ImageImageImageImage

2 years $100M for PG whaddaya say?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

Bring in PG?

Yes!
55%
No!
45%

Total votes: 29

Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,869

Re: 2 years $100M for PG whaddaya say? 

Post#21 » by Skybox » Mon May 13, 2024 8:30 pm

OrlDave wrote:Eh, I'm not in the sign aging vet to a short contract camp. Let's get Tyus Jones or Malik Monk to lock down the lead guard spot and grow the team from the inside. I'm a bit more partial to Tyus. He's a high assist low TO guy who shoots a high % from the outside. A guy like Tyus keeps Paolo as the focus of the offense. A guy like PG means he's going to dominate the ball slowing the development of Paolo and Franz.

We could get BOTH for less than PG...I'm kind of warming to that vision.
meatwad4343
Bench Warmer
And1: 299

Post#22 » by meatwad4343 » Tue May 14, 2024 7:43 am

Yeah two years I would do it, he's not taking a team friendly contract to play in a small market though. Only way pg comes here is if we gave him the four year max and that's only if that offer isn't on the table from his preferred teams
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,202

Post#23 » by zaymon » Tue May 14, 2024 8:17 am

UCFJayBird wrote:No. Because you're mortgaging your salary cap for two seasons in which we're still young and growing, after which PG could either a) leave, or b) be significantly declining (edit: not to mention he's injury prone, before this year he had played less than 200 games over this previous 4 seasons total). Also, without a sign and trade, how do we accomplish this without renouncing Isaac?

In two years presumably we'll have 60-75% of our salary cap tied up with Paolo, Franz, and Suggs. The rest will be already filled with others on rookie deals or other vets (If JI stays healthy, resigning him, Moe, etc). So in other words, we'd have to trade George to another team and hope to get something back, resign him to a smaller deal (hopefully), or let him walk to save salary that won't help us in free agency but will just lower the team payroll.

This applies even more to Klay IMO.

All signs seem to suggest Orlando has a lot of interest from potential free agents. If the Magic were in desperation "win now" mode, i'd say yes. Like if Paolo or Franz was going to be an unrestricted free agent in a few years and we were feeling the pressure to contend before they considering wanting out. But we're not, so I'd rather go after someone like Monk, or pursue a sign and trade for someone like Murray or Young, players that have a lot of prime years left and could be here 4-5 years minimum if it works out and help us build a contender for a decade, not 2-3 years.

edit: having said that, if no other options seem available/worth it, yes go get Paul George, lol. If he's the best option available. But I think someone like Monk if we can get him is a better option long term.

Its hard to say mortgaging when its about only 2 years. Whole point of this contract is that he should leave before declining.
Option to trade PG when we got him for only salary is another advantage.
Going for someone like Monk has similar disadvantages with lower ceiling and propably longer contract which gives it a worse longterm upside.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,545

Post#24 » by jezzerinho » Tue May 14, 2024 9:41 am

zaymon wrote:
UCFJayBird wrote:No. Because you're mortgaging your salary cap for two seasons in which we're still young and growing, after which PG could either a) leave, or b) be significantly declining (edit: not to mention he's injury prone, before this year he had played less than 200 games over this previous 4 seasons total). Also, without a sign and trade, how do we accomplish this without renouncing Isaac?

In two years presumably we'll have 60-75% of our salary cap tied up with Paolo, Franz, and Suggs. The rest will be already filled with others on rookie deals or other vets (If JI stays healthy, resigning him, Moe, etc). So in other words, we'd have to trade George to another team and hope to get something back, resign him to a smaller deal (hopefully), or let him walk to save salary that won't help us in free agency but will just lower the team payroll.

All signs seem to suggest Orlando has a lot of interest from potential free agents. If the Magic were in desperation "win now" mode, i'd say yes. Like if Paolo or Franz was going to be an unrestricted free agent in a few years and we were feeling the pressure to contend before they considering wanting out. But we're not, so I'd rather go after someone like Monk, or pursue a sign and trade for someone like Murray or Young, players that have a lot of prime years left and could be here 4-5 years minimum if it works out and help us build a contender for a decade, not 2-3 years.

edit: having said that, if no other options seem available/worth it, yes go get Paul George, lol. If he's the best option available. But I think someone like Monk if we can get him is a better option long term.

