ImageImageImageImage

Glen Davis future on the Magic?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Mad Guru
Sixth Man
And1: 410

Re: Glen Davis future on the Magic? 

Post#41 » by Mad Guru » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:54 pm

I like BBD, I hope he stays and AA goes.
Catledge
Starter
And1: 840

Post#42 » by Catledge » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:39 pm

Here is my scouting report on BBD:

-- Very good post defender
-- Poor shot blocker, though he rotates well and will take some charges
-- Mediocre mid-range shooter
-- Poor finisher at the rim because of his lack of size and explosiveness
-- Sometimes goes nuts and takes his shorts off in the middle of a game

My position is that he's a good guy to have on the team if he can accept a role, but it's not clear that he is willing to do that. If he went to the coaching staff and management and assured them that he would be a veteran leader who accepts the role given to him, then keep him unless somebody offers us a real good deal. If he seems likely to want to upstage our young guys, then I say ship him off for whatever we can get.
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant
And1: 917

Post#43 » by KingRobb02 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:58 pm

Catledge wrote:Here is my scouting report on BBD:

-- Very good post defender
-- Poor shot blocker, though he rotates well and will take some charges
-- Mediocre mid-range shooter
-- Poor finisher at the rim because of his lack of size and explosiveness
-- Sometimes goes nuts and takes his shorts off in the middle of a game

My position is that he's a good guy to have on the team if he can accept a role, but it's not clear that he is willing to do that. If he went to the coaching staff and management and assured them that he would be a veteran leader who accepts the role given to him, then keep him unless somebody offers us a real good deal. If he seems likely to want to upstage our young guys, then I say ship him off for whatever we can get.

Just like I say with Afflalo, are you willing to pay the rest of this guy's current deal to get those contributions?
Catledge
Starter
And1: 840

Post#44 » by Catledge » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:41 pm

I'm actually a little more eager to to trade Afflalo because I think he is likelier to bring back a young piece of some value (based on Henny's track record of finding talent buried on another team's bench).

In any event, when I say "keep him unless somebody offers us a real good deal," I guess it comes down to what counts as a "real good deal." I'll basically take anything along the lines of what we got for JJ -- a promising young piece (harris) and a long-shot young piece (Lamb). That pretty much goes for both BBD and Afflalo, but I wouldn't look to unload them for second rounders just to get rid of their salaries.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,614

Post#45 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:56 pm

BBD only makes $6 mil per season. He is a bargain at this rate and very low risk. Plus, he is a leader with good chemistry amongst his teammates. Most importantly, he bleeds for his team with his loyalty and emotional play.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,151

Post#46 » by KillMonger » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:30 pm

I'm hoping we can get rid of BBD for some value to be honest, i wouldn't have a problem with him if his mentality was consistent. You'll have a stretch of games where he's taking all the shots, not passing and getting everyone else out of rhythm a straight up black hole. Then after that stretch of bad games he'll say in an interview he has to step up or something to that effect then he'll start playing like he should be playing. Moving the ball, taking shots within himself and the system and hustling on both ends, that's the basketball he should be playing at all times. Then when he starts playing that good basketball he starts to get cocky and reverts back to being a blackhole.

This is not something i'm making up this happened on and on all season before he got injured. I'm not sure i want to go through another year of that and i'm pretty sure that coach is not going to play Tobias and Harkless any less minutes so, something has got to give
Magicman125
Rookie
And1: 450

Post#47 » by Magicman125 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:25 am

Bobby Ray wrote:I'm hoping we can get rid of BBD for some value to be honest, i wouldn't have a problem with him if his mentality was consistent. You'll have a stretch of games where he's taking all the shots, not passing and getting everyone else out of rhythm a straight up black hole. Then after that stretch of bad games he'll say in an interview he has to step up or something to that effect then he'll start playing like he should be playing. Moving the ball, taking shots within himself and the system and hustling on both ends, that's the basketball he should be playing at all times. Then when he starts playing that good basketball he starts to get cocky and reverts back to being a blackhole.

