ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 5.0

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

three3d
Junior
And1: 81

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 5.0 

Post#481 » by three3d » Tue May 14, 2024 8:13 pm

Knightro wrote:
three3d wrote:Isaiah Joe would be nice and maybe the price wouldn’t be to high. His last 2 seasons he’s been at 41% 3 point field goal percentage on 394 attempts in 22-23 and 353 attempts this season.

Joe is great, but he's under contract for next season at just $2.16M.

There's no way OKC will part with a guy making that little and producing that much.

Wow that’s a steal
Black and Blue
Sixth Man
And1: 1,462

Post#482 » by Black and Blue » Tue May 14, 2024 8:41 pm

eyriq wrote:
Black and Blue wrote:
eyriq wrote:Sounds like he knows what he's talking about

Hahah. Oh you have no idea, bud. It's such a mixed feeling watching games with him because I feel like such a moron with my observations, but I also learn so much.

Defense especially he calls out who failed to help, which disguised looks the offense was giving to free up certain players, who can't stay on the court because they are liabilities...it gave me a whole new appreciation for the MENTAL level these players are at. It also answered pretty much every question as to how Jett Howard and AB couldn't be given much playing time this season for the sheer level of knowledge they had to pick up.

I asked my friend who his favorite player to watch on the Magic was, expecting him to say Paolo or Suggs or something. His response:

"Oh my goodness it's totally Joe Ingles. He is like an old school player-coach out there, who CLEARLY can barely move anymore but is like a crude, foul-mouthed Master Splinter trying to impart wisdom on the ninja turtles around him in real time during games. When he does anything even remotely positive, like hit a contested three pointer, the whole team goes berserk because they are all students at his dojo."

He added that he felt the team went as far as it did this season because every article and interview he saw with Joe Ingles was him saying his role on the team was to tell these kids they need short memories. Win or lose yesterday, ignore it and be your best self today. That is a playoff mentality that takes years to learn but they hard a season-long lesson in mastering it.
The ultimate test; what does he think about Anthony Black?

He likes him and is rooting hard for him to succeed. He knew coming out that AB was raw and this was a redshirt year. He also MEGA subscribes to the whole “no point guard is good enough to even be judged until their third year” philosophy. Anytime I’ve talked about Anthony Black he is quick to point out the Magic should have had little to no intention of him contributing much this year, because that’s the way smart teams use rookie point guards. The thing he is most excited about is AB’s size and length. The jury is out on whether Black develops as he should, but his size, defense and length makes his future incredibly exciting. He said he would be floored if the Magic include him in any deal this offseason. I guess a lot of the experts he trusts most were amped on AB in the draft.

He is less excited about Jett Howard simply because the film he saw in college didn’t wow him in any way. He said if they have to include a rookie in a trade it’ll likely be Howard or no one (unless the Magic know something he doesn’t).
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,110

Post#483 » by bigdogdylan5 » Tue May 14, 2024 8:41 pm

eyriq wrote:The ultimate test; what does he think about Anthony Black?

I don’t know if anyone can make judgements on Black unless going all the back to college. The magic used him as a 3 and D wing only. Only the Magic know right now if that is because they don’t think he can be a PG ever or was it because the team wanted to win and they think his defense was valuable but he isn’t ready to run an NBA offense.

Rookie point guards just tend to really struggle. Look at Scoot who everyone thought was one of best PG prospects to come out in a while and he was one of the worst players this year that got a lot of minutes. I wouldn’t sell Scoot stock. Point guards need some grace and should be given more patient as that role is way more demanding.
Fine print disclaimer for Fultz:
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year… and I did and he sucks time to move on.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,596

Post#484 » by eyriq » Tue May 14, 2024 10:57 pm

Black and Blue wrote:
He likes him and is rooting hard for him to succeed. He knew coming out that AB was raw and this was a redshirt year. He also MEGA subscribes to the whole “no point guard is good enough to even be judged until their third year” philosophy. Anytime I’ve talked about Anthony Black he is quick to point out the Magic should have had little to no intention of him contributing much this year, because that’s the way smart teams use rookie point guards. The thing he is most excited about is AB’s size and length. The jury is out on whether Black develops as he should, but his size, defense and length makes his future incredibly exciting. He said he would be floored if the Magic include him in any deal this offseason. I guess a lot of the experts he trusts most were amped on AB in the draft.

