ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 5.0

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,152

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 5.0 

Post#521 » by Residual-Heat » Wed May 15, 2024 3:24 am

QMemphis wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:
QMemphis wrote:
Kennard/25 1st/27 LP 1st for Wendell should be enough assets to add to the Nuggets pick to get Simon’s or another guard you prefer via trade. Also you can unite Wagner brothers with fellow countryman IHart

Simons/Suggs/Franz/Poaolo/IHart
Black/Anthony/Kennard/JI/Mo

That’s a well balanced roster and you retain all your picks for an all in move down the line.

Simons is overrated. He's not worth 3 picks. #18 and Denver pick should be more than enough if the Magic trade for him, and frankly even thats an overpay. Lets be honest, on most winning teams he's a 6th man. An undersized SG. He isnt more valuable than Terry Rozier who got traded for one first (and many believe Miami overpaid for him).

I cant speak for all Magic fans but Vince Williams Jr intrigues me even if he's not exactly what we need. I was unable to see enough of him to really have a strong opinion, so will have to watch more of his games, but I liked what little I saw from him.

I will say that I think Kennard 25 1st and 27 1st is a decent offer and much better than the trash offers I see on the trades board.

Edit: I also agree with Knightro. Magic are going to have to have another center signed (Hartenstein or Claxton, im fine with either)

I can tell you with great certainty that Vince is awesome and not available for trade. I offered a more than reasonable deal with a shooter rotation player at a true weakness for your team and picks to get you another starting caliber player. Then also suggested a center your team can outbid for to replace the player you are trading. Not much more can be done than that lol.

I said I think the last offer (Kennard, 25 1st, 27LP) is decent. I'm just not really a fan of giving up so many assets for Simons. Id keep the picks and see if they can be packaged for another good starter later on.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,980

Post#522 » by thelead » Wed May 15, 2024 3:26 am

Knightro wrote:I don't think they will, but if the Magic truly wanted to get nuts, they could let Fultz, Harris, Okeke and Goga all walk and decline Ingles' option to get to 43M in cap space and sign both Monk and Hartenstein.

G: Monk, Anthony, Black
G: Suggs, Howard
F: F. Wagner, Houstan
F: Banchero, Isaac, da Silva (2024 1st)
C: Hartenstein, Carter, M. Wagner, Bona (2024 2nd)

Carter becomes prime trade bait at that point to add another 2/3 to the mix. Maybe that Kennard and two 1sts idea that the Grizzlies poster suggested earlier.

this IS the way. It's not even that hard to do nor super creative :lol:
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,919

Post#523 » by Knightro » Wed May 15, 2024 3:29 am

What about something like Carter to OKC for one of their young snipers - Wiggins or Joe?

Both team will be under the cap once the summer rolls around, so matching salary isn't necessary.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,152

Post#524 » by Residual-Heat » Wed May 15, 2024 3:33 am

Id trade him for Joe but not Wiggins.
thelead
RealGM

Post#525 » by thelead » Wed May 15, 2024 3:38 am

One thing to note as we look to add guards, we need to figure out how to get Howard and AB into the regular rotation at some point. They are both young and can't be expected to play winning ball yet but it's not just going to happen without reps.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#526 » by Knightro » Wed May 15, 2024 3:40 am

thelead wrote:One thing to note as we look to add guards, we need to figure out how to get Howard and AB into the regular rotation at some point. They are both young and can't be expected to play winning ball yet but it's not just going to happen without reps.

Well therein lies a huge problem.

If the Magic do add a guard, point guard or shooting guard, the odds of Black and Howard being in the rotation next year go down significantly.

Unless they trade Cole...
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#527 » by Knightro » Wed May 15, 2024 3:52 am

Suggs and Cole are both locks to play (assuming Cole is back, which I don't see why he wouldn't be)

Any guard addition, whether that's a free agent or trade, presumably is going to be a starter opposite Suggs.

That leaves scrap minutes for Black and basically nothing for Jett (assuming Ingles isn't let go either).

Especially because it also seems likely, given how effective he was last year, that the Magic will continue to use bigger lineups with Isaac at the 4 with a center and Franz/Paolo each sliding up a spot.
thelead
RealGM

Post#528 » by thelead » Wed May 15, 2024 4:02 am

I’m somewhat depressed that we could have 43 mil in space and the best guard in FA is Monk. Next summer has guys like Donovan Mitchell, Jamal Murray, and Derrick White. Maybe we don’t have a shot at any of them but it would be nice to at least have a chance to sign players like that instead of Monk.

