ImageImageImageImage

Official Magic Off Season Thread (update pg 1)

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

What deal would you rather take for JJ Redick? And how likely would there be a deal?

SG Redick to Blazers for PF Ike Diogu
25%
Portland Accept?
17%
Portland Decline?
11%
F/C Battie & SG Redick to Nets for F/C Josh Boone and PF Stromile Swift
17%
New Jersey Accept?
6%
New Jersey Decline?
8%
SG Redick to Rockets for G Luthor Head & C Loren Woods
6%
Houston Accept?
2%
Houston Decline?
4%
SG Redick to Lakers for C/F Chris Mihm
6%

Total votes: 53

Jersey Generals
Lead Assistant
And1: 383

Re: Magic Offseason Targets Part Two 

Post#101 » by Jersey Generals » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:25 am

What PFs could be gotten with the MLE? The Rockets will match whatever is thrown Carl Landry's way, so that's not really an option. Any others?
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,580

Post#102 » by DiplomaticMagic » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:28 am

There's Ronnie Turiaf IDK how Lakers view him.

He sounds nice though.

An off-season with Turiaf and Duhon or One of Memphis PG, will be a good off-season.
Trade for Jarret Allen
Neon1
RealGM
And1: 1,576

Post#103 » by Neon1 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:34 am

Jersey Generals wrote:What PFs could be gotten with the MLE? The Rockets will match whatever is thrown Carl Landry's way, so that's not really an option. Any others?

Theres not much available....

Unrestricted is limited to Kwame Brown, Marc Jackson, Marcus Haislip....VERY slim pickings.
DMannOC
Senior
And1: 0

Post#104 » by DMannOC » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:37 am

people hate kwame but i think he would be a decent pick up for his post defense alone.
Jersey Generals
Lead Assistant

Post#105 » by Jersey Generals » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:41 am

DMannOC wrote:people hate kwame but i think he would be a decent pick up for his post defense alone.

Depends on how much of a paycut he'll take. If we could get him for cheap, I mean really cheap, he'd be decent off of the bench. He's huge, in size and length, and all he would have to do is get rebounds.
TheRevTy
Starter

Post#106 » by TheRevTy » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:10 pm

Ok, Portland has a glut, Houston has a glut, and Minny has a glut.

What does this mean? Here are the players that could be available (via free agency or trade) due to draft day dealings:

Craig Smith, Ryan Gomes, Chris Richards, Paul Millsap, Carl Landry, Chuck Hayes, Channing Frye, James Jones, Joel Pryzbilla, Josh McRoberts

You also have to think GS is thinking hard about Biedrins, Al Harrington, Brandon Wright, Patrick O'Bryant, Austin Croshere, Matt Barnes, and now Anthony Randolph and Richard Hendrix all being on their roster...

And probably a few others that I am not thinking of.

Not to mention, I'm sure the second round talent that we so deperately wanted is probably still in play.
MitchellUK
RealGM
And1: 2,882

Re: The Offseason Thread - Part Two 

Post#107 » by MitchellUK » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:46 pm

Now that the draft is over, (assuming the Magic do not make any late deals), who do you guys want us to look at in free agency?

Regarding our own free agents, I would like to see us re-sign Dooling. I know their has been interest elsewhere, but his ability to defend the 1 is crucial. I would say let Evans walk. He is not that much better than Bogans, and creating a log jam of two solid backups, a rookie and a 3rd year guy who has barely seen the court is pointless.

Next order of business has to be a big man. I know Battie is back, but there is no way of knowing how healthy he will be, and with Foyle walking, that leaves us with Dwight, Battie and Gortat is true 'big' men. That needs answering with a guy who can defend and rebound.

Ronny Turiaf could be a good pick up. He's physical, he rebounds and blocks shots, and he's got just about enough of a jump shot to stop teams crowding Dwight if they are on the floor together. He's only 25, so there is a chance he could improve still further in the future, and add to that, he is from Martinique, and Carribbean born players seem to like the idea of playing in Florida. Just had a quick look at an article about the Lakers' offseason plans, and they seemed pessemistic about Buss opening his wallet for Turiaf if he is offered a reasonable contract elsewhere. Perhaps half the midlevel would do it?

Another guy (and I think I am opening myself up for abuse here) is Kwame Brown. He's similar in size to Dwight, and reasonably mobile, meaning that if they were on the court together they could switch between PF and C based on matchup. Add to that, he is a solid defender and rebounder. He is never going to live up to the no.1 pick tag, but I reckon he could be had on the cheap given that he has just come off a grossly overpaid contract, and probably wants to prove himself.

