ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,110

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0 

Post#1841 » by bigdogdylan5 » Tue May 7, 2024 7:42 pm

Skybox wrote:
bigdogdylan5 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Simons only has 2 years $53m left on his deal. We could acquire him and keep everyone but Okeke and Fultz.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app

I feel even stronger with Weltman’s comments yesterday where he said they would only add if it doesn’t mess up what we currently have. Simon’s defense is just going to be an issue for front office and Mosley if he has any say.

I still think it's somewhat "cultural" and coaching...Fultz was a terrible defender prior to Mosley. Cole still is marginal, at best - but he does work hard. Ingles is, well, Ingles...Simons would give such dramatic offensive improvement that it'd be worth a try. He's got a 6'9 wingspan, he's very young and is as physically gifted as anyone in the NBA. I can see how you play next to Dame or Trae and take defense lightly or on a tanking team in POR (when you're not sitting out to help draft odds), but we've all heard Cole and others talk about how contagious Suggs' effort is.

Team Defense is fun when you've got that rep and savages like Suggs and Isaac (and, maybe, Black) in the trenches with you. When they start locking guys down and making them whine to the refs - it becomes a real team identity when noone enjoys playing your team, regardless of where you are relative in the standings.

Will see but I find it very unlikely they will grab a guy who was literally the worst advanced defensive player in the league who received a good amount of mins. Especially having to trade assets for him. I am assuming he would cost at least two picks. Defense will always be priority 1 for this front office and coaching staff.
Fine print disclaimer for Fultz:
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year… and I did and he sucks time to move on.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,666

Post#1842 » by Skin » Tue May 7, 2024 7:45 pm

Knightro wrote:
MartinsIzAfraud wrote:Which is where my hope for a Tyus like guard would work. A smaller usage rate and dealt with Poole/FKyleKuzma be ball hogs yet still had a positive year. He doesn't have to have the ball in his hand but if he does we're not screwed because he can run sets and shoot.

My biggest worry is that we don't see Paolo clean up these turnovers and we become too dependent on ISO P.

My concern with Tyus, and maybe some of this can be explained away by the fact he played on a tanking team where nothing mattered, but EPM ranked him as the 501st player defensively this year.

That's bottom of the barrel bad.

Offensively he's certainly a steady hand. High assist and low turnover and he shot the ball very well this year too.

Not sure he's a starter on a good team. Feels like he is best suited to play the role he played in Memphis a couple of years ago.

Coming off the bench and playing about 20 MPG on a 56 win team. Basically I'd love to get him to fill Cole's role, but I don't think he really solves the lead guard problem.

What Tyus offers in offensive efficiency makes up for some of that. His Ast/To rate is elite. As good as Suggs is stealing the ball, his bad passes are frustrating. Also, we don't have a single guard on the team like Tyus as far as his playmaking goes. Adding that dimension further opens up our ability to strategize.

He's not my first choice... that would be Dejounte. But Tyrus is available in FA. I honestly wouldn't mind getting both of them.
Skin
RealGM

Post#1843 » by Skin » Tue May 7, 2024 7:49 pm

IllMagic04 wrote:
Knightro wrote:
axl_c_cool wrote:What would you do?

I would aggressively look to acquire a lead guard, whether that's Trae or Murray or Russell or Monk (if you think he can be a PG) or somebody else.

I would move Suggs to full time SG and I would have Paolo and Franz facilitating less than they do now.

I'm not suggesting any of those three guys should never handle the ball or never initiate offense, but I think there's a way to find the happy medium between never and always.

How aggressive would you be for Trae or Murray. What package would you offer?

I don't think Trae is the right fit for the way our team is currently constructed.

For Murray, I would give up a combination of Suggs, WCj, Black, Jett, Cole, picks, take on a bad contract. I would not trade Franz, Paolo, or JI.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,964

Post#1844 » by Knightro » Tue May 7, 2024 7:51 pm

Skin wrote:I don't think Trae is the right fit for the way our team is currently constructed.

For Murray, I would give up a combination of Suggs, WCj, Black, Jett, Cole, picks, take on a bad contract. I would not trade Franz, Paolo, or JI.

I know you're not a Suggs guy, but giving up Suggs for Murray is a total non-starter for me.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,980

Post#1845 » by thelead » Tue May 7, 2024 7:52 pm

Internal growth and building around Paolo, Franz, and Suggs without losing our identity... sounds like a major player is not in the cards. Also says we were a decent shooting team after Jan 1st... I dunno but it doesn't sound like big splashes will be made... but that's expected from this FO if we're being honest.
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 728

Post#1846 » by RichCollab » Tue May 7, 2024 7:54 pm

Skin wrote:
IllMagic04 wrote:
Knightro wrote:
I would aggressively look to acquire a lead guard, whether that's Trae or Murray or Russell or Monk (if you think he can be a PG) or somebody else.