Edit: FA is mostly dead though. Those guys I listed might not even make it to next summer without a new contract. Draft and trades are the name of the game these days.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,418

Post#529 » by pepe1991 » Wed May 15, 2024 5:22 am

thelead wrote:I’m somewhat depressed that we could have 43 mil in space and the best guard in FA is Monk. Next summer has guys like Donovan Mitchell, Jamal Murray, and Derrick White. Maybe we don’t have a shot at any of them but it would be nice to at least have a chance to sign players like that instead of Monk.

Edit: FA is mostly dead though. Those guys I listed might not even make it to next summer without a new contract. Draft and trades are the name of the game these days.

Yup. Vast majority of players don't even hit free agency any more , or at least not in a fashion it used to be
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,577

Post#530 » by Bensational » Wed May 15, 2024 7:46 am

Caruso would be such a great addition to the team. He'd fit the energy of the team instantly, and help improve our shooting and backcourt playmaking.

I can see Chicago making some big changes this offseason and he might get caught up in it as an expiring. If he does, I hope we pounce.
I Rasharted
Sixth Man
And1: 855

Post#531 » by I Rasharted » Wed May 15, 2024 10:20 am

Skin wrote:
I Rasharted wrote:
Skin wrote:You guys willing to give up Suggs or Franz for Ingram?

Not even I would trade Suggs for Ingram. Fit don't make no sense.

Yeah, my point is that it doesn't make sense for NOR either. They aren't trading him for Wendell Carter, Cole Anthony and our DEN 1st hahaha :lol:

Truf.
basketballRob wrote:Another good benefit about eating plants is that the artery going to your penis gets unclogged and starts flowing real good.
anothermagicfan
Junior
And1: 235

Post#532 » by anothermagicfan » Wed May 15, 2024 11:28 am

Can someone explain salary matching with trades. I don't really understand all the rules of it and more specifically do those rules for salary matching change with draft day trades? For example could we trade 18 and a couple of players on contracts like Cole and Carter for a couple of draft picks in future years to get more cap space for this year? Not that I'm suggesting that I just don't know how that works.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,871

Post#533 » by Skybox » Wed May 15, 2024 11:50 am

Knightro wrote:
thelead wrote:One thing to note as we look to add guards, we need to figure out how to get Howard and AB into the regular rotation at some point. They are both young and can't be expected to play winning ball yet but it's not just going to happen without reps.

Well therein lies a huge problem.

If the Magic do add a guard, point guard or shooting guard, the odds of Black and Howard being in the rotation next year go down significantly.

Unless they trade Cole...

I like Cole well enough, but I also think what we REALLY need is a better player who is similar to Cole. A scoring combo guard who can do a little of everything and take over a game, or at least a quarter with his scoring…but more reliably and with more generation of offense for teammates. I think I just described Monk, Simons, or Russell…so, if we score that kind of upgrade, I prefer a different kind of guy off the bench (in a significant role)- that could be AB or Tyus or Brogdon, depending on the preference and availability…but, yeah, bringing in 2 guards might mean a Cole move…I would think he has some trade value if frontcourt vet depth was the goal.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,153

Post#534 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Wed May 15, 2024 12:00 pm

RichCollab wrote:
QMemphis wrote:
eyriq wrote:Kennard and your lotto pick?

What about Kennard/25 1st/3 2nds for WCJ

We don’t need more draft picks. Also, Kennard has average 32 games the past 3 seasons.

This deal is DOA.

That’s not correct, 22-23 he played on 3 teams which makes it hard to figure out. StatMuse helps though. Averages out to 56 a year which isn’t great but it’s not 32. He’s basically got the availability of WCJ

21-22 he played 70 games + 15 playoff games
22-23 he played 59 games + 5 playoff games
23-24 he played 39 games
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
Trillen
Rookie
And1: 156

Post#535 » by Trillen » Wed May 15, 2024 12:04 pm

anothermagicfan wrote:Can someone explain salary matching with trades. I don't really understand all the rules of it and more specifically do those rules for salary matching change with draft day trades? For example could we trade 18 and a couple of players on contracts like Cole and Carter for a couple of draft picks in future years to get more cap space for this year? Not that I'm suggesting that I just don't know how that works.

If we traded guys like Cole or WCJ away without taking back salary, it would increase our cap space. Or if we took guys back on smaller contracts, we'd have more cap space than before.

