ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,858

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0 

Post#1941 » by Knightro » Wed May 8, 2024 2:16 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:Monk is really a no brainer.

Monk makes more sense to me than Klay does.

Monk's ability to create offense off the bounce, both as a scorer and passer, seems like a bigger need for this team than Klay's shooting and off-ball gravity.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,954

Post#1942 » by basketballRob » Wed May 8, 2024 2:29 pm

Brandon Kravitz on a morning show that follows Golden State.

https://www.youtube.com/live/00dg-Wq4Wq4?feature=shared

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
doct3r dr3
RealGM
And1: 2,517

Post#1943 » by doct3r dr3 » Wed May 8, 2024 2:43 pm

Going into free agency, there seems to be agreement that the Magic need accurate, volume 3-point shooting from the guard position, without compromising their defensive identity. (Essentially, an upgrade at the Gary Harris position). I've compiled below some of the top 3-point shooting guards in free agency and sorted them by DBPM (an estimated measure of defensive impact).

Some players that stand out:

Gary Harris - At least according to DBPM, he is actually the best defender of the bunch by a good deal. The Magic would be wise not to sacrifice too much in the way of perimeter defense in the pursuit of upgrading the volume 3-point shooting, as this was a major part of the team's identity.

Kentavious Caldwell-Pope - A two-time NBA Champion, this 31-year-old veteran has the next-best DBPM of the bunch. His 3-point volume and accuracy are a bit better than Gary Harris'.

Buddy Hield - Seems to have the best combination of volume (6.8 3PA/G) and accuracy (.436 3P%), with above-average DBPM for this group.

Luke Kennard - A pretty stunning .450 3P%, on fairly high volume.

Klay Thompson - Four-time NBA Champion with the greatest pure shooting reputation of the bunch. Shot the highest volume, but not the greatest percentage, and DBPM was poor this year.

To my mind, it's not the end of the world if the Magic miss out on Paul George, Klay Thompson, and Malik Monk. There's still a chance to upgrade at guard with someone like KCP, Buddy Hield, or Luke Kennard, and maybe even have enough room to swing for a big like Nic Claxton or Isaiah Hartenstein.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Reached for a 2nd round talent in Nicholson.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,585

Post#1944 » by eyriq » Wed May 8, 2024 2:44 pm

Weltman mentioned that our top 3 scorers are 22 and younger. Mentioned the impact of internal development as 34 -> 47. Mentioned not sacrificing our DNA.

To me, that reads as a vote of confidence in Paolo, Franz, and Suggs.

I 100% expect rotation turnover. However, I do not expect us to bring in someone that disrupts who our top three scorers are. The implications of this is that we say no to George, Monk, Murray, Trae, Russell, etc.

Which leaves Claxton, Hartenstein, Tyus, Klay, etc.
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,110

Post#1945 » by bigdogdylan5 » Wed May 8, 2024 2:44 pm

Knightro wrote:
bigdogdylan5 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Simmons, Windhorst, Russilo, and more have said Franz isn't a max player.

Ok so what’s the number is it 35-40 when the full max is 43-45? I don’t think he gets a dollar under 35. There are enough bad teams that need a forward that would give him full max next year.

Franz's max is 25% of the 2025-2026 cap. That is projected to be right around 155M.

So a full max for Franz would start at 38.75M.

Assuming it's a 5-year deal with standard 8% raises...

25-26 (age 24 season): 38.75M on a 155.1M cap - 25% of cap
26-27 (age 25 season): 41.85M on 170.6M cap - 24.5% of cap
27-28 (age 26 season): 45.19M on 187.6M cap - 24.0% of cap
28-29 (age 27 season): 48.80M on 206.3M cap - 23.6% of cap
29-30 (age 28 season): 52.70M on 226.9M cap - 23.2% of cap

Total: 5 years, 227.29M - 45.45 AAV

His contract wouldn't be a flat 25% of the salary cap all five years because the cap is projected to increase by more on a year-to-year basis than Franz's contract would increase (10% v. 8%).

