ImageImageImageImage

Cavaliers vs Magic Series General Discussion Thread

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,261

Re: Cavaliers vs Magic Series General Discussion Thread 

Post#521 » by Optimus_Steel » Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:12 am

fendilim wrote:
Skybox wrote:Just bought a carton of milk and it had Joe Ingles picture on it

j :P ...but where is he? I would have thought his vet presence would have been deemed valuable in the playoffs with this young team

Veterans dont necessarily have to play. Having a veteran presence in the locker room is crucial.

Thus teams like the Heat were willing to sign Haslen until forever.

Uncle Joe is a de facto player coach.
aka: prorl
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,116

Post#522 » by KillMonger » Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:34 am

Edit
Message Boar
Analyst
And1: 1,875

Post#523 » by Message Boar » Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:18 am

Read on Twitter

Kind of amazed how we're doing this without a rim protector in starting lineup, to be honest.

Also, it's nice to get props from national media members, some of them still think we suck (but that's just offensively).
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,188

Post#524 » by zaymon » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:02 am

Optimus_Steel wrote:
SOUL wrote:

10:30 in this from Cavs beat writer:

"Darius Garland and Jalen Suggs are chest-to-chest, face-to-face, nose-to-nose. And when Jalen Suggs went back to the bench, he said to a bunch of his teammates, "What did I tell you? What did I tell you? What did I tell you?" Like, he sensed something from the Cavs, that they were about to teeter, that they were about to fracture, and that's exactly what happened. He was the final person to push them over the edge."

There is lots of blood in the water and the Magic are circling…

There is difference between player and competitor. Players come to play, competitors come to fight. Cavs are not prepared for a fight. Its like you come to a bar to drink one margarita and you get knocked be a chair flying through the window.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
GelbeWand09
Rookie
And1: 1,443

Post#525 » by GelbeWand09 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:28 am

Read on Twitter
GelbeWand09
Rookie
And1: 1,443

Post#526 » by GelbeWand09 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:32 am

eyriq wrote:
Read on Twitter
?t=kLe7wlpAs8A8VdBzyeg9ow&s=19

He was 32 in EPM this year while shooting 28% from 3. If his 3 is back, top 25 next year should be realistic.
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,531

Post#527 » by jezzerinho » Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:47 am

This is becoming a fascinating matchup.

Technically elite but mentally suspect team versus mentally elite but technically suspect team.

That's not to say Cle isn't capable of being mentally tough or Orl doesn't have the ability to be tactically and technically great.

But right now the story is of a team who starts games taking advantage of the other's tactical naivete but ends them going away from what worked, because their opponent hustled them into it.

Cleveland, if they don't allow Orl into their heads, probably can still win this series with their better pnr game.

But I think Orlando has them so rattled they may never be able to sustain what works.

I heard Cle commentators in the home games comment how the Cavs work better when they push the pace. I think that's nonsense. They suit a halfcourt O where they work Allen open and get their shooters good looks.

Orl has looked better when stretching the game. Just driving at the paint and getting a mentally fragile Cavs on their heels and feeling the Magic are an unstoppable wave.

Can the Magic get those "unstoppable" juices flowing when away from home? I'm not sure, it's happened a few times in the season and they're growing all the time. My feeling is they don't have to reach massive heights of intensity for Cleveland to go into their shells. Cavs are ripe for collapsing, imo.
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,400

Post#528 » by tooler » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:09 pm

Residual-Heat wrote:The stretch that turned the game around.

The question for me is whether they can do a stretch like that in Cleveland.

Maybe they don’t have to. They’re allowed to win a close game too.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,158

Post#529 » by tiderulz » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:21 pm

tooler wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:The stretch that turned the game around.

The question for me is whether they can do a stretch like that in Cleveland.

Maybe they don’t have to. They’re allowed to win a close game too.

Magic were 18-23 on the road. That is not a bad record, especially for a young team. they are capable of winning road games.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,741

Post#530 » by Skybox » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:15 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:
fendilim wrote:
Skybox wrote:Just bought a carton of milk and it had Joe Ingles picture on it

j :P ...but where is he? I would have thought his vet presence would have been deemed valuable in the playoffs with this young team

Veterans dont necessarily have to play. Having a veteran presence in the locker room is crucial.

Thus teams like the Heat were willing to sign Haslen until forever.

Uncle Joe is a de facto player coach.

I'm honestly happy to have him in that role, but I wish it were at a more appropriate vet minimum deal next year - instead of his Team Option $11m. Highest paid coach in the league.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,741

Post#531 » by Skybox » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:20 pm

jezzerinho wrote:This is becoming a fascinating matchup.

Technically elite but mentally suspect team versus mentally elite but technically suspect team.

That's not to say Cle isn't capable of being mentally tough or Orl doesn't have the ability to be tactically and technically great.

But right now the story is of a team who starts games taking advantage of the other's tactical naivete but ends them going away from what worked, because their opponent hustled them into it.

Cleveland, if they don't allow Orl into their heads, probably can still win this series with their better pnr game.

But I think Orlando has them so rattled they may never be able to sustain what works.

I heard Cle commentators in the home games comment how the Cavs work better when they push the pace. I think that's nonsense. They suit a halfcourt O where they work Allen open and get their shooters good looks.

Orl has looked better when stretching the game. Just driving at the paint and getting a mentally fragile Cavs on their heels and feeling the Magic are an unstoppable wave.

