ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,903

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0 

Post#1121 » by basketballRob » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:55 pm

three3d wrote:
eyriq wrote:
three3d wrote:OKC and Orlando are perfect trade partners. Two of the youngest teams in the NBA and on opposite ends of the spectrum. The Thunder being the #1 seed in the tough Western conference are in the window of opportunity, and I feel we are still 4-5 years away.

We are loaded with future draft picks and OKC values draft picks and they really do a great job with them. What would we lose and gain in a Giddey - Anthony Black swap? Now throw Jonathan Issac into a deal with them + draft picks and what else could we get in return from OKC? The Thunder are getting arguably one of the best defensive players to immediately help them + AB who for a rookie definitely showed defensive capability BUT needs development.

In two seasons could AB possibly be an offensive threat, could he be our own version of Giddey as the connector piece he was drafted to be? The timeline and available assets just make to much sense between these two clubs. Comes down to what 2/3 players could we get from OKC to help us when we enter the window of opportunity .
AB clears Giddey.

As of right now I don’t see how AB clears Giddey because we simply haven’t seen him used enough. Ultimately I’m going to want to see AB utilized in some pick and roll action with the ability to dish out some assists or be a threat to drive to the basket. Maybe that will come in the future and maybe he will not ever be able to do that. Going back to college AB was never a high assist guy though. Giddey can mess around and get you a triple double still playing behind SGA.

Then you factor in guys like Jalen Williams 23 years old 19ppg and 42% 3 point field goal percentage, Isaiah Joe 24 years old 8ppg on 41% 3pt fg% on the bench, or Cason Wallace 20 years old 6.8 ppg and almost 42% 3pt fg%. They have a lot of young assets besides Giddey we could definitely use here. Could you imagine the Thunder rolling out with Chet AND Isaac? There are a lot of swappable pieces between these two teams that help both sides.
If Giddey can't guard guards, he isn't a guard. That's just like Ben Simmons was a power forward. The Magic have 3 forwards.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,903

Post#1122 » by basketballRob » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:59 pm

Lou Dort and SGA guard guards in the start
ing lineup. They can list Giddey as an SG, but he isn't chasing around a 6'4" guard.

Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,769

Post#1123 » by Skybox » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:01 pm

Knightro wrote:
three3d wrote:
Knightro wrote:Trading Isaac is incredibly difficult. His injury history is so expansive that it's impossible to get fair value in return.

He's more valuable to the Magic even playing 15-20 MPG than what they'd get back for him.

I think it's a near certainty he's back next season.

If you were OKC would you consider a guy like Cason Wallace and or Jalen Williams for Isaac?

Jalen Williams obviously not. He's going to be a top 20 NBA player in short order.

I wouldn't trade Isaac for Cason Wallace if I were the Magic. Wallace is a nice prospect, but the Magic already have multiple young guards that are going to need playing time to develop. Adding another one to the mix doesn't make much sense to me.

If they're going to be adding a guard, it needs to be someone much more established and can step in to a big role without the growing pains of a young player.

No doubt meant the "other" Jaylen Williams...I love Cason Wallace and he'd be ours in my '23 redraft...fierce defender who can shoot 3's and legit PG out of Kentucky...may not be a "real" full-time NBA starting PG, but would probably slot right next to Suggs very nicely...having said that, even with injury history, I wouldn't send JI straight up...WCJ for Cason & Other JW, I would do and I think WCJ would be really good in OKC...he's beefier than Chet (and JI), can hit 3's, etc. Jaylin Williams would be fine as a backup C to Claxton, for example, if we signed him...no significant value on his own.

JI is a DPOY candidate if he stays healthy enough to get the minutes...but another factor might be his upcoming deal...He might be up for big bucks right as Franz and Suggs' extensions hit and Paolo's Max is being signed...IF FO/ownership decided they can't really pay 5 guys over $20-40m (the "fifth" being an as yet unnamed scoring guard), Isaac (due to his injury history and position) could be the odd man out. There's an argument for selling him when he's healthy, before the next deal is upon us. Even with protections, it's going to be for a lot of money...he's worth a whole lot more than $17m if he's not an injury concern.