Its hard to say mortgaging when its about only 2 years. Whole point of this contract is that he should leave before declining.
Going for someone like Monk has similar disadvantages with lower ceiling and propably longer contract which gives it a worse longterm upside.

A 34 year old won't want a 2 year deal tho, would he? Id have thought min 3...
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,911

Post#25 » by Knightro » Tue May 14, 2024 1:31 pm

Paul George is not, and should not, sign a two-year max with anyone if he has a three year and potentially even a four-year max on the table.

And I definitely think Philly is willing to go the full four. We'll see if LA is or not. Orlando I do not think would go 4.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,153

Post#26 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Tue May 14, 2024 2:53 pm

Skybox wrote:
OrlDave wrote:Eh, I'm not in the sign aging vet to a short contract camp. Let's get Tyus Jones or Malik Monk to lock down the lead guard spot and grow the team from the inside. I'm a bit more partial to Tyus. He's a high assist low TO guy who shoots a high % from the outside. A guy like Tyus keeps Paolo as the focus of the offense. A guy like PG means he's going to dominate the ball slowing the development of Paolo and Franz.

Tyus & Monk would be a home run FA period IMO. It would mean the end for Cole which I think might be the better move for everyone. Just don't have faith that this FO will make bigger moves at the same time. I see 1 smaller move and internal development.
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,445

Post#27 » by UCFJayBird » Wed May 15, 2024 3:16 am

zaymon wrote:

What I mean is that 2 years from now when that PG contract comes off the books, we'll already be over the salary cap because of Jalen, Franz, Paolo, Jett, and Black (and that's assuming we don't have anyone else on the roster at that point).

Say the salary cap is $135m in 2 years when that deal comes off. Franz is on a max or near max contract, so he's making at least $35m that year. Jalen is probably a little less but up there near $30m. Paolo is going to get the max extension next summer, so he'll be at least $35m, maybe $40m. So between the three of them, that's $105m+. Let's assume we pick up options on Black and Howard for their 4th years, that's another $17m for the two of them. That's $132m in salary in five players. That doesn't include the pick this year, doesn't include any other free agents we sign, doesn't include Cole Anthony if he's still on the team (also on a team option that year for $13m).

We have zero salary cap to work with and Paul George is now 36 years old. To me, that's mortgaging our salary cap future for a short term boost.

My point is the Magic will not have salary cap in two years, regardless of who we sign this offseason, so I'd rather sign someone that if they work out can be here 5+ years, renew/extend if they become part of the core, or can be used in trade packages. Not someone who is injury prone and has only a few years left in him at best on a contract few teams would have any interest in (maybe you get lucky with a team wanting to rebuild and looking for a massive expiring deal, but that's a big if IMO).

But I would also not be upset if we did sign Paul George, lol. I'd hope for the best, maybe it he helps us become that team other vets want to come to on team friendly deals to try and contend before leaving. Seems unlikely, but you never know.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,869

Post#28 » by Skybox » Wed May 15, 2024 11:30 am

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
Skybox wrote:

Tyus & Monk would be a home run FA period IMO. It would mean the end for Cole which I think might be the better move for everyone. Just don't have faith that this FO will make bigger moves at the same time. I see 1 smaller move and internal development.

I don’t think Tyus is much better overall than Cole, but, in combo with Monk (or Murray or Simons or Russell), he’d be a great fit. Monk (like Cole & Suggs) is kind of wild and explosive. Tyus brings that counterbalance of “boring” efficiency. I say boring, in a good way, like Tim Duncan was boring :lol: He comes in and gets things under control, maybe rides out a lead, for example, or stops a runaway offense. I just don’t know if Tyus welcomes that role - the one he’s excelled at for many years, now that he’s tasting starter roles and starter money. If I’m Uber-patient SAS, Tyus is the FA I want to showcase Wemby and calmly, efficiently coordinate all of their young talent…until they assemble the roster for contention in a couple more years. Two more lottery picks this summer, Tyus is just the “boring” babysitter they need…us too, but in a smaller role, imo.

Return to Orlando Magic