ImageImageImageImage

Official 2023-2024 Magic General Season Thread II

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,233

Re: Official 2023-2024 Magic General Season Thread II 

Post#401 » by MagicMatic » Tue May 7, 2024 12:08 am

SOUL wrote:I'm only replying to the parts I disagree with, because like I said, I ultimately do think AB should've got minutes over Fultz at the very least.

MagicMatic wrote:Black was a top lotto pick. He had a very successful run in games he started early. There was little to no evidence Fultz or Cole were actually significantly better options than him outside of Mosely merely making the decision. That’s kinda a far cry from comparing Hendricks to earning minutes over guys like Markk and Collins. Not really a comparison if we are being honest.

Correction, WE had a good string of games as a team with him starting with 4 other people... he wasn't the main driver in those. If you want to claim that his presence in their helped settle other people down, sure. If you want to say his willingness to let the ball move more and his defense did a lot, sure. But the fact of the matter is, the bench was amazing during that stretch and we obviously still had Franz and Paolo and Suggs.

His FG%, threes made, and assists in our 9 game winning streak:

50% (2-4) / 1 three / 3 assists
60% (3-5) / 1 three / 3 assists
25% (1-4) / 0 threes / 3 assists
0% (0-1) / 0 threes / 0 assist
0% (0-1) / 0 threes / 1 assists
28% (2-7) / 0 threes / 1 assist
20% (1-5) / 0 threes / 1 assist
50% (1-2) / 0 threes / 0 assists
37% (3-8) / 0 threes / 2 assists

(14 total assists, 13 turnovers)

The only reason these string of games get pointed to is because it was our longest win streak, and correlation doesn't imply causation, otherwise, like I said, I can similarly point to a win streak last year with Bol Bol and Fultz and make a faulty argument based on that.

The arguments to play Cole and Gary are based on month long sample sizes of higher usage ball.

For Cole, he fell off a cliff iin January, but he was our best scorer off of the bench averaging around 15 ppg before that, and was vital to our hot start. Can create his own shot as a guard, which nobody outside of Suggs (who also didn't do it that much) was doing. That's why he played.

Gary had a 22 game stretch of around 50/40 ball with good defense in which we went 16-5. A lot of bad teams, but we were a bad team just a year ago. The stats were backing up the win-streak, and obviously he provided a need in three point shooting.

What people point to with Anthony Black and Goga is the 9 game winning streak, not random big games outside of that. You may disagree with everything I write, but you must acknowledge that most of the arguments to play them come from that streak. And in that 9 game sample size, Anthony Black was shooting 35% and has 2 three pointers in that stretch and is only a viable argument because the team won. Goga at least has the stats/advanced stats in his favor when it comes to the winning streak.

The reason why I'm bringing up Harris is that a lot of people want Black/Suggs as a backcourt and didn't want Harris playing at all.

MagicMatic wrote:Anthony Black is better defensively than both CAN actually shoot the ball. That’s the difference.

We don't know this exactly, but his three point shot being better than advertised is promising. 1.6 a game isn't enough to sway me one way or another yet, but he's shown that he can at the very least hit threes when he's set up.

That being said...

Surely you can see the issue of Black being a PG that isn't shooting any threes off the dribble or attacking into the paint with any regularity, even in scrub minutes. If he has to be set up by Suggs, Franz, Paolo, don't you think that hampers his shooting ability and positional versatility of a guy drafted as point guard?

Then you can say, "Well, even if he isn't doing much out there, he keeps the ball moving and can be a great point of attack defender". Which, cool, but that benefit loses its allure a bit when you realize we already have a great POA defender in Suggs out there who is also hitting threes in volume, and you still need some juice out there.

I love the idea of Black and think he will be huge for us in the future. I've also said I thought he should be playing over Fultz because Fultz doesn't have a future here. But sometimes there are just specific things coaches value, I guess. Same reason why a lot of these washed up vets get minutes. Hell, we had Ben Gordon, Willie Green and others getting minutes while actively fielding a young team. Nick Nurse played Tobias Harris despite him retiring and fans at their wit's end with him.