I still wouldn't move him for Cason...but there's a conversation.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,655

Post#1124 » by Skin » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:03 pm

Magic are proving to be an attractive FA destination, and if they attack it right, they could get lucky.

If they wanted Tyus Jones, I think that would be an easy slam dunk, and if they got him early, that could really entice someone like Paul George to come.

Tyus Jones / Paul George / Franz Wagner / Paolo Banchero / Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black / Jalen Suggs / Jett Howard / Jonathan Isaac / Mo Wagner

That's a team that competes with Boston.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#1125 » by Skybox » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:12 pm

basketballRob wrote:Lou Dort and SGA guard guards in the start
ing lineup. They can list Giddey as an SG, but he isn't chasing around a 6'4" guard.

Nice player. All charges dropped. Young & long...but not right for us, imo. I'd rather have Cason Wallace.

Just thinking that if we knew we had Claxton as a FA signing...I'd offer WCJ for Wallace and Jaylin Williams (not the great one-the backup C). Wallace is ahead of Black at this point as a PG and defends & shoots 3's very well too. Black would still be an excellent versatile defender at various positions, off the bench. Honestly, they could duke it out for the starting PG spot if Eyriq is able to speak AB's summer rebirth as an NBA PG into existence.

I also think that's pretty good for OKC.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,790

Post#1126 » by Knightro » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:19 pm

Skin wrote:Magic are proving to be an attractive FA destination, and if they attack it right, they could get lucky.

If they wanted Tyus Jones, I think that would be an easy slam dunk, and if they got him early, that could really entice someone like Paul George to come.

Paul George wants a full max. Are you willing to give a guy who turns 34 years old in three days a 4 year, 212.2M deal?

That would shake out like this....

Year 1, Age 34: $49,350,000
Year 2, Age 35: $51,817,500 (Franz and Suggs extensions kicked in)
Year 3, Age 36: $54,285,000 (Paolo extension kicked in)
Year 4, Age 37: $56,752,500
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,228

Post#1127 » by cedric76 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:10 pm

Knightro wrote:
Skin wrote:Magic are proving to be an attractive FA destination, and if they attack it right, they could get lucky.

Paul George wants a full max. Are you willing to give a guy who turns 34 years old in three days a 4 year, 212.2M deal?

That would shake out like this....

Year 1, Age 34: $49,350,000
Year 2, Age 35: $51,817,500 (Franz and Suggs extensions kicked in)
Year 3, Age 36: $54,285,000 (Paolo extension kicked in)
Year 4, Age 37: $56,752,500

Yes, if you think he is the missing piece

1st, you LL be in the luxury tax only 2 yrs, not the end of the world after saving money for the past 10 yrs

2nd, you d front load that contract so, you r not that much above the apron

3rd, if you go after pg13, you can't get Tyus (we don't need him anyway) and you need to let Joe+chuma+Harris go and trade away Cole

Suggs, AB
Pg13, Jett
Franz, Houstan
Paolo, Moe
Wcj, JI

Would be such a sexy team BUT I m sure weham will deliver an even better team

I have HIGH hope on Jett
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,790

Post#1128 » by Knightro » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:41 pm

cedric76 wrote:Yes, if you think he is the missing piece

1st, you LL be in the luxury tax only 2 yrs, not the end of the world after saving money for the past 10 yrs

3rd, if you go after pg13, you can't get Tyus (we don't need him anyway) and you need to let Joe+chuma+Harris go and trade away Cole

Suggs, AB
Pg13, Jett
Franz, Houstan
Paolo, Moe
Wcj, JI

I have HIGH hope on Jett

Paul George had a great season this year.

I think he has a chance to make the All-NBA third team. He's clearly one of the 20 best players in the league and right on the cusp of being one of the 10-15 best guys to this day.

