ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,931

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0 

Post#1721 » by basketballRob » Mon May 6, 2024 5:55 pm

Free agents in 2025. Markkanen, Butler, Brunson, Tatum, White, and Mitchell.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,110

Post#1722 » by bigdogdylan5 » Mon May 6, 2024 6:07 pm

basketballRob wrote:
sebaloz wrote:
bigdogdylan5 wrote:That math still doesn’t work. That would bring us around 110 in salary and cap holds renouncing everyone not named Franz. Would get us about 40 million in cap so not enough for a full max. That is best case for Suggs and Isaac you laid out. Looks like we would have to hold any extension for Franz and renounce Isaac and everyone to get a full max for 2025.

Suggs' cap hold is $27m. Suggs+Wagner=$48m. We can sing free agent to a contract with a max first-year salary $54,288,500 (0.35 * $155,1m).
If you signed Suggs to a $20m per year contract, then $20m + Franz $21m cap hold is $41m.

Ok so your renouncing Isaac 33 million cap hold and not resigning him which is what i said. 55+41=96. It will be close as the cap would be between 145-150 might be higher with new tv deal but they are definitely going to smooth it this time. But again that is renouncing everyone including Isaac and Mo and also not signing anything this summer more than a 1 year obligation.
Fine print disclaimer for Fultz:
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year… and I did and he sucks time to move on.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#1723 » by basketballRob » Mon May 6, 2024 6:12 pm

bigdogdylan5 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
sebaloz wrote:Suggs' cap hold is $27m. Suggs+Wagner=$48m. We can sing free agent to a contract with a max first-year salary $54,288,500 (0.35 * $155,1m).
If you signed Suggs to a $20m per year contract, then $20m + Franz $21m cap hold is $41m.

Ok so your renouncing Isaac 33 million cap hold and not resigning him which is what i said. 55+41=96. It will be close as the cap would be between 145-150 might be higher with new tv deal but they are definitely going to smooth it this time. But again that is renouncing everyone including Isaac and Mo and also not signing anything this summer more than a 1 year obligation.
Even if we only have $40m in room, that's enough to max a player. I suggested signing Isaac at around $14m and Moe around $10.

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,806

Post#1724 » by Knightro » Mon May 6, 2024 6:19 pm

I just don't understand why you guys are talking about free agency in the summer of 2025.

Do you really think they're not going to acquire anybody this summer and just punt on improving the 2024-2025 roster?

Do you really think they're not going to extend Franz or Suggs and instead play the cap hold game to squeeze out more dollars?

Do you really think they're going to renounce Isaac, especially if he has a good season?

And for what? In the name of "chasing" guys who might not even reach free agency next summer?

C'mon.
sebaloz
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#1725 » by sebaloz » Mon May 6, 2024 6:24 pm

basketballRob wrote:Even if we only have $40m in room, that's enough to max a player. I suggested signing Isaac at around $14m and Moe around $10.

$38,775,000 will be only enough for max free agents with between 0-6 years of experience.
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach

Post#1726 » by bigdogdylan5 » Mon May 6, 2024 6:24 pm

basketballRob wrote:
bigdogdylan5 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:If you signed Suggs to a $20m per year contract, then $20m + Franz $21m cap hold is $41m.

Even if we only have $40m in room, that's enough to max a player. I suggested signing Isaac at around $14m and Moe around $10.

If you give Mo 10 that takes it down to 30M in room and no 40 million is not a max. If the cap is at 150 the max would be 52. I love our team but Brunson and Mitchell aren’t going to take 12 million dollars less to play here over staying in their markets. Brunson is weird though because his max might be less than normal because of his less than max deal currently but I don’t think he is leaving NY.
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year… and I did and he sucks time to move on.
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach

Post#1727 » by bigdogdylan5 » Mon May 6, 2024 6:28 pm

Knightro wrote:I just don't understand why you guys are talking about free agency in the summer of 2025.

Do you really think they're not going to acquire anybody this summer and just punt on improving the 2024-2025 roster?

Do you really think they're not going to extend Franz or Suggs and instead play the cap hit game to squeeze out dollars?

Do you really think they're going to renounce Isaac, especially if he has a good season?

And for what? In the name of "chasing" guys who might not even reach free agency next summer?

C'mon.

Exactly and what I am trying to point out that we are out of run way. After this year with the cap holds and salary it makes it damn near impossible to clear max room. It’s so hard it’s not worth considering. This is the year we need to fill out the salary between salary cap and the aprons so that we can still make trades.
CocoaFan
Sophomore
And1: 69

Post#1728 » by CocoaFan » Mon May 6, 2024 7:44 pm

ibraheim718 wrote:
fendilim wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:
Bro do you know how easy it is to make this kind of video after the fact.

Here I'll counter with this video.

franz is nowhere near dirk is. Sheesh.

Franz is more of Hedo than dirk.

You're going to expose yourself. I would stop.

Hedo 3rd year stats..

7 ppl 3 reb 1 assist

He's miles closer to Dirk than he is Hedo.

