ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 5.0

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,237

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 5.0 

Post#101 » by cedric76 » Fri May 10, 2024 7:19 pm

If you watch the latest interview of Mosley by JJ , you would understand that JI and Suggs are Going Nowhere

;list=PLKfCn7f_hJhA1iOJeloRnJUetVYRdXBQR

The core is Paolo, Franz, Suggs and JI
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
three3d
Junior
And1: 72

Post#102 » by three3d » Fri May 10, 2024 7:21 pm

eyriq wrote:
Knightro wrote:
eyriq wrote:
Developing in secret? He's been a point guard at every stage of his basketball playing history.

He didn't play a single minute of point guard this season in a game that mattered. That's a problem. What the guy did in high school and college is, frankly, completely irrelevant to where he's at in his NBA development.

If you actually think he's going to do anything but completely stink if they stick him on the ball and tell him to be a point guard next season, you're sadly mistaken.

To be clear, he would have also stunk had the stuck him on the ball this year, but it would have been much more likely he wouldn't have stunk this upcoming season had they just bit the bullet and gotten him the ugly developmental reps he really needed.

Instead they essentially wasted a full year of this kid's development... and for what? Cole sucked and Markelle was hurt and the offense was still terrible.

Nothing tangibly good came out of Black's rookie season.
He played a majority of his minutes as the point guard. His role was 3&D. No evidence he can't handle playmaking duties, only evidence he wasn't asked to.

AB came into the league with questions about his play making ability and if you’re honest with yourself you seen nothing to suggest he’s a creator this season. At Arkansas AB started all of the games and played about 34 minutes per game.
-141 Assists
-109 turnovers for the season
-3.9 apg to 3.0 turnovers per game

That’s absolutely not playmaking and he was playing damn near the entire game. They didn’t even let the kid dribble the ball up the court this season so honestly I have no idea if he even has handles and the ability to shake a defender.
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 599

Post#103 » by MasterGMer » Fri May 10, 2024 7:36 pm

three3d wrote:
eyriq wrote:
Knightro wrote:
He didn't play a single minute of point guard this season in a game that mattered. That's a problem. What the guy did in high school and college is, frankly, completely irrelevant to where he's at in his NBA development.

If you actually think he's going to do anything but completely stink if they stick him on the ball and tell him to be a point guard next season, you're sadly mistaken.

To be clear, he would have also stunk had the stuck him on the ball this year, but it would have been much more likely he wouldn't have stunk this upcoming season had they just bit the bullet and gotten him the ugly developmental reps he really needed.

Instead they essentially wasted a full year of this kid's development... and for what? Cole sucked and Markelle was hurt and the offense was still terrible.

He played a majority of his minutes as the point guard. His role was 3&D. No evidence he can't handle playmaking duties, only evidence he wasn't asked to.

AB came into the league with questions about his play making ability and if you’re honest with yourself you seen nothing to suggest he’s a creator this season. At Arkansas AB started all of the games and played about 34 minutes per game.
-141 Assists

That’s absolutely not playmaking and he was playing damn near the entire game. They didn’t even let the kid dribble the ball up the court this season so honestly I have no idea if he even has handles and the ability to shake a defender.

AB should have taken more offensive loads but he didn't. The reason is he was playing his role. But considering this season that Fultz and Cole didn't play well either this season tells you something. To me, AB is still young but he needs to exceed his expectation soon enough to remain the future commitment from the team. Right now. he just had a below expected season. And he has lots to prove wrong of many fans.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,585

Post#104 » by eyriq » Fri May 10, 2024 7:39 pm

three3d wrote:
eyriq wrote:
Knightro wrote:

-141 Assists

He has issues with his playmaking? I don't remember that at all, it was all about shooting.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#105 » by eyriq » Fri May 10, 2024 7:43 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=7QyMeNs2DBCCnSImMHoxTw&s=19
MasterGMer
Veteran

Post#106 » by MasterGMer » Fri May 10, 2024 7:44 pm

eyriq wrote:
Read on Twitter

Is this guy credible?
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,831

Post#107 » by Skybox » Fri May 10, 2024 7:52 pm

eyriq wrote:
three3d wrote:
eyriq wrote:He played a majority of his minutes as the point guard. His role was 3&D. No evidence he can't handle playmaking duties, only evidence he wasn't asked to.

