ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 5.0

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,151

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 5.0 

Post#361 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Mon May 13, 2024 12:06 am

Knightro wrote:I'm not saying a full "run it back" scenario is likely, but I could definitely see a situation where whatever Weltman's A and B plans are end up falling through and he just defaults to 1 year deals for both Harris and Fultz to hit the salary floor.

Would be such a wet fart if that’s the case. Hoping this doesn’t happen because there are 5 available options better than Fultz. Gary would make some sense but that would mean Jett and AB are farrrr away from ready.
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 38,118

Post#362 » by SOUL » Mon May 13, 2024 12:07 am

Knightro wrote:Even though the mere idea of it sickens me, I genuinely think a near full run it back scenario is at the very least on the table.

I'd probably give that a 5-10% chance of happening, which isn't zero, but you're looking at having to replace possibly Goga (UFA), Harris (team option), Fultz (UFA), Okeke (RFA), Ingles (team option).

That's 5 roster spots before trading anyone. The likelihood of even retaining 3 of these guys are very low, though the term "running it back" means different things to different people. Do I think we're making a major trade involving WCJ/Cole/Jett or someone? Not at this moment, but that would be a massive overhaul on top of guys already possibly leaving.

But I do think they go after a major FA, make a decision with this draft pick to either trade it or not, and decide to keep one of Gary or Ingles for depth purposes.

So at the very least, the roster is going to look different next year with one of or both Black and Jett getting more minutes, a free agent or two (starting SG or PG or/or backup big) + draft pick.

If that happens, I wouldn't exactly call that running it back, and most teams aren't going to massively overhaul a successful young team in ways that some people want to gut everything but Suggs, Paolo, Franz.

But if you ask me if we do a major trade.. that's where I have a harder time feeling like they would pull a trigger with that. But who knows.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,151

Post#363 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Mon May 13, 2024 12:08 am

MasterGMer wrote:I think Trae Young is more likely to be traded than DeJounte Murray. First of all, Atlanta might want cap relief by sending away Young's big contract. Should Magic at least be interested in a trade for Young? I am not worried about the fit here. I just want to know what is the cost to go and get him. That could impact our Free Agency decision also.

If anything them landing #1 makes that decision so easy. Unless they get a stupid offer for Murray/Trae they’re not moving. Draft Sarr and look to move Capela.

Trae
Murray
Bogdanovic
Johnson
Sarr
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
The-Stallion70
Bench Warmer
And1: 423

Post#364 » by The-Stallion70 » Mon May 13, 2024 12:14 am

Knightro wrote:I'm not saying a full "run it back" scenario is likely, but I could definitely see a situation where whatever Weltman's A and B plans are end up falling through and he just defaults to 1 year deals for both Harris and Fultz to hit the salary floor.

I would feel a little surprised if that were the case because as you stated before, this is a summer where we have room because the extensions haven't kicked in yet so I believe Weltman feels the pressure to act now while we can.
thelead wrote:I have a memory like an elephant.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,592

Post#365 » by eyriq » Mon May 13, 2024 12:15 am

If the Hawks trade Trae they would trade him to the Spurs. Two lotto picks and Atlanta's draft picks is an unbeatable package.
The-Stallion70
Bench Warmer
And1: 423

Post#366 » by The-Stallion70 » Mon May 13, 2024 12:16 am

Knightro wrote:I am not convinced Ingles is leaving.

Not unless they absolutely have to have the money for somebody on a big short-term deal like Klay.

I can't see them retaining him unless its for a min deal because he essentially got ran off the court in the playoffs. He looked old and slow.
thelead wrote:I have a memory like an elephant.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,855

Post#367 » by Skybox » Mon May 13, 2024 12:16 am

To me, a minimal but acceptable effort, which shows faith in our present rookies and doesn't fundamentally shake up what got ORL to the playoffs, should be...

1. Draft BPA...Shannon, Devin Carter, Ware
2. Sign Monk
3. fill in vet spots shrewdly, but plan on a tighter rotation anyway, obviously draft choice(s) may factor

Harris might be our best FA vet, but, unless Jett and/or Black are still useless, you let him go. Of all of the FA's & Options (not counting "untouchable" Mo Wagner), I'd keep Ingles. I'd also consider keeping Harris if he'll take a haircut and understand his role is shrinking. He probably shouldn't...he's still got game and could be valued elsewhere - but we need to get these kids out there. I'd be perfectly fine with Queen or Kevon as "5th guard"
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#368 » by eyriq » Mon May 13, 2024 12:32 am

Skybox wrote:To me, a minimal but acceptable effort, which shows faith in our present rookies and doesn't fundamentally shake up what got ORL to the playoffs, should be...

