ImageImageImageImage

The Anthony Black Thread

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,589

Re: The Anthony Black Thread 

Post#1341 » by eyriq » Thu Jan 4, 2024 1:12 pm

KillMonger wrote:
Read on Twitter

Made me sit up in my chair when i saw this live....i don't think people understand, this isn't an easy pass....full speed on the money
Yeah, really impressive stuff
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 712

Post#1342 » by JoshuaPotter » Thu Jan 4, 2024 2:10 pm

Black did surprisingly well in his yet another last second role he found himself in.

I still want him in pick and roll situations. I am assuming that isn't happening because the skill isn't there or the coach says no.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,134

Post#1343 » by KillMonger » Thu Jan 4, 2024 9:17 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:Black did surprisingly well in his yet another last second role he found himself in.

I still want him in pick and roll situations. I am assuming that isn't happening because the skill isn't there or the coach says no.

i would assume the latter....he ran quite a bit of pick and roll in college, i don't think he all of a sudden forgot how to do so....he probably isnt trusted enough quite yet
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,572

Post#1344 » by Bensational » Thu Jan 4, 2024 10:01 pm

eyriq wrote:
KillMonger wrote:
Read on Twitter

Made me sit up in my chair when i saw this live....i don't think people understand, this isn't an easy pass....full speed on the money
Yeah, really impressive stuff

That and the PnR he ran with Goga got me excited for AB showing out some more playmaking but he really froze up after that. Kid must get really nervous or something. I don’t think we’ll see him unlock his confidence this season as long as he’s playing scared and not wanting to mess up, but I don’t think he’s ready to roll through the mistakes yet.

When he plays with that 3rd unit, the Green Goblins, it’s clear he has learned how those guys like to get their shots and he finds them - but that’s only in garbage time.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,050

Post#1345 » by fendilim » Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:17 am

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=iLAy6FEi9caa6E4C9teZYQ

Love the effort tho lol
KillMonger
RealGM

Post#1346 » by KillMonger » Sat Feb 3, 2024 7:50 am

he's shown enough flashes for me to want to see his development through
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,119

Post#1347 » by yoyojw17 » Sat Feb 3, 2024 3:28 pm

KillMonger wrote:

Agreed! I feel as though this is the tip of the iceberg. he has played his role as others are also the focus of development.... but as franz and banchero solidify themselves... the leash will be lengthened for black and he is rounding into a player that does everything we would love from the PG position.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1348 » by eyriq » Sat Feb 3, 2024 4:01 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:
KillMonger wrote:

Agreed! I feel as though this is the tip of the iceberg. he has played his role as others are also the focus of development.... but as franz and banchero solidify themselves... the leash will be lengthened for black and he is rounding into a player that does everything we would love from the PG position.
The kids game is NICE
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,141

Post#1349 » by Residual-Heat » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:33 am

Its crazy that this kid is shooting over 40% from 3. I understand he's getting easy shots. but we were questioning whether he was even better than Fultz. Black has made 39 3s so far this season, thats already more than Fultz has ever made in one season. Massive improvement from summer league to now.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,281

Post#1350 » by Optimus_Steel » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:56 am

Residual-Heat wrote:Its crazy that this kid is shooting over 40% from 3. I understand he's getting easy shots. but we were questioning whether he was even better than Fultz. Black has made 39 3s so far this season, thats already more than Fultz has ever made in one season. Massive improvement from summer league to now.

We have to admit it’s really impressive and I think he is going to be fine. He has show more than enough skills and flashes that I’m not worried. He has a good head on his shoulders, key for him will be finding his confidence.
aka: prorl
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,852

Post#1351 » by JustBuzzin » Thu Mar 7, 2024 5:00 am

Optimus_Steel wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:Its crazy that this kid is shooting over 40% from 3. I understand he's getting easy shots. but we were questioning whether he was even better than Fultz. Black has made 39 3s so far this season, thats already more than Fultz has ever made in one season. Massive improvement from summer league to now.

We have to admit it’s really impressive and I think he is going to be fine. He has show more than enough skills and flashes that I’m not worried. He has a good head on his shoulders, key for him will be finding his confidence.

You have Chris Webber and Peja Stajokavic 2.0 you will be fine regardless. :D
KillMonger
RealGM

Post#1352 » by KillMonger » Thu Mar 7, 2024 8:15 am

really happy with the development in his shooting, its a testament to his work....so many clips of him before and after games just getting shots up....it's paying off....as he improves the rest of his game hopefully he gains some trust from mose to run more of the offense....if we develop him the right way, there isn't too many 6'7 point guards
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,159

Post#1353 » by Def Swami » Thu Mar 7, 2024 2:22 pm

The Magic have simplified Black's role, and he's done nothing but get better at it all season long.
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#1354 » by JoshuaPotter » Thu Mar 7, 2024 3:10 pm

He is making an argument as to whether or not come playoffs he has earned the starting spot.

Maybe I am just high on him having watched the highlight reel just now. You can see thru the flashes that he does have PG vision. The real question is can he become a pick and roll threat and a good enough outside shot to develop that.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,281

Post#1355 » by Optimus_Steel » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:07 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
Optimus_Steel wrote:

You have Chris Webber and Peja Stajokavic 2.0 you will be fine regardless. :D

Actually I think Chris Webber and Manu Ginobilli 2.0. :D
aka: prorl
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1356 » by eyriq » Thu Mar 7, 2024 5:00 pm

He's better than I expected.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1357 » by eyriq » Thu Mar 7, 2024 5:10 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=L3xWdXLgu-r2q0thwPQfGw&s=19
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,861

Post#1358 » by Knightro » Thu Mar 7, 2024 5:23 pm

eyriq wrote:He's better than I expected.

He's... different than I expected him to be.

I was pretty confident he's step in defend well and even show flashes of being a great defender. He fouls a lot, but he's got quick feet to go with his big body.

But offensively it's been al ot different than I thought it would be.

He's shooting the ball way better than I expected him to shoot it, but he's not really doing anything in terms of dribbling or shot creation for himself or others right now.

For all intents and purposes, offensively he's basically just a catch-and-shoot guy only, but he's been quite good at that (albeit on low volume) particularly from the corners.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,050

Post#1359 » by fendilim » Thu Mar 7, 2024 5:27 pm

Knightro wrote:
eyriq wrote:He's better than I expected.

He's... different than I expected him to be.

I was pretty confident he's step in defend well and even show flashes of being a great defender. He fouls a lot, but he's got quick feet to go with his big body.

But offensively it's been al ot different than I thought it would be.

He's shooting the ball way better than I expected him to shoot it, but he's not really doing anything in terms of dribbling or shot creation for himself or others right now.

For all intents and purposes, offensively he's basically just a catch-and-shoot guy only, but he's been quite good at that (albeit on low volume) particularly from the corners.

He seems to be playing as expected, except for the shooting. He is living up to the term coined by Weltman as him being a “connector”.
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#1360 » by JoshuaPotter » Thu Mar 7, 2024 5:28 pm

I am starting to see him cutting and putting the ball on the floor in the highlight reels and hearing it in the game. He still has a long way to go, but I can't help but be hopeful.

Return to Orlando Magic