Other options for some size and paint presence include Dasagana Diop, Brian Skinner, Lorenzen Wright, Kurt Thomas, Eduardo Najara and Francisco Elsom all of whom could be had pretty cheap. If the Magic really want to take a risk, they could maybe overpay for someone like Carl Landry or Paul Millsap a little, and see if their respective teams are willing to match.

I'd also like to see the team go after another point guard with the LLE.

What are you guys thinking?
orlandomike
Starter
And1: 53

Post#108 » by orlandomike » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:59 pm

Dont forget we have the Orange Ball Assassin, Tony Battie coming back this year. Ok, I made the nickname up but I think he will help in the power forward role more than some think.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,043

Post#109 » by drsd » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:53 pm

magicfan4life05 wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3462005

magic gotta get this guy

James Jones has terrible rebounding stats at the PF slot.
Dwightmare
Sixth Man
And1: 24

Post#110 » by Dwightmare » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:07 pm

Id like to maybe make a move for kirk hinrich or make a move with Seattle. They have way too many players under contract so maybe they would move Collison, Wilcox, or Watson for expirings.
theTHIEF
RealGM
And1: 214

Post#111 » by theTHIEF » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:11 pm

Kirk will cost way too much, so it's nice, but just not a reality ya know? Hedo to the Bulls for Kirk and Thabo or Nociani? hmm lol, but seriously, just too pricey...I think the Magic are going to re-sign Dooling now and shoot for Kurt Thomas on the cheap and then use the MLE on another guard, unless they are considering Kwame Brown or something...and of course bring in some guys during the summer league and review their options with vets...

I would really like to see Stackhouse here if possible, that would really help shore us up at the 2 guard no matter if it was

JJ/Lee/Stack

or

Lee/Bogans/Stack

but listen to me, babble babble babble...
TheRevTy
Starter

Post#112 » by TheRevTy » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:24 pm

Yeesh, do you ever shut up?

Seriously, though, I say we go hard after David Lee (can we have 2 Lee's?) Paul Millsap, Craig Smith, or Udonis Haslem.

Unless we can convince Atlanta that giving us Josh Smith is the best deal ever. Which, knowing the Hawks, isn't out of the realm of possibility.
Dwightmare
Sixth Man

Post#113 » by Dwightmare » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:27 pm

What about Nick Collison? Seattle is desiring cap space and Nick has 3 years remaining at around 6 yo 7 million.

Bogans or Redick
Cook

for

Collison
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,290

Post#114 » by Optimus_Steel » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:29 pm

dwightmeer wrote:What about Nick Collison? Seattle is desiring cap space and Nick has 3 years remaining at around 6 yo 7 million.

Bogans or Redick
Cook

for

Collison

Seal and done. Doubt Seattle does it though. And i do like the idea of Stackhouse as thief suggested. Kurt Thomas would be awesome as well.
aka: prorl
theTHIEF
RealGM

Post#115 » by theTHIEF » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:32 pm

David Lee would be great, but umm, NY wanted to move him for a top 5 lottery pick...they are delusional about the value...
Dwightmare
Sixth Man

Post#116 » by Dwightmare » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:34 pm

Thief,

What do you think about dealing with Seattle for Collison, Wilcox or Watson? Are we not likely to trade with them since we could have done it in the SNT for Rashard or have things changed since then.
theTHIEF
RealGM

Post#117 » by theTHIEF » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:37 pm

Wilcox = nice, but he is going to want a nice contract next off season
Collison = not bad, little pricey, but probably a good fit here
Watson = meh, serviceable, overpaid a bit
Jersey Generals
Lead Assistant

Post#118 » by Jersey Generals » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:42 pm

I think we should go after Luis Scola hard.
theTHIEF
RealGM

Post#119 » by theTHIEF » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:52 pm

good luck...

Turiaf, Landy, Scola, Evans any of those guys would be CHEDDER...
Jersey Generals
Lead Assistant

Post#120 » by Jersey Generals » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:12 pm

theTHIEF wrote:good luck...

Turiaf, Landy, Scola, Evans any of those guys would be CHEDDER...

There are multpiple meanings of the word cheddar in my vernacular, care to clarify for me? If you mean the bad one, as in saying that all of those guys would be almost impossible to get, I agree.

Return to Orlando Magic