ImageImageImageImageImage

Rubio and Kings move on...he meets with OKC

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM
And1: 2,849

Rubio and Kings move on...he meets with OKC 

Post#1 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:25 am

Just as the notion of Ricky Rubio in a Kings uniform is seeming less likely by the day, there is this unsurprising news: he is moving on.

A source with knowledge of the situation said Rubio was visited in Los Angeles today by the Oklahoma City Thunder, who have the No. 3 pick in the June 25 draft. This matters mostly because Rubio's visit in Sacramento this week came with unspoken terms, an understanding of sorts that a Rubio promise on the Kings' part could have stopped his American tour with just one concert. But that clearly never happened, and certainly not only because Rubio was unable to get on the floor Thursday when he fell ill.

So he continues to interview away, certainly hoping to not fall below the fourth spot if only because that $6.6 million buyout has to be paid for somehow. There has been talk of a second Sacramento visit, but I'm not sure that's plausible now since he is believed to be headed back to Spain on Sunday. - Sam Amick, SacBee
Smoke24
RealGM
And1: 11

Re: Rubio and Kings move on...he meets with OKC 

Post#2 » by Smoke24 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:33 am

Its $6.6 million? I thought it was 6?

Aww well, we may be witnessing the most unexpected drop of this draft. That #5 spot seems like prime real estate right now. The Wizards can come off if he gets passed by the Grizz & OKC.
BelieveTheDream
RealGM
And1: 45

Post#3 » by BelieveTheDream » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:33 am

RUBIO PLEASE BE A KNICK SOMEHOW I cant take all this wilson chandler trade bs and the only thing thatll make things better right now is you in a knick uniform...
VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM
And1: 2,849

Post#4 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:39 am

Smoke24 wrote:Its $6.6 million? I thought it was 6?

Aww well, we may be witnessing the most unexpected drop of this draft. That #5 spot seems like prime real estate right now. The Wizards can come off if he gets passed by the Grizz & OKC.

Memphis may lose some leverage if teams think Rubio slides some in the draft.
hard49
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#5 » by hard49 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:47 am

The one assumption everyone makes is that the Grizzlies have Rubio 2nd on their board. Not sure about that right now.
rpa
RealGM
And1: 7,454

Post#6 » by rpa » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:51 am

I don't really agree with the conclusion. I assume his implication is that if the Kings promised Rubio they'd take him then he'd stop meeting with other teams? That doesn't make much sense seeing as how OKC is picking BEFORE the Kings. His theory may have legs if Rubio met with the Wizards brass but meeting with OKC really doesn't tell us squat.
livintoolive
Head Coach
And1: 173

Post#7 » by livintoolive » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:14 am

rpa wrote:I don't really agree with the conclusion. I assume his implication is that if the Kings promised Rubio they'd take him then he'd stop meeting with other teams? That doesn't make much sense seeing as how OKC is picking BEFORE the Kings. His theory may have legs if Rubio met with the Wizards brass but meeting with OKC really doesn't tell us squat.

Rubio didn't want just as high of a pick, he wanted a favorable scenario and most people felt that the one spot drop off from OKC to SAC was worth it for playing in SAC.
R-DAWG wrote:i'd rather have the pick to package with Amare's contract next offseason, but hey, I'm just an MBA student at NYU what do I know about business.
rpa
RealGM

Post#8 » by rpa » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:35 am

livintoolive wrote:Rubio didn't want just as high of a pick, he wanted a favorable scenario and most people felt that the one spot drop off from OKC to SAC was worth it for playing in SAC.

It may be but that's not really my point. My point is that OKC has 1st dips on Rubio so him meeting with them (just like he met with the Grizz) really tells us nothing. Besides, had the Kings given him a vote of confidence ("we want you, you're our future" or whatever) then doesn't it make sense to meet with the other team standing between you and the Kings and tell them "we feel that we'd be better suited playing in Sacramento, we aren't saying we'll hold out/go back to Europe but ....".
Smoke24
RealGM

Post#9 » by Smoke24 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:38 am

rpa wrote:
livintoolive wrote:Rubio didn't want just as high of a pick, he wanted a favorable scenario and most people felt that the one spot drop off from OKC to SAC was worth it for playing in SAC.

It may be but that's not really my point. My point is that OKC has 1st dips on Rubio so him meeting with them (just like he met with the Grizz) really tells us nothing. Besides, had the Kings given him a vote of confidence ("we want you, you're our future" or whatever) then doesn't it make sense to meet with the other team standing between you and the Kings and tell them "we feel that we'd be better suited playing in Sacramento, we aren't saying we'll hold out/go back to Europe but ....".