Can the Magic get those "unstoppable" juices flowing when away from home? I'm not sure, it's happened a few times in the season and they're growing all the time. My feeling is they don't have to reach massive heights of intensity for Cleveland to go into their shells. Cavs are ripe for collapsing, imo.

Agreed...but as long as Mitchell is out there, CLE is in it. He is, historically, as tough as nails and can duel with anyone in a playoff shootout. ORL has done an amazing job with him...I think it's imperative to ramp it up even more in CLE to let him know what's up before he gets himself going...We want his bruised up ass on the bench, thinking about where he wants to be traded :lol:

There's always talk about the refs killing us...no way can we ignore the fact that "letting them play" favors our style, so it's pretty clear that ORL is being allowed to play the physical defense that got them this far.
The-Stallion70
Bench Warmer
And1: 419

Post#532 » by The-Stallion70 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:34 pm

For us to win by 61 points combined in two games in a row at home is honestly perplexing. It makes you wonder how we not only lost the first two games but also how we lost by double digits.

Homecourt advantage is a factor. Is it that strong of a factor? To turn double digit losses into huge blowout wins? The Magic had a better record on the road than at home when they went to the Finals in 2009.

It's like our young team is still figuring out what they are capable of, like we never should have been down to this team in the first place or something. Like, they unlocking super saiyan for the first time or some ****.
thelead wrote:I have a memory like an elephant.
jezzerinho
Starter

Post#533 » by jezzerinho » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:38 pm

Skybox wrote:
jezzerinho wrote:This is becoming a fascinating matchup.

Agreed...but as long as Mitchell is out there, CLE is in it. He is, historically, as tough as nails and can duel with anyone in a playoff shootout. ORL has done an amazing job with him...I think it's imperative to ramp it up even more in CLE to let him know what's up before he gets himself going...We want his bruised up ass on the bench, thinking about where he wants to be traded :lol:

There's always talk about the refs killing us...no way can we ignore the fact that "letting them play" favors our style, so it's pretty clear that ORL is being allowed to play the physical defense that got them this far.

Mitchell had a stellar first half, but when Cleveland needed him most to right the fast-listing ship, he laid an absolute turkey. Something like 0 points and 4 turnovers in the second half. I wonder if him collapsing like that isn't his frustration with his teammates...?

I wonder will Cleveland try to get an early lead again, but this time bring on Morris, Okoro and TT to try to hold onto the lead and grind it out?
jezzerinho
Starter

Post#534 » by jezzerinho » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:43 pm

The-Stallion70 wrote:For us to win by 61 points combined in two games in a row at home is honestly perplexing. It makes you wonder how we not only lost the first two games but also how we lost by double digits.

Homecourt advantage is a factor. Is it that strong of a factor? To turn double digit losses into huge blowout wins? The Magic had a better record on the road than at home when they went to the Finals in 2009.

It's like our young team is still figuring out what they are capable of, like we never should have been down to this team in the first place or something. Like, they unlocking super saiyan for the first time or some ****.

First ever playoff experience for most of them. They want to win so badly, they just came out super tight and not enjoying themselves.

I don't see their next showing in Cleveland being anywhere near as bad. They've loosened up now and the pressure is back on Cleveland.
The-Stallion70
Bench Warmer
And1: 419

Post#535 » by The-Stallion70 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:29 pm

jezzerinho wrote:
The-Stallion70 wrote:For us to win by 61 points combined in two games in a row at home is honestly perplexing. It makes you wonder how we not only lost the first two games but also how we lost by double digits.

First ever playoff experience for most of them. They want to win so badly, they just came out super tight and not enjoying themselves.

I don't see their next showing in Cleveland being anywhere near as bad. They've loosened up now and the pressure is back on Cleveland.

To win by 30+ tho?

That is the data point that I find surprising.

It is the first ever playoff experience for everyone on the team but Gary and Ingles. I don't think you can just chalk it up to nerves, i definitely believe you are oversimplifying it, there were quite a few adjustments made by both the coach and the players individually.
thelead wrote:I have a memory like an elephant.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,521

Post#536 » by eyriq » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:36 pm

Garland/Mitchell/Strus/Mobley/Allen
62 minutes
98.4 offensive rating
109.2 defensive rating
-10.8 net rating

Suggs/Harris/Franz/Paolo/WCJ
52 minutes
117.1 offensive rating
95.4 defensive rating
21.8 net rating
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,926

Post#537 » by thelead » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:14 pm

Just 4 games but Franz' splits are 51/39/81 while being aggressive and not hesitating from deep. Brings a smile to face.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,521

Post#538 » by eyriq » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:22 pm

thelead wrote:Just 4 games but Franz' splits are 51/39/81 while being aggressive and not hesitating from deep. Brings a smile to face.
Yeah, that three is BACK
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,103

Post#539 » by Residual-Heat » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:32 pm

Franz with a career high of 13 rebounds yesterday.
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,197

Post#540 » by rcklsscognition » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:33 pm

Trying to think what the Cavs adjustment is in game 5 or maybe they don’t try one and just see if home court can fix their problems.

I might ditch Nieng and go with Morris and Merrill instead.

We seem to have figured the rebounding issue out. We still occasionally have issues with Franz winding up on Allen on switches. I would be focusing on making that happen if I was Cleveland, but Mosley seems to have noticed this problem and is getting Wendell to switch out with Franz in these situations.

We need to focus on pick and roll defense. If we can continue to control that we should have a good chance.

Return to Orlando Magic