A few things…

Do I believe AB is/was 100% ready to shoulder the load of being the starting point guard for this team? Not really.

However, I DID find it extremely annoying that the alternative to playing him was either starting Gary, low volume, Harris and a weird quasi rotation of Cole and Fultz that really did not work whatsoever post asb. Im just saying that I don’t think either of those options are insurmountably better than playing Black in EITHER the long or short term. Gary Harris coming off the bench in the second unit doesn’t sound bad in theory to be honest.

We can go back and forth forever talking about why and how that winning streak was successful and whether Black was either driving it’s success or just a very small part of it. That’s not really the point either way. It’s merely something to point to when we are considering whether Black is capable of belonging on the court. He proved that he belongs. If he never did, then I would agree with you wholesale… Knowing that he belongs just solidified people’s stance in wondering where tf he was in the rotation given his ability to guard and occasionally hit shots at 6’7.

Quick Aside to some of what you are talking about

I spent WAY too much time on this forum telling people Fultz should have been moved prior to this season. Like… I need to delete this account and reevaluate my life amounts of time. Had the FO just moved Fultz and not split his minutes with Cole (and benched Black) we would have been better off. Why? Because I’m not just looking at box scores. I’m looking at trends in player efficiency over the course of the season. Cole Anthony became a shell of himself when Fultz returned. That’s the reason as to why. There’s a direct correlation and it’s not even an argument. Cole didn’t even look like he was having fun since like February. He looked pissed off and going through the motions. Suggs alluded to this.. Black was also getting good reps in those extra minutes. It really fcked a lot up in the guard rotation and it was a completely unnecessary decision that should have been avoided.

Sorry for the Fultz veer off

However, it matters within the context of Anthony Black and this season. Harris MIGHT have been the better decision in the playoffs next to Suggs given the matchup. Not sure you or anyone can argue those Fultz/Cole minutes were good or should have ever happened. In the back of my mind I think AB could have guarded their back court better than either of those guys. Maybe I’m wrong. We will never know.

The beauty of the point guard spot this year next to Suggs or WHATEVER you want to call the latest iteration of Orlando’s back court… is that it made sense to Mosely to throw Gary out there regardless of whether or not he was hitting shots at extremely low volume. Anthony Black IS that guy too right now. He’s a playmaking low volume 5th option on offense you hide and can guard smaller guys. I’m not entirely sure why that kind of guy is riding the bench for either Fultz or Cole based on what we knew toward the end of the season. Even when Gary was out Mosely decided to NOT throw AB into the mix even when his skillset was perfect for it. Too bad he didn’t get any other minutes because Fultz returned and we needed “teammate of the year” instead I guess.

TLDR; it’s just kind of crazy to suggest the Black didn’t deserve many minutes this season when Orlando’s point guard rotation was SUSPECT. You have to back up your evidence that having Black out there NOT being able to shoot off the dribble is a bigger hindrance than being targeted on defense or shrinking the court to ridiculous levels.. Nevertheless, It’s not really comparable to other rookies sitting benched behind legitimate rotation guys that have no business being replaced with unknowns. You could absolutely make a case with Jett or any number of rookies being shelved. That just wasn’t the case with AB given the competition.
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 707

Post#402 » by JoshuaPotter » Tue May 7, 2024 2:22 am

eyriq wrote:Weltman: "We added Joe Ingles and two rookies and went from 34 to 47"

What....the....deuce?
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#403 » by JoshuaPotter » Tue May 7, 2024 2:41 am

MagicMatic wrote:
However, it matters within the context of Anthony Black and this season. Harris MIGHT have been the better decision in the playoffs next to Suggs given the matchup. Not sure you or anyone can argue those Fultz/Cole minutes were good or should have ever happened. In the back of my mind I think AB could have guarded their back court better than either of those guys. Maybe I’m wrong. We will never know.

