ImageImageImageImage

Who would you rather we go after this offseason?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

Which guard/s do yall want?

Malik Monk
14%
Klay Thompson
5%
Paul George
10%
Dejounte Murray
20%
Trae Young
11%
Devin Booker
11%
Tyus Jones
5%
More than 1 of them
16%
None of them
8%

Total votes: 88

I Rasharted
Sixth Man
And1: 855

Re: Who would you rather we go after this offseason? 

Post#161 » by I Rasharted » Wed May 8, 2024 10:13 am

Could the Magic trade for Murray and sign Thompson? Too lazy to figure it out on my own. (I don't have much interest in Thompson but he'd give the Magic cover for the We Love Character Guys angle.)
basketballRob wrote:Another good benefit about eating plants is that the artery going to your penis gets unclogged and starts flowing real good.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,406

Post#162 » by pepe1991 » Wed May 8, 2024 11:13 am

I Rasharted wrote:Could the Magic trade for Murray and sign Thompson? Too lazy to figure it out on my own. (I don't have much interest in Thompson but he'd give the Magic cover for the We Love Character Guys angle.)

It would lead to very ugly salary situation in near future
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,119

Post#163 » by yoyojw17 » Wed May 8, 2024 11:49 am

cedric76 wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:Talentwise + Cost = Murray for me.... but ... it will cost us some of what we got

Talentwise + Cost + Circumstance = Monk ....i think we could see him take a step forward and grow with us as well.... while as a free agent... we can maintain black and howard that would most likely have been added in a trade... annnnd our picks. Picks are an opportunity to get cheap talent and when utilized appropriately they are very valuable.

and then third.... Hartenstein.

Monk + Hartenstein would be a homerun summer for me. we help our offense immensely and still maintain defensive strengths

So you go for Monk and if it s not working by Feb 2025, you trade him + 2frp for Murray which lead to same result as your initial point but saved you a LOT of assets

See and that's the flexibility I would think they are trying to maintain. I know some aren't as high on Black or Howard as much now because of their performance ... Well lack there of .... This season. But for me ... I see it as being by design and we will see these guys playing more in the future as they continue to level up. And unless it's for something undeniable ... I don't see them getting added into a trade.

Plus ... Monk coming here with a defined opportunity and role might take his game to a different level. But if he gives us what we saw in Sacramento.... I'm happy already because he give us what we need at the guard position. And if he can be one more of an average to slightly above average defender in our lineups.... MONEY!
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,831

Post#164 » by Skybox » Wed May 8, 2024 11:56 am

I'd say it's unlikely we just sign two $20m per guys this summer (even if we can)...that would lead to a very tight salary spot soon. Don't be shocked if Weltman sends out salary (by design) for one of the acquisitions...or, just gets one and upgrades cheap vets or short term vet deals.

I think Murray is the best fit for a variety of reasons, most notably defense. I wouldn't be too surprised if Isaac was included in a trade for Murray or Simons. I'm not sure I support that, but it's a lot more complex than how much we like Isaac...you really can't carry $140-150m in just your starting 5 (which is where you'd be when the extensions come in - including giving Isaac a raise next summer)...maybe if you're a major market contender. It's not a given that ownership will spend every dollar that a capologist permits. Perhaps a decision will have to be made about priorties and also about the possible wisdom of selling high on Isaac, while he's healthy.

One could make an argument that WCJ, at $13m, could be the primary backup at 4/5...they could also consider the unthinkable and send out Franz' big brother and his $8m deal. Cole would also a possibility, even if unloaded for srps. It's an unpleasant reality of salary caps...if you're really paying your top 5, there's not much left for the next 8.
IllMagic04
Analyst
And1: 1,821

Post#165 » by IllMagic04 » Wed May 8, 2024 8:31 pm

Knightro wrote:The most realistic trade idea I can come up with for Trae Young…

Cole Anthony
Anthony Black
Jett Howard
2024 1st
2026 1st
2028 1st
Pick swaps in 2025 and 2027.

For

Trae Young
And one of Capela or Hunter

G: Young
G: Suggs, Houstan
F: F. Wagner, Hunter
F: Banchero, Isaac
C: Carter, M. Wagner

Would probably need to dip into the free agency pool to address the back up guard situation at that point since they would be sending out three guards.

Honestly? They could resign Markelle to be the back up point guard at that point.