How is he going to pay this Buyout? Teams can only pay a half-a-million and I doubt Rubio has $6 million just laying around. Which means he is going to have to have a third party here (Nike Maybe), and we all know about Nike and big markets.

No one is going to spend a lotto pick on him just so he can stay in Europe for another year or years. He needs to get that fixed before long.
rpa
RealGM

Post#10 » by rpa » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:54 am

Smoke24 wrote:How is he going to pay this Buyout? Teams can only pay a half-a-million and I doubt Rubio has $6 million just laying around. Which means he is going to have to have a third party here (Nike Maybe), and we all know about Nike and big markets.

No one is going to spend a lotto pick on him just so he can stay in Europe for another year or years. He needs to get that fixed before long.

There are these things called loans.
Smoke24
RealGM

Post#11 » by Smoke24 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:58 am

rpa wrote:
Smoke24 wrote:How is he going to pay this Buyout? Teams can only pay a half-a-million and I doubt Rubio has $6 million just laying around. Which means he is going to have to have a third party here (Nike Maybe), and we all know about Nike and big markets.

I like the endorsement idea better, he doesn't have to pay that money back.
vinnie_vegas69
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 71

Post#12 » by vinnie_vegas69 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:03 am

Smoke24 wrote:
rpa wrote:

I like the endorsement idea better, he doesn't have to pay that money back.

The endorsement money wouldn't be likely to come in one big sum right away - You take out a loan against future earnings, and then use the endorsement money and your contract to pay off your loan.

In the end, he'll probably earn squillions and never worry - Even if he's a Kwame Brown-level bust, he'll get a $30 million contract after his rookie deal.
midtown
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#13 » by midtown » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:14 am

If he heads back to Spain on Sunday and misses being at the draft , its a pretty good indication that he is planning on playing in Spain next year...

Maybe its a scare tactic but lets all remember what Fran Vasquez did to Orlando
667Club
Bench Warmer

Post#14 » by 667Club » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:35 am

You guys are delusionnal

First the Knicks have no use for Rubio, you need a shooter or a slasher at point guard to go with a ball dominant superstar like Dwade or James.

Second there is no way Rubio goes past 4 and he will probably be picked by Memphis at the 2 anyway.
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,355

Post#15 » by gavran » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:43 am

667Club wrote:You guys are delusionnal
First the Knicks have no use for Rubio,

:rofl:
Smoke24
RealGM

Post#16 » by Smoke24 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:52 am

667Club wrote:You guys are delusionnal

First the Knicks have no use for Rubio, you need a shooter or a slasher at point guard to go with a ball dominant superstar like Dwade or James.

Second there is no way Rubio goes past 4 and he will probably be picked by Memphis at the 2 anyway.

New York Knicks

Pick: 8
Team Needs: Everything

The Skinny: The Knicks are one of those teams that really need help at every position. David Lee is a free agent this summer. So is Nate Robinson. Everyone else on their team, with the exception of last year's lottery pick, Danilo Gallinari, is a short-term -- not long-term -- solution. So the Knicks do have the luxury of drafting on talent, not need. Whether it's a point guard, swingman or big man, they can justify it.

Does it still sound like we're delusional? And this is from ESPN, many more mock site say the same thing.
alphad0gz
Analyst
And1: 405

Can't see Rubio here 

Post#17 » by alphad0gz » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:24 pm

I want him here but I don't see it unless his people and the Knicks want it. NY has been strangely quiet (which could be good) and Rubio has been willing to talk to other teams (which is not). This kid is likely to grow to 6'5+ in shoes which brings me to my dream scenario. We use our pick to move up high enough to pick him(which could be Memphis) AND find a way to get #5 from Washington. This is where a lot of people are going to disagree. I would take Curry if available. Curry is already pushing 6'4 and his growth plates remain open. He most certainly will grow some. The question is how much? Those two could develop into the best back court tandem in the league. Rubio is a very good defender and Curry is a smart, willing defender. Curry can handle, pass, and shoot lights out. Rubio can lead, distribute on a level most can't and will likely develop a decent outside shot. IMO, Curry, Rubio, and Gallo would be an amazing core.

At this point, I would build the team as if Lebron/Wade are not coming. Very good players can always be traded but building a team with a glaring hole with the hope that you can fill it is nuts. We would still have all the money for '10 and '11. Amare' in '10 and 'melo in '11? The cap will give us flexibility beyond just signing FAs.

If we can make the above deals we could end up with:
Rubio
Curry
'melo?
Gallo
Gortat

That team ends up better than any team if the bench is filled out right.
TdoubleE
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by TdoubleE » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:36 pm

A Curry and Rubio backcourt sounds like a Heinrich / Gordon backcourt. Not sure I like that idea, esp on defense...

Return to New York Knicks