ImageImageImageImage

2023-2024 Regular Season Game 63: Orlando Magic (36-26) at Washington Wizards (9-52) - 7pm

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,043

Re: 2023-2024 Regular Season Game 63: Orlando Magic (36-26) at Washington Wizards (9-52) - 7pm 

Post#401 » by drsd » Thu Mar 7, 2024 6:43 am

pepe1991 wrote:this was one of most important wins of a season,especially how game played out.

This was the trap game we all expected it to be. Therefore, for coach to change the lineup in the 2nd to claw back from the lase was some elite coaching. This win in on Banchero's play in the late first-half, of course, but a real X-and-O win from coach.

Mr. Mosley is proving he belongs in the NBA as more than a developmental coach. Just: coach.
drsd
RealGM

Re: 2023-2024 Regular Season Game 63: Orlando Magic (36-26) at Washington Wizards (9-52) - 7pm 

Post#402 » by drsd » Thu Mar 7, 2024 6:47 am

JF5 wrote:Starters returning the favor after last night.

This really highlights that one strength for Orlando is depth. When player-X is struggling, then Orlando can go to player-Y. And yes you are 100% correct in that the how's and who's of the last two wins could not be more different.
drsd
RealGM

Post#403 » by drsd » Thu Mar 7, 2024 7:05 am

thelead wrote:11 games over .500

Need to go 13-6 the rest of the way to win 50 games.

Orlando is at a 58.7% win rate and opponents are at a 48.1% win rate. That couples to an expectation of a 12-7 record. Fluking one win thus gets Orlando to a 50-win season.

JazzUte88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,040

Post#404 » by JazzUte88 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 11:44 am

KillMonger wrote:These Joe Ingles minutes is starting to wear on me man.... He is COOKED!!!!

Sent from my [Hands] using RealGM mobile app

But he’s so good at bounce passes to Fultz in the mid-range.

Fultz didn’t shoot the ball well but still got 6 points. I think he’s a bit sloppy & lazy with the ball and doesn’t run the pick and pop very well anymore. Should be good for 10 points a game/4 assists even w/injuries.
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,069

Post#405 » by p0peye » Thu Mar 7, 2024 11:58 am

JazzUte88 wrote:
KillMonger wrote:These Joe Ingles minutes is starting to wear on me man.... He is COOKED!!!!

Sent from my [Hands] using RealGM mobile app

But he’s so good at bounce passes to Fultz in the mid-range.

Fultz didn’t shoot the ball well but still got 6 points. I think he’s a bit sloppy & lazy with the ball and doesn’t run the pick and pop very well anymore. Should be good for 10 points a game/4 assists even w/injuries.

I feel you, man. Fultz is what makes Magic watchable.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,956

Post#406 » by basketballRob » Thu Mar 7, 2024 12:07 pm

SOUL wrote:Our schedule is so weird.

(DET vs ORL) - even rest
(WAS vs ORL) - B2B for ORL
(NYK vs ORL) - 2 days off for NYK, 3 in 4 for ORL
(IND vs ORL) - 2 days off for IND, 1 day for ORL
(BK vs ORL) - even rest

We rarely catch anyone with a rest advantage and we're the ones having back to backs and less rest even without B2B.
I think we play better with just 1 day off. The traveling to 3 different cities in 4 nights against NY might be tough.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,844

Post#407 » by Skybox » Thu Mar 7, 2024 12:13 pm

Tyus Jones looked like what he realistically is…a really strong backup PG for a very good team. Efficient, unspectacular game manager. Opportunistic scorer. Steadying force…he’s like the anti-Cole. Cole plays kind of the same spot, but brings inefficient wildfire off the bench. Cole closes games with his scoring or buries you deeper with his inefficiency. Both are valuable role players of the same tier.

Any team is better with Tyus…but my point is that his game doesn’t necessarily scale up as a starter. He would only bump AB down the list and I wouldn’t want that. AB brings less game manager but much more overall.
mattdelray1220
Sophomore
And1: 94

Post#408 » by mattdelray1220 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 12:39 pm

Skybox wrote:Tyus Jones looked like what he realistically is…a really strong backup PG for a very good team. Efficient, unspectacular game manager. Opportunistic scorer. Steadying force…he’s like the anti-Cole. Cole plays kind of the same spot, but brings inefficient wildfire off the bench. Cole closes games with his scoring or buries you deeper with his inefficiency. Both are valuable role players of the same tier.