This is not something i'm making up this happened on and on all season before he got injured. I'm not sure i want to go through another year of that and i'm pretty sure that coach is not going to play Tobias and Harkless any less minutes so, something has got to give

If we get rid of BBD, I'd prefer it to be near the trade deadline. I want to see how he fits within the team after we see how far Harkless, Vuc, and Tobes develop over the summer/pre-season. Provided these guys continue to show growth and development into stronger offensive (and defensive) options, I'd like to see if he could adapt to a new role. If he can play the role of a more complimentary veteran leader who is able to more efficiently use about 10 FGA a game (taken mostly within the flow of the offense), then by all means keep him around. He's a great motivator when he's on who will give us some low post defensive presence and can only help reinforce the intangibles Tobes has shown thus far for us.

I'd be interested in seeing a lineup that consists of:
Nelson (30)/[Burke/McCollum?] (18)
Afflalo (28)/Harkless (16)/Lamb (4)
Harris (26)/Harkless (16)/ Afflalo (6)
Davis (24)/Harris (12)/Nicholson (12)
Vucevic (32)/BBD (8)/O'Quinn (8)

Reserves in case of injury: Jones, Turkoglu, Harrington

If that team would contend for a bottom seed in the playoff race, I'd be all for the quick re-build. We'd still have a pick in the mid-late teens and a pick in the 20s. If they don't seem to be panning out well enough to get to the playoffs and build some excitement in the fan base, that's when I'd consider trading AA and BBD in order to opt for a better draft pick of our own and accrue more picks and/or prospects.

I guess that's just my long-winded way of saying I agree with BMP.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,151

Post#48 » by KillMonger » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:59 am

you talking about playoffs? come on son
Magicman125
Rookie
And1: 450

Post#49 » by Magicman125 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:28 am

Bobby Ray wrote:you talking about playoffs? come on son

If the east is as weak as it was this year and we're not riddled with injuries like we were this year, I could see us making the 8th seed in the east. Not an ideal place for a franchise to be, I know, but all of our players are young and we're projected to have a lot of cap space the summer after next. Making a splash in FA during the summer of 2014 could still allow for improvement to the point where we'd be a fringe contender or at least capable of playing a strong second round series. There's no reason to believe the lineup I mentioned couldn't perform similarly to how Milwaukee did this year given we see strong progression our young players, a better backup point guard acquired in the draft, less injury problems, and a full training camp/preseason to further develop chemistry (and hopefully a more competent defensive game plan).

I'm just saying it's a possibility that shouldn't be overlooked. Next season could very well play out very much like this one with injuries taking their toll on Nelson (as they often do), which would free up playing time for a hypothetically drafted PG of the future. This would then encourage pre-deadline trades of our veterans who could otherwise conceivably keep us near .500 (as we were this season for the first 25 games at 12-13). Shipping out Turk's expiring, Afflalo, and/or BBD for future prospects. This would lead to a less intense tank than we went through this season.

Merely saying we have options in terms of the path we want to take next season.
bigpimpatl
Analyst
And1: 1,340

Post#50 » by bigpimpatl » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:11 pm

what is this about a vegan diet for BBD...
Flannerz
Pro Prospect
And1: 500

Post#51 » by Flannerz » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:30 pm

bigpimpatl wrote:what is this about a vegan diet for BBD...

He only eats vegans?
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 600

Post#52 » by MasterGMer » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:34 pm

I don't have problem getting rid of AA and Davis for a lottery pick or young talents. However, getting rid of them because they are so so playesr and inefficient is not the right reason. The sample size is just too small to judge Aaron Afflalo and Glen Davis. They are on a bad team and there is no one to make them better and that is the main reason. Be patient. Afflalo and Davis can exceed many of you guys expectation next season. All the veteran players on the team really depend on the direction of the rebuilding process. If it is a quick rebuilding, then these quality role players, boarderline star players have a place on the team. In Hennigan we trust! :D
BayAreaMadSkill
Junior
And1: 31

Post#53 » by BayAreaMadSkill » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:56 pm

Glen Davis is garbage. Any Magic fan that thinks otherwise is delusional.

He will do nothing but hurt this team. He is a SELFISH player. That WILL NOT change. Next year, Harris, Harkless, and Vucevic all would need to be taking more shots than Davis. Do any of you see that happening if Davis is playing significant minutes? No. That clown loves throwing up shots. He kills our offense, especially now that we have talented players on the team.

