ImageImageImageImage

Do you think Franz Wagner should get a Max or not?

Moderators: UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass

Should Franz Wagner be signed to a max contract?

Yes
42%
No
58%

Total votes: 69

eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,604

Re: Do you think Franz Wagner should get a Max or not? 

Post#141 » by eyriq » Tue May 14, 2024 2:22 am

Read on Twitter
?t=HcsylclIMUvg_aX8UnT40Q&s=19
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,044

Post#142 » by drsd » Tue May 14, 2024 7:42 am

eyriq wrote:
Read on Twitter

Smith not in the top10: ouch
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,276

Post#143 » by JBSouthpaw » Tue May 14, 2024 11:56 am

eyriq wrote:
Read on Twitter

Pretty big disparity between Franz and #2.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#144 » by eyriq » Tue May 14, 2024 12:26 pm

JBSouthpaw wrote:
eyriq wrote:
Read on Twitter

Pretty big disparity between Franz and #2.
Franz is leading his team to wins.
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 727

Post#145 » by RichCollab » Tue May 14, 2024 12:47 pm

Be careful what you ask for.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,938

Post#146 » by Knightro » Tue May 14, 2024 1:49 pm

Franz is a fascinating case between analytics and the eye test.

Analytics say he's a superstar. An efficient, two-way player who doesn't make many mistakes. And the Magic have played tremendously better any time he's on the floor and significantly worse any time he's off the floor.

Eye test says he can't make threes, doesn't really do anything in the midrange and struggles against better competition, specifically defenses that are capable of being very physical with him.

So which side is more correct?
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,958

Post#147 » by basketballRob » Tue May 14, 2024 3:10 pm

Knightro wrote:Franz is a fascinating case between analytics and the eye test.

Analytics say he's a superstar. An efficient, two-way player who doesn't make many mistakes. And the Magic have played tremendously better any time he's on the floor and significantly worse any time he's off the floor.

Eye test says he can't make threes, doesn't really do anything in the midrange and struggles against better competition, specifically defenses that are capable of being very physical with him.

I saw a guy who couldn't make shots this season and at many times resembled Markelle on offense.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#148 » by Knightro » Tue May 14, 2024 3:30 pm

basketballRob wrote:I saw a guy who couldn't make shots this season and at many times resembled Markelle on offense.

Oh Rob.

I get that you were not a big fan of Franz's 3PT regression, none of us were, but to suggest he "many times resembled Markelle on offense" just feels wildly over the top.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#149 » by eyriq » Tue May 14, 2024 4:08 pm

Three point regression is really the only soft spot on his resume, alongside concerns about being a front-runner.

Considering his success in the world cup I'm not really that concerned about him being a front-runner.

Considering he shot 35 & 36 percent from three the last two seasons, I'm not really concerned about his three point shooting.

Even with those concerns, he projects as a top 50 player and a top 10 small forward. If he addresses those concerns? He's top 20, an all-star, and a top 4 small forward.
The-Stallion70
Bench Warmer
And1: 430

Post#150 » by The-Stallion70 » Tue May 14, 2024 5:58 pm

There are a ton of variables here that could explain one thing or another but Franz is a big wing who mainly scores by driving to the basket. When he doesn't drive to the basket he usually takes a three(still more efficient at 28% than most midrange shots overall). This can make his ts% look better.

However, Franz relies extremely heavily on his ability to get to the basket. The Cavs executed the gameplan of taking away his drive at all costs so I believe this is mainly why he struggled once he was forced to take other shots. He will simply pass the ball if he doesn't get all the way to the basket.

Paolo by comparison doesn't get to the basket as easily as Franz because of footspeed or whatever but the shots he does take instead, midrange or whatever, are harder for the defense to take away so it is easier for him to get his 22ppg on 54ts%.
thelead wrote:I have a memory like an elephant.
The-Stallion70
Bench Warmer
And1: 430

Post#151 » by The-Stallion70 » Tue May 14, 2024 6:57 pm

eyriq wrote:he projects as a top 50 player and a top 10 small forward.