Sorry poorly worded I meant to ask Rob if it’s not a max what would you be comfortable giving Franz? If the max is 45.5 with the estimated cap and that is too much what should we offer?
Fine print disclaimer for Fultz:
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year… and I did and he sucks time to move on.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1946 » by eyriq » Wed May 8, 2024 2:53 pm

doct3r dr3 wrote:Going into free agency, there seems to be agreement that the Magic need accurate, volume 3-point shooting from the guard position, without compromising their defensive identity. (Essentially, an upgrade at the Gary Harris position). I've compiled below some of the top 3-point shooting guards in free agency and sorted them by DBPM (an estimated measure of defensive impact).

Gary Harris - At least according to DBPM, he is actually the best defender of the bunch by a good deal. The Magic would be wise not to sacrifice too much in the way of perimeter defense in the pursuit of upgrading the volume 3-point shooting, as this was a major part of the team's identity.

Kentavious Caldwell-Pope - A two-time NBA Champion, this 31-year-old veteran has the next-best DBPM of the bunch. His 3-point volume and accuracy are a bit better than Gary Harris'.

Buddy Hield - Seems to have the best combination of volume (6.8 3PA/G) and accuracy (.436 3P%), with above-average DBPM for this group.

Klay Thompson - Four-time NBA Champion with the greatest pure shooting reputation of the bunch. Shot the highest volume, but not the greatest percentage, and DBPM was poor this year.

To my mind, it's not the end of the world if the Magic miss out on Paul George, Klay Thompson, and Malik Monk. There's still a chance to upgrade at guard with someone like KCP, Buddy Hield, or Luke Kennard, and maybe even have enough room to swing for a big like Nic Claxton or Isaiah Hartenstein.
Interesting options on there, nice work
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,954

Post#1947 » by basketballRob » Wed May 8, 2024 3:22 pm

bigdogdylan5 wrote:
Knightro wrote:
bigdogdylan5 wrote:Ok so what’s the number is it 35-40 when the full max is 43-45? I don’t think he gets a dollar under 35. There are enough bad teams that need a forward that would give him full max next year.

Franz's max is 25% of the 2025-2026 cap. That is projected to be right around 155M.

So a full max for Franz would start at 38.75M.

Assuming it's a 5-year deal with standard 8% raises...

25-26 (age 24 season): 38.75M on a 155.1M cap - 25% of cap
26-27 (age 25 season): 41.85M on 170.6M cap - 24.5% of cap
27-28 (age 26 season): 45.19M on 187.6M cap - 24.0% of cap
28-29 (age 27 season): 48.80M on 206.3M cap - 23.6% of cap
29-30 (age 28 season): 52.70M on 226.9M cap - 23.2% of cap

Total: 5 years, 227.29M - 45.45 AAV

His contract wouldn't be a flat 25% of the salary cap all five years because the cap is projected to increase by more on a year-to-year basis than Franz's contract would increase (10% v. 8%).

Sorry poorly worded I meant to ask Rob if it’s not a max what would you be comfortable giving Franz? If the max is 45.5 with the estimated cap and that is too much what should we offer?
$26-28m to start.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Black and Blue
Sixth Man
And1: 1,462

Post#1948 » by Black and Blue » Wed May 8, 2024 3:27 pm

eyriq wrote:Weltman mentioned that our top 3 scorers are 22 and younger. Mentioned the impact of internal development as 34 -> 47. Mentioned not sacrificing our DNA.

I 100% expect rotation turnover. However, I do not expect us to bring in someone that disrupts who our top three scorers are. The implications of this is that we say no to George, Monk, Murray, Trae, Russell, etc.

Interesting take. You very well may be right. The 'sacrificing our DNA' statement is a bit nebulous, because only he and the front office know for sure what they prioritize above all else. I took it to mean their identity as a defensive-minded team, full of young players (especially the 3 he kept referencing), with a large amount of flexible contracts that can easily be traded/voided. For the reasons I outlined and more, I think they will take into account the following attributes more than the fans expect:

-Defensive ability
-Ability to sign/trade for shorter term deals
-Personality to fit in with group
-Players who have the ability to become an alpha in a pinch

I do actually think they will leave no stone unturned as far as vetting players for trade/signing, but if a players falls outside of 2 or more of those attributes they won't go out of their way to bog down the cap with them.

