ImageImageImageImage

Do you think Franz Wagner should get a Max or not?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

Should Franz Wagner be signed to a max contract?

Yes
42%
No
58%

Total votes: 69

Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,838

Re: Do you think Franz Wagner should get a Max or not? 

Post#121 » by Skybox » Fri May 10, 2024 1:33 pm

my honest predictions...not what's "fair" or how it will go, but if I was betting:

(not necessarily this summer)

Cade and Barnes get maxed...I don't think they're the best, more like team situations, etc
Just below, but not max...Franz, Mobley, Sengun, Herb Jones
Guys that get reasonable deals for reasonable roles...Giddey, Suggs, Kispert, Trey Murphy, Ayo Dosunmu
Guys (at various levels) that get pissed at their teams' reasonable offers and could be on the move...Jalen Green, Kuminga, Moody, Jalen Johnson, Cam Thomas, Bones Ryland (maybe they blame opportunity, Coach, or just lack of reality)
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,585

Post#122 » by eyriq » Fri May 10, 2024 2:45 pm

Is Franz a Batman, Robin, Alfred, or deck chair?
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,201

Post#123 » by zaymon » Fri May 10, 2024 3:41 pm

eyriq wrote:Is Franz a Batman, Robin, Alfred, or deck chair?

On our team he is Catwomen.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
Skybox
RealGM

Post#124 » by Skybox » Fri May 10, 2024 5:19 pm

I think he's more Batman than Robin

...but, he's standing next to Superman
byeganyo
Junior
And1: 133

Post#125 » by byeganyo » Fri May 10, 2024 5:42 pm

Skybox wrote:my honest predictions...not what's "fair" or how it will go, but if I was betting:

Cade and Barnes get maxed...I don't think they're the best, more like team situations, etc
Guys that get reasonable deals for reasonable roles...Giddey, Suggs, Kispert, Trey Murphy, Ayo Dosunmu
Guys (at various levels) that get pissed at their teams' reasonable offers and could be on the move...Jalen Green, Kuminga, Moody, Jalen Johnson, Cam Thomas, Bones Ryland (maybe they blame opportunity, Coach, or just lack of reality)

Mobley should fire his agent if he doesnt get the max - they are in the 2nd round of the playoffs thanks to him, he finished 3rd in DPOY last season, if Garland got the max form Cleveland, he should be getting it too.

Sengun also right now looks like the one with the biggest superstar potential in his class, so he'll hold pretty strong hand in the negotiations.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#126 » by Skybox » Fri May 10, 2024 5:53 pm

byeganyo wrote:
Skybox wrote:my honest predictions...not what's "fair" or how it will go, but if I was betting:

Mobley should fire his agent if he doesnt get the max - they are in the 2nd round of the playoffs thanks to him, he finished 3rd in DPOY last season, if Garland got the max form Cleveland, he should be getting it too.

Sengun also right now looks like the one with the biggest superstar potential in his class, so he'll hold pretty strong hand in the negotiations.

Probably right about Mobley...but, he has disappointed overall. He was supposed to be the Unicorn that could spread the floor a bit and play next to Jarrett Allen. Turns out he IS Jarrett Allen, maybe even better, but maybe not what he was supposed to be when he got drafted so high...."you guys overpaid Garland" might not be the best tactic.

He probably WILL get a max, but I'd say it's debatable. His offense isn't there yet.

* some might argue that Donovan Mitchell's 1 on 5 amazing scoring had a hand in them moving on. :roll: Mosley was only really impactful when Allen was out.
byeganyo
Junior
And1: 133

Post#127 » by byeganyo » Fri May 10, 2024 6:15 pm

Skybox wrote:
byeganyo wrote:

Probably right about Mobley...but, he has disappointed overall. He was supposed to be the Unicorn that could spread the floor a bit and play next to Jarrett Allen. Turns out he IS Jarrett Allen, maybe even better, but maybe not what he was supposed to be when he got drafted so high...."you guys overpaid Garland" might not be the best tactic.

He probably WILL get a max, but I'd say it's debatable. His offense isn't there yet.

* some might argue that Donovan Mitchell's 1 on 5 amazing scoring had a hand in them moving on. :roll: Mosley was only really impactful when Allen was out.

Of course he isnt the sole or even the main reason Cavs are where they are, but his impact will be hard to ignore when they negotiate.
And i'll say Cavs should not have any regrets drafting him with the 3rd pick, where he is going to end up in a redraft? Id say top 5 for sure.
The-Stallion70
Bench Warmer
And1: 423

Post#128 » by The-Stallion70 » Fri May 10, 2024 6:20 pm

tooler wrote:Then you put him against a good defense in another team's arena in the playoffs and he struggles to do anything.