2. Sign Monk
3. fill in vet spots shrewdly, but plan on a tighter rotation anyway, obviously draft choice(s) may factor

Harris might be our best FA vet, but, unless Jett and/or Black are still useless, you let him go. Of all of the FA's & Options (not counting "untouchable" Mo Wagner), I'd keep Ingles. I'd also consider keeping Harris if he'll take a haircut and understand his role is shrinking. He probably shouldn't...he's still got game and could be valued elsewhere - but we need to get these kids out there. I'd be perfectly fine with Queen or Kevon as "5th guard"
I like this side of you. I agree with this as the minimal viable off-season. I'll be content with one of Russell, Monk, or Klay. Strike out there and the front office has failed.
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 599

Post#369 » by MasterGMer » Mon May 13, 2024 12:37 am

Skybox wrote:To me, a minimal but acceptable effort, which shows faith in our present rookies and doesn't fundamentally shake up what got ORL to the playoffs, should be...

2. Sign Monk

I actually think this FO will be utterly aggressive this off season. Next offseason Franz and Suggs extensions will kick in. This offseason is the best time to addition by subtraction plus using our huge cap space. If the final goal is to win a championship, this offseason is extremely critical
Skybox
RealGM

Post#370 » by Skybox » Mon May 13, 2024 12:38 am

On the other hand, give POR some of the cap relief they need:

ORL sends: Black, Cole Anthony, Eyriq, ORL 25, DEN 25
POR sends: Brogdon, Simons
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,984

Post#371 » by Nyce_1 » Mon May 13, 2024 12:43 am

byeganyo wrote:
MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
byeganyo wrote:
Caleb is staying here and getting more minutes too probably.

If Caleb gets minutes next year we’re not serious.

You have to pay a bit more attention. He has been one of our better shooters, he is 21, most likely he'll come better after the summer.
He had a couple good games then crapped the bed he was needed most. I was one of Caleb's biggest fans, but if he has to go for any sense of an upgrade, he's gone.

He's not a reliable shooter and that's what we need.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,977

Post#372 » by thelead » Mon May 13, 2024 12:45 am

Skybox wrote:On the other hand, give POR some of the cap relief they need:

:lol: I like how you buried that in there :lol:
byeganyo
Junior
And1: 138

Post#373 » by byeganyo » Mon May 13, 2024 12:46 am

Nyce_1 wrote:
byeganyo wrote:
MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
If Caleb gets minutes next year we’re not serious.

You have to pay a bit more attention. He has been one of our better shooters, he is 21, most likely he'll come better after the summer.
He had a couple good games then crapped the bed he was needed most. I was one of Caleb's biggest fans, but if he has to go for any sense of an upgrade, he's gone.

He's not a reliable shooter and that's what we need.

The numbers paint a different picture, plus he is still very young. If we can use him as a trade chip, of course he can leave, but otherwise im pretty sure he'll play more than most people here seem to expect.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#374 » by eyriq » Mon May 13, 2024 12:52 am

LOLZ I blacked out with rage seeing AB was included and didn't even make it to my name
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,138

Post#375 » by KillMonger » Mon May 13, 2024 1:12 am

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:

Would be such a wet fart if that’s the case. Hoping this doesn’t happen because there are 5 available options better than Fultz. Gary would make some sense but that would mean Jett and AB are farrrr away from ready.
I could think of like 15 players I'd rather have than Fultz

Sent from my [Hands] using RealGM mobile app
Skybox
RealGM

Post#376 » by Skybox » Mon May 13, 2024 1:15 am

eyriq wrote:

LOLZ I blacked out with rage seeing AB was included and didn't even make it to my name

I figured if AB goes, you go with him
Skybox
RealGM

Post#377 » by Skybox » Mon May 13, 2024 1:15 am

KillMonger wrote:
MartinsIzAfraud wrote:

I could think of like 15 players I'd rather have than Fultz

Sent from my [Hands] using RealGM mobile app

I can’t think of 15 I wouldn’t :D
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,301

Post#378 » by MagicMatic » Mon May 13, 2024 1:21 am

Skybox wrote:I did a version of this, but...
ATL sends: Murray, Capela, Hunter
ATL gets: Wendell Carter, Jerami Grant, Malcolm Brogdon, ORL 25 frp

POR sends: Malcolm Brogdon, Jerami Grant
POR gets: Deandre Hunter, Anthony Black, tons of cap relief

ORL sends: Wendell Carter, Anthony Black, ORL 25 frp
ORL gets: Capela, Murray

Capela, M. Wagner, Ware (#18)
Paolo, Isaac
Franz, Houstan
Suggs, Jett
Murray, Cole, vet-Kris Dunn?

*we might even have enough left to keep Jingles, who is really the PG of the second unit and the guy that unlocked Cole's best. We might also taking a big swing at Terrence Shannon at #18(who's built like Anthony Edwards) if he stays out of court.

My guy. 7-9 player trades when it doesn’t involve a star just doesn’t happen ever.
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,984

Post#379 » by Nyce_1 » Mon May 13, 2024 2:13 am

Knightro wrote:Even though the mere idea of it sickens me, I genuinely think a near full run it back scenario is at the very least on the table.
With this FO, it should've always been understood as a possible option.
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 599

Post#380 » by MasterGMer » Mon May 13, 2024 2:28 am

Nyce_1 wrote:
With this FO, it should've always been understood as a possible option.

lol

Return to Orlando Magic