On a side note, I think our rookies from last year are real wildcards this offseason. I could see the team clearing time for both of them just as much as I could see both players being jettisoned as part of a trade. I don't particularly feel strongly either way, especially if it helps the team long term. The team has to huddle with the G-League and developmental coaches and have some serious discussions of how far each are from contributing and the ramifications of spending too much time while Paolo is showing he is ready to compete now.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,050

Post#1949 » by fendilim » Wed May 8, 2024 3:32 pm

Bergmaniac wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Simmons, Windhorst, Russilo, and more have said Franz isn't a max player.

How many of these "experts" have actually watched Franz outside of the few times he plays against their favourite team?

They’ve probably watched more times other team’s players to be able to compare Franz with other team’s max players…
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1950 » by Knightro » Wed May 8, 2024 3:34 pm

doct3r dr3 wrote:Going into free agency, there seems to be agreement that the Magic need accurate, volume 3-point shooting from the guard position, without compromising their defensive identity. (Essentially, an upgrade at the Gary Harris position). I've compiled below some of the top 3-point shooting guards in free agency and sorted them by DBPM (an estimated measure of defensive impact).

Several of the options on this list - specifically George, Russell, Monk and Jones - provide far more than just the shooting and defense you've turned this list into.

The case could certainly be made that the Magic would benefit much more from a player who can do something off the dribble than trying to upgrade Gary with another "3&D" type of player.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,201

Post#1951 » by zaymon » Wed May 8, 2024 3:35 pm

eyriq wrote:Weltman mentioned that our top 3 scorers are 22 and younger. Mentioned the impact of internal development as 34 -> 47. Mentioned not sacrificing our DNA.

He also mentions building a reputation so good players want to come here and not being hesitant to make moves that make sense.
I read it that we are willing to use assets to move for stars but we wont use assets on average players. Our DNA is defense but also being competetive. I also remember interview where one of our players or coach praised Young improved defense.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,832

Post#1952 » by Skybox » Wed May 8, 2024 4:03 pm

I agree and I don't agree...I don't think Weltman would (or should) bring in a new #1 option or ego ...I think the ideal addition could be the #2 scoring avg. guy but not necessarily the 2nd or even 3rd best player on the team. I think that could be Monk, Murray, or Simons (just for my usual examples)...I don't think any of them necessarily overshadow any of the existing top 3 overall or take over in any real way. Any of them could score between 16 and 22 ppg, imo (less than they would on a bad team) but occasionally go for 30+ when teams bet on doubling the forwards and daring him...but I don't think that kind of scorer/initiator necessarily changes the team dynamic, where Paolo is the clear Alpha and Franz is the secondary version of Paolo. The new addition would play off of their immense (and growing) gravity and make their lives easier by creating easier buckets for them and presenting another threat that defenses can't be ignored. I don't know how anyone watching this whole season comes away with the idea that Paolo just needs to do more...He's awesome, but that kind of "every damn possession" load is just not sustainable or a winning formula.

I really don't see Weltman jumping for a Trae Young, who would completely change the dynamic of the team (on both ends) and absolutely push even Paolo back a few steps in the offensive pecking order. I also don't see the expensive band-aid of Paul George, although it'd certainly be worth exploring role and mentality with him if he was actually interested. Klay, at this point, is just a headline-grabbing, seat-filling, checkbook-emptying version of Buddy Hield, Kennard, Beasley, GTJ, imo...that would be a short-term, costly addition that I don't feel would move the team's ceiling much. I think Gary Harris' defense would be missed, Klay would get up and make a lot of 3's, but that wouldn't solve much beyond that need and he's only getting older.

I've said ad nauseam that Dejounte might be the only guy out there that seems to fill ALL of the holes without opening any new ones. Monk or Simons are close but this team's defensive identity would (possibly) be compromised a bit and neither is the PG that Murray has been. Murray isn't the shooter that Simons is (almost nobody is) but he's able and willing to get up shots and must be respected by defenders. Despite all of the "beef" crap, the fact that Paolo and Murray have a longstanding mentor relationship is also of value, imo. Murray is a hardnosed competitor and I think that will resonate even louder with Paolo and Suggs' fierce vibe.

