ImageImageImageImage

RFA Immanuel Quickley, PG

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,665

Re: RFA Immanuel Quickley, PG 

Post#21 » by Skin » Wed May 15, 2024 5:39 am

Knightro wrote:
eyriq wrote:Not that interested. Monk and Russell probably give you similar production.

I tend to agree.

I do like Quickley, but it feels like he's worth 20-25M AAV.

Definitely couldn't go to $38M AAV which is what his max would be.

Anything under 30 and I think Toronto for sure matches.

Anything under 35, I think they hold their nose and still match.

Russell is a scary investment. He has a history of wrecking locker rooms and frustrating teammates and even friends. HIs numbers are nice, but I don't know if he plays a winning brand of basketball. I really don't think that if we are bringing in a vet who will be 28 next season, that he would be the one. I would go Tyus over D'Angelo.

Based on value, Monk should be cheaper, but that's insignificant imo. I'd rather have the better shooter, passer, defender, with some untapped potential in Quickley. He's really gonna breakout next season as a full time starter. However, $30M per year would be my max. 4 years, $120M. Is Toronto willing to match that? Bet we could get him for less tbh.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,870

Post#22 » by Skybox » Wed May 15, 2024 11:16 am

He’s been discussed. I know I posted a LOT of trades for him and NYK fans refused to accept that he would be moved. My contention was always that he can’t start next to Brunson and he’s about to get starter pay. He may have been my #1 target until TOR swooped in. NYK wanted win-now and we didn’t have anyone like OG. TOR will match just about anything. This ship sailed.

He’s an excellent defender…that’s not Monk or Russell. They are probably more prolific scorers, but IQ can put up points too.

It’s (was) a somewhat similar to Simon’s’ situation…Simons, like IQ, is too good and too well-paid, to be third guard…but isn’t a good fit with either of the starters. In Simon’s’ case, he’s the best player they have, but they’re rebuilding and Scoot & Sharpe are the future backcourt in POR.
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 727

Post#23 » by RichCollab » Wed May 15, 2024 11:44 am

Skybox wrote:He’s been discussed. I know I posted a LOT of trades for him and NYK fans refused to accept that he would be moved. My contention was always that he can’t start next to Brunson and he’s about to get starter pay. He may have been my #1 target until TOR swooped in. NYK wanted win-now and we didn’t have anyone like OG. TOR will match just about anything. This ship sailed.

He’s an excellent defender…that’s not Monk or Russell. They are probably more prolific scorers, but IQ can put up points too.

It’s (was) a somewhat similar to Simon’s’ situation…Simons, like IQ, is too good and too well-paid, to be third guard…but isn’t a good fit with either of the starters. In Simon’s’ case, he’s the best player they have, but they’re rebuilding and Scoot & Sharpe are the future backcourt in POR.

Any stats that prove he is an excellent defender?
Skybox
RealGM

Post#24 » by Skybox » Wed May 15, 2024 11:55 am

RichCollab wrote:
Skybox wrote:He’s been discussed. I know I posted a LOT of trades for him and NYK fans refused to accept that he would be moved. My contention was always that he can’t start next to Brunson and he’s about to get starter pay. He may have been my #1 target until TOR swooped in. NYK wanted win-now and we didn’t have anyone like OG. TOR will match just about anything. This ship sailed.

Lots of YouTube videos…one particular one I referenced months ago…title was something like “Can a smaller guard (something) team defense?”…very technical breakdown of how instinctively he moves players around and out of preferred positions. It had me thinking how nasty it would combine with Suggs’ fiery intensity in a young backcourt. Two young, exceptional defenders with complementary styles on both ends…(sigh) :-?
RichCollab
Starter

Post#25 » by RichCollab » Wed May 15, 2024 12:20 pm

Skybox wrote:
RichCollab wrote:

Lots of YouTube videos…one particular one I referenced months ago…title was something like “Can a smaller guard (something) team defense?”…very technical breakdown of how instinctively he moves players around and out of preferred positions. It had me thinking how nasty it would combine with Suggs’ fiery intensity in a young backcourt. Two young, exceptional defenders with complementary styles on both ends…(sigh) :-?