Thats alot of draft capital but I'd probably do it. I think the Hawks reply keep the picks swaps and replace Cole with Suggs then deal. Which is a no deal for me. It depends on the market for Trae is and if the Hawks really want to move him.
axl_c_cool
Analyst
And1: 857

Post#166 » by axl_c_cool » Wed May 8, 2024 8:47 pm

Skybox wrote:I'd say it's unlikely we just sign two $20m per guys this summer (even if we can)...that would lead to a very tight salary spot soon. Don't be shocked if Weltman sends out salary (by design) for one of the acquisitions...or, just gets one and upgrades cheap vets or short term vet deals.

I think Murray is the best fit for a variety of reasons, most notably defense. I wouldn't be too surprised if Isaac was included in a trade for Murray or Simons. I'm not sure I support that, but it's a lot more complex than how much we like Isaac...you really can't carry $140-150m in just your starting 5 (which is where you'd be when the extensions come in - including giving Isaac a raise next summer)...maybe if you're a major market contender. It's not a given that ownership will spend every dollar that a capologist permits. Perhaps a decision will have to be made about priorties and also about the possible wisdom of selling high on Isaac, while he's healthy.

One could make an argument that WCJ, at $13m, could be the primary backup at 4/5...they could also consider the unthinkable and send out Franz' big brother and his $8m deal. Cole would also a possibility, even if unloaded for srps. It's an unpleasant reality of salary caps...if you're really paying your top 5, there's not much left for the next 8.

Agree with all this, I think Murray has another level and would suit this team perfect.

It would be a shame to lose Isaac

I also agree WCJ is better as a back up 4/5, he was good off the bench in that role.

I’d rather trade for Murray (Cole + Isaac + picks), keep most the cap space and sign a C, re-sign Fultz, Harris,and Ingles to team friendly deals, and draft Da Silva. Then go

Murray/Black/Fultz*
Suggs/Harris/Howard
F.Wagner/Ingles/Houston
Banchero/Da Silva
FA/WCJ/M.Wagner

We’ve improved our shooting as the season goes on, we’ll have to make sure we do in the summer, and that Jett Howard can play too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FORMALLY LC MAGIC
Skybox
RealGM

Post#167 » by Skybox » Wed May 8, 2024 11:03 pm

axl_c_cool wrote:
Skybox wrote:I'd say it's unlikely we just sign two $20m per guys this summer (even if we can)...that would lead to a very tight salary spot soon. Don't be shocked if Weltman sends out salary (by design) for one of the acquisitions...or, just gets one and upgrades cheap vets or short term vet deals.

Agree with all this, I think Murray has another level and would suit this team perfect.

It would be a shame to lose Isaac

I also agree WCJ is better as a back up 4/5, he was good off the bench in that role.

I’d rather trade for Murray (Cole + Isaac + picks), keep most the cap space and sign a C, re-sign Fultz, Harris,and Ingles to team friendly deals, and draft Da Silva. Then go

Murray/Black/Fultz*
Suggs/Harris/Howard
F.Wagner/Ingles/Houston
Banchero/Da Silva
FA/WCJ/M.Wagner

We’ve improved our shooting as the season goes on, we’ll have to make sure we do in the summer, and that Jett Howard can play too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You had me up to "re-sign Fultz" :nonono: there is no "team-friendly deal" for a guy who just can't do basic NBA things. We have AB to do what Fultz kind of does, but with a lot more upside.
I Rasharted
Sixth Man
And1: 855

Post#168 » by I Rasharted » Thu May 9, 2024 10:13 am

pepe1991 wrote:
I Rasharted wrote:Could the Magic trade for Murray and sign Thompson? Too lazy to figure it out on my own. (I don't have much interest in Thompson but he'd give the Magic cover for the We Love Character Guys angle.)

It would lead to very ugly salary situation in near future

Well poo.
basketballRob wrote:Another good benefit about eating plants is that the artery going to your penis gets unclogged and starts flowing real good.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,186

Post#169 » by OrlChamps2030 » Thu May 9, 2024 5:06 pm

I like Murray, Simons, and Monk for this team.

… the order of preference changes for me daily
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,237

Post#170 » by cedric76 » Thu May 9, 2024 5:59 pm

OrlChamps2030 wrote:I like Murray, Simons, and Monk for this team.

People saying Simmons don't understand our cap situation. If we trade for him , we ll have a VERY hard decision to make once his contract expires in 2026.

