ImageImageImageImage

NBA Playoffs Thread (non-Magic games discussion)

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,572

Re: NBA Playoffs Thread (non-Magic games discussion) 

Post#1541 » by ibraheim718 » Wed May 8, 2024 5:14 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:Game got out of Mavs hands in span of like 3 min.
Midway through 3rd they were down by 2, within next 3 min, down by 15.

OKC probably won't shoot 50% for 3 on near 40 attemps tho but Dallas struggled to rebound and turned the ball over too much.

I have no clue wtf happened to Derrick White. How near 30 yeras old role player goes into megastar mode out of nowhere? Anyway, feeling good about my Celtics pick for a title.

Because players can get better. but you don't believe that member? :lol: :lol:

3ppg 1.5rpg 0.5apg 0.2apg

basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,954

Post#1542 » by basketballRob » Wed May 8, 2024 5:33 pm

Suggs and Derrick White had almost identical seasons. This was the best season in White's career.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,407

Post#1543 » by pepe1991 » Wed May 8, 2024 5:48 pm

ibraheim718 wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:
Because players can get better. but you don't believe that member? :lol: :lol:

Your Knicks are relevant for first time since...what ? 1998 and here you are pretending to be Magic fan "because of Randle" :crazy: Next level mental

btw i have no clue wtf you are refering to :lol:
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,832

Post#1544 » by Skybox » Wed May 8, 2024 6:24 pm

basketballRob wrote:Suggs and Derrick White had almost identical seasons. This was the best season in White's career.

I love Suggs but White is, for now at least, a superior offensive player and a very good defender. He's got better offensive numbers as the 4th (distant 4th) option on BOS' powerhouse starting lineup. Suggs will likely get there, but he's really just 3&D other than show-stopping dunks off of steals. 5.2 apg vs 2.7 for Suggs. 4.2 rpg vs 3.1 for Suggs...again, White is doing this on a STACKED BOS team. White would be a really nice backcourt partner with Suggs-but BOS is all-in, budgets be damned, for now at least. I could see White leaving BOS for a big payday in a couple of years...but he could easily regress a bit too.

Jaylen Brown23.0
Kristaps Porzingis20.1
Derrick White15.2
Jrue Holiday12.5

Franz Wagner19.7
Jalen Suggs12.6
Cole Anthony11.6
Wendell Carter, Jr.11.0
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#1545 » by pepe1991 » Wed May 8, 2024 6:44 pm

Skybox wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Suggs and Derrick White had almost identical seasons. This was the best season in White's career.

I love Suggs but White is, for now at least, a superior offensive player and a very good defender. He's got better offensive numbers as the 4th (distant 4th) option on BOS' powerhouse starting lineup. Suggs will likely get there, but he's really just 3&D other than show-stopping dunks off of steals. 5.2 apg vs 2.7 for Suggs. 4.2 rpg vs 3.1 for Suggs...again, White is doing this on a STACKED BOS team. White would be a really nice backcourt partner with Suggs-but BOS is all-in, budgets be damned, for now at least. I could see White leaving BOS for a big payday in a couple of years...but he could easily regress a bit too.

Jaylen Brown23.0
Kristaps Porzingis20.1
Derrick White15.2
Jrue Holiday12.5

Franz Wagner19.7
Jalen Suggs12.6
Cole Anthony11.6
Wendell Carter, Jr.11.0

Boston is also best nba offense (and second best defense).
Them having him as basically 5th best player is luxury.

Our offense is simply bad.

ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,572

Post#1546 » by ibraheim718 » Wed May 8, 2024 6:45 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

Your Knicks are relevant for first time since...what ? 1998 and here you are pretending to be Magic fan "because of Randle" :crazy: Next level mental

I listed Derrick White's stats from his rookie year. Has he improved?
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#1547 » by pepe1991 » Wed May 8, 2024 6:59 pm

ibraheim718 wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:

29th pick on 47 wins team and 17 games played as reference point ? While ignoring near 50% FG and 60% for 3 ( albet small sample)

And i never said players don't improve . I just don't belive in miracle work.
I think vast majority of players reach their ceiling within first 3-4 years into a league, some players continue to improve later, but, imo, most don't. Outliners will always happen, in both massive decline out of nowhere and massive improvment out of nowhere, but they all tend to level up. (Andrew Wiggins is best example of both outliners and eventual "fall" to normal self ).

I think adjustment to training, nba life, hitting trianing, adjustment to offseason trainings, filling frame muscle vise normally all level after player experience it several times.

Again, it's just my opinion.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,832

Post#1548 » by Skybox » Wed May 8, 2024 7:09 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

29th pick on 47 wins team and 17 games played as reference point ? While ignoring near 50% FG and 60% for 3 ( albet small sample)

And i never said players don't improve . I just don't belive in miracle work.
I think vast majority of players reach their ceiling within first 3-4 years into a league, some players continue to improve later, but, imo, most don't. Outliners will always happen, in both massive decline out of nowhere and massive improvment out of nowhere, but they all tend to level up. (Andrew Wiggins is best example of both outliners and eventual "fall" to normal self ).

I think adjustment to training, nba life, hitting trianing, adjustment to offseason trainings, filling frame muscle vise normally all level after player experience it several times.

Again, it's just my opinion.