But you'd have to be absolutely certain that any player you're adding for 53M AAV makes you a full blown NBA title contender. Not just a team capable of winning a round.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#1129 » by Skybox » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:48 pm

Knightro wrote:

Suggs, AB
Pg13, Jett
Franz, Houstan
Paolo, Moe
Wcj, JI

I have HIGH hope on Jett

I think he has a chance to make the All-NBA third team. He's clearly one of the 20 best players in the league and right on the cusp of being one of the 10-15 best guys to this day.

But you'd have to be absolutely certain that any player you're adding for 53M AAV makes you a full blown NBA title contender. Not just a team capable of winning a round.

I don't get the whole..."You only have to pay him for 2 years" thing, unless you're talking about a relatively inexpensive placeholder upgrade like Brogdon. How about we look at guys we'll want to keep around. The Weham comment LOL...I wish I had that kind of blind faith...it would make rooting, voting etc a snap.

Some of the same fans saying "we're 5 years away from contending" :noway:
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,228

Post#1130 » by cedric76 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:16 pm

Skybox wrote:
Knightro wrote:

Suggs, AB
Pg13, Jett
Franz, Houstan
Paolo, Moe
Wcj, JI

I have HIGH hope on Jett

I don't get the whole..."You only have to pay him for 2 years" thing, unless you're talking about a relatively inexpensive placeholder upgrade like Brogdon. How about we look at guys we'll want to keep around. The Weham comment LOL...I wish I had that kind of blind faith...it would make rooting, voting etc a snap.

You lost me, not sure what you r talking about
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
three3d
Junior
And1: 64

Post#1131 » by three3d » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:26 pm

Skybox wrote:
Knightro wrote:

Suggs, AB
Pg13, Jett
Franz, Houstan
Paolo, Moe
Wcj, JI

I have HIGH hope on Jett

Yea 5 years away from being in the contention window. You don’t agree? Not 5 from winning the championship, 5 away from having the chance and players being ready.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,201

Post#1132 » by MagicMatic » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:33 pm

Here’s a trade idea…

Orlando sends:

Wendell Carter Jr
Jett Howard
2025 Denver pick.

To Charlotte for:

Mark Williams
Tre Mann
Davis Bertans

Why for Orlando?

They let Fultz walk and add Mann. He’s able to hit shots and run the point guard spot until Black can. Mark Williams is a solid defensive Center that has experience playing with Paolo. He’s the prize in this trade. You aren’t getting a better Center in this draft. Davis Bertans will be expiring and is solid vet depth off the bench that can stretch the floor for a season. Orlando doesn’t need to get younger with another pick via Denver in 2025 draft. This team can decide whether or not they want to resign Mann and Bertans after a season. Magic are in the playoffs now. I don’t see Jett joining the starting lineup for at least 2 seasons.

Why for Charlotte?

Carter gets them more experience on a decent value contract. Jett Howard gives them another option to stretch the floor and can potentially start at SG next to Ball and Miller. Another first round pick with potentially a top 2024 3-5 pick is a good spot to rebuild around their core. They aren’t potentially in the playoffs for at least another season.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#1133 » by Skybox » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:13 pm

Here's something...IF he could be had for a VET MIN (or close) UFA deal - maybe 1+1...who'd be a better 3rd string (with an opportunity to rise if he actually busts his ass) Center than ....(drumroll)

MO BAMBA

I know. I know. He's was a disappointment, but in limited minutes, he still provides a really interesting fit. Keep it simple, block shots, rebound, set a pick, block more shots, hit all of the open 3's you like on the other end. He's not a guy you can bet on (we saw that), but on a make-good, no risk deal? The Mo Bamba we thought we were drafting would be an amazing fit between Paolo & Franz...he' s a little older, a little swoler, a little more desperate or regretful maybe. The skill package and length are undeniable...maybe Mose could reach him-Clifford didn't exactly try....Before you lose your minds, I'm talking about a very limited role with upside.

