ImageImageImageImage

OT: K Smith changes mind, decides to go pro

Moderators: UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass

N4U|Redux
RealGM
And1: 14

Post#41 » by N4U|Redux » Tue Jan 8, 2008 2:53 am

A UCF poster on Rivals is saying Smith had the most carries in NCAA/NFL football history last season.

Anyone able to shed the light on whether this is true?
"If I help get South Florida into the tournament, then 20 years from now when South Florida is ranked No. 1 in the country, people will look at the history and say, 'Dominique Jones started that program.'"
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,446

Post#42 » by UCFJayBird » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:00 am

Yea it's true. He actually has like 30 more than Marcus Allen, the previous record holder.

And n4u, we actually have some really good receivers. Rocky Ross is as solid as anyone. This past season we had a junior and basically a bunch of freshman receivers. AJ Guyton is a stud and will most likely explode onto the seen. And Kamar Aiken is really good too. Israel just couldn't pass, so they went mostly unnoticed. We've turned out Marshall and Walker the last two years, so that should be proof enough that UCF is pretty good at finding receivers. At least I hope it's a trend that continues.

And i'll admit that I don't know how kevin will do in the NFL. I think he could be great, but he very well could be one of those guys that did awesome in college and didn't perform quite so well in the pros. You say i'm taking a leap of faith, but hey...that's what fans do! You do it too, with your guys at USF.
N4U|Redux
RealGM

Post#43 » by N4U|Redux » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:30 am

UCFJayBird wrote:Yea it's true. He actually has like 30 more than Marcus Allen, the previous record holder.

Geez, that's amazing.

And n4u, we actually have some really good receivers.

That's good. I wasn't ripping on the program here, I was geniuenly interested. They didn't get much of a chance to showcase themselves this past year because of Israel sucking and Smith dominating the ball. So, I wasn't sure what you guys had.

You say i'm taking a leap of faith, but hey...that's what fans do! You do it too, with your guys at USF.

To a degree. For instance, our star QB Grothe, many of our fans believe he's NFL bound and will be good in it. I for one think he has virtually no shot at being a good NFL QB unless he really changes. Though, he has plenty of time given that he just finished his sophomore year. Too bad he had to ruin his redshirt status the year prior due to team injury or he'd only have been a freshman last year.

I try not to be much of a homer in any sports, USF caught me earlier in the year with their 6-0 start, and look what happened. And, God knows I don't need to say anything about the Magic.
"If I help get South Florida into the tournament, then 20 years from now when South Florida is ranked No. 1 in the country, people will look at the history and say, 'Dominique Jones started that program.'"
lovehoops01
General Manager
And1: 1

Post#44 » by lovehoops01 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 4:31 am

You have to forgive us n4u. I didn't mean to go on and on. UCF fans always feel like we have to defend the program. It's been tough to be an upstart program in the same territory where Florida, Florida State and Miami have been recruiting for so long while those programs have been among the top in the country. And then USF joined the party, and the corporate support that the Bulls have received in Tampa has helped them build quickly. That was slower to come in Orlando but has picked up now, and things felt really good this season except that game that we got blasted by USF. It's been a lot of hard work. There still is much to do, of course, but we are proud of the guys who have been part of the program and very happy for them when they do well.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#45 » by craig01 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:23 pm

Pretty big deal for the leading rusher in the nation to be passed over by so many others when guys like Jason are trying to make a case that he's somehow on McFadden, Hart's, or Rice's level -- he's light years away.

By NFL standards, only McFadden is a probable lock as a dynamic runner. Everyone drafted after him is a suspect for success at the next level.

Rice will grade better, Stewart (if he leaves) is better.

Charles is faster, but Hart is a later round pick at best. Smith will precede him, and maybe Slaton too depending on whose draft watch you read.

Many statistical leaders have been passed over as well through the years. I do agree that some of Smith's accomplishments are overstated on this board. But this IS a UCF thread.

Smith will be the 4th or 5th back taken depending on the combines. That doesn't take anything away from his outstanding season, nor his place in UCF lore.

However, the constant harping on C-USA shortfalls is redundant.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
N4U|Redux
RealGM

Post#46 » by N4U|Redux » Tue Jan 8, 2008 10:37 pm

This just in: Ray Rice is going pro as well.

Push back Smith another slot.

Rice was a USF killer, so I'm happy as clams that he's gone.

That being said, the Big East really is going to crap football wise.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#47 » by craig01 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 11:03 pm

Rice was expected.

He's a helluva TB.

Fan from day 1
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#48 » by Fan from day 1 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 1:43 am

RBs are a dime a dozen
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#49 » by craig01 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 3:13 am

Fan from day 1 wrote:RBs are a dime a dozen

Not good ones.

N4U|Redux
RealGM

Post#50 » by N4U|Redux » Wed Jan 9, 2008 10:38 pm

I don't feel like finding the link, but

Rutgers running back Ray Rice, asked if it's hard after this week's excitement to wait until football season starts (Aug. 30): "You're talking about seven or eight weeks. That's a month."

Gee, high level football players are smart.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#51 » by craig01 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:37 am

LOL^^^^^^

Ouch.

Return to Orlando Magic