with the bad economy Toronto may consider it. Not a great move basketball wise for Toronto, but they already have two scoring bigs and would have a nice defensive lineup with Jefferies. Toronto could hesitate on something like this also because it would help the Knicks be in a position to sign Bosh in 2010.

Thoughts???
btrue
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#75 » by btrue » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:17 am

The one move the Knicks should attempt to keep it simple, Send Steph to Toronto along with Cash and Future Considerations for Jermaine O'Neal. This move will anchor us in the middle for the rest of this year. Our Lineup
SF Al Harrington
PF David Lee
C Jermaine O'Neal
PG Chris Duhon
SG Wilson Chandler
With Nate, Tim, Q, JJ, & Gallo off the Bench.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,860

Post#76 » by cgf » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:33 am

Synciere wrote:Wow, I saw this trade and thought, Philly may decline it because they get back trash, but they get cap relief galore.

Knicks may decline it, but they get rid of two players who we don't want long term and the only cost is Nate.. We get a large expiring, probably open up room for moves this summer, get a former D'Antoni player, and generally continue the 2010 plan while getting out of our cap hell. Knicks have already shown we'd downgrade talent to save money.

Miami may decline it, because Brand plays Beasley's natural position, and they lose out financially big time, but they the best player in the deal.

I think the Knicks and Philly do this. I think Miami says it's going to cost too much. I'm surprised you guys said you wouldn't do this from a Knicks standpoint. As far as unlikely multiplayer trades go, this isn't half bad. Philly and NY save, Miami gets better, but I think they get the best player and the best value in Nate. Call me crazy, but I like this deal.

This trade is completely dependent on Larry Brown still being crazy and wanting to trade that cap space for Curry and Jeffries, otherwise I could see Miami going for it if they think Beasley and Brand can mix, philly biting on that huge cap space and us gladly giving up nate and some second rounders to dump curry and jeffries for marion's expiring contract+
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
defjux21
Analyst
And1: 85

Post#77 » by defjux21 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:26 pm

How about this proposal:

NY offers Malik's expiring contract
OKC offers the rights to Serge Ibaka (plus other filler like Watson)

Ibaka's currently playing overseas. He's 6'10" 230. He can be our DeAndre Jordan type player (slightly smaller frame, but just as much of a freak athlete). His player profile seems close to Tyrus Thomas, except Ibaka actually has a jumpshot. He's naturally a great shot-blocker with high potential.

The Thunder have 3 first round picks next season, one of which will be a top 5 pick. Even if Ibaka comes back, he may not get much attention and PT since OKC has other young players to develop. Therefore, they may be willing to give up his rights if it means saving money, especially considering that Durant will most likely be extended to the max next season.
btrue
Freshman

Post#78 » by btrue » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:55 pm

The one move the Knicks should attempt, First to keep it simple, Send Stephon Marbury to Toronto
along with Cash and Future Considerations for Jermaine O'Neal. This move will anchor us in the
middle for the rest of this year. Our Lineup

SF Al Harrington

PF David Lee

C Jermaine O'Neal

PG Chris Duhon

SG Wilson Chandler

With: Nate, Tim, Q, JJ, & Gallo off the Bench.

Your Thoughts?
dali718
Ballboy

Post#79 » by dali718 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:32 am

btrue wrote:The one move the Knicks should attempt, First to keep it simple, Send Stephon Marbury to Toronto
along with Cash and Future Considerations for Jermaine O'Neal. This move will anchor us in the

SF Al Harrington

PF David Lee

C Jermaine O'Neal

PG Chris Duhon

SG Wilson Chandler

Your Thoughts?

I'd do this deal. If J.O. can come in, not try to be the man, and fit into D'antoni ball I think his defense and shot blocking can help us lower our opp. field goal percentages and with our ability to score can give us some hope come playoff time. I can see our best defensive line-up be C Jeffries, PF O'neal, SF Chandler, SG Q-rich, PG Duhon. Our best offensive line-up be C O'neal, PF Lee, SF Gallo, SG Nate PG Duhon. He doesn't hurt our 2010 cap and it's only a gamble for Dolan if he can stay healthy or not. This would have to be a pure salary dump for Toronto and they might have a better deal going with Marion, as he makes less than Steph and can actually fill a hole on their team.
Banned User

Post#80 » by 420520620720 » Sun Feb 1, 2009 12:24 am

btrue wrote:The one move the Knicks should attempt, First to keep it simple, Send Stephon Marbury to Toronto

SF Al Harrington

PF David Lee

C Jermaine O'Neal

PG Chris Duhonate
SG Wilson Chandler

Your Thoughts?

My thoughts as a raptor fan are that You need jos 23 million expiring contract to properly rebuild your billion dollar franchise in 2010.
So how about WE take currys albatross contract off your hands and get your first this year + chandler +nate+jefferies
for oneal +kapono
Something in that neighborhood is more realistic.
Right now marion is on the table and there is zero chance i promise you of colangelo taking marbury.

Return to New York Knicks