This was the very first time that Franz, at 22 years old, had ever been in the playoffs. This was just a few games in another team's arena in a playoff setting so this is the only sample size of playoff games we have to go off of for Franz. I wouldn't try to extract some kind of grand theme from his playoff performance in these seven games.

The Cavs, who just beat Boston by 20+ in their first away win this postseason, had time to study Franz in depth for the two weeks of the series.

He needs to work on his jumper, we know this. Young player do tend to get better in my opinion but I can't say for sure if he will improve enough to justify paying him a max deal.

I would give Franz 5/150, 30 per year not 40 but again this all depends on how the analysts calculate his value based on the market for sfs, projected cap room that Weltman wants to have left over for some other target, etc
thelead wrote:I have a memory like an elephant.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#129 » by Skybox » Fri May 10, 2024 6:27 pm

The-Stallion70 wrote:
tooler wrote:Then you put him against a good defense in another team's arena in the playoffs and he struggles to do anything.

This was the very first time that Franz, at 22 years old, had ever been in the playoffs. This was just a few games in another team's arena in a playoff setting so this is the only sample size of playoff games we have to go off of for Franz. I wouldn't try to extract some kind of grand theme from his playoff performance in these seven games.

The Cavs, who just beat Boston by 20+ in their first away win this postseason, had time to study Franz in depth for the two weeks of the series.

He needs to work on his jumper, we know this. Young player do tend to get better in my opinion but I can't say for sure if he will improve enough to justify paying him a max deal.

I would give Franz 5/150, 30 per year not 40 but again this all depends on how the analysts calculate his value based on the market for sfs, projected cap room that Weltman wants to have left over for some other target.

I think that's reasonable...maybe 30 up to 32. Suggs 25-28m
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,859

Post#130 » by Knightro » Fri May 10, 2024 6:43 pm

Food for thought...

At the end of Game 6, Franz was averaging 21.0 PPG, 7.0 RPG, 4.2 APG, 0.7 SPG, 1.3 BPG and just 1.5 TOV with a 59.7 TS% while also playing good defense.

Do you know how many NBA players this season averaged 21-7-4 with just 1.5 TOV and a 59.7% TS?

Zero. There wasn't a single player who did that.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#131 » by eyriq » Fri May 10, 2024 6:53 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=ajJqEj8lEacxRSzo95zSAA&s=19
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#132 » by eyriq » Fri May 10, 2024 7:48 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=GNp2o-yV9iWMe57FQCYGPA&s=19
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,201

Post#133 » by zaymon » Fri May 10, 2024 8:33 pm

eyriq wrote:
Read on Twitter

Also nobody mentions he improved all of that despite struggling from 3. Its not easy to be so efficient from 2 when people dont respect your jumper.
He showed all of the pieces now needs to put it all together and chill out a bit. Maybe find a girl and stop living with your brother?
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
The-Stallion70
Bench Warmer
And1: 423

Post#134 » by The-Stallion70 » Fri May 10, 2024 8:46 pm

Knightro wrote:Food for thought...

At the end of Game 6, Franz was averaging 21.0 PPG, 7.0 RPG, 4.2 APG, 0.7 SPG, 1.3 BPG and just 1.5 TOV with a 59.7 TS% while also playing good defense.

Do you know how many NBA players this season averaged 21-7-4 with just 1.5 TOV and a 59.7% TS?

Zero. There wasn't a single player who did that.

His series ts% after game 6 looks good in part because he shot 13-17 in game 3. He also went 3-11 and 5-17 in the series. This is one instance where the small sample size argument is relevant.
thelead wrote:I have a memory like an elephant.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,934

Post#135 » by RookieStar » Fri May 10, 2024 9:46 pm

Skybox wrote:

Sadly... THIS.

When he was a rookie some of us thought he had the potential to be the alpha of our team. Sure NOT a franchise face of the league type of player but his ceiling/potential then was a #1.

Then... the next draft hap... I mean Krypton blew up and we got Superman landing in our planet.

The rest is history...
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,276

Post#136 » by JBSouthpaw » Mon May 13, 2024 12:41 pm

RookieStar wrote:
Skybox wrote:

Sadly... THIS.

When he was a rookie some of us thought he had the potential to be the alpha of our team. Sure NOT a franchise face of the league type of player but his ceiling/potential then was a #1.

Then... the next draft hap... I mean Krypton blew up and we got Superman landing in our planet.

The rest is history...

