ImageImageImageImage

Glen Davis future on the Magic?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

mbn23
Pro Prospect
And1: 76

Re: Glen Davis future on the Magic? 

Post#21 » by mbn23 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:51 am

GameOver25 wrote:
bluesteelmagic wrote:
They guy is an extremely efficient scorer

thats a joke, right?

Maybe he meant he's constantly shooting mid-range jumpers.

Maybe he's a poor man's Gortat. But hopefully we can get better trade assets that what Otis got for Gortat.
Just Sayin
Javanar
Pro Prospect
And1: 57

Post#22 » by Javanar » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:10 pm

cedric76 wrote:Hater will hate

BBD wants to be here, he has big heart, he is cheap, great asset to this team

might not be the best PF in the league but can log great minutes at PF and C

and as i said before:

the tandem Vuc+BBD was starting to do very well before injury

with Vuc improving his defense over the summer and BBD losing weight

He is a good player, and a defensively efficient PF is also valuable in NBA, but...

There are 3 young PF's (Harris, AN, O'Quinn) and Harington in roster. At least one of BBD, Harington has to be traded.

Also, he is a player with winner mentality. I really doubt if he wants to be part of the tanking Magic.

That is why I think he will be traded.
I am not a native English speaker...
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,612

Post#23 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:34 pm

and as i said before:

This. It is like everyone expects every player to be young and be future all-stars. FYI. No team in the league is made up of future all stars. The best teams have quality role players. BBD is a quality role players. And, as for shot selection, just about every player makes poor shot selections throughout each game. People are just focusing on BBD's mistakes and ignoring everyone elses. I would go as far as pointing out AA and Meer making worse shot selection than BBD.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant
And1: 917

Post#24 » by KingRobb02 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:36 pm

applash wrote:I'm neutral either way. They guy is an extremely efficient scorer, and lately has shown a defensive presence, and is a proven asset to a championship caliber team. However, with the way this team is constructed now, he is expendable.

People like this love to ignore the fact that we have stats that can tell us precisely how efficient players are these days.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#25 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:45 pm

KingRobb02 wrote:
applash wrote:I'm neutral either way. They guy is an extremely efficient scorer, and lately has shown a defensive presence, and is a proven asset to a championship caliber team. However, with the way this team is constructed now, he is expendable.

People like this love to ignore the fact that we have stats that can tell us precisely how efficient players are these days.

Those stats sure do back up Meer and AA don't they.

Actually, can you show me a team where all starting 5 players have very efficient stats?

There is no such thing as a perfect team.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant

Post#26 » by KingRobb02 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:57 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:
KingRobb02 wrote:

Those stats sure do back up Meer and AA don't they.

Actually, can you show me a team where all starting 5 players have very efficient stats?

Meer and AA aren't efficient on offense either. If you want efficient, The Heat's roster has 10 guys with TS% above league average (.530) and Rashard is just below it at .526... The Magic only have 3. O'Quinn, Nicholson, and Vucevic. Of our rotation players, only E'Twaun Moore has been a less efficient offensive player than Davis.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#27 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:05 pm

KingRobb02 wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:Those stats sure do back up Meer and AA don't they.

Meer and AA aren't efficient on offense either. If you want efficient, The Heat's roster has 10 guys with TS% above league average (.530) and Rashard is just below it at .526... The Magic only have 3. O'Quinn, Nicholson, and Vucevic. Of our rotation players, only E'Twaun Moore has been a less efficient offensive player than Davis.

Now that we are only comparing with the top team in the entire league as a benchmark, then every team is loaded with players who suck. But, lets just take a team like lets say Charlotte or Hornets or Bucks and tell me how efficient their Bigs are compared to BBD.