If Mosely just rolled his eyes and said "Haaaayalll Noooo", then fine, but I wonder if he'd like a longer look, with no risk or obligation.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#1134 » by Skybox » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:29 pm

I really think DLo's performance tonight (as the Lakers get bounced out of the playoffs) could be the difference between $22m+ and 15m or even MLE next year...he does have a one-year option for around 18.5, but is expected to opt out...the way he smells right now, he should probably opt in and hope for a one-year personal rebrand (again)...but, if he goes off (even in a loss), he could fool some cap space teams into giving him the bag.
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 714

Post#1135 » by RichCollab » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:34 pm

Zero chance I’m starting Tyus over Suggs.
Zero chance Suggs doesn’t have a starting role locked down for next season.
RichCollab
Starter

Post#1136 » by RichCollab » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:37 pm

Skybox wrote:Here's something...IF he could be had for a VET MIN (or close) UFA deal - maybe 1+1...who'd be a better 3rd string (with an opportunity to rise if he actually busts his ass) Center than ....(drumroll)

MO BAMBA

I know. I know. He's was a disappointment, but in limited minutes, he still provides a really interesting fit. Keep it simple, block shots, rebound, set a pick, block more shots, hit all of the open 3's you like on the other end. He's not a guy you can bet on (we saw that), but on a make-good, no risk deal? The Mo Bamba we thought we were drafting would be an amazing fit between Paolo & Franz...he' s a little older, a little swoler, a little more desperate or regretful maybe. The skill package and length are undeniable...maybe Mose could reach him-Clifford didn't exactly try....Before you lose your minds, I'm talking about a very limited role with upside.

If Mosely just rolled his eyes and said "Haaaayalll Noooo", then fine, but I wonder if he'd like a longer look, with no risk or obligation.

Draft a center or resign Goga. Hell no to Bamba.
RichCollab
Starter

Post#1137 » by RichCollab » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:39 pm

It must be the time of the season where we throw anything and everything at the wall to see if it takes.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,201

Post#1138 » by MagicMatic » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:52 pm

RichCollab wrote:

Zero chance I’m starting Tyus over Suggs.
Zero chance Suggs doesn’t have a starting role locked down for next season.

Yeah… Suggs isn’t going from starting in the playoffs, shutting down Donovan Mitchell, to coming off the bench. :lol:

If anything, he’s still starting at SG and Tyus takes Gary’s spot at point guard. Paul George is never stepping foot in Orlando he’s 35 and wants a championship. Not a fun team that gets to the second round while making max money.
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,540

Post#1139 » by jezzerinho » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:12 pm

MagicMatic wrote:Here’s a trade idea…

Orlando sends:

Wendell Carter Jr
Jett Howard
2025 Denver pick.

To Charlotte for:

Mark Williams
Tre Mann
Davis Bertans

Why for Orlando?

They let Fultz walk and add Mann. He’s able to hit shots and run the point guard spot until Black can. Mark Williams is a solid defensive Center that has experience playing with Paolo. He’s the prize in this trade. You aren’t getting a better Center in this draft. Davis Bertans will be expiring and is solid vet depth off the bench that can stretch the floor for a season. Orlando doesn’t need to get younger with another pick via Denver in 2025 draft. This team can decide whether or not they want to resign Mann and Bertans after a season. Magic are in the playoffs now. I don’t see Jett joining the starting lineup for at least 2 seasons.

Why for Charlotte?

Carter gets them more experience on a decent value contract. Jett Howard gives them another option to stretch the floor and can potentially start at SG next to Ball and Miller. Another first round pick with potentially a top 2024 3-5 pick is a good spot to rebuild around their core. They aren’t potentially in the playoffs for at least another season.

Freaky. I was debating a very similar trade in my head only today!
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,546

Post#1140 » by eyriq » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:22 pm

MagicMatic wrote:Here’s a trade idea…

Orlando sends:

Wendell Carter Jr
Jett Howard
2025 Denver pick.

To Charlotte for:

Mark Williams
Tre Mann
Davis Bertans

Why for Orlando?

Why for Charlotte?

Mark Williams is an amazing target

Return to Orlando Magic