Monk is most realistic and easily attainable. Simons should be as he's looking like the third guard on a tank team with salary cap issues (so not necessarily looking for a win-now piece back). Murray will be pursued by quite a few teams and I don't see ATL looking for picks and cap relief - so harder challenge (but still best option)...any would be significant improvements without blowing up the existing core's dynamic, in a bad way. Trailing the pack is Brogdon, who should be relatively cheap, a really great fit on paper -but older and with more of an injury history- so not so much a long term solution.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,138

Post#1953 » by Residual-Heat » Wed May 8, 2024 4:13 pm

Malik Monk cooking the NBA's best defensive team.
;t=21s&pp=ygUKbWFsaWsgbW9uaw%3D%3D

Malik Monk cooking the NBA's second best defensive team :lol:
;pp=ygUQbWFsaWsgbW9uayBtYWdpYw%3D%3D
three3d
Junior
And1: 72

Post#1954 » by three3d » Wed May 8, 2024 4:15 pm

Anfernee Simons !! He will be turning 25 this summer 22.6 ppg 3.6 RPG 5.5 APG at 38.5% three point percentage this season and his best 3ball season was 42.6%

- Does he have the capability of being even better in Orlando?
-Home town (family lol) type player
-fits this age and timeline currently on
-fits pg/sg needs

Mainly interested in seeing if he could be freed from Portland and possibly level up in Orlando.
Also would Deandre Ayton be an upgrade over Wendell?
doct3r dr3
RealGM
And1: 2,517

Post#1955 » by doct3r dr3 » Wed May 8, 2024 4:17 pm

Knightro wrote:
doct3r dr3 wrote:
Spoiler:
Going into free agency, there seems to be agreement that the Magic need accurate, volume 3-point shooting from the guard position, without compromising their defensive identity. (Essentially, an upgrade at the Gary Harris position). I've compiled below some of the top 3-point shooting guards in free agency and sorted them by DBPM (an estimated measure of defensive impact).

Several of the options on this list - specifically George, Russell, Monk and Jones - provide far more than they shooting and defense you've turned this list into.

The case could certainly be made that the Magic would benefit much more from a player who can do something off the dribble than trying to upgrade Gary with another "3&D" type of player.

In fairness, the Magic were 30th in 3PM, whereas they were 28th in AST and 24th in TO, so as bad as the playmaking numbers were, the shooting numbers were even worse. That said, I wouldn't disagree entirely with adding playmaking, but I also think there's some logic to forcing Paolo, Suggs and Franz into that playmaking role for the sake of their development, as they did with Victor Oladipo. Adding more floor spacing should allow them to flourish as playmakers, as they'd have more space to operate, and more shooting threats to pass to.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Reached for a 2nd round talent in Nicholson.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1956 » by eyriq » Wed May 8, 2024 4:38 pm

Black and Blue wrote:

Interesting take. You very well may be right. The 'sacrificing our DNA' statement is a bit nebulous, because only he and the front office know for sure what they prioritize above all else. I took it to mean their identity as a defensive-minded team, full of young players (especially the 3 he kept referencing), with a large amount of flexible contracts that can easily be traded/voided. For the reasons I outlined and more, I think they will take into account the following attributes more than the fans expect:

-Defensive ability
-Ability to sign/trade for shorter term deals
-Personality to fit in with group
-Players who have the ability to become an alpha in a pinch

I do actually think they will leave no stone unturned as far as vetting players for trade/signing, but if a players falls outside of 2 or more of those attributes they won't go out of their way to bog down the cap with them.