Throw me in with the hyperbolic group of....

Did we lose the first round because Black played?

How many regular season games did we lose because Black played?

It's not like we went "you live by the Paolo you die by the Paolo" but with Black.

Like OK, this actually isn't directed at you MagicMatic. In fact nothing here is directed at you. I am exhausted with spitting the fact that 6th pick, mr "raw but supposedly unplayable talent" Black was possibly our 3rd best guard on the roster (at least situational) and he got zero burn or worse.

I could understand that right at the end of the season G Harris and Suggs were really gelling defensively. I absolutely think Weham is offering Harris a contract right now based off that.

Otherwise, this idea though that Black couldn't get Fultz or Cole minutes in the playoffs just feels wrong. OK bench him on the playoffs aspect because maybe we lose in 6 instead of 7. The fact that there is a reasonable argument that we might not do any worse with Black on the floor means

- They know Black sucks and we don't.
- Mosely prefers almost anyone over rookies. (But this doesn't sound right, because otherwise how does Paolo do so well?)

I'm stumped. What's worse, is I have to admit that I would personally have been OK with a worse record if we had a better idea of what our players were capable of. What's worse then that? We are going into free agency "thinking" our 3rd best guard (arguably 2nd now) on the rotation is a guy who can't get minutes from 1 dude who shouldn't be in the NBA this season (Fultz), 1 dude who is going to be a free agent (G Harris) and another person who disappeared most of the second half of the season (Cole).

But yeah he is a rookie, and we aren't in the 3rd year of a rebuild.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#404 » by MagicMatic » Tue May 7, 2024 4:41 am

JoshuaPotter wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

It's not like we went "you live by the Paolo you die by the Paolo" but with Black.

Like OK, this actually isn't directed at you MagicMatic. In fact nothing here is directed at you. I am exhausted with spitting the fact that 6th pick, mr "raw but supposedly unplayable talent" Black was possibly our 3rd best guard on the roster (at least situational) and he got zero burn or worse.

I could understand that right at the end of the season G Harris and Suggs were really gelling defensively. I absolutely think Weham is offering Harris a contract right now based off that.

Otherwise, this idea though that Black couldn't get Fultz or Cole minutes in the playoffs just feels wrong. OK bench him on the playoffs aspect because maybe we lose in 6 instead of 7. The fact that there is a reasonable argument that we might not do any worse with Black on the floor means

- Mosely prefers almost anyone over rookies. (But this doesn't sound right, because otherwise how does Paolo do so well?)

I'm stumped. What's worse, is I have to admit that I would personally have been OK with a worse record if we had a better idea of what our players were capable of. What's worse then that? We are going into free agency "thinking" our 3rd best guard (arguably 2nd now) on the rotation is a guy who can't get minutes from 1 dude who shouldn't be in the NBA this season (Fultz), 1 dude who is going to be a free agent (G Harris) and another person who disappeared most of the second half of the season (Cole).

And we will never know.

I’m just pushing back on this idea that Black was unplayable throughout the season because he had better point guards blocking his minutes ( like what? :lol: ).

We saw enough games with him to know he wasn’t some unplayable scrub that wasn’t worthy of in game investment this season OR a guy that could have contributed defensively similar to how Gary was used.

Now, if Mosely wants to prioritize experience then fine. I just don’t get the hoops people jump through to claim a portion of the fan base is delusional for wondering where he was when Fultz and Cole looked like ass for the last 20 games and into the playoffs.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,035

Post#405 » by drsd » Tue May 7, 2024 9:30 am

Working my way through the exit interviews and Anthony's had some gems.

1) he clearly stated he had personal things this year. (Did they effect his game?) He said this will be removed to have better "mental health" next season. Hmm.
2) he mentioned Hank Waters by name in describing how wonderful Magic fans were this year.