I would move Suggs to full time SG and I would have Paolo and Franz facilitating less than they do now.

I'm not suggesting any of those three guys should never handle the ball or never initiate offense, but I think there's a way to find the happy medium between never and always.

I don't think Trae is the right fit for the way our team is currently constructed.

Murray is not the level of talent I would even consider trading Suggs for. Murray spent time in Juvenile detention I highly doubt the Magic organization would do this given the focus on our current DNA as a team.

I’m not going to say Suggs is untouchable but it has to be a slam dunk for me.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,615

Post#1847 » by eyriq » Tue May 7, 2024 7:59 pm

You trade Suggs for a Booker level talent, and barely.
IllMagic04
Analyst
And1: 1,821

Post#1848 » by IllMagic04 » Tue May 7, 2024 8:11 pm

Knightro wrote:
IllMagic04 wrote:
Knightro wrote:

For Young... any combinations of players not named Paolo, Franz, Suggs and Isaac along with 3 firsts

For Murray... none of the players listed above, one of Black or Howard along with 2 firsts

For Young I don't see the Hawks even having the conversation if Suggs isn't on the menu. Young gets alot of hate but he is an all star guard. Suggs would have to be in the deal. Because of that I can't see us going after Young. If we have Young we need to have enough defense around him to make it work. So Suggs and JI gotta remain on the team. I've been a Trae fan since he was in college but I just dont see how we can make a deal that the Hawks would accept.

For Murray I think that's a fair price, but I think someone would offer a bit more.
Skin
RealGM

Post#1849 » by Skin » Tue May 7, 2024 8:17 pm

Knightro wrote:
Skin wrote:I don't think Trae is the right fit for the way our team is currently constructed.

I know you're not a Suggs guy, but giving up Suggs for Murray is a total non-starter for me.

Suggs did a lot to make me feel better about him this year, but I don't see him becoming a better player than Murray.

Pulling of a trade for Murray makes our offseason plan easy and clear.

Trade for: Dejounte Murray - Do it all PG
Sign: Klay Thompson - Floor spacing
Draft: Kyle Filipowski or Zach Edey - Fills need for size to match up w/MIN/DEN/BOS/PHI

PG Dejounte Murray
SG Klay Thompson
SF Franz Wagner
PF Paolo Banchero
C Wendell Carter Jr

BN: / Anthony Black / Cole Anthony / Jett Howard / Caleb Houstan / Jonathan Isaac / Mo Wagner / Filipowski or Edey
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,964

Post#1851 » by Knightro » Tue May 7, 2024 8:26 pm

Skin wrote:
Knightro wrote:

Suggs did a lot to make me feel better about him this year, but I don't see him becoming a better player than Murray.

Draft: Kyle Filipowski or Zach Edey - Fills need for size to match up w/MIN/DEN/BOS/PHI

PG Dejounte Murray
SG Klay Thompson
SF Franz Wagner
PF Paolo Banchero
C Wendell Carter Jr

BN: / Anthony Black / Cole Anthony / Jett Howard / Caleb Houstan / Jonathan Isaac / Mo Wagner / Filipowski or Edey

He’s already a better player?
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 728

Post#1852 » by RichCollab » Tue May 7, 2024 8:43 pm

Skin wrote:
Knightro wrote:

PG Dejounte Murray
SG Klay Thompson
SF Franz Wagner
PF Paolo Banchero
C Wendell Carter Jr

Don’t see this happening.
I Rasharted
Sixth Man
And1: 856

Post#1853 » by I Rasharted » Tue May 7, 2024 8:57 pm

fendilim wrote:
axl_c_cool wrote:
I Rasharted wrote:Problem with trading for Murray is that the Hawks know the Magic could really use him. Barrel = over. Not sure what ORL can do about that.

Put Isaac + 3 FRP including Denver, if they ask for more offer Cole Antony and walk away if they say no.

People have said WCJ, but I think he’s to valuable to the core and what we do.

They get 3 picks, cap relief, and a scoring guard to back up Trey Young

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i’d put WCJ and get one of their bigs.