He needs to be traded our waived. I honestly don't care which.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#54 » by OrlandO » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:04 pm

bigpimpatl wrote:what is this about a vegan diet for BBD...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball- ... --nba.html
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#55 » by BadMofoPimp » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:05 pm

There is huge difference in team ball than just shooting shots.

Those fans that only rate a players talent based on shot selection are delusional.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
BayAreaMadSkill
Junior

Post#56 » by BayAreaMadSkill » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:20 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:There is huge difference in team ball than just shooting shots.

Those fans that only rate a players talent based on shot selection are delusional.

So what does Glen Davis bring to this team? Leadership? :lol:

I know you're not talking about excellent passing or lock-down defense.

He's selfish. Flat-out. Not what the team needs. I grew tired of Davis and his 6-22 shooting nights. Oh, and those 22 shots would lead the team. Nothing new for him.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#57 » by BadMofoPimp » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:29 pm

BayAreaMadSkill wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:There is huge difference in team ball than just shooting shots.

So what does Glen Davis bring to this team? Leadership? :lol:

I know you're not talking about excellent passing or lock-down defense.

He's selfish. Flat-out. Not what the team needs. I grew tired of Davis and his 6-22 shooting nights. Oh, and those 22 shots would lead the team. Nothing new for him.

Sure, there were games where nobody else was doing anything on offense and his teammates/coaches kept giving him the ball. Thus, he shot it. Nobody on the team or coaching staff discouraged him from doing so.

And, there were nights where BBD would go 8-10 with 12 boards while playing lock down defense to win freaking games. But, you fail to acknowledge that.

But, you don't mind other players going 6-22 or playing defense like a 12 year old. Because, they have better shot selection.

You, my friend, appear to not watch the whole game of basketball, but just wait for certain players to make mistakes to justify your hatred for them while ignoring the rest of the teams mistakes.

That, is not a fan of the Magic Team, but a hater.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
BayAreaMadSkill
Junior

Post#58 » by BayAreaMadSkill » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:58 pm

So you're saying the coaches sat their in the huddle and drew up "Glen, you're going to catch the ball 18 ft from the basket with 17 on the shot clock. After, do a pump fake, spin move, and fadaway with a guy in your face". Because, those are the type of plays we would see from Davis. He's selfish. He looks to shoot before passing and would rather throw up contested junk then find the open man more often than not.

I'm not a hater. I liked the trade at the time and thought Glen played HUGE for us in the playoffs last year. But it's another season now. He has worn out his welcome with the team and is far more valuable as a trading piece than he is as a cog on this club.

Am I happier with Tobias Harris shooting 6-22 as opposed to Glen Davis? Hell yes. Harris is young and part of our future, much like Harkless and Vucevic. Davis cant shoot jumpers and he gets stuffed too much inside. Hey, if he played defense (He's not a very good defender) or showed more elite passing skills, I'd be okay with him. But he doesn't.

Just speaking the truth, my man. I don't ignore other player's mistakes, I just realize it's growing pains for them. It's different for Davis. He's a Vet, and he isn't going to change the negatives in his game.
MitchellUK
RealGM
And1: 2,882

Post#59 » by MitchellUK » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:01 pm

There is indeed. And yet Glen Davis, the guy you want to paint as the consummate team player, insists on shooting a lot of shots he isn't capable of making.

Since 1980, only 11 frontcourt players have had a TS% under .485 while taking more than 14 shots per game. Davis is one of them.

Put simply: Glen Davis on the defensive side of the ball is a player most teams would like to have. Glen Davis on offense is a player no-one in their right mind would want.

You want to label people delusional, take a glance in the mirror and recognize that you're defending the indefensible. Davis' offensive abilities/attitude/contributions are worthless, in fact detrimental, to our team.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,619

Post#60 » by eyriq » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:14 pm

Glen Davis had a career year this season, yet he was average as far as starting PFs go. More value as a role player, but thinks he's baby KG. I kind of get that he expanded his role to fill the vacuum left by the trades, and I get that we started the season with a top eight defense, yet small sample size and a resume of suck trailing him overrides any excitement I might have about his value.

Return to Orlando Magic