Any team is better with Tyus…but my point is that his game doesn’t necessarily scale up as a starter. He would only bump AB down the list and I wouldn’t want that. AB brings less game manager but much more overall.

I agree 100%. I like Tyus. Come on though, he does not move the needle at all for us. In 2 years we gotta look back at all the people crying over missing out on Tyus when AB is a top 30 guard in the NBA. He is starting to get confident. 6'7 guard with elite defense. AB is going to be a fan favorite for a long time.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 38,111

Post#409 » by SOUL » Thu Mar 7, 2024 12:58 pm

It's kinda funny, Philly posters are saying how Hield isn't the shooter they thought (obviously will look diff with Embiid there though) and I think it's all about specific roles within a team. A lot of guys look better/worse with specific players around them.

Though I think it's obvious that Mose likes to play guys that can defend, or at least not get destroyed out there on defense while also shooting. Hard task, but there's guys out there.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,861

Post#410 » by Knightro » Thu Mar 7, 2024 1:02 pm

SOUL wrote:It's kinda funny, Philly posters are saying how Hield isn't the shooter they thought (obviously will look diff with Embiid there though) and I think it's all about specific roles within a team. A lot of guys look better/worse with specific players around them.

Though I think it's obvious that Mose likes to play guys that can defend, or at least not get destroyed out there on defense while also shooting. Hard task, but there's guys out there.

Buddy is shooting .423 from 3PT on 8.1 3PT attempts a game for Philly.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#411 » by SOUL » Thu Mar 7, 2024 1:29 pm

Knightro wrote:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think it was more like being underwhelmed at his scoring ability in general, he's shot under 37% in 6 out of his last 8 games.

My point was that some of these trade deadline acquisitions may not have really moved the needle at all this season, and some of these guys take time to adjust or will only look good in certain situations.

If we get the last month and a half of Gary, shooting well and taking open shots and defending well, that could be better than any SG we had a chance of acquiring that was just some castaway for THIS season. Maybe the best option for us was certain guys to play better (WCJ/Gary), which they have, and maybe guys like AB to grow more into a role as the season ends too.

I think it's obvious there are upgrades needed this offseason though, but I think they're still figuring out if they want a PG on the roster or if they find it redundant with Suggs/Franz/Paolo having high usage ball-handling, or if they want to keep Suggs as PG and get more size and shooting at SG.

Fultz is the real obvious hole at this point, then Ingles. Gary I wouldn't mind back for cheap if he wanted, but I still want an upgrade.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,844

Post#412 » by Skybox » Thu Mar 7, 2024 1:38 pm

SOUL wrote:
Knightro wrote:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think it was more like being underwhelmed at his scoring ability in general, he's shot under 37% in 6 out of his last 8 games.

My point was that some of these trade deadline acquisitions may not have really moved the needle at all this season, and some of these guys take time to adjust or will only look good in certain situations.

If we get the last month and a half of Gary, shooting well and taking open shots and defending well, that could be better than any SG we had a chance of acquiring that was just some castaway for THIS season. Maybe the best option for us was certain guys to play better (WCJ/Gary), which they have, and maybe guys like AB to grow more into a role as the season ends too.

I think it's obvious there are upgrades needed this offseason though, but I think they're still figuring out if they want a PG on the roster or if they find it redundant with Suggs/Franz/Paolo having high usage ball-handling, or if they want to keep Suggs as PG and get more size and shooting at SG.

Fultz is the real obvious hole at this point, then Ingles. Gary I wouldn't mind back for cheap if he wanted, but I still want an upgrade.