Isaac and 3 1sts (one being Denver's) for Murray = sold. Someone call whoever the hell the Hawks' GM is.
basketballRob wrote:Another good benefit about eating plants is that the artery going to your penis gets unclogged and starts flowing real good.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,581

Post#1854 » by Bensational » Tue May 7, 2024 9:00 pm

bigdogdylan5 wrote:I fear this roster will be tough to round out. I understand they want to keep the ball in Paolo and Franz hands as the ultimate ceiling of this team is they are very versatile offensive playmakers. However this offense this year proved that might not be one year out. It might be several years out. You need a more traditional point guard to help out until they’re ready even if it’s 20 minutes a game. You also need shooting but if you pay a lot for a shooter then that forces Suggs to be that facilitator which he is not ready for. I think you really have room for one acquisition. Black needs to get consistent minutes and if Jeff is going to speak so awesomely about Jett like he did yesterday he has earned minutes too.

It’s all going to hinge on the development of Paolo, Franz and Suggs - and they’ve all got so much room for improvement and refinement.

I think Suggs will only continue to get better over time as he learns to slow his game and pace and control his intensity. He can feel good that he has established himself as an elite defender and perimeter shooter, so now he can really focus on ballhandling and playmaking, and I think over the next 3-5 seasons that will just get better and better.

The 3 of them will have to work on their chemistry and playmaking together because it’s disappointing how little they run 2-man actions. And all of them need to learn how to run a decent PnR and how to throw a lob.

If WePark want to continue to give them a lot of room and touches they’ll need to find someone like Brogdon who can either start or come off the bench, who can play on or off ball.
I Rasharted
Sixth Man
And1: 856

Post#1855 » by I Rasharted » Tue May 7, 2024 9:01 pm

eyriq wrote:You trade Suggs for a Booker level talent, and barely.

basketballRob wrote:Another good benefit about eating plants is that the artery going to your penis gets unclogged and starts flowing real good.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,958

Post#1856 » by basketballRob » Tue May 7, 2024 9:15 pm

According to the Warriors beat writer, the Warriors rescinded the 2-yr $48m dollar offer that they made during the season. He thinks the Warriors won't offer that much again to Thompson. The beat writer thinks 2-yrs $48m is too much for him.

I don't think we shouldn't offer more than $50-55m for 2-yrs. Why would we pay more when Golden State won't even give him 2-yrs $48m?

Apparently, Steve Kerr said in his exit interview that Thompson's role would be off the bench next year.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/76Nj9N0J1JAw8WCF3o98SY?si=HWMQPcMiRpqXgTV3shnKJw
Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,584

Post#1857 » by ibraheim718 » Tue May 7, 2024 9:31 pm

Klay is really competitive and he hates to lose so the mentality fits the team. The questions are going to be..

1) Will the game be easier for him playing off of Banchero and Wagner than it was the last year in GSW?

2) How does his body feel?

3) How much has his defense fallen off? Klay was a really good defender in his prime so has he dropped to an average defender?

Mentality, experience, professionalism, competitive nature, and his ability to shoot fit the archetype that Orlando is looking for.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,584

Post#1858 » by ibraheim718 » Tue May 7, 2024 9:33 pm

eyriq wrote:You trade Suggs for a Booker level talent, and barely.

There really is no reason to trade him for anyone. He is still going to get better. Do you trade a 15/5/5/2 (this is where I project his peak numbers to settle at) all defense guy in his prime. No you don't.
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 600

Post#1859 » by MasterGMer » Tue May 7, 2024 9:41 pm

TBH I do not like Trae Young, he could be the perfect offensive fit to this offense. But what about his defense? Again, I also think that he is going to be ultra expensive, probably would cost us three first round picks plus AB and Jett or even more. Would you do that? I wouldn't.

I like Klay idea and I think he could impact the team more than on the floor and in the locker room mentoring our young guys also. That is a Chris Paul addition years ago for the Suns. That WILL impact us in the W column.

I also think Magic should explore the Paul George or DAngelo Russell situation. Yes, Klay will help us but that doesn't solve our ball attacking pick and roll offensive option. Paul George will be a long shot since he is a UFA. DAngelo will be more realistic, but I do not know the interest level from Magic organization.

Again, this will be a very interesting summer. And anything can happen! Get Ready!
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,159

Post#1860 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Tue May 7, 2024 9:48 pm

thelead wrote:

Internal growth and building around Paolo, Franz, and Suggs without losing our identity... sounds like a major player is not in the cards. Also says we were a decent shooting team after Jan 1st... I dunno but it doesn't sound like big splashes will be made... but that's expected from this FO if we're being honest.

See we probably were but that doesn’t matter because we barely shoot the 3. I also think it’s less of needing a shooter vs a Pg who can run an actual offense.

If we sit and do nothing then this board will blow up
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:

Return to Orlando Magic