I agree with Pepe...players definitely improve, sometimes a lot...but they rarely just completely change character. For example, PG "vision" doesn't just come from a summer of watching film and shooters rarely go from bad to very good. Suggs' shot always looked good, but his improvement has been about as good as you can hope. Really, more "refinement" than revolution.
byeganyo
Junior
And1: 133

Post#1549 » by byeganyo » Thu May 9, 2024 1:09 am

Brunson injured... it's better to be lucky than good Pacers will go to conference finals if he misses more than 2 games.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,954

Post#1550 » by basketballRob » Thu May 9, 2024 1:15 am

byeganyo wrote:Brunson injured... it's better to be lucky than good Pacers will go to conference finals if he misses more than 2 games.
Playing a 7-man rotation is catching up to them.

drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,042

Post#1551 » by drsd » Thu May 9, 2024 1:25 am

Skybox wrote:For example, PG "vision" doesn't just come from a summer of watching film and shooters rarely go from bad to very good. Suggs' shot always looked good, but his improvement has been about as good as you can hope. Really, more "refinement" than revolution.

Changing topics, this reminded me of the Okeke exit interview. Basically management told him "he needs to watch more game tape". I read that as code for, you play out of position because you have not shown a willingness to commit to team basketball.

At this stage of Okeke's career, he is not going to learn the importance of game-tape in Orlando. Maybe he can go tot he Euroleague for a couple years and return to the NBA when his mental work ethic is better. I'm not seeing it.
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#1552 » by pepe1991 » Thu May 9, 2024 5:15 am

Hertestein is probably playing himself into $80M + contract over 4 years.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 38,109

Post#1553 » by SOUL » Thu May 9, 2024 6:51 am

pepe1991 wrote:Hertestein

Me to my grandpa whenever he tries to tell me who hit a home run in the Yankees games he watches :D
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#1554 » by pepe1991 » Thu May 9, 2024 9:11 am

SOUL wrote:

Me to my grandpa whenever he tries to tell me who hit a home run in the Yankees games he watches :D

:lol:

God damn German surnames are difficult , Wolfeschlegelsteinhausenbergerdorff is actual surname in Germany :rofl:

But in past soccer players had some of funniest names i've seen. Tony Woodcock , Wolfgang Wolf (German ofc, coach of Wolsburg :lol: ) , Paul Dickov, Jizz Hornkamp, Andre Muff :D
Message Boar
Analyst
And1: 1,919

Post#1555 » by Message Boar » Thu May 9, 2024 9:20 am

pepe1991 wrote:
SOUL wrote:

God damn German surnames are difficult , Wolfeschlegelsteinhausenbergerdorff is actual surname in Germany :rofl:

But in past soccer players had some of funniest names i've seen. Tony Woodcock , Wolfgang Wolf (German ofc, coach of Wolsburg :lol: ) , Paul Dickov, Jizz Hornkamp, Andre Muff :D
Jizz Hornkamp is Dutch :D , and I still chuckle every time the announcer mentions his name on the broadcast when I'm watching :lol: Yes, that's his real name! And it would be my adult actor name if I ever went into that industry! Also Wolfgang Wolf coaching Wolfsburg is wild :lol:
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#1556 » by pepe1991 » Thu May 9, 2024 9:41 am

Message Boar wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
SOUL wrote:

Jizz Hornkamp is Dutch :D , and I still chuckle every time the announcer mentions his name on the broadcast when I'm watching :lol: Yes, that's his real name! And it would be my adult actor name if I ever went into that industry! Also Wolfgang Wolf coaching Wolfsburg is wild :lol:

There is female basketball player named DeWanna Bonner :lol:

But nobody can match Dick Pound and General Booty.
sChOlaRlY_Magi
Sixth Man
And1: 344

Post#1557 » by sChOlaRlY_Magi » Thu May 9, 2024 7:03 pm

Does anyone have a quick summation of the Clifford move with the Hornets?

Moved to front office and a new coach was hired, that is all I know...
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,859

Post#1558 » by Knightro » Thu May 9, 2024 7:19 pm

sChOlaRlY_Magi wrote:Does anyone have a quick summation of the Clifford move with the Hornets?

Michael Jordan sold the team and the new owners wanted their own people in at general manager and head coach.

So rather than just straight firing them, the new owners allowed Mitch Kupchak and Steve Clifford the ability to save a little face and remain on in advisory roles.

But essentially they were both fired by the new owners.
sChOlaRlY_Magi
Sixth Man
And1: 344

Post#1559 » by sChOlaRlY_Magi » Thu May 9, 2024 7:33 pm

Knightro wrote:
sChOlaRlY_Magi wrote:Does anyone have a quick summation of the Clifford move with the Hornets?

Michael Jordan sold the team and the new owners wanted their own people in at general manager and head coach.

So rather than just straight firing them, the new owners allowed Mitch Kupchak and Steve Clifford the ability to save a little face and remain on in advisory roles.

But essentially they were both fired by the new owners.

Thanks Knightro and wow! Whenever it's this low key, usually there is something going on in the background.
CocoaFan
Sophomore
And1: 69

Post#1560 » by CocoaFan » Thu May 9, 2024 11:30 pm

drsd wrote:
Skybox wrote:For example, PG "vision" doesn't just come from a summer of watching film and shooters rarely go from bad to very good. Suggs' shot always looked good, but his improvement has been about as good as you can hope. Really, more "refinement" than revolution.

Changing topics, this reminded me of the Okeke exit interview. Basically management told him "he needs to watch more game tape". I read that as code for, you play out of position because you have not shown a willingness to commit to team basketball.

At this stage of Okeke's career, he is not going to learn the importance of game-tape in Orlando. Maybe he can go tot he Euroleague for a couple years and return to the NBA when his mental work ethic is better. I'm not seeing it.
I think Chuma likes music more than he likes basketball.

Return to Orlando Magic