He seems to play defense some of the time but not often. He positive signs in his stats / advanced stats?

Cole could be made to look like a great defender with video highlights
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,919

Post#26 » by Knightro » Wed May 15, 2024 1:00 pm

Quickley's defensive stats fell off a cliff once he was traded to Toronto.

The question is.... was that decline just a result of going from a hard nosed, defense first, playoff team to a team that was tanking or was it the result of going from 24 MPG as a backup to 33 MPG as a starter?
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 712

Post#27 » by JoshuaPotter » Wed May 15, 2024 1:09 pm

Knightro wrote:Quickley's defensive stats fell off a cliff once he was traded to Toronto.

The question is.... was that decline just a result of going from a hard nosed, defense first, playoff team to a team that was tanking or was it the result of going from 24 MPG as a backup to 33 MPG as a starter?

Neither, or maybe one of, or possibly both.

Getting him as an asset isn't going to happen but I do like him for what it is worth.

Much like for example Fultz / Harris. Both aren't stellar defenders but once bought in the whole 5 man rotation is a defensive dynamo. IQ has proven he has the tools physically.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#28 » by Skybox » Wed May 15, 2024 1:23 pm

Knightro wrote:Quickley's defensive stats fell off a cliff once he was traded to Toronto.

Thibs effect, like Mose is real...but, Quickley was exceptional - not like Suggs, but not in the conversation with some of the others we're discussing either (Simons, Monk, Russell...)
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,119

Post#29 » by yoyojw17 » Wed May 15, 2024 2:36 pm

$20-25 mill is the most I would think he was worth on the open market.... As a RFA I can't see us dropping excess money to attempt to pry him away. Maybe $28 would be my limit that if Toronto didn't match and we took him ... I can swallow ... More than that I think there will be too much additional risk/uncertainty. And most likely they would match that anyways. Haha

But yeah... He was definitely one of my favorite trade options. Makes our already great defense better... **** the ball well.... And facilitated.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,418

Post#30 » by pepe1991 » Wed May 15, 2024 2:57 pm

Problem with getting Quickley comes from fact that Raptors don't have lottery pick in 2024 so they kind a have to hold onto Quickley no matter what, or at least until they draft new PG.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Magic#1
General Manager
And1: 1,115

Post#31 » by Magic#1 » Wed May 15, 2024 4:07 pm

Residual-Heat wrote:I agree with what Knightro and Eyriq said.

I will also add that even though he had this reputation of being a good defender, i feel his defense kind of got exposed when he became a starter. He clearly lacks strength.

We shouldnt be overpaying him, nor do i want to give up any decent assets for him.

If you want someone that gives you 40+% 3pt shooting and good playmaking with a low assist:TO ratio, another option is Malcolm Brogdon. He's very injury prone, but we can limit his minutes and that will allow Black and Howard to play more. He isnt the answer long term, nor would he be my first option, but he's definitely better than nothing.

I've loved Brogdon for us. I imagine he'd be even cheaper as an expiring. Right now, he's a starter for us and makes us better. Ideally, he would be a spaceholder for AB. Then we could even re-sign him for a reasonable deal for when AB takes over.
Skin
RealGM

Post#32 » by Skin » Wed May 15, 2024 5:56 pm

pepe1991 wrote:Problem with getting Quickley comes from fact that Raptors don't have lottery pick in 2024 so they kind a have to hold onto Quickley no matter what, or at least until they draft new PG.

S&T, ship them Cole and Denver 1st.
Skin
RealGM

Post#33 » by Skin » Wed May 15, 2024 6:11 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:$20-25 mill is the most I would think he was worth on the open market.... As a RFA I can't see us dropping excess money to attempt to pry him away. Maybe $28 would be my limit that if Toronto didn't match and we took him ... I can swallow ... More than that I think there will be too much additional risk/uncertainty. And most likely they would match that anyways. Haha

But yeah... He was definitely one of my favorite trade options. Makes our already great defense better... **** the ball well.... And facilitated.

