ImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA Playoffs Round 1 Game 7: (5) Orlando Magic at (4) Cleveland Cavaliers - Series Tied 3-3

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,589

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs Round 1 Game 7: (5) Orlando Magic at (4) Cleveland Cavaliers - Series Tied 3-3 

Post#1281 » by eyriq » Sun May 5, 2024 8:38 pm

Worst FG% on high volume in game 7 history is an insight I could live without.

Speaks to how great this team is, though. We were firmly in the game, never letting go of the rope, despite historically poor shooting from Franz, with Suggs close behind.

Honestly, having clarity on our pecking order can be a good thing going forward. Franz will continue to be an advanced stats darling because he is an elite defender with a hyper efficient and effective offensive game.

If he would have balled out in game 7, he'd go from his top 20 trajectory into a top 10 trajectory. That's how difficult it is to have great performances in a game 7.

I have zero doubts that he's our second option.

For Suggs, I'm still not convinced he's third option material, but I think he's done enough to warrant the reps. While the core is still on their rookie scale contracts we are still focused on player development.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,135

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs Round 1 Game 7: (5) Orlando Magic at (4) Cleveland Cavaliers - Series Tied 3-3 

Post#1282 » by KillMonger » Sun May 5, 2024 8:38 pm

Proud of these young men with what they achieved dispite everyone thinking we were going to be a lottery team again or a play in team.... We're ahead of schedule..... NOW it's on YOU front office, we got some juice now let's do something with it...some tough decisions will need to be made but there should be expectations now

Sent from my [Hands] using RealGM mobile app
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 726

Post#1283 » by RichCollab » Sun May 5, 2024 8:39 pm

thelead wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
thelead wrote:I don’t think that’s even in the world of possibilities but I also don’t think that his contract should even be close to that. Herb Jones’ contract should be the starting point of negotiations IMO.

What did Herb get? And What did Marcus Smart get? I always thought Smart and Suggs were similar players.

And in terms of roles, I really feel like what AG is to Denver is what Suggs is to Orlando. In the ideal world the 4th or 5th option offensively but best player defensively.

4/54

That's obviously lower than what he'll get but that should be the starting point IMO. He's worth more to us than Herb is worth to NO but that what the negotiations should be about. Herb is an all-NBA caliber defender as well who shoot 42% from 3 this season. I think Suggs has more potential but you can't overspend on potential.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10081320-herb-jones-pelicans-agree-to-4-year-54m-contract-after-team-option-was-declined

Suggs getting some where in the neighborhood 4 / 80 million.
ogmagicfan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,770

Post#1284 » by ogmagicfan » Sun May 5, 2024 8:41 pm

The Cavs did a great job neutralizing Isaac the whole series

I also wish we ramped up Isaac for more minutes as the season progressed, because you could tell the mins were taking a toll on him as the series progressed

He'll be more suited to contribute in the same min breakdown next year when in the playoffs
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 38,112

Post#1285 » by SOUL » Sun May 5, 2024 8:41 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
Fortune Teller wrote:I can’t believe we went into this season with no real PG and a starting shooting guard who literally doesn’t shoot. It’s shocking they made it this far but if you keep running this nonsense back Paolo will bolt.

What’s with all these Suggs takes. The guy is 22 and in the top 2% of defensive players that increased his shooting % this season tremendously. People only say this **** coming off a bad game and are eerily quiet after a game 2 days ago. You are right about the PG situation.

Isn't this about Harris?
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,050

Post#1286 » by fendilim » Sun May 5, 2024 8:42 pm

thelead wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
thelead wrote:I don’t think that’s even in the world of possibilities but I also don’t think that his contract should even be close to that. Herb Jones’ contract should be the starting point of negotiations IMO.

What did Herb get? And What did Marcus Smart get? I always thought Smart and Suggs were similar players.

And in terms of roles, I really feel like what AG is to Denver is what Suggs is to Orlando. In the ideal world the 4th or 5th option offensively but best player defensively.

