ImageImageImageImage

2024 Draft Prospects Orlando Magic Should Get

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,042

Re: 2024 Draft Prospects Orlando Magic Should Get 

Post#701 » by drsd » Thu May 9, 2024 8:50 am

T-Cat wrote:
Read on Twitter

Are you trying to trigger us LOL

Look, on draft day, it was reported that the Cavs wanted to trade up from 8 to 6. I was screaming for Orlando to make that deal and draft Gilgeous-Alexander at 8, and gain another asset. Of course I didn't think he would become all Universe. But he looks like he would be a solid starter.

That the Magic did not trade down for him wond me up, big time. I never, ever believed in Bamba. Then to watch him not-set-screens in the NBA, it was embarrassing.

Look: Orlando would have been better served to trade 6 to the top of the second round and draft Trent Jr. (he went 37). Oh wait: the Magic could have drafted Trent at 35. Ooops.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,831

Post#702 » by Skybox » Thu May 9, 2024 9:48 am

basketballRob wrote:Furphy would be interesting. He's 6'9" from Australia like Ingles. If we kept Ingles for another year, he could train Furphy.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app

We don’t need a $10m cap hit for an assistant coach. They speak English :lol:

Actually, I wouldn’t mind Ingles on the staff…he’s always taking guys aside and explaining little things. There’s no questioning the BBIQ and he certainly keeps it light…he never appears stressed, regardless of what’s going on in the game (not in a weak way like some of our giggling bench). One look at his body and you know he must have a superior bball mind.
T-Cat
Sixth Man
And1: 436

Post#703 » by T-Cat » Thu May 9, 2024 10:12 am

drsd wrote:
T-Cat wrote:
Read on Twitter

Look, on draft day, it was reported that the Cavs wanted to trade up from 8 to 6. I was screaming for Orlando to make that deal and draft Gilgeous-Alexander at 8, and gain another asset. Of course I didn't think he would become all Universe. But he looks like he would be a solid starter.

That the Magic did not trade down for him wond me up, big time. I never, ever believed in Bamba. Then to watch him not-set-screens in the NBA, it was embarrassing.

Look: Orlando would have been better served to trade 6 to the top of the second round and draft Trent Jr. (he went 37). Oh wait: the Magic could have drafted Trent at 35. Ooops.

No trigger at all lol! I'm trying to figure out why Orlando is so quiet come draft time when they had a high pick!

Mo Bamba was the BPA due to his measurements and ability, no one thought SGA was a MVP candidate. Orlando should swing for the fences and hopefully that would make up for the 2018 draft mistake.
drsd
RealGM

Post#704 » by drsd » Thu May 9, 2024 10:29 am

T-Cat wrote:Orlando should swing for the fences and hopefully that would make up for the 2018 draft mistake.

So remind me again why the Magic drafted Howard over Dick???? Or Keyonte George???
T-Cat
Sixth Man

Post#705 » by T-Cat » Thu May 9, 2024 3:01 pm

drsd wrote:
T-Cat wrote:Orlando should swing for the fences and hopefully that would make up for the 2018 draft mistake.

So remind me again why the Magic drafted Howard over Dick???? Or Keyonte George???

Once we selected Anthony Black, Weltman could not draft Gradey Dick because fans would have a field day with that one! :lol:
drsd
RealGM

Post#706 » by drsd » Fri May 10, 2024 1:55 am

T-Cat wrote:
drsd wrote:

Once we selected Anthony Black, Weltman could not draft Gradey Dick because fans would have a field day with that one! :lol:

I don't get it.

Message Boar
Analyst
And1: 1,919

Post#707 » by Message Boar » Fri May 10, 2024 7:36 pm

So I did a 1-30 mock draft on Fanspo today (no trades in this one), and ended up giving the Magic Tyler Smith. Honestly I don't know that much about him, but I know I drafted him to OKC at #12 in an earlier lottery-only mock I did yesterday, so it seemed like good value. Does anyone have an opinion on him? He seems kinda raw and generic, but that might just be the boring name. Reminds me a little bit of a slightly worse version of last year's Taylor Hendricks as a prospect. Athletic, long combo sf/pf with defensive upside that supposedly can shoot. But I'm still not that excited (I didn't pass on guys I really do like while picking for the other teams to have them drop down to the Magic).

Also let's post a lot so I don't have to see the tweet at the top of this thread every time I check in :nod:
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,934

Post#708 » by RookieStar » Fri May 10, 2024 10:16 pm

Message Boar wrote:So I did a 1-30 mock draft on Fanspo today (no trades in this one), and ended up giving the Magic Tyler Smith. Honestly I don't know that much about him, but I know I drafted him to OKC at #12 in an earlier lottery-only mock I did yesterday, so it seemed like good value. Does anyone have an opinion on him? He seems kinda raw and generic, but that might just be the boring name. Reminds me a little bit of a slightly worse version of last year's Taylor Hendricks as a prospect. Athletic, long combo sf/pf with defensive upside that supposedly can shoot. But I'm still not that excited (I didn't pass on guys I really do like while picking for the other teams to have them drop down to the Magic).