The "Suggs at pseudo-PG" lineups change the game a LOT this summer, if it continues to work out. Still, a really heavy load on Franz & Paolo, but not necessarily being limited to a real PG makes for a much more target-rich environment.
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 712

Post#413 » by JoshuaPotter » Thu Mar 7, 2024 1:41 pm

No such thing as an ugly win. Especially when we are chasing wins for seeding. Not at all.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,409

Post#414 » by pepe1991 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 1:47 pm

When your payroll of $160M includes Joel Embiid and his $48M and Tobias Harris and his $39 M you really can't do much.

When teams resign their star players on money players want, in 99% of cases rest of a roster is made out of leftowers that aren't good enough on their own, rather are situational role players.
So when star is out, you are left with players who can't fill bigger roles.

When you look what's wrong with 76ers it's easy to just point finger on Tobias, but that's not really whole truth.
They resigned him in moments they had Embiid , Simmons and Al Horford, so they would have to lose him for nothing or throw crazy money at him. They elected to resign him on crazy contract.

This is typical contending trap. You simply run out of money in heartbeat and if your star is hurt you are pretty much ruined and there is nothing you can do about it.

And apsolute worst case is supermax. You basically sign "we will keep our superstar and never play serious basketball until he is gone".

76ers fans are delusional, they are without 2 of their best players. any team without two best players ( allstar + mvp ) would suck no matter what other players do or don't do.
They got Hield to compliment Embiid & rest of roster, whole roster without Embiid simply doesn't work. That's normal. For crying out loud, you pay guy $50M a year for a reason. It's like thinking Nuggets would be good without Jokic. They would suck. especially without him and Murray.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#415 » by SOUL » Thu Mar 7, 2024 1:56 pm

Skybox wrote:The "Suggs at pseudo-PG" lineups change the game a LOT this summer, if it continues to work out. Still, a really heavy load on Franz & Paolo, but not necessarily being limited to a real PG makes for a much more target-rich environment.

Legler pointed out that we like to take advantage of the Suggs-Paolo P&R where we are consistently getting switches from Suggs' man where Paolo (or Franz) gets an immediate size advantage.

Of course, that's possible with a lot of PGs, but Suggs doesn't require traditional PG usage to be effective, so it's not like you're neutralizing the main perks of having a guy like CP3 or Tyus out there to run the team.

Downside = lots of silly turnovers, but there is obviously a lot of upside.

Also on defense, when Suggs gets switched onto bigger guys, he is more equipped to handle, say, a Kuzma-Suggs sort of matchup if the opposite thing were to happen, versus Tyus being pretty helpless with Paolo.
p0peye
Lead Assistant

Post#416 » by p0peye » Thu Mar 7, 2024 1:58 pm

pepe1991 wrote:When your payroll of $160M includes Joel Embiid and his $48M and Tobias Harris and his $39 M you really can't do much.

When teams resign their star players on money players want, in 99% of cases rest of a roster is made out of leftowers that aren't good enough on their own, rather are situational role players.
So when star is out, you are left with players who can't fill bigger roles.

When you look what's wrong with 76ers it's easy to just point finger on Tobias, but that's not really whole truth.
They resigned him in moments they had Embiid , Simmons and Al Horford, so they would have to lose him for nothing or throw crazy money at him. They elected to resign him on crazy contract.

This is typical contending trap. You simply run out of money in heartbeat and if your star is hurt you are pretty much ruined and there is nothing you can do about it.

And apsolute worst case is supermax. You basically sign "we will keep our superstar and never play serious basketball until he is gone".

76ers fans are delusional, they are without 2 of their best players. any team without two best players ( allstar + mvp ) would suck no matter what other players do or don't do.
They got Hield to compliment Embiid & rest of roster, whole roster without Embiid simply doesn't work. That's normal. For crying out loud, you pay guy $50M a year for a reason. It's like thinking Nuggets would be good without Jokic. They would suck. especially without him and Murray.

Oh, we are forgetting something there, pepe.

You've letting Philly of the hook here.
p0peye
Lead Assistant

Post#417 » by p0peye » Thu Mar 7, 2024 2:00 pm

SOUL wrote:
Knightro wrote:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I resent that kind of talk, it will lead to Utah stealing our best PG. SMH.
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,757

Post#418 » by Bergmaniac » Thu Mar 7, 2024 2:23 pm

Ugly win, but who cares. Franz and Suggs' defence was crucial, especially in the second half. Paolo's improvement as a passer has been great to see. Another solid game by Black.