4/54

That's obviously lower than what he'll get but that should be the starting point IMO. He's worth more to us than Herb is worth to NO but that what the negotiations should be about. Herb is an all-NBA caliber defender as well who shot 42% from 3 this season. I think Suggs has more potential but you can't overspend on potential.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10081320-herb-jones-pelicans-agree-to-4-year-54m-contract-after-team-option-was-declined

Suggs will likely get around 20million. That’s the same % of cap space marcus Smart got when translated to then and now.

Suggs is a lot better than herb.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,972

Post#1287 » by thelead » Sun May 5, 2024 8:42 pm

RichCollab wrote:
thelead wrote:
Rainwater wrote:

4/54

That's obviously lower than what he'll get but that should be the starting point IMO. He's worth more to us than Herb is worth to NO but that what the negotiations should be about. Herb is an all-NBA caliber defender as well who shoot 42% from 3 this season. I think Suggs has more potential but you can't overspend on potential.

That would be great... I would love 5/100 even more though. Lock him up for as long as possible.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,456

Post#1288 » by PrimeThyme » Sun May 5, 2024 8:42 pm

RichCollab wrote:He is 22. We have a long ways to go to even compete for a championship. Franz is critical member of our core.

Franz is going into his fourth year. It sounds better when you say he's just 22, but he will be getting a monster contract and entering his fourth season in the NBA.

Also, these things are fleeting. Every veteran in the NBA talks about when they are at this stage in their careers, everything like playoff appearances and championship contending seems like it will last forever, but it doesn't. Injuries happen, trades happen, and the game changes.

You have to capitalize when you have the chance.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,135

Post#1289 » by KillMonger » Sun May 5, 2024 8:42 pm

Another good thing is paolo is who we thought he is.... Scary that there is so much he can improve with his game and his body......can't wait to see it

Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 5,071

Post#1290 » by Ducklett » Sun May 5, 2024 8:43 pm

thelead wrote:
RichCollab wrote:
thelead wrote:4/54

That would be great... I would love 5/100 even more though. Lock him up for as long as possible.

Do Rookie extensions come in 5 year varieties? Will all the weird cap changes I have no idea.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 38,112

Post#1291 » by SOUL » Sun May 5, 2024 8:43 pm

Someone like Bane would be perfect for this team. Unfortunately Memphis has him :lol: :x
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,282

Post#1292 » by Optimus_Steel » Sun May 5, 2024 8:43 pm

OrlandoNed wrote:
PrimeThyme wrote:Listen, I'm not going to go too far with the Franz stuff and suggest he's not a core piece now. But if you're not seriously questioning whether he is a second or third option after this series, I don't know what to tell you.

He shot 19% from three after the All-Star break. We saw an entire year of a different player, this was not a one-off series.

Solely banking on internal development and Franz working on his shot all summer when he will be giving his best basketball to his national team again would be a disastrous bet for Weltman this summer. We've got to be strategically aggressive to improve.

He proved today that he is nowhere close to Paolo’s level. He and Suggs showed that they might be better off as 4th and 5th options.

And game 4 and 6? Come on man.
aka: prorl
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,589

Post#1293 » by eyriq » Sun May 5, 2024 8:44 pm

Oh I'm also in agreement with Pepe. Isaac was a huge disappointment. It's almost like he gets cult status, similar to Fultz. We spend all this time managing his minutes and ramping him up slowly to finally unleash him and he lets out a big hollow fart.

My hottest take? Jonathan Isaac should be on the trade market. He's the ultimate sell high candidate.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,572

Post#1294 » by ibraheim718 » Sun May 5, 2024 8:44 pm

KillMonger wrote:Another good thing is paolo is who we thought he is.... Scary that there is so much he can improve with his game and his body......can't wait to see it

His lesson for today is his 1st quarter needs to be his 4th quarter. Quarters 1-3 should be making sure his teammates get in a groove.
ogmagicfan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,770

Post#1295 » by ogmagicfan » Sun May 5, 2024 8:45 pm

Once again I'm fully convinced that Jarrett Allen injury helped the Cavs

Their offense was disgusting even though Jarrett Allen was eating on dump offs

The spacing did wonders for their dribble penetration
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,972

Post#1296 » by thelead » Sun May 5, 2024 8:45 pm

Ducklett wrote:
thelead wrote:
RichCollab wrote:

Do Rookie extensions come in 5 year varieties? Will all the weird cap changes I have no idea.