Also let's post a lot so I don't have to see the tweet at the top of this thread every time I check in :nod:

He is/WAS my pick when JI was going in a tear a xouple months back. I was thinking we needed insurance for a Ji type player we can unleash to stifle opponents.

So why not this guy... supposedly almost 6'11 long athletic etc etc... then i read comments that this dude wants to be an offensive type player aka chuck 3s and doesnt have the bbiq.... sooo naaaaaah

We will see though, people paid to scout him are def better than me in evaluating so who knows.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,050

Post#709 » by fendilim » Sat May 11, 2024 12:15 am

RookieStar wrote:
Message Boar wrote:So I did a 1-30 mock draft on Fanspo today (no trades in this one), and ended up giving the Magic Tyler Smith. Honestly I don't know that much about him, but I know I drafted him to OKC at #12 in an earlier lottery-only mock I did yesterday, so it seemed like good value. Does anyone have an opinion on him? He seems kinda raw and generic, but that might just be the boring name. Reminds me a little bit of a slightly worse version of last year's Taylor Hendricks as a prospect. Athletic, long combo sf/pf with defensive upside that supposedly can shoot. But I'm still not that excited (I didn't pass on guys I really do like while picking for the other teams to have them drop down to the Magic).

He is/WAS my pick when JI was going in a tear a xouple months back. I was thinking we needed insurance for a Ji type player we can unleash to stifle opponents.

So why not this guy... supposedly almost 6'11 long athletic etc etc... then i read comments that this dude wants to be an offensive type player aka chuck 3s and doesnt have the bbiq.... sooo naaaaaah

We will see though, people paid to scout him are def better than me in evaluating so who knows.

Sooo he is more Christian Wood than JI? Haha
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,934

Post#710 » by RookieStar » Sat May 11, 2024 1:24 am

fendilim wrote:
RookieStar wrote:

Sooo he is more Christian Wood than JI? Haha

Well.... mindset probably but Smith is reputed to be in the Gafford mold aka pogo sticks for legs.

Who knows really... lets see the combine first
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,119

Post#711 » by yoyojw17 » Sat May 11, 2024 5:41 am

drsd wrote:
T-Cat wrote:
Read on Twitter

We all loved players. I was totally down for Shai as well (I love multi positional guards with high basketball IQ, skilled, stat stuffing with two-way potential).... But no bamba did pass the eye test... And from an advanced metric standpoint was a great impact on his team (basketball reference per 100 possession 118 ortg and 89 drtg).... But who would have known that his motor would have been this low after coming into the league. The guy had everything to possibly have a gobert type impact on the defensive end and more upside in the offensive. Throw him with JI and you had the making of a big front court along with AG that could have been formidable in my opinion with a scoring backcourt. The vision was there.... But AG though he was the next kawhi, Isaac became injured all the time and bamba plainly just did not pan out to have been hat was projected.

But still ... Yup ... I would love me some shai..... And so would probably the 10 teams that DIDN'T take him as well. Lol
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,119

Post#712 » by yoyojw17 » Sat May 11, 2024 5:55 am

Who is a big strong and Uber athletic guard in this draft with 3 level scoring potential.... A la Anthony Edwards... Haha... Just saw an Instagram post of him looking like he was about to end John Collins career. Lol... I wanna see that on our team next year if we get a guard via free agency or trade and can swing for the fences with the 1st round pick. Doubt that player will last .... But maybe there is a 21+ year old that isn't taken as high.

Haven't been looking at many prospects ... But now that the season is over...and the tears have dried.... I guess it's time. Haha

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6nVJDDMpR9/?igsh=MXUycWQxbDZmb3p3bg==
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,406

Post#713 » by pepe1991 » Sat May 11, 2024 8:31 am

yoyojw17 wrote:Who is a big strong and Uber athletic guard in this draft with 3 level scoring potential.... A la Anthony Edwards... Haha... Just saw an Instagram post of him looking like he was about to end John Collins career. Lol... I wanna see that on our team next year if we get a guard via free agency or trade and can swing for the fences with the 1st round pick. Doubt that player will last .... But maybe there is a 21+ year old that isn't taken as high.