He is less excited about Jett Howard simply because the film he saw in college didn’t wow him in any way. He said if they have to include a rookie in a trade it’ll likely be Howard or no one (unless the Magic know something he doesn’t).

He clears
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#485 » by eyriq » Tue May 14, 2024 10:59 pm

Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,772

Post#486 » by Cammo101 » Tue May 14, 2024 11:17 pm

Knightro wrote:I think everyone can agree the Magic need more playmaking. That isn't really up for a whole lot of debate.

Whether that's through external additions or just development of Paolo and Franz, I think everyone would pretty much unanimously agree that more ball movement, better passing, fewer turnovers are all paramount for this team offensively.

I think where the road diverges for some is specifically *how* that happens, especially when it comes to the player acquisition front.

A lot of people understandably believe that the Magic need a lead guard to improve the playmaking. That is the most clear and obvious deficiency on the roster and it appears there will be several possibilities on that front, both via trade and free agency.

My push back on that is this...

Does it have to be a point guard?

Brandon Ingram and Paul George are both A+ playmakers on the wing. Ingram in particular was 24th in the entire NBA in APG. You narrow it down to non guards and Ingram was 5th in the NBA behind Jokic, LeBron, Sabonis and Giannis.

He's a great playmaking wing, one of the best in the league, and would immediately join this roster as the best playmaker for others on the entire team. Given his age and experience, he's a much better playmaker than Paolo or Franz (for the time being, maybe they surpass him as they get older).

On top of that, he can score 25 a night and give a sometimes punchless offense some more juice that someone like a Tyus Jones wouldn't be able to provide.

All I'm saying is that if the opportunity presents itself to add a great playmaker to the team and the cost isn't prohibative, I am willing to consider it and perhaps even jump on it even if that player isn't a traditional point guard.

1000% this.

Suggs can easily slide over to PG if we were to land either of these guys. This is the last offseason we can go big game hunting, and these two should be the top names on the list.
QMemphis
Junior
And1: 221

Post#487 » by QMemphis » Tue May 14, 2024 11:32 pm

basketballRob wrote:
QMemphis wrote:
MartinsIzAfraud wrote:You absolutely grab him as your 2nd FA signing after landing Hartenstein or Claxton. Then trade WCJ/Cole+18 for a guard. Oh man 2K is fun

We likely will accept Luke’s team option. No centers on the market we like will be available for the Mle. Luke on that contract still is good value as a bench sniper.
The report says they won't. Plus, his salary puts you over the tax threshold. My guess is they'll just use a portion of the MLE to sign a center. Starting at around $8m

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app

Lol report looks like a guy on twitter from a Magic site started this.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,185

Post#488 » by tiderulz » Wed May 15, 2024 12:28 am

bigdogdylan5 wrote:
eyriq wrote:The ultimate test; what does he think about Anthony Black?

I don’t know if anyone can make judgements on Black unless going all the back to college. The magic used him as a 3 and D wing only. Only the Magic know right now if that is because they don’t think he can be a PG ever or was it because the team wanted to win and they think his defense was valuable but he isn’t ready to run an NBA offense.

Rookie point guards just tend to really struggle. Look at Scoot who everyone thought was one of best PG prospects to come out in a while and he was one of the worst players this year that got a lot of minutes. I wouldn’t sell Scoot stock. Point guards need some grace and should be given more patient as that role is way more demanding.

everyone knew Scoot had to work on his shooting though.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,957

Post#489 » by basketballRob » Wed May 15, 2024 12:34 am

QMemphis wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
QMemphis wrote:
We likely will accept Luke’s team option. No centers on the market we like will be available for the Mle. Luke on that contract still is good value as a bench sniper.
The report says they won't. Plus, his salary puts you over the tax threshold. My guess is they'll just use a portion of the MLE to sign a center. Starting at around $8m

Someone posted it here, and I assumed that it was from a valid source. I still think it's likely they don't pick up the option.

Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,577

Post#490 » by Bensational » Wed May 15, 2024 12:44 am

Black and Blue wrote:I asked my friend who his favorite player to watch on the Magic was, expecting him to say Paolo or Suggs or something. His response:

"Oh my goodness it's totally Joe Ingles. He is like an old school player-coach out there, who CLEARLY can barely move anymore but is like a crude, foul-mouthed Master Splinter trying to impart wisdom on the ninja turtles around him in real time during games. When he does anything even remotely positive, like hit a contested three pointer, the whole team goes berserk because they are all students at his dojo."

He added that he felt the team went as far as it did this season because every article and interview he saw with Joe Ingles was him saying his role on the team was to tell these kids they need short memories. Win or lose yesterday, ignore it and be your best self today. That is a playoff mentality that takes years to learn but they hard a season-long lesson in mastering it.

Quality string of posts that were really insightful to read! I loved this particular observation. Ingles was a fun presence on the team this season for sure. I’m glad he was appreciated by others too.
QMemphis
Junior

Post#491 » by QMemphis » Wed May 15, 2024 12:47 am

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
QMemphis wrote:

Goga would be a solid get for them honestly

Goga is a guy who I asked Magic fans about earlier this season and they told me he was off limits and swore he was getting resigned. But Goga is a plan D for us, I think we have our sights higher.
QMemphis
Junior

Post#492 » by QMemphis » Wed May 15, 2024 12:49 am

basketballRob wrote:
QMemphis wrote:
basketballRob wrote:The report says they won't. Plus, his salary puts you over the tax threshold. My guess is they'll just use a portion of the MLE to sign a center. Starting at around $8m

Someone posted it here, and I assumed that it was from a valid source. I still think it's likely they don't pick up the option.

Why do you think it’s likely?

Also more importantly the reason I am here is to find out what would it take to get Wendell Carter Jr. from you guys?
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#493 » by basketballRob » Wed May 15, 2024 12:54 am

QMemphis wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
QMemphis wrote:

Also more importantly the reason I am here is to find out what would it take to get Wendell Carter Jr. from you guys?
It would put you over the tax threshold with Bane's contract kicking in. I don't think they'd be willing to pay the tax after not making the playoffs last season. With the 9th pick's salary, it would put you around $8m over the tax.

QMemphis
Junior

Post#494 » by QMemphis » Wed May 15, 2024 1:03 am

basketballRob wrote:
QMemphis wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Someone posted it here, and I assumed that it was from a valid source. I still think it's likely they don't pick up the option.

It would put you over the tax threshold with Bane's contract kicking in. I don't think they'd be willing to pay the tax after not making the playoffs last season. With the 9th pick's salary, it would put you around $8m over the tax.

Luke is an asset seriously doubt we turn down his option.

We view ourselves as a contender so being in the tax shouldn’t be the reason we give away rotation players.
QMemphis
Junior

Post#495 » by QMemphis » Wed May 15, 2024 1:03 am

What will it take for you guys to trade WCJ?
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#496 » by eyriq » Wed May 15, 2024 1:12 am

QMemphis wrote:What will it take for you guys to trade WCJ?
Kennard and your lotto pick?
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#497 » by basketballRob » Wed May 15, 2024 1:16 am

eyriq wrote:
That might put them just under the tax threshold.

QMemphis
Junior

Post#498 » by QMemphis » Wed May 15, 2024 1:31 am

eyriq wrote:

What about Kennard/25 1st/3 2nds for WCJ
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,988

Post#499 » by Nyce_1 » Wed May 15, 2024 1:36 am

QMemphis wrote:
eyriq wrote:

2nds mean nothing to us. You want him, #9

And he's only available if his replacement is secured (Hartenstein).
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 727

Post#500 » by RichCollab » Wed May 15, 2024 1:37 am

QMemphis wrote:
eyriq wrote:

We don’t need more draft picks. Also, Kennard has average 32 games the past 3 seasons.

This deal is DOA.

Return to Orlando Magic