It's actually pretty simple. The cap in 2024-25 is $141m. To find how much space you have you simply look at how much in guaranteed contracts or cap holds you currently have. (Cap holds being 130-190% estimates of the player's previous year's salary until you either re-sign them or renounce your bird rights)

Denying Ingles' $11m option gives us $11m more in cap space, etc.
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 727

Post#536 » by RichCollab » Wed May 15, 2024 12:21 pm

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
RichCollab wrote:
QMemphis wrote:
What about Kennard/25 1st/3 2nds for WCJ

We don’t need more draft picks. Also, Kennard has average 32 games the past 3 seasons.

This deal is DOA.

That’s not correct, 22-23 he played on 3 teams which makes it hard to figure out. StatMuse helps though. Averages out to 56 a year which isn’t great but it’s not 32. He’s basically got the availability of WCJ

23-24 he played 39 games

I checked regular season ESPN and misread it.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,153

Post#537 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Wed May 15, 2024 12:26 pm

RichCollab wrote:
MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
RichCollab wrote:

This deal is DOA.

23-24 he played 39 games

I checked regular season ESPN and misread it.

Oh yeah it’s very easy to do that’s for sure
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#538 » by Knightro » Wed May 15, 2024 12:42 pm

anothermagicfan wrote:Can someone explain salary matching with trades. I don't really understand all the rules of it and more specifically do those rules for salary matching change with draft day trades? For example could we trade 18 and a couple of players on contracts like Cole and Carter for a couple of draft picks in future years to get more cap space for this year? Not that I'm suggesting that I just don't know how that works.

Without getting into the deep specifics...

When both teams are at or over the salary cap and they decide to make a trade, the salaries involved in a trade have to more or less match.

When one team is significantly under the cap and can absorb contracts, then those rules don't apply.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,871

Post#539 » by Skybox » Wed May 15, 2024 1:33 pm

Knightro wrote:

Without getting into the deep specifics...

When both teams are at or over the salary cap and they decide to make a trade, the salaries involved in a trade have to more or less match.

When one team is significantly under the cap and can absorb contracts, then those rules don't apply.

...and with significant financial (as always) and NEW tightening of trade guidelines for teams in the second apron...if you're not contending, you might consider some cap relief a significant "trade asset". Fans don't like that concept because they want tangible improvements, but it's real world stuff GM's will have to consider. It makes it a lot harder for a MIA or LAL or whoever to dig themselves out of a big financial mistake (like a Lavine or Beal type of salary not paying off).

Also, a team like POR is not very good but also over the cap in a non-major market...fans want players, ownership might want a little breathing room financially. Also, if POR GM recognizes that Jerami Grant or Simons or Brogdon aren't part of the "vision", then getting off their salaries is a significant move towards having some flexibility...and avoiding major financial penalties to their bosses. Not saying they would give away good players, but perhaps price is lower than on-court value to another team.

That's why our cap space is so powerful and can be utilized different ways. None of the core guys are expiring, which makes it doubly priceless and makes this summer THE opportunity to take a step. We can make a significant move or two without even going over the cap...most good teams don't have that luxury - those guys are more likely manipulating the cap and going way over to keep their guys...that's going to be MUCH harder by design. I think Silver has prioritized that, to kind of level the field a bit for smaller $$ markets. He's also done a nice job of taking a chunk out of tanking too. Good stuff, imo.
Black and Blue
Sixth Man
And1: 1,462

Post#540 » by Black and Blue » Wed May 15, 2024 2:15 pm

thelead wrote:I’m somewhat depressed that we could have 43 mil in space and the best guard in FA is Monk. Next summer has guys like Donovan Mitchell, Jamal Murray, and Derrick White. Maybe we don’t have a shot at any of them but it would be nice to at least have a chance to sign players like that instead of Monk.

The trade market opens up an additional world of possibilities and some other teams are in sticky spots this offseason. I'm very interested in what happens with Garland as I'm guessing Mitchell has to be the priority for the Cavs. I've also mentioned Detroit's PG situation as a potential buy low trade candidate. You can also throw the Pelicans and Hornets in there as teams that have some interesting players and very much want to do major or minor resets.

The Magic also have an enviable situation in that they may be one of the only teams who have solid draft picks to trade that they likely won't even want to use, AND an extra first round pick from last year in Jett Howard that they can dangle in a trade (which for the purposes of PR looks good for a team to acquire a former first round pick).

I think if this team goes for a high priced free agent in Monk it would mean plans 1-37 fell through. Jones is likely more attainable for a reasonable offer but I think this team is going to try for a splash move if they can pull it off.

Return to Orlando Magic