Haven't been looking at many prospects ... But now that the season is over...and the tears have dried.... I guess it's time. Haha

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6nVJDDMpR9/?igsh=MXUycWQxbDZmb3p3bg==

Cody Williams , just trade Black, Franz and few picks to draft him 1# :lol:
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Skybox
RealGM

Post#714 » by Skybox » Sat May 11, 2024 10:39 am

yoyojw17 wrote:
drsd wrote:
T-Cat wrote:
Read on Twitter

We all loved players. I was totally down for Shai as well (I love multi positional guards with high basketball IQ, skilled, stat stuffing with two-way potential).... But no bamba did pass the eye test... And from an advanced metric standpoint was a great impact on his team (basketball reference per 100 possession 118 ortg and 89 drtg).... But who would have known that his motor would have been this low after coming into the league. The guy had everything to possibly have a gobert type impact on the defensive end and more upside in the offensive. Throw him with JI and you had the making of a big front court along with AG that could have been formidable in my opinion with a scoring backcourt. The vision was there.... But AG though he was the next kawhi, Isaac became injured all the time and bamba plainly just did not pan out to have been hat was projected.

But still ... Yup ... I would love me some shai..... And so would probably the 10 teams that DIDN'T take him as well. Lol

I’d bring Bamba back on a vet min as 3rd C, rather than pay Goga- if Goga has suitors. Bamba’s not going to rise again to his draft expectation, but he might have good minutes in him…he could shoot, he could block shots, he could rebound. His defense was suspect, his pick-setting was dainty, and his other offense was non-existent. Having said that, Mose did have some time with him, so he would know if that’s a side project worth pursuing. A humbled, healthy, under-the-radar, low-expectations Bamba might be a surprising no-risk pick up for frontcourt depth. If he was in the draft we’d take him again.
T-Cat
Sixth Man

Post#715 » by T-Cat » Sat May 11, 2024 2:53 pm

Skybox wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:
drsd wrote:

I’d bring Bamba back on a vet min as 3rd C, rather than pay Goga- if Goga has suitors. Bamba’s not going to rise again to his draft expectation, but he might have good minutes in him…he could shoot, he could block shots, he could rebound. His defense was suspect, his pick-setting was dainty, and his other offense was non-existent. Having said that, Mose did have some time with him, so he would know if that’s a side project worth pursuing. A humbled, healthy, under-the-radar, low-expectations Bamba might be a surprising no-risk pick up for frontcourt depth. If he was in the draft we’d take him again.

I've always liked Bamba as a prospect but he is simply not motivated unless he's playing heavy minutes! On top of that, he doesn't play hard and box out when on the court! I rather take D12 with the minimum because you know he's going to play with much better effort and it's a great marketing partnership.

I'll draft Chomche and put him in the G League for next season! Also trade for Reed Sheppard if we are able too.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,953

Post#716 » by basketballRob » Sat May 11, 2024 3:33 pm

T-Cat wrote:
Skybox wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:

I've always liked Bamba as a prospect but he is simply not motivated unless he's playing heavy minutes! On top of that, he doesn't play hard and box out when on the court! I rather take D12 with the minimum because you know he's going to play with much better effort and it's a great marketing partnership.

I'll draft Chomche and put him in the G League for next season! Also trade for Reed Sheppard if we are able too.
Bamba has outplayed Dwight every time I've seen them play against each other.

MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,285

Post#717 » by MagicMatic » Sat May 11, 2024 4:41 pm

Lmao this thread turning into Bamba copium.

A few of us said you should absolutely no longer consider true Centers with top lottery picks unless you believe they are undoubtedly generational talent in 2017-2018. That hasn’t changed.

People still won’t learn their lessons years later. The chances you take a Center over switchable wings/guards and end up with more value is extremely slim. Then I’ll listen to some idiot saying Edey is a better pick for reasons.

Bamba was never going to be good. “Motor” issues or not.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#718 » by Skybox » Sat May 11, 2024 5:04 pm

basketballRob wrote:
T-Cat wrote:
Skybox wrote:

Bamba has outplayed Dwight every time I've seen them play against each other.

That's a thread of it's own...Bamba or Dwight for the 12th man spot, on a vet min?

I'm Team Bamba because
A) even if he sucks, he'll sit quietly and not disturb the real players. We don't need a loudmouth moron for a "mentor" like D12. I just don't see Dwight walking into the locker room thinking he's not an important player on the team...maybe most important
B) I disagree with T-Cat re: Bamba and heavy minutes...he was the "per 36" world heavyweight champ until we moved Vuc out of the way and revealed how weak Bamba was.
C) he can and will, happily, camp on the perimeter and make open 3's rather than clog the paint, calling for the ball
D) if it's an obvious fail, he goes away quietly - Dwight would spend more time giving idiotic interviews than playing

Before anyone goes too crazy about this...I'm talking 3rd String, vet min non-guaranteed, no-risk
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,406

Post#719 » by pepe1991 » Sat May 11, 2024 7:02 pm

Bamba ? :lol:

Bring Harkless as well
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
T-Cat
Sixth Man

Post#720 » by T-Cat » Sat May 11, 2024 8:03 pm

Draft lottery is Sunday and we need the Pistons to get into 3-5 range because we can make a deal for their pick and select Reed Sheppard!

Return to Orlando Magic