If you feel that he is going to be our PG of the future and the perfect piece to grow with our guys then $28M vs $30M ... not that big of a difference.

4 years, $112M vs 4 years, $130M

The more I think of it though, I don't think Weltman would do it. Just hearing him talk about keeping our "North Star in place", I don't think he will make any big splashes in FA. Maybe a $15-18M per year deal type player.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#34 » by Skybox » Wed May 15, 2024 6:52 pm

RichCollab wrote:
Skybox wrote:
RichCollab wrote:

He seems to play defense some of the time but not often. He positive signs in his stats / advanced stats?

You could do it even easier with advanced stats if you play on a great defensive team.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#35 » by Skybox » Wed May 15, 2024 6:56 pm

Skin wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:Problem with getting Quickley comes from fact that Raptors don't have lottery pick in 2024 so they kind a have to hold onto Quickley no matter what, or at least until they draft new PG.

S&T, ship them Cole and Denver 1st.

That wouldn't be enough - I'd add #18 this year and still expect a no. But, if there is genuine interest, I'd say talk to TOR FO before you even bother with IQ's people. SnT is the only way you get him without a ridiculous overpay...I don't think it's even worth a phone call, but Weltman can have a rookie staffer to at least ask.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#36 » by Skybox » Wed May 15, 2024 6:58 pm

Magic#1 wrote:

I will also add that even though he had this reputation of being a good defender, i feel his defense kind of got exposed when he became a starter. He clearly lacks strength.

We shouldnt be overpaying him, nor do i want to give up any decent assets for him.

If you want someone that gives you 40+% 3pt shooting and good playmaking with a low assist:TO ratio, another option is Malcolm Brogdon. He's very injury prone, but we can limit his minutes and that will allow Black and Howard to play more. He isnt the answer long term, nor would he be my first option, but he's definitely better than nothing.

I've loved Brogdon for us. I imagine he'd be even cheaper as an expiring. Right now, he's a starter for us and makes us better. Ideally, he would be a spaceholder for AB. Then we could even re-sign him for a reasonable deal for when AB takes over.

Brogdon is a little down my list but only because of age and, to a lesser extent, injury history (which isn't really recent). He's as good a 2-way fit as ANY of the players we are bouncing around but he's probably not looked at as a real investment in the core going forward. Definitely worth talking to-it's not like he can't play for 4 more years...just need to know how he feels about his career arc, role, Florida, etc.
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#37 » by The Effect » Wed May 15, 2024 7:06 pm

Skin wrote:
The Effect wrote:Much like everyone else, I cant see any possible way the raptors let him leave

I didn't think McGrady would leave Toronto.

Thats like lakers fans saying "we should sign Paolo", "orlando would never let him leave"........"Well i didnt think they would let shaq leave orlando"

Sure its the same organization, but everything else is different, Really has nothing to do with the current situation or player.
RichCollab
Starter

Post#38 » by RichCollab » Wed May 15, 2024 8:25 pm

Skybox wrote:
RichCollab wrote:
Skybox wrote:

You could do it even easier with advanced stats if you play on a great defensive team.

He played for Thibs. So there is no data to support he is a great defensive player?
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,185

Post#39 » by tiderulz » Wed May 15, 2024 8:40 pm

Skybox wrote:
Magic#1 wrote:

Brogdon is a little down my list but only because of age and, to a lesser extent, injury history (which isn't really recent). He's as good a 2-way fit as ANY of the players we are bouncing around but he's probably not looked at as a real investment in the core going forward. Definitely worth talking to-it's not like he can't play for 4 more years...just need to know how he feels about his career arc, role, Florida, etc.

not recent? he played 39 of 82 games this year.
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,943

Post#40 » by Rainwater » Wed May 15, 2024 9:02 pm

Skin wrote:
The Effect wrote:Much like everyone else, I cant see any possible way the raptors let him leave

I didn't think McGrady would leave Toronto.

These are different situations. If I remember correctly everyone knew that thatMagic had a great shot at signing T-Mac, Hill, and Duncan. It also helped that T-Mac was from the Orlando area and loved Penny. There is very little chance that Quickly signs here.

Return to Orlando Magic