He is probably within these thresholds right now rather than projecting to be.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-top-100-player-rankings-nikola-jokic-stephen-curry-giannis-eye-no-1-lebron-james-falls-out-of-top-10/

CBS Had him above Paolo at 47 at the beginning of the season, so based on last year's stats.
thelead wrote:I have a memory like an elephant.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#152 » by basketballRob » Tue May 14, 2024 7:21 pm

Knightro wrote:
basketballRob wrote:I saw a guy who couldn't make shots this season and at many times resembled Markelle on offense.

Oh Rob.

I get that you were not a big fan of Franz's 3PT regression, none of us were, but to suggest he "many times resembled Markelle on offense" just feels wildly over the top.
I was watching something different. He would, at times, pass on the outside shot and drive into a wall of defenders. It was painful to watch.

Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,154

Post#153 » by Residual-Heat » Tue May 14, 2024 7:26 pm

For me, the eye test still puts him near the top if not the best in his draft.

He's not a superstar for sure, but really not that far from being an all-star either. I think if he can just get back to his normal 3pt% and the Magic are a top 4 seed, he'll likely make the all-star team. Add a midrange game maybe in a few years and he has potential to become a 25-5-5 guy. we only saw this for a couple of NBA games (and when he plays for the German national team), but he needs to bring this back:

;pp=ygURZnJhbnogd2FnbmVyIGRpcms%3D
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#154 » by Knightro » Tue May 14, 2024 7:35 pm

It can't be overstated how much some of the advanced stats absolutely love Franz.

RAPTOR (which no longer exists through 538, but was updated manually by Neil Payne on substack here: https://neilpaine.substack.com/p/nba-estimated-raptor-player-ratings) had Franz as the 22nd best player in the NBA.

LEBRON had him as the 25th best player in the NBA.

EPM had him as the 32nd best player in the NBA.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,418

Post#155 » by pepe1991 » Tue May 14, 2024 7:37 pm

Jamal Murray is neither allstar nor superstar yet he is awesome player. This "boxing" players in categories is usless and pointless.

Franz is our at times best player.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#156 » by basketballRob » Tue May 14, 2024 7:39 pm

pepe1991 wrote:Jamal Murray is neither allstar nor superstar yet he is awesome player. This "boxing" players in categories is usless and pointless.

So was Jonathan isaac.

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#157 » by Knightro » Tue May 14, 2024 7:50 pm

basketballRob wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:Jamal Murray is neither allstar nor superstar yet he is awesome player. This "boxing" players in categories is usless and pointless.

So was Jonathan isaac.

I mean... yes?

Jonathan Isaac absolutely was the Magic's most impactful player on a per minute basis in many games this past season.

Obviously his overall impact and ceiling is capped due to the fact he was only able to play 58 games and 16 MPG, but he was insanely productive in those 58 games and 16 minutes per game.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,506

Post#158 » by MagicFan101 » Tue May 14, 2024 7:59 pm

Why not both?

I think the eye test is a better indicator of the reality of today whereas the advanced analytics more heavily weight key factors which matter on a longer term trajectory. The features in these analytics models might be applied on point in time, game wise or annual data but they are created and aggregated over long running periods.

It is a good sign for future development that the advanced stats favor Franz. Let’s hope he keeps up the fight and continues to work hard.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#159 » by eyriq » Tue May 14, 2024 8:07 pm

The-Stallion70 wrote:
eyriq wrote:he projects as a top 50 player and a top 10 small forward.

He is probably within these thresholds right now rather than projecting to be.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-top-100-player-rankings-nikola-jokic-stephen-curry-giannis-eye-no-1-lebron-james-falls-out-of-top-10/

CBS Had him above Paolo at 47 at the beginning of the season, so based on last year's stats.
Hmmm, true, lol he's already there. It's wild he's so good
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 727

Post#160 » by RichCollab » Tue May 14, 2024 8:15 pm

Franz eye test is good to great on defense and good on offense if you don’t focus on the small percentage of times he struggled.

Return to Orlando Magic