I'm not even sure what is possible with all the changes the NBA loves to implement every few years :lol: I'm pretty sure they are but not sure if you can hand out 3 5-year deals or if you're limited to one or two of those contracts... etc.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,299

Post#1297 » by MagicMatic » Sun May 5, 2024 8:45 pm

SOUL wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
Fortune Teller wrote:I can’t believe we went into this season with no real PG and a starting shooting guard who literally doesn’t shoot. It’s shocking they made it this far but if you keep running this nonsense back Paolo will bolt.

What’s with all these Suggs takes. The guy is 22 and in the top 2% of defensive players that increased his shooting % this season tremendously. People only say this **** coming off a bad game and are eerily quiet after a game 2 days ago. You are right about the PG situation.

Isn't this about Harris?

Suggs started all season. Harris filled in at PG. Orlando has no point guard.

Idk. I feel for Franz though. He needs to work on his shot for sure this offseason.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,409

Post#1298 » by pepe1991 » Sun May 5, 2024 8:45 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:Franz sucked tonight, sucked. Him and Garland were unwatchable.

That said, to me, biggest dissapointment is Isaac. He is guy people here throw in random "DPOY " conversations, and in reality he just guy who plays harder than rest of players play in regular season, and has no second gear to kick in playoffs.

Happend vs Raptors, happend again. Has no offense, smart teams still know how to avoid him in pick&roll and Allen and Mobley simply outclassed him. Especially Mobley, given Allen didn't play in last 3 games ( after averaging 17-14 on 68% FG in first 4 games ).

Thing is, we rely heavily on our bench in regular season, and those role players play better at home, and that's pretty much how playoffs played out, we won at home ,lost on a road.

And lastly , congratulations to Cavs, Mitchell is incredible. Fact he went to talk to Garland, who looked like guy on verge of quitting basketball at half, says a lot about Mitchell as both teammate and person.
This is first Cavs Lebronless playoff series win in past 30 years.

Bro Isaac is not what's swinging this series. Franz going 1-15 in a closeout game and shooting under 30% from 3 for the series, like he did for an entire season is what swings a series.

Highest payed player on a roster is being babied whole year ( several years in fact) just to be "fresh" for playoffs, to play 21 min and average 5 points ,4 rebounds and 1 block?
And his "out of a world defense" turned into him struggling to stay in front of Levert and being dwarfed by Allen ?

Franz had terrible game, Isaac looks like irrelevant role player each and every game. Again, as player who didn't play back to backs, who had scheduled rest games in his schedule, who people here claim is "best defender in nba".

In two elimination games he scores 2 points, 0 steals 1 block.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,572

Post#1299 » by ibraheim718 » Sun May 5, 2024 8:45 pm

eyriq wrote:Oh I'm also in agreement with Pepe. Isaac was a huge disappointment. It's almost like he gets cult status, similar to Fultz. We spend all this time managing his minutes and ramping him up slowly to finally unleash him and he lets out a big hollow fart.

My hottest take? Jonathan. Isaac should be on the trade market. He's the ultimate sell high candidate.

I don't think he was put in the best position chasing on the perimeter so much. It took him completely away from protecting the rim. That was the issue.
I Rasharted
Sixth Man
And1: 855

Post#1300 » by I Rasharted » Sun May 5, 2024 8:46 pm

KillMonger wrote:Another good thing is paolo is who we thought he is.... Scary that there is so much he can improve with his game and his body......can't wait to see it

This is the real #1 takeaway and the only one that really matters.
basketballRob wrote:Another good benefit about eating plants is that the artery going to your penis gets unclogged and starts flowing real good.

Return to Orlando Magic