What I am trying to show is that improving teams are loaded with inefficient players because they lack the talent that allows these players to be more efficient. BBD could be much more efficient given the right chemistry around him.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
XonezIOIzenoX
Senior
And1: 44

Post#28 » by XonezIOIzenoX » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:22 pm

If this was the year 2014 with Wiggins and Jabari Parker coming up on draft, then i would say keep BBD. Because its 2013 and the draft picks are weak, then TRADE BBD. Reason for this is that he can help The Magic Become 8th seed at best given that the east is very weak. I don't want to win enough games just to miss a great chance on lottery picks next year. Trade him to a contender or a team in need of PF.
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant

Post#29 » by KingRobb02 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:33 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:
KingRobb02 wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:Those stats sure do back up Meer and AA don't they.

Now that we are only comparing with the top team in the entire league as a benchmark, then every team is loaded with players who suck. But, lets just take a team like lets say Charlotte or Hornets or Bucks and tell me how efficient their Bigs are compared to BBD.

What I am trying to show is that improving teams are loaded with inefficient players because they lack the talent that allows these players to be more efficient. BBD could be much more efficient given the right chemistry around him.

Did you miss the part where I said Davis is pretty much the least efficient scorer on the worst team in the NBA? I don't have a problem with having bad players in our lineup. My problem is when they think they deserve to shoot more than they need to. Our 3 leaders in shot attempts per game (excluding Harris since most of his playing time has come without AA, Nelson, and Davis in the lineup) are all terribly inefficient. That needs to change.

In case you seriously wanted to know how many big men are more efficient scorers than Davis on bad teams:

Milwaukee (7)
Dalambert, Ayon (post-trade), Ilyasova, Harris (pre-trade), Sanders, Udoh, Henson

Charlotte (2)
Jeff Adrien, McRoberts

New Orleans (7)
Aminu, Darius Miller, Jason Smith, Ryan Anderson, Anthony Davis, Lance Thomas, Robin Lopez

Phoenix (4)
Gortat, O'Neal, PJ Tucker, Scola

Orlando (5)
Nicholson, Ayon (pre-trade), O'Quinn, Vucevic, Harris (post-trade)
SmiteaDwight
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#30 » by SmiteaDwight » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:52 pm

applash wrote:
bluesteelmagic wrote:

thats a joke, right?

Not really, He has a constant mid range shot. A good lost post game. Knows how to draw contact. Shoots FTs well.

:-o
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#31 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:59 pm

It sure is a good thing that the NBA isn't only about Offensive Scoring efficiency percentages.

I guess this is why every team in the league would play BBD over more than half the players you listed above.

FYI. Defense wins championships. This is why I would take BBD over all those players outside of Vucci, Gortat, Anthony Davis, Tobias Harris and Ilyasova (maybe).

I would take a player that can play very good defense, with great footwork, who doesn't get pushed around and has a great Basketball IQ over Offensive Scoring Efficiency. Ask any coach about this also including Henny. It is good to have a mix of players that play good team offense and defense. Magic already have scorers.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
XonezIOIzenoX
Senior

Post#32 » by XonezIOIzenoX » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:12 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:It sure is a good thing that the NBA isn't only about Offensive Scoring efficiency percentages.

I guess this is why every team in the league would play BBD over more than half the players you listed above.

FYI. Defense wins championships. This is why I would take BBD over all those players outside of Vucci, Gortat, Anthony Davis, Tobias Harris and Ilyasova (maybe).

I would take a player that can play very good defense, with great footwork, who doesn't get pushed around and has a great Basketball IQ over Offensive Scoring Efficiency. Ask any coach about this also including Henny. It is good to have a mix of players that play good team offense and defense. Magic already have scorers.

Hey I don't disagree with you concerning BBD, his defense, his hustle, and his efficiency. I only want him to be traded if it give us the better chance of getting a lottery pick next year, thats all. Hey if he happens to be injured (God forbidd) next season then i would love to keep him around for next couple years. See BBD will win us enough games to be 8th seed at best and you don't want to be around that area. I rather spent more time on recruiting new players, rookie contracts, and go from there then to have someone whose ceiling has been reach (He ain't gonna get far better then he he is now). We know what he can bring and that is 8th seed at best (big no no if you are rebuilding and trying to acquire a franchise type player within the 2014 draft (Wiggins, jabari, julius, gordan, etc).