Something that wouldn't happen when trading for Murray or offering a 4yr deal to Monk
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,663

Post#171 » by Skin » Thu May 9, 2024 6:05 pm

Knowing how conservative that Weltman is, I really can't be serious about some of the names on this poll... Booker, Trae, George... and as much as I would love Murray, I can't see us matching the assets that ATL would want for him.

...and even though Klay has been linked in the rumor mill to us, I don't think that at 34 years old that ORL would be committed to giving him a deal that he would want.

So if I'm being honest with myself, I would revote for Tyus Jones. Honestly, I think he's perfect for us. At 27 years old, he's still got prime years left, while also being a veteran. Someone who could help mentor Black. He's a proven commodity. You know you're gonna play smart basketball. High IQ is needed in the playoffs. Can you imagine what having a PG who could dish out 15-17 assists vs 1-2 turnovers would be like? Tyus has multiple instances of these types of games... and he can keep defenders honest with his ability to hit 3s respectfully. Affordability should also be considered. I would guess somewhere around $17-20M per year. Wizards were asking for a 1st rounder at the trade deadline, but nobody bit knowing he would hit the open market. Now I expect him to get competition for his services.
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,983

Post#172 » by Nyce_1 » Thu May 9, 2024 6:26 pm

cedric76 wrote:

People saying Simmons don't understand our cap situation. If we trade for him , we ll have a VERY hard decision to make once his contract expires in 2026.

Something that wouldn't happen when trading for Murray or offering a 4yr deal to Monk
Couldn't we extend him and solve that worry, after next season?
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,954

Post#173 » by basketballRob » Thu May 9, 2024 6:39 pm

Nyce_1 wrote:
cedric76 wrote:

Couldn't we extend him and solve that worry, after next season?
Yes. That's why I get the feeling he'll be traded at the deadline, and an extension will already be worked out.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,857

Post#174 » by Knightro » Thu May 9, 2024 6:58 pm

Nyce_1 wrote:Couldn't we extend him and solve that worry, after next season?

They could, sure.

Simons has just 2 years left on his deal at 26.7 AAV. He presumably wouldn't be willing to take a reduction from his roughly 18% of the cap he's at now on his next contract.

With the cap rising by 10% a year, you're looking at something like 4/138 to extend Simons - roughly 34.5 AAV.

Murray is signed for the next 4 years at 28.5M AAV.

Monk is likely signing a 3-4 year deal in the 22-23M AAV range.

Breaking it down over the next 4 seasons...

Monk 22.5 AAV
Murray: 28.5M AAV
Simons 30.6 AAV (two years of 26.7M AAV + 2 years of 34.5M AAV)

Is Simons worth 8M more per season than Monk on average? Once Franz and Suggs and Paolo's extensions are all kicked in, is Simons worth 12M more per season? Is he worth more than Murray at all?

Not sure about either of those.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,663

Post#175 » by Skin » Thu May 9, 2024 7:21 pm

I used to like Simmons, but nah. Way too injury prone and I think POR will ask for too much.

Gimme Tyus Jones and Gary Trent Jr.

PG Tyus Jones / Anthony Black
SG Jalen Suggs / Gary Trent Jr
SF Franz Wagner / Jett Howard
PF Paolo Banchero / Jonathan Isaac
C Wendell Carter Jr / Mo Wagner

We don't lose our identity, but we get drastically better. Trent is an unselfish player who has played the 6th man role before, but shouldn't feel like he can't compete to be a starter. If we pay him what he wants, I think he's a near perfect fit for us.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#176 » by Skybox » Thu May 9, 2024 7:40 pm

cedric76 wrote:

I don't think anyone here wants Simmons and his $40m contract. Guy doesn't even play.

Anfernee Simons, on the other hand...Having too much talent is a problem we should look forward to...or, just stick to $13m guys like Cole. The reality of a true contender is a very expensive top 5 or 6 and then a steep decrease in salaries for the bench guys. We've got guys like Harris, Ingram, Fultz, Cole, Isaac, Mo making way too much for bench players...it doesn't work that way and those guys at those salaries only make sense when you're payroll is flat...it's not going to be flat for long. I understand that Weltman lined up those contracts to (mostly) vanish this summer and that indicates he may yet be trying to plug the gaping holes in our offense.

Isaac is kind of the payroll wildcard...we've been so busy hoping he gets back and stays on the court that his $17m was easily taken for granted (or even waived if he crashed again). Now, he'll likely be due a raise next summer...he may become a casualty if Weltman is forced to make priority choices vs just paying everybody all of the time...that's the kind of problem I'd hope he gets to deal with - which of the tremendous talents contributes more to our future and who do we move for other assets?

