ImageImageImageImage

Official Magic Off Season Thread (update pg 1)

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

What deal would you rather take for JJ Redick? And how likely would there be a deal?

SG Redick to Blazers for PF Ike Diogu
25%
Portland Accept?
17%
Portland Decline?
11%
F/C Battie & SG Redick to Nets for F/C Josh Boone and PF Stromile Swift
17%
New Jersey Accept?
6%
New Jersey Decline?
8%
SG Redick to Rockets for G Luthor Head & C Loren Woods
6%
Houston Accept?
2%
Houston Decline?
4%
SG Redick to Lakers for C/F Chris Mihm
6%

Total votes: 53

Dwightmare
Sixth Man
And1: 24

Re: The Offseason Thread - Part Two 

Post#121 » by Dwightmare » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:27 pm

Cheddar = Money = Good
theTHIEF
RealGM
And1: 214

Post#122 » by theTHIEF » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:29 pm

exactly meer, you're my hood translator...thank you...

I went ER to emphasize the ERRRR sound
Dwightmare
Sixth Man
And1: 24

Post#123 » by Dwightmare » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:42 pm

I hope Otis is talking to Memphis about acquiring one of their PGs.
DMannOC
Senior
And1: 0

Post#124 » by DMannOC » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:00 pm

dwightmeer wrote:I hope Otis is talking to Memphis about acquiring one of their PGs.

And one of their PFs. They have Gasol, Darko ( :evil: ), Warrick, and Arthur... i wouldnt mind taking Arthur off their hands.
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#125 » by magicman123 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:00 pm

dwightmeer wrote:I hope Otis is talking to Memphis about acquiring one of their PGs.

yea i am curious to see what we do, otis is gonna have to be smart in free agency
DMannOC
Senior

Post#126 » by DMannOC » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:02 pm

magicman123 wrote:

yea i am curious to see what we do, otis is gonna have to be smart in free agency

:pray:
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,592

Post#127 » by eyriq » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:58 pm

I kind of think that the rotation may almost be set and everything else we do will only be cannon fodder. We still need a backup point, but everywhere else we may be set. One of Bogans/JJ/Lee will start, and all three will probably get burn. That's three spots in a 10 man rotation. Nelson and another guard, probably Dooling, will play the point (along with our utility stud Hedo (and maybe our new utility stud C. Lee?)). That's five spots. Then Hedo at the 3, Lewis at the 4, and Howard at the 5. That's 8 spots. Count in Battie and one of Gortat/Cook and you have a ten man rotation and all that will really matter in the long run. The rest of the bench are typically stiffs on most teams and this won't be any different. So I am not looking for anything spectacular to happen because we don't really need it. Getting a full MLE player at the 2 guard position would be nice, as would trading Hedo for a stud 4 so as to get a more balanced rotation, but I don't really see those things happening nor will I cry about it. I will enjoy watching Lee develop and hopefully JJ get some real playing time. Battie backing up Lewis and Howard will be a huge upgrade over what we had last year. There it is, Otis really does like this team, and maybe he is right in taking things so slow and steady after all.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,772

Post#128 » by Cammo101 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:15 pm

I am starting to suspect we will use the MLE on Kurt Thomas and then re-sign Dooling and maybe Evans. I think the rest of the guys will be LLE guys.

Jameer/Dooling/LLE
Bogans/Lee/JJ
Hedo/Evans/LLE
Shard/Kurt Thomas/Cook
Dwight/Battie/Gortat
theTHIEF
RealGM

Post#129 » by theTHIEF » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:17 pm

i sure to god hope we dont use the full MLE on Thomas...I like the guy, but we're going to have to come to a better agreement than that...

Shard/Thomas/Cook
Dwight/Battie/Gortat

does make us much tougher and much more versatile...still need another big though even with Thomas IMO...can never have enough rebounds...
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#130 » by Cammo101 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:20 am

theTHIEF wrote:i sure to god hope we dont use the full MLE on Thomas...I like the guy, but we're going to have to come to a better agreement than that...

Shard/Thomas/Cook
Dwight/Battie/Gortat

does make us much tougher and much more versatile...still need another big though even with Thomas IMO...can never have enough rebounds...

I think with Thomas we would be fine with bigs. We would have 6 guys that can all play, with a good combo of finesse and bangers.

PS: I told you Richard Roby was not getting drafted Thief. :wink:
theTHIEF
RealGM

Post#131 » by theTHIEF » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:46 am

:(

thanks a lot jerk...
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#132 » by Cammo101 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:51 am

theTHIEF wrote::(

thanks a lot jerk...

Roby is a guy i suspect could go to Europe and really learn to play and then find his way back to the NBA similar to how Anthony Parker did. So all hope is not lost.
theTHIEF
RealGM

Post#133 » by theTHIEF » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:55 am

you cut me deep Cammo, you cut me real deep...but seriously, kid is a good talent, I got to see him play twice, and I just really love him..this last season hurt him a little bit...he has a lot of tools though...hopefully he can progress...
TNMagicFan
Head Coach
And1: 243

Re: Magic Offseason Targets Part Two 

Post#134 » by TNMagicFan » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:08 am

Tony will help alot but we still need another big
Neon1
RealGM
And1: 1,576

Post#135 » by Neon1 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:13 am

Ok draft targets deleted... Now time to focus on the Free Agency period.

PG Shawn Livingston became unresetricted today. Profile to be added.
C/F Kwame Brown profile to be re-added
Need to look for more PF targets...Unrestricted perferred.

New Poll added.
A smart coach once said, "Potential just means you're not good enough yet." Playing on potential is like living on air: It's essential, but if thats all you have, you're eventually going to starve.