Bench was really bad outside of Cole and Mo's burst late in the fourth. Poor Ingles just shouldn't play on the second nights of B2B, he looked dead on his feet. I know that with the injury history of Harris and Isaac we are shorthanded on such nights, but I'd rather have Chuma out there than this version of Ingles. And why play Ingles in the first place if he is barely touching the ball on offense, his playmaking is why he should get minutes. If we are going to have Cole, Paolo or Franz be the ballhandlers 90% of the time, why play Ingles, or Fultz for that matter, at all?

And speaking of Fultz, he is just sad to watch at this point, even against a team with terrible defence and almost non-existent rim protection he struggled mightily on offense and was getting cooked on D. Mosley clearly doesn't trust him to create much at this point so he spends most possessions off-ball which has never been his strength and that's even more true at this point when his outside shot is gone. He forces tough shots near the basket when he gets the ball, he is still quite good at making them, especially for a guard, but you can't be an efficient scorer by mostly attempting contested layups and paint shots as a 6'4" guard, never shooting 3s and barely ever getting to the line. And the lineups where he plays together with Cole has always been bad and this continues to be the case. He is also been clearly worse off the bench than as a starter - way worse net rating mostly due to dreadful ORTG, lower TS%, fewer assists, more turnovers, etc.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,135

Post#419 » by KillMonger » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:31 pm

Bergmaniac wrote:Ugly win, but who cares. Franz and Suggs' defence was crucial, especially in the second half. Paolo's improvement as a passer has been great to see. Another solid game by Black.

Bench was really bad outside of Cole and Mo's burst late in the fourth. Poor Ingles just shouldn't play on the second nights of B2B, he looked dead on his feet. I know that with the injury history of Harris and Isaac we are shorthanded on such nights, but I'd rather have Chuma out there than this version of Ingles. And why play Ingles in the first place if he is barely touching the ball on offense, his playmaking is why he should get minutes. If we are going to have Cole, Paolo or Franz be the ballhandlers 90% of the time, why play Ingles, or Fultz for that matter, at all?

And speaking of Fultz, he is just sad to watch at this point, even against a team with terrible defence and almost non-existent rim protection he struggled mightily on offense and was getting cooked on D. Mosley clearly doesn't trust him to create much at this point so he spends most possessions off-ball which has never been his strength and that's even more true at this point when his outside shot is gone. He forces tough shots near the basket when he gets the ball, he is still quite good at making them, especially for a guard, but you can't be an efficient scorer by mostly attempting contested layups and paint shots as a 6'4" guard, never shooting 3s and barely ever getting to the line. And the lineups where he plays together with Cole has always been bad and this continues to be the case. He is also been clearly worse off the bench than as a starter - way worse net rating mostly due to dreadful ORTG, lower TS%, fewer assists, more turnovers, etc.

normally i never had an issue about fultz defense but lately he's been getting cooked
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,201

Post#420 » by zaymon » Thu Mar 7, 2024 5:32 pm

Bergmaniac wrote:Ugly win, but who cares. Franz and Suggs' defence was crucial, especially in the second half. Paolo's improvement as a passer has been great to see. Another solid game by Black.

Fultz was better with the starters becouse he could hide behind them. He is like a parasite draining from his pray without killing it. He was weakening them and barely anyone noticed becouse they were ok whatsoever. All of this packed with being a great teammate, and great person, killing me softly.
For some reason Weltman decided we need to continoue with this mess. Maybe whole roster stood behind him who knows.
I wanted him gone becouse i knew atmosphere will change for the worse and it had. Right now specifically around fanbase but if we start to lose games and Mosley keeps him in the rotation instead of Black...

Goga would be ok if he didnt make mistake twice a possesion. Watching him is so frustrating. WCJ/Goga/Moe must be the most frustration generating center rotation in the league. For both teams...

Games like this make you think AB, Suggs backcourt could work.... but i doubt it.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !

Return to Orlando Magic