3) and why I am posting now, Anthony created a new nickname for Banchero: Playoff-P.

What do we think of that moniker?
drsd
RealGM

Post#406 » by drsd » Tue May 7, 2024 9:35 am

Bitadze want to resign with Orlando. His argument is "loyalty". He thinks the Magic saved his career.
drsd
RealGM

Post#407 » by drsd » Tue May 7, 2024 10:21 am

Howard WANTS to play in Vegas at the Summer league.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,172

Post#408 » by tiderulz » Tue May 7, 2024 11:48 am

JoshuaPotter wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

coaches are fired by their wins and losses. I get it, you need to know what you have, but coaches generally arent okay with losing
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,932

Post#409 » by basketballRob » Tue May 7, 2024 11:54 am

When I see Anthony Edwards in the playoffs, it makes me think that we have to develop Black because he has the size to defend players like that.

Another player showing out is Donte DiVicenzo. He averaged 15 3-pt attempts per 100 this year on a decent percentage. His one season with Golden State may have helped him. Thompson also averages 15 per 100. If we signed Thompson, would he help improve everyone on the teams shooting? Suggs averaged 9.4 attempts per 100. Could he get that up to the teens? Could he help teach Franz to be a 40% shooter?

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#410 » by JoshuaPotter » Tue May 7, 2024 12:37 pm

tiderulz wrote:coaches are fired by their wins and losses. I get it, you need to know what you have, but coaches generally arent okay with losing

I think we both know thats an awkward take.

Would Mosely have been fired for missing the playoffs in an alternate reality?

Did he not get a contract extension before making the playoffs?

The team was a hair over 500 when he got his extension.

I agree with your logical statement, and yet, this implies that Mosely contract extension from game 1 start was based solely on performance when everyone agrees it was just a lofty expectation to make the playoffs but many predicted another year of thirty's wins wasn't out of the cards.

And a lot of us were going to have fun watching that.
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#411 » by JoshuaPotter » Tue May 7, 2024 12:38 pm

I found these exit interviews and watched Black and feel even worse now.

How to mismanage a high pick 103 class right here.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,387

Post#412 » by pepe1991 » Tue May 7, 2024 12:53 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:I found these exit interviews and watched Black and feel even worse now.

$7 000 000 in bank account , at age of 19 -20, free summer for first time since he was 6 and all the hoes slipping in DM will comfort him really well, don't worry too much :lol:
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#413 » by JoshuaPotter » Tue May 7, 2024 12:59 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:I found these exit interviews and watched Black and feel even worse now.

$7 000 000 in bank account , at age of 19 -20, free summer for first time since he was 6 and all the hoes slipping in DM will comfort him really well, don't worry too much :lol:

What an odd thing to say.

He is either a good kid who wants a career out of this sport. Or someone like Mo Bamba, Anthony Bennet. From his work ethic, I put him in neither of those player categories.
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#414 » by JoshuaPotter » Tue May 7, 2024 1:01 pm

Everyone else can be happy with our ability to land 3 picks and then botch the rest. I'll be ok.
Fortune Teller
Sophomore
And1: 169

Post#415 » by Fortune Teller » Tue May 7, 2024 1:15 pm

Fultz should never have been on the roster this season, much less played rotation minutes. The fact that Black couldn’t take his minutes probably reflects on Mos, Welt and Black. Whatever the plan was taking him 6th, it failed.

But would Black have made a difference against Cleveland? He would’ve been another defense-first guard who Mitchell and Garland didn’t have to worry about when the Magic had the ball, the ultimate redundancy. This is the problem — we need guards who will force the other team’s stars to work on defense instead of saving their energy for 2nd half scoring bursts.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,568

Post#416 » by eyriq » Tue May 7, 2024 1:38 pm

Cole working out with Paolo this off-season. Translation?