I seriously would drop this argument.
These Franz to Hedo comparisons are laughable. The only thing they have in common is that they are/were 6'10" SF's. Hedo is no where in the same universe as Franz defensively. I remember watching Hedo and just hoping he'd bring energy. That is never the case with Franz as he is ultra competitive.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,387

Post#1729 » by pepe1991 » Mon May 6, 2024 7:55 pm

Why da hell people talk about 2025 free agency?
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
CocoaFan
Sophomore

Post#1730 » by CocoaFan » Mon May 6, 2024 8:25 pm

You anti-Franz guys saying Franz had a poor season and horrible playoffs (and comparing him to Hedo) are just idiots and should stop. Franz improved in every category this year other than 3 point shooting and played well in the playoffs other than game 7. You are basing your entire opinion on his regressed 3 point shooting and 1 bad playoff game. His shooting %'s have been fine this season and I believe he's led the starters in +/- all 3 years he's played including 2 with Paolo. You need to pay attention to the games and not just the box scores.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#1731 » by basketballRob » Mon May 6, 2024 8:26 pm

If I had to guess as of right now, I think they'll sign Thompson to a 2 year $70m deal. Maybe $80m if they let Ingles go.

CocoaFan
Sophomore

Post#1732 » by CocoaFan » Mon May 6, 2024 8:41 pm

Skybox wrote:
fendilim wrote:There’s no question that we will and should retain Franz at all cost.

But offering him max right away without negotiating is malpractice.

Of course...

Here this board goes again (generally starting comments with that)...get real, not maxing Franz will not be a shock or disappointment to him or his agent. He's going to get a big deal, just not a max deal. That is not the same as hating him or not "retaining him" :noway:

and this is not anything like Shaq's situation. Franz is fine and will be here for a long time, unless he's traded for a star guard - which I wouldn't do for now...Franz is versatile enough to be a future All-Star and grow with and complement Paolo - but he's not Paolo.
He's not as talented as Paolo on offense but I would argue he's as good or better in all other areas of the game.
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 594

Post#1733 » by MasterGMer » Mon May 6, 2024 8:44 pm

But still even with Klay Thompson's addition, we do not have a regular ball attacking, pick and roll guard. Who is that going to be after Klay's free agent signing? Or do we have cap space afterward?
CocoaFan
Sophomore

Post#1734 » by CocoaFan » Mon May 6, 2024 8:44 pm

drsd wrote:
Message Boar wrote:Two quick thoughts that have not been properly brainstormed out yet:

1) In light of the Kidd extension mid-playoffs, if we were to angle to snatch an unhappy Luka from the Mavs, be it by trade demand or free agency walk, what summer would that happen in and how do we position ourselves accordingly?

2) Is it at all feasible to roll over our cap space until next season's trade deadline or summer, signing only cheap and 1-year deals? Since the Suggs/Franz extensions don't actually kick in until next year and this free agency class is bad. IE can we be big spenders in 2025 free agency if we want to?

There are very few players the Magic would trade F-Wagner or Suggs for. For Dončić, the Magic trade both and feel like they won the trade. A team with Dončić and Banchero would win NBA titles; yes plural.
Are you serious? 2 ball dominant players that don't play consistent defense. How's that working out for the Clippers and Suns?
MasterGMer
Veteran

Post#1735 » by MasterGMer » Mon May 6, 2024 8:46 pm

Knightro wrote:I just don't understand why you guys are talking about free agency in the summer of 2025.

Do you really think they're not going to extend Franz or Suggs and instead play the cap hold game to squeeze out more dollars?

C'mon.

When is Suggs and Franz contract extension deadline?
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,669

Post#1736 » by orlando_joe » Mon May 6, 2024 8:53 pm

basketballRob wrote:If I had to guess as of right now, I think they'll sign Thompson to a 2 year $70m deal. Maybe $80m if they let Ingles go.

that would be depressing
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,568

Post#1737 » by eyriq » Mon May 6, 2024 8:59 pm

CocoaFan wrote:You anti-Franz guys saying Franz had a poor season and horrible playoffs (and comparing him to Hedo) are just idiots and should stop. Franz improved in every category this year other than 3 point shooting and played well in the playoffs other than game 7. You are basing your entire opinion on his regressed 3 point shooting and 1 bad playoff game. His shooting %'s have been fine this season and I believe he's led the starters in +/- all 3 years he's played including 2 with Paolo. You need to pay attention to the games and not just the box scores.
Victims of the moment and the national narrative.
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach

Post#1738 » by bigdogdylan5 » Mon May 6, 2024 9:03 pm

MasterGMer wrote:

C'mon.

Late October I think it’s the day before the season tips off.
MasterGMer
Veteran

Post#1739 » by MasterGMer » Mon May 6, 2024 9:04 pm

bigdogdylan5 wrote:
MasterGMer wrote:

C'mon.

Late October I think it’s the day before the season tips off.

I thought we didn't have to finish the extension with Franz or Suggs this summer at all? I thought they'd come next summer. Maybe I am wrong. I thought the QO is coming soon and they could hit RFA if they didn't have the extension, am i right?
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 714

Post#1740 » by RichCollab » Mon May 6, 2024 9:12 pm

basketballRob wrote:Free agents in 2025. Markkanen, Butler, Brunson, Tatum, White, and Mitchell.

Most if not all will be extended before free agency starts in 2025. I wouldn’t delay if you are expecting these players to be available.

Return to Orlando Magic