Twitter: @CleonONE IG: @usaidwhatnah
DMannOC
Senior

Post#136 » by DMannOC » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:01 am

As much as i like Hedo i just dont see us winning a ship if we have shard at PF. I cant even think of the last time a poor defensive team won a ship can anyone else? Even though im quite sure it isnt gonna happen i would love to see Hedo get traded for a defensive PF who could also spread the floor. Someone like J. Smith or Sheed or Brand... If Otis could do something like Hedo, JJ, Cook, and 2 future first for J. Smith in a sign and trade i think we would be set for years!

Nelson/Jwill or Duhon
Lee/Bogans
Lewis/Evans
J Smith/Battie
Howard/Gortat

In no way am i hating on our current team though. Like Otis i love our team. I just dont think we can win a championship with Shard at the 4. The Celtics, Spurs, Pistons, Heat, Lakers, Bulls.... all really good defensive teams. I will cheer for this team no matter what and even if Shard stays at the 4 i still think we could and will get to the finals of the east... maybe even to the finals, i just dont think we will win a ship with Shard having to guard people like: West, Duncan, Amare, Jefferson, Randolph, Dirk, Sheed, Horford, Jamison, Garnett, Bosh/JO, Boozer, Gasol, Brand, ect.
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#137 » by magicman123 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:47 am

DMannOC wrote:As much as i like Hedo i just dont see us winning a ship if we have shard at PF. I cant even think of the last time a poor defensive team won a ship can anyone else? Even though im quite sure it isnt gonna happen i would love to see Hedo get traded for a defensive PF who could also spread the floor. Someone like J. Smith or Sheed or Brand... If Otis could do something like Hedo, JJ, Cook, and 2 future first for J. Smith in a sign and trade i think we would be set for years!

Nelson/Jwill or Duhon
Lee/Bogans
Lewis/Evans
J Smith/Battie
Howard/Gortat

In no way am i hating on our current team though. Like Otis i love our team. I just dont think we can win a championship with Shard at the 4. The Celtics, Spurs, Pistons, Heat, Lakers, Bulls.... all really good defensive teams. I will cheer for this team no matter what and even if Shard stays at the 4 i still think we could and will get to the finals of the east... maybe even to the finals, i just dont think we will win a ship with Shard having to guard people like: West, Duncan, Amare, Jefferson, Randolph, Dirk, Sheed, Horford, Jamison, Garnett, Bosh/JO, Boozer, Gasol, Brand, ect.

that would be a dream getting smith, maybe they can throw in childress too 8-) , but back to reality, atl would never do that though..i would like to move lewis back to sf when we get the chance, i dont want him to play out of position for that long, its working now..but remember, those guys have to guard lewis as well at the 4, and he opens the court up and draws the defenders outside..if we are not gonna resign hedo when the time comes, i think we should trade him and get something for him..

howard
smith
lewis
childress/lee
nelson
lovehoops01
General Manager
And1: 1

Post#138 » by lovehoops01 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:17 am

More than I worry about Rashard's ability to guard the 4s, I worry about his ability to stay healthy if he has to keep going against the 4s. That's the main reason I want to see the Magic sign another big. I think they absolutely need one more guy. The bigger and badder, the better. My main hope is someone falls off a roster and to us because there were so many power forwards in the draft, perhaps creating some teams that are overstocked at the position. I know, it might be a dream. But those are my kind of dreams, not a total overhaul.
Bigmagicfan82
Starter
And1: 344

Post#139 » by Bigmagicfan82 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:03 pm

I think the Magic targets should be:

PF/C:
DeSagana Diop (with the addition of Yi and Brook Lopez to a stacked frontline of Josh Boon, Stromile Swift, Nenad Krstic, and Sean Williams means that DeSagana Diop will most likely leaving the Nets.)

Eduardo Najera

Ronny Turiaf (He may be harder to get if the Lakers are determined to get him.)

Michael Doleac (he can help and he can be had on the cheep.)

Chris Andersen ( a good back up and will most likely cost only the LLE.)

Melvin Ely

Brian Skinner (Good Vet for the LLE.)

Kurt Thomas

Francisco Elson (The Sonics are trying to cut payroll so i don't see him being resigned.)

Primoz Brezec

PG:

Chris Duhon (He is not going back to Chicago. He is a good defensive pg that we need and he shouldn't cost too much)

Delonte West (i don't know how much interest the Cavs have in keeping him, but he would be a good interest.)

Anthony Carter (quality Vet)

Jason Williams (We already know that he said that he wants to play for the Magic, and that he will do it for the LLE. But it is still a business and until he signs anything can happen.)

Beno Udrih (young quality pg with some upside.)

Jacque Vaughn (He was a decent backup back in the day for us. He has made a mark in the league for his defense and we should be able to get him for the LLE.)

Ideal targets:

MLE- Split the money between DeSagana Diop and Kurt Thomas

LLE- give it to either Chris Duhon, Beno Udrih,
Jason Williams, or Jacque Vaughn

Trade -JJ for either Delonte West or Michael Doleac
spinedoc
RealGM
And1: 4,208

Post#140 » by spinedoc » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:44 pm

With the new poll up there, I had to vote getting a new pg in FA. We have two really pressing needs, but I had to go pg because we only have Jameer on the roster as of now. Dooling and JWill might not be givens for us as we all think, but I really want a big rebounder up front too. I'm guessing that Fran is our future pf and complement to Dwight, and that Shard is just holding the spot for him until that happens, crazy. I'm at a loss, I have no idea what they are thinking now. Time will tell I suppose.

Return to Orlando Magic