Read on Twitter
?t=Vl4iFolq9TVNHlFHUyI78Q&s=19
byeganyo
Junior
And1: 130

Post#417 » by byeganyo » Tue May 7, 2024 1:57 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:Everyone else can be happy with our ability to land 3 picks and then botch the rest. I'll be ok.

Out of 6 picks in the past 3 years only Jett looks like a miss so far. That's good rate.
Black was 20th in minutes played among all rookies this season, not great, not terrible -i dont get it why so many people think 500 or so more minutes in his rookie season would change his trajectory...
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#418 » by MagicMatic » Tue May 7, 2024 2:27 pm

Fortune Teller wrote:Fultz should never have been on the roster this season, much less played rotation minutes. The fact that Black couldn’t take his minutes probably reflects on Mos, Welt and Black. Whatever the plan was taking him 6th, it failed.

But would Black have made a difference against Cleveland? He would’ve been another defense-first guard who Mitchell and Garland didn’t have to worry about when the Magic had the ball, the ultimate redundancy. This is the problem — we need guards who will force the other team’s stars to work on defense instead of saving their energy for 2nd half scoring bursts.

Your first paragraph only tracks if we never saw Black log actual minutes at point guard this season. We saw that… he looked very good for a rookie and his defense was insurmountably better than Fultz OR Cole. He also wasn’t absolutely petrified of shooting. Yeah, people still haven’t learned their lessons from Suggs looking unplayable in year 1 and still making proclamations like “taking him 6th failed”. Guess your mind is made up.

Is it redundancy? You act like there is another point guard on this roster that was infinitely better than Black to levels that DNPing him for 3 months made sense. Fultz and Cole minutes didn’t move the needle 75-80% of the time. Gary Harris was injured and we saw more Fultz minutes replacing him. Idk man I think another huge defender to throw in front of the only two guys on their roster that could score made a little more sense than the absolute nothing those two guys contributed.

I see people saying **** like “Orlando desperately needs a point guard” and “why didn’t they get one at the trade deadline”, while Anthony Black racks up DNP’s because Fultz and Cole need to be on the floor doing nothing for half the season… ok
Audi
Analyst
And1: 2,826

Post#419 » by Audi » Tue May 7, 2024 2:40 pm

MagicMatic wrote:I spent WAY too much time on this forum telling people Fultz should have been moved prior to this season. Like… I need to delete this account and reevaluate my life amounts of time. Had the FO just moved Fultz and not split his minutes with Cole (and benched Black) we would have been better off. Why? Because I’m not just looking at box scores. I’m looking at trends in player efficiency over the course of the season. Cole Anthony became a shell of himself when Fultz returned. That’s the reason as to why. There’s a direct correlation and it’s not even an argument. Cole didn’t even look like he was having fun since like February. He looked pissed off and going through the motions. Suggs alluded to this.. Black was also getting good reps in those extra minutes. It really fcked a lot up in the guard rotation and it was a completely unnecessary decision that should have been avoided.

The thought of Fultz's mere presence back in the lineup being enough for Cole to 'become a shell of himself' makes me want Cole off the team, not to placate his weak mentality so he can 'have fun' or whatever.
Of course, I don't buy the correlation you are making at all. There's absolutely "an argument" about there being direct correlation. I think Cole hit a personal rough spot and it clearly got in his head. These things happen. Players hit low places and have bad seasons. I think we can rest assured that Fultz had little-to-nothing to do with it.
Abra Cadabra, Razzmatazz, Slam-Dunk Sesame, Hocus Pocus, Alacazam, Gonna set the spirit free
Keeping The Original Orlando Magic Theme Song Alive
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,932

Post#420 » by basketballRob » Tue May 7, 2024 2:45 pm

eyriq wrote:Cole working out with Paolo this off-season. Translation?

Read on Twitter
?t=Vl4iFolq9TVNHlFHUyI78Q&s=19
That's going to be awkward if Cole gets traded.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app

Return to Orlando Magic