On a side note, I think our rookies from last year are real wildcards this offseason. I could see the team clearing time for both of them just as much as I could see both players being jettisoned as part of a trade. I don't particularly feel strongly either way, especially if it helps the team long term. The team has to huddle with the G-League and developmental coaches and have some serious discussions of how far each are from contributing and the ramifications of spending too much time while Paolo is showing he is ready to compete now.
I suspect the vision is to be contenders by the '27 post-season. I think the timing of this allows them to set player development as their key '25 objective. The 34 -> 47 driven by player development reinforces the belief in organic growth. Moves focused on making life easier for Paolo, Franz, and Suggs likely take priority over moves that increase the top line wins. I also think that an objective for '25 is to get AB and Jett into the rotation. To achieve this you avoid blockers.

This logic inevitably brings me back to Claxton and CP as our top targets. Claxton is another All-Defense talent with terrific hands and rebounding. CP is a floor general that can serve as a relief valve for playmaking duties and help get the boys shots in their optimal spots.

I think in this scenario we keep Ingles and let Harris and Fultz walk.
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 723

Post#1957 » by RichCollab » Wed May 8, 2024 4:46 pm

Creation and playmaker is just as important as 3pt percentage. This focus on 3pt% isn’t enough. Team can impact the defensive stats a great deal.

RichCollab
Starter
And1: 723

Post#1958 » by RichCollab » Wed May 8, 2024 4:49 pm

Knightro wrote:

Several of the options on this list - specifically George, Russell, Monk and Jones - provide far more than they shooting and defense you've turned this list into.

100%
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1959 » by Knightro » Wed May 8, 2024 5:06 pm

doct3r dr3 wrote:In fairness, the Magic were 30th in 3PM, whereas they were 28th in AST and 24th in TO, so as bad as the playmaking numbers were, the shooting numbers were even worse. That said, I wouldn't disagree entirely with adding playmaking, but I also think there's some logic to forcing Paolo, Suggs and Franz into that playmaking role for the sake of their development, as they did with Victor Oladipo. Adding more floor spacing should allow them to flourish as playmakers, as they'd have more space to operate, and more shooting threats to pass to.

You are correct about the 3PM ranks v. the AST and TO ranks.

That said...

In my opinion, the biggest reason for the Magic's 3PT makes problem came from the fact that Orlando's two highest usage and highest shot attempt players on the team simply did not make many threes at a high enough percentage comparatively speaking to their peers around the league.

Let's dive deeper...

Top 10 offenses this season were: Boston, Indiana, Oklahoma City, LA Clippers, Denver, Milwaukee, New York, Dallas, Golden State and Phoenix. Here's how many threes each team's top two total shot attempt players made this season...

Tatum and Brown: 374 threes
Haliburton and Turner: 311 threes
SGA and Williams: 198 threes
George and Leonard: 383 threes
Jokic and Porter: 303 threes
Giannis and Lillard: 254 threes
Brunson and DDV: 494 threes
Luka and Kyrie: 457 threes
Curry and Klay: 625 threes
Durant and Booker: 320 threes

Paolo and Franz this season combined to make just 213 threes this season at 31.1%. Simply put, Paolo and Franz combined were one of the very worst 3PT shooting (volume and accuracy) top duos in the sport. Not hating, but just factual information.

The issue, at least to me, is not going to be solved by the Magic's role players making more threes ultimately. That will help, but only to a limited extent. Until the volume and the accuracy tick up from Paolo and Franz, the Magic are going to continue to be one of the worst teams in the league at 3PTM/3PT%.

Now...

How can they mitigate their existing 3PTM/3PT% problem and still improve offensively outside of those two guys simply getting better at shooting?

By adding a player, preferably a guard, who can consistently make plays off the dribble - both for himself and for his teammates. That should lead to more easy buckets from said guard, and it should lead to fewer spammed Paolo/Franz isolations (they won't go away completely and nor should they) which should lead to more ball movement, more player movement, more open shot attempts and fewer turnovers.

All ways the Magic can uptick offensively regardless of how well Paolo and Franz shoot the ball (and I expect them both to shoot better than last year).
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,670

Post#1960 » by orlando_joe » Wed May 8, 2024 5:28 pm

eyriq wrote:

Interesting options on there, nice work

so the answer is get gary harris more shots to me? other options not great improvement for the cost

Return to Orlando Magic