No way should we be sad about having Batman & Superman. That duo saves planets!
They didn't make a movie "Superman vs. Aquaman"... Because Batman is also a star.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,442

Post#137 » by UCFJayBird » Mon May 13, 2024 12:46 pm

zaymon wrote:
eyriq wrote:
Read on Twitter

Also nobody mentions he improved all of that despite struggling from 3. Its not easy to be so efficient from 2 when people dont respect your jumper.
He showed all of the pieces now needs to put it all together and chill out a bit. Maybe find a girl and stop living with your brother?

QFT. Franz gets his 3-pointer back and becomes a deep threat again and he will tear this league apart. And I see no reason to think he can't do that.
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 712

Post#138 » by JoshuaPotter » Mon May 13, 2024 12:57 pm

If he gets a max deal. Regardless of whether or not it is the initial offer I wouldn't be mad.

Similarly - I do not care if we offer him a tad under for starters. Franz is one of those players that if you get him for a max contract you just shrug and keep moving.

Put it this way, Paulo and Franz are currently our "untouchable" pieces. So long as that rings true in your head. They are max money worthy.

If one or both are touchable. They could still be max, but they probably aren't worth it.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,934

Post#139 » by RookieStar » Mon May 13, 2024 9:58 pm

I agree.. if Franz gets back even to his average in 3pt percentage, the question of MAX wouldn't even be asked becasue all his numbers went up also
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#140 » by eyriq » Mon May 13, 2024 10:51 pm

I fed the last three per 100 possession Franz seasons into chatgpt:

Franz Wagner: Player Analysis Based on First Three Seasons (Per 100 Possessions)Overview: Franz Wagner has shown impressive development in his first three seasons. Analyzing his per 100 possessions statistics reveals a player who is steadily improving in several key areas, showcasing his potential to become an elite player in the NBA.
Scoring
    []Points Per 100 Possessions:
      []2022: 23.8 []2023: 27.5 []2024: 30.1
  • Analysis: Wagner's scoring has increased significantly each season, indicating his growing confidence and role in the offense. This steady rise suggests he's becoming a more prominent scoring option on his team.
Shooting Efficiency
    []Field Goal Percentage (FG%):
      []2022: 46.8% []2023: 48.5% []2024: 48.2%
    []Three-Point Percentage (3P%):
      []2022: 35.4% []2023: 36.1% []2024: 28.1%
    []Free Throw Percentage (FT%):
      []2022: 86.3% []2023: 84.2% []2024: 85.0%
  • Analysis: Wagner's overall field goal percentage has remained consistently strong, demonstrating his efficiency. However, his three-point percentage dropped significantly in the third season, which is a concern. His free throw shooting remains excellent, indicating reliable scoring from the line.
Rebounding
    []Total Rebounds Per 100 Possessions (TRB):
      []2022: 7.1 []2023: 6.1 []2024: 8.1
  • Analysis: Wagner's rebounding showed a dip in his second season but rebounded strongly in his third. His improved defensive rebounding suggests a growing presence on the boards.
Playmaking
    []Assists Per 100 Possessions (AST):
      []2022: 4.6 []2023: 5.2 []2024: 5.7
  • Analysis: Wagner's assists have increased each season, highlighting his development as a playmaker. This improvement indicates a better understanding of the game and increased responsibilities as a facilitator.
Defensive Contributions
    []Steals Per 100 Possessions (STL):
      []2022: 1.4 []2023: 1.4 []2024: 1.6
    []Blocks Per 100 Possessions (BLK):
      []2022: 0.7 []2023: 0.3 []2024: 0.6
  • Analysis: Wagner has maintained a consistent level of steals, showing his defensive awareness. His blocks dipped in the second season but improved again in the third, suggesting a return to form defensively.
Turnovers and Fouls
    []Turnovers Per 100 Possessions (TOV):
      []2022: 2.4 []2023: 3.1 []2024: 2.9
    []Personal Fouls Per 100 Possessions (PF):
      []2022: 3.3 []2023: 3.4 []2024: 3.6
  • Analysis: Wagner's turnovers increased in his second season but slightly improved in the third. Managing turnovers remains an area for improvement. His fouls have gradually increased, indicating a need for better defensive discipline.
Summary Franz Wagner has shown significant growth in his first three seasons, particularly in scoring and playmaking. While his three-point shooting dipped in his third season, his overall offensive efficiency and free throw shooting remain strong. His rebounding has improved, and he continues to contribute defensively. If he can address his three-point shooting consistency and manage his turnovers and fouls, Wagner has the potential to solidify himself as a top-tier player in the NBA. Based on his trajectory, he could fit into the Top 20 category, with potential to climb higher if improvements continue.

Return to Orlando Magic