-141 Assists

He has issues with his playmaking? I don't remember that at all, it was all about shooting.

That’s right…you have to have playmaking to have any issues with it. Isaac didn’t have any issues with his playmaking either :crazy:
Skybox
RealGM

Post#108 » by Skybox » Fri May 10, 2024 7:53 pm

MasterGMer wrote:
eyriq wrote:
Read on Twitter

Is this guy credible?

Completely expected…only his falling apart in the playoffs that might’ve led him to take the safe money.
MasterGMer
Veteran

Post#109 » by MasterGMer » Fri May 10, 2024 7:59 pm

Skybox wrote:
MasterGMer wrote:
eyriq wrote:
Read on Twitter

Is this guy credible?

Completely expected…only his falling apart in the playoffs that might’ve led him to take the safe money.

Everyone is so eager to jump on the Malik Monk and DeJounte Murray train, but we forget about DAngelo Russell. Tbh, Monk is a realistic addition for Magic. But Russell is more plus he knows how to run the point. He just broke Laker 3 point season record. It is going to be quite a debate: Monk or Russell. IMO, Russell is a safer addition.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,201

Post#110 » by zaymon » Fri May 10, 2024 8:15 pm

I dont see Black having impressive playmaking numbers in NBA, college and high school.
If it looks like a cow and moos like a cow its most likely a cow.
I see Black as a big, mobile defender with some playmaking potenial. In best case Iguodala-like. Not run your offense type, nothing suggests it, but very valueable for a contender... if he keeps to shoot 3s.

I am curious to see what Weltman does. I am sure he has his targets and will pull the trigger when they are available. I dont think he will use assets for lesser players. He rarely does.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,934

Post#111 » by RookieStar » Fri May 10, 2024 9:54 pm

eyriq wrote:
three3d wrote:
eyriq wrote:He played a majority of his minutes as the point guard. His role was 3&D. No evidence he can't handle playmaking duties, only evidence he wasn't asked to.

-141 Assists

Its the difference between NCAA and NBA ball my man. I mean.. Suggs was the PG of that GON championship contender but he was probably the worst lotto rookie the year after. Kinda like in the NBA, average PGs could break a full court press by themselves with blindfolds and one hand but in college, the best PGs need help in doing that.

AB in Arkansas had potential like the way Suggs had potential in the PG role. However, Black ( in the few times I watched him cuz I watched George more ) looked more like a connector aka Jingles type than a Kyrie/ Murray/etc playmaker
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,542

Post#112 » by jezzerinho » Fri May 10, 2024 10:15 pm

MasterGMer wrote:
eyriq wrote:
Read on Twitter

Is this guy credible?

Is someone who talks about themselves in the third person credible?

I don't think so either.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,934

Post#113 » by RookieStar » Fri May 10, 2024 10:24 pm

Any of you wants to go the trade and transaction board? There is an interesting discussion there..

Cade Ausar Sarr(???)
For
Franz Black #18
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#114 » by eyriq » Fri May 10, 2024 10:25 pm

RookieStar wrote:Any of you wants to go the trade and transaction board? There is an interesting discussion there..

Cade Ausar Sarr(???)
For
Franz Black #18
Gross
MasterGMer
Veteran

Post#115 » by MasterGMer » Fri May 10, 2024 10:28 pm

RookieStar wrote:Any of you wants to go the trade and transaction board? There is an interesting discussion there..