Not to mention our PF position is already clogged enough, and if we choose Noel from draft for center, then you know Vuc will be moved to PF. That is a good problem to have, but BBD has to go despite what he can bring. Trade him now while his value is up.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#33 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:20 pm

In that regard, if the Magic make the 8th seed in the playoffs next year, in my opinion, that would be freaking awesome. Because, that means this team is going places and they will have enough money to sign a max free agent in 2014. Then, this team would rock regardless of whatever they get out of the draft.

Thus, if this team tanks and gets a lottery player fine, but if they jump from worst to .500 ballclub with a great nucleus they already have while adding elite talent to it, then that could be just as good.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
XonezIOIzenoX
Senior

Post#34 » by XonezIOIzenoX » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:26 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:In that regard, if the Magic make the 8th seed in the playoffs next year, in my opinion, that would be freaking awesome. Because, that means this team is going places and they will have enough money to sign a max free agent in 2014. Then, this team would rock regardless of whatever they get out of the draft.

Thus, if this team tanks and gets a lottery player fine, but if they jump from worst to .500 ballclub with a great nucleus they already have while adding elite talent to it, then that could be just as good.

You know what. I didn't see it like that at first, but i kinda can see what you mean by attracting free agency. I guess either way (trade BBD, or not) we can be sure or certain that the only way to go is up. We already have a young nucleus of future borderline all stars (harkless, Tobias, Vuc). Trade BBD, get a chance for another lottery pick for a chance of one of the future franchise star, or keep BBD see what happens, and if we make it to Play-offs then it shows that we have a great nucleus to attract future all stars from free agency for years to come.

I still prefer the first route trading bbd for the chance in 2014 lottery. Either way, future is bright i guess 8-)
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant

Post#35 » by KingRobb02 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:32 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:It sure is a good thing that the NBA isn't only about Offensive Scoring efficiency percentages.

That's all fine and dandy but the original statement was:

I'm the guy that argues that Ben Wallace was the superstar that won the Pistons their last title. I know the value of defense and rebounding.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#36 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:42 pm

KingRobb02 wrote:I'm the guy that argues that Ben Wallace was the superstar that won the Pistons their last title. I know the value of defense and rebounding.

BBD can be a po-mans Ben Wallace at a fraction of the price!!!

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant

Post#37 » by KingRobb02 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:02 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:
KingRobb02 wrote:I'm the guy that argues that Ben Wallace was the superstar that won the Pistons their last title. I know the value of defense and rebounding.

More like the Homeless Man who lost his shins in Vietnam's Ben Wallace. Wallace didn't shoot 14 shots per game and was actually athletic. But, well yeah maybe if Davis says his prayers and eats his vitamins.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#38 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:08 pm

KingRobb02 wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:

More like the Homeless Man who lost his shins in Vietnam's Ben Wallace. Wallace didn't shoot 14 shots per game and was actually athletic. But, well yeah maybe if Davis says his prayers and eats his vitamins.

Well, Ben Wallace did have Sheed, TP, Billups and Rip who were all efficient offensive players. BBD gets thrown the ball and everyone scatters. Big difference in supporting cast.

Regardless, things would be different next year with Harris, Hark and Vucci taking a more predominate role. I would be fine with BBD taking 8-10 shots per game. Because, there were games where BBD was super efficient while taking less shots. It was just that the Magic would fall into a trap where BBD was the only one being able to create shots with 5 seconds left on the clock. I can't blame BBD for all those shots. Plus, Meer & AA take shots way to early in the Shot clock. BBD gets them late in the shot clock which is not all his fault. All good tho. I dig the argument. And, BBD will prove even you wrong!!!

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
MellowRose
Banned User
And1: 1,551

Post#39 » by MellowRose » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:19 pm

and as i said before:

How can a "me-first" player be a great asset to this team?

BBD is probably the lowest bball-iq player in the league. Trade him ASAP.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#40 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:27 pm

BBD is probably the highest BBD-IQ player on the Magic. Keep himi ASAP!

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!

Return to Orlando Magic