Bargain hunting time is over as we move into serious territory.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,237

Post#177 » by cedric76 » Thu May 9, 2024 8:46 pm

Skybox wrote:
cedric76 wrote:

I don't think anyone here wants Simmons and his $40m contract. Guy doesn't even play.

Anfernee Simons, on the other hand...Having too much talent is a problem we should look forward to...or, just stick to $13m guys like Cole. The reality of a true contender is a very expensive top 5 or 6 and then a steep decrease in salaries for the bench guys. We've got guys like Harris, Ingram, Fultz, Cole, Isaac, Mo making way too much for bench players...it doesn't work that way and those guys at those salaries only make sense when you're payroll is flat...it's not going to be flat for long. I understand that Weltman lined up those contracts to (mostly) vanish this summer and that indicates he may yet be trying to plug the gaping holes in our offense.

Isaac is kind of the payroll wildcard...we've been so busy hoping he gets back and stays on the court that his $17m was easily taken for granted (or even waived if he crashed again). Now, he'll likely be due a raise next summer...he may become a casualty if Weltman is forced to make priority choices vs just paying everybody all of the time...that's the kind of problem I'd hope he gets to deal with - which of the tremendous talents contributes more to our future and who do we move for other assets?

Bargain hunting time is over as we move into serious territory.

Issue isn't having too much talent, Simons ' contract ends in 2026, this is what people don't get.

Fortunately wepark understand how cap works unlike people here
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,585

Post#178 » by eyriq » Thu May 9, 2024 8:47 pm

Skin wrote:

I used to like Simmons, but nah. Way too injury prone and I think POR will ask for too much.

Gimme Tyus Jones and Gary Trent Jr.

PG Tyus Jones / Anthony Black
SG Jalen Suggs / Gary Trent Jr
SF Franz Wagner / Jett Howard
PF Paolo Banchero / Jonathan Isaac
C Wendell Carter Jr / Mo Wagner

We don't lose our identity, but we get drastically better. Trent is an unselfish player who has played the 6th man role before, but shouldn't feel like he can't compete to be a starter. If we pay him what he wants, I think he's a near perfect fit for us.
Nice plan right here, well done
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,542

Post#179 » by jezzerinho » Thu May 9, 2024 8:48 pm

A double dip into the Clippers for both George and Terrance Mann would be both achievable and transformative.

If Weltman could pull that move off, it'd change my very anaemic opinion of his FA abilities completely.

George has turned down a number of extension offers, loves the Magic and could really thrive surrounded by energetic kids with brains and team spirit.

Mann is a quiet hero of that Clips team. He's got a bit of everything and, if he didn't have to defer so much, would probably be a bigger deal on another team. Word is, he's not being extended. Has only a year left, so could be very gettable for relatively little. Cole, two 2nds and a pick swap or something?
sChOlaRlY_Magi
Sixth Man
And1: 344

Post#180 » by sChOlaRlY_Magi » Thu May 9, 2024 8:48 pm

BCS wrote:
ogmagicfan wrote:
SOUL wrote:Tyus is a last ditch one for me, he does not move the needle at all as a volume shooter or a defender. Can move the ball well and helps with turnover stuff, but actively taking the ball out of the hands of Franz and Paolo will also neutralize them a bit. We need to cut down on their on-ball creation usage but still use them quite a bit otherwise.

Voting Paul George or Monk. I think PG gets resigned though, I don't see the Clippers not paying him and relying on Kawhi all while getting a re-brand update with "The Wall" or whatever they have coming too.

I don't mind Klay if it's a 2 year deal with a team option on the second, and then signing a backup PG or playing Black a lot of minutes there.

Suns are not moving on from Booker.

We also don't have a lot of salary to involve trades, so it would have to be a three team deal, which makes acquiring guys like Trae and Dejounte harder.

All signs probably point to Monk at the moment.

Tyus is interesting, but ultimately I'd rather him replace Cole off the bench than be our starting PG

PG I think you hit it on the nail, we're probably getting used as a negotiating prop, while the 76ers are the real threat

The salary we have to involve in trades is the annoying part of having so many expiring contracts this yr

So yeah, itd have to be a 3 team deal if we were to trade for any of the players listed
Are we not just able to take on salary in a trade as we are under the cap?

Sent from my SM-A716U using RealGM Forums mobile app

I think you're missing the part where teams can have only so many players on a roster, regardless of cap.

Return to Orlando Magic