Cade Ausar Sarr(???)
For
Franz Black #18

Franz is a winner and Ausar can not even crack the rotation in the worst team in the league. Also this is a weak draft. :banghead:
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 38,109

Post#116 » by SOUL » Fri May 10, 2024 10:34 pm

MasterGMer wrote:

Cade Ausar Sarr(???)
For
Franz Black #18

Franz is a winner and Ausar can not even crack the rotation in the worst team in the league. Also this is a weak draft. :banghead:

Not that I would do it (I def wouldn't) - but Ausar was averaging 30 minutes before the blood clot stuff.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,201

Post#117 » by zaymon » Fri May 10, 2024 10:46 pm

SOUL wrote:
MasterGMer wrote:

Cade Ausar Sarr(???)
For
Franz Black #18

Not that I would do it (I def wouldn't) - but Ausar was averaging 30 minutes before the blood clot stuff.

Well its hard to argue perceived value becouse Franz is similar to Cade, Black to Ausar and #1 is better than #18.
I wouldnt do it becouse I believe we build something more than asset value and Franz is definetly a part of that. I think we will lure better players than Cade by sticking to our core.
Cavs take one more game and we look like next coming.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 711

Post#118 » by JoshuaPotter » Fri May 10, 2024 10:48 pm

Skybox wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:It became obvious about 3rd quarter of the season that playing Black was a fluke never intended to happen at all. I think management wanted to see how far the entire roster could go minus development pieces on the back end.

Ended in a g7 of the 1st round. A rousing success if the goal at the start of the year was playin / playoff. If Black in year 2 is better then 1 of Fultz or Harris then regardless of how Knightro / Pepe / or even I feel about it, its a win for management.

Oh and it is cheaper then keeping either long term. Although I personally think we resign Gary Harris. We are not done with his corpse yet.

You make it sound like the #6 overall draft pick is not a significant cost for that degree of "win"

Honestly. The cost is "yuge" as the kids say.

I really can't overstate how underwhelmed we are likely to be by this offseason. I honestly think one of Fultz + Harris will be let go and Black will take the minutes. We will rumor wise court several things, but I have no idea how serious it will be.

We already proved this season that Black is serviceable for his position compared to Fultz and Gary. If Black makes any kind of sophmore leap it will look like a big upgrade.

The cost? We aren't spending our salary cap on anything that doesn't help us make the salary floor, so we will lose our cap flexibility on the altar of "no good deals were there" and J Howard / Black get burn next season.

If that's the case, I think we are another first round exit team next year. Followed by JR year Black and seasoned Paolo + Franz + Suggs maturing enough to carry us into the second round. If no other issues have naturally occurred.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,050

Post#119 » by fendilim » Fri May 10, 2024 10:54 pm

Knightro wrote:
basketballRob wrote:He was in a limited role because he was a young rookie on a team trying to win. Cason Wallace got a bigger role as backup guard for the entire season on a teamtryingto win. He averaged 3.4 assists per 100 compared to 3.9 for Black.

Again... apples and oranges man.

The Thunder had the No. 3 ranked offense in the entire NBA. They truly didn't need Wallace to come in and do anything on offense except catch-and-shoot.

Wallace averaged just 11.9 touches per game in the front court with an average time of possession of just 0.9.

The Magic had a bad offense that severely lacked playmaking and passing, yet they couldn't get the #6 overall pick involved in any sort of playmaking whatsoever?

They opted to use him as a pure 3&D player instead of even *attempting* to see if some of his playmaking skills could positively impact the offense?

And now what are we going to see out of Black in year 2? Because if the idea is that he is going to have this fleshed out ability to make plays for others that he's been developing in secret and not go through the normal inexperienced player struggles that he *should* have gone through this year, but didn't... I dunno about all that.

There are certain skills you can develop and improve with a relentless work ethic in the summer with a trainer.

Playmaking is not one of those skills. You develop it by actually using it in real basketball games.

Fwiw, Cason Wallace has a potential assist stat of 2.5

AB has 2.8.

And AB is playing for one the worst offensive team in the league.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#120 » by Skybox » Fri May 10, 2024 11:54 pm

MasterGMer wrote:

Cade Ausar Sarr(???)
For
Franz Black #18

Ausar can’t throw a ball in the ocean but he was doing some incredible stuff defensively…like a mini Isaac all over the place

Return to Orlando Magic