ImageImageImageImage

Who is Paolo Banchero?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,050

Re: Who is Paolo Banchero? 

Post#61 » by fendilim » Wed Nov 1, 2023 6:25 am

djguevara114 wrote:
fendilim wrote:Paolo’s shot appears to be back to being flat again.

During Fiba, the ball release had a better loop.

It seems to me he is struggling with adjusting to the NBA ball with the shooting tweak he possibly did with Chip.

Once he figures it out, all signs points up.

Seriously? Are you watching the same first four games as everyone else? All signs point up to being a role player?
i did.

I watched all games last season, even watched FIBA live.

His shot has more arch during FIBA.
dsg2021
Analyst
And1: 1,050

Post#62 » by dsg2021 » Wed Nov 1, 2023 7:35 am

Paolo is a better passing star player than most others. The solution I've been saying for months is to lower the guards' usage and make Paolo and Franz much closer to point forwards than they are now. Would we even have some or most of these players in 2-3 seasons outside of Paolo and Franz? Is it really so bad to develop Paolo and Franz during this insignificant 35 win season?
dsg2021
Analyst
And1: 1,050

Post#63 » by dsg2021 » Wed Nov 1, 2023 7:38 am

fendilim wrote:
djguevara114 wrote:
fendilim wrote:Paolo’s shot appears to be back to being flat again.

During Fiba, the ball release had a better loop.

It seems to me he is struggling with adjusting to the NBA ball with the shooting tweak he possibly did with Chip.

Once he figures it out, all signs points up.

Seriously? Are you watching the same first four games as everyone else? All signs point up to being a role player?
i did.

He's looked the least confident these four games than I have ever seen him. It's almost for sure a bad stretch at least (instead of the baseline).
msmoore66
Pro Prospect
And1: 370

Post#64 » by msmoore66 » Wed Nov 1, 2023 7:40 am

djguevara114 wrote:
msmoore66 wrote:What a sad read this thread is.

Why is that? Because folks that know and have played basketball can see major concern? I can appreciate playing the right way, but there has to be a confidence, dominance to a franchise’s “number one” player—he doesn’t have it… I would love him in the perspective of a third option, but we showcase him as a franchise player—he is not that… He was a volume shooter on a bad team last year—second lowest FG% by any ROY candidate ever, only behind MCW…

He is a good player, just be realistic about what his ceiling is… He can’t shoot and attacks the rim soft—every attempt is a layup… You’re 6’10”—go up to make a poster.

I just think its an overreaction. Small sample size etc. It's like as a fan base we want something to worry about. Save the worrying for when it's really needed is my view.
I agree he isn't playing at his best right now, but the fact we know this isn't his best its a good thing.
I also agree that he seems unassertive right now, and that could be a concern, but once again it's a small sample size. Give it time, wait and see.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,050

Post#65 » by fendilim » Wed Nov 1, 2023 8:19 am

dsg2021 wrote:
fendilim wrote:
djguevara114 wrote:
i did.

He's looked the least confident these four games than I have ever seen him. It's almost for sure a bad stretch at least (instead of the baseline).

Last year, we were putting him in a position to score. Running plays for him, and making sure he scores 20ppg last year. We would sit him right after he scores 20 etc.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,408

Post#66 » by pepe1991 » Wed Nov 1, 2023 9:16 am

fendilim wrote:
dsg2021 wrote:
fendilim wrote:i did.

Last year, we were putting him in a position to score. Running plays for him, and making sure he scores 20ppg last year. We would sit him right after he scores 20 etc.

You mean we Tyreke Evan-ed his ROY ? :D (jk ofc)

We were 16-26 in games when Paolo shot more than 15 FGA.

Lot of Paolo's offense were empty calories.
In only 21 out of 72 games, 6'10- 250 pounds PF , who doesn't shoot many threes- menaged to have FG% above 50%.

In 36 out of 72 games his FG% was below 44%.
In 27 out of 72 games his FG% was below 40%
in 17 out of 72 games his FG% was below 35%

Paolo in general has to learn how to be more effective , and not just average bunch of points on sheer volumen and ability to draw fouls.

Imo, Franz and Paolo are biggest victims of Fultz- Suggs experiment. Harris didn't do anything special, but he made sure one person has to pay attention to him, not Franz nor Paolo. Addition of Suggs in SL gives team more edge on defense ,but also trashes our offense and so far seems to be massive problem for our two best players, who are left with some awkward jumpshots to take as defense only focuses on them. Franz takes near 8 three point shots a game. He is average shooter, he has no business taking 8 threes a game. But he has to, because who else will ? Suggs and his career sub 30% or Fultz who refuses to shoot? Wendell? Jaiks.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,572

Post#67 » by Bensational » Wed Nov 1, 2023 9:29 am

Paolo = AG + FTs/D - Jokic

We can move Fultz but it won’t make a difference unless you bring in an actual #1 option, and Fultz isn’t getting that kind of return.
Ralof
Pro Prospect
And1: 514

Post#68 » by Ralof » Wed Nov 1, 2023 9:32 am

pepe1991 wrote:
fendilim wrote:
dsg2021 wrote:He's looked the least confident these four games than I have ever seen him. It's almost for sure a bad stretch at least (instead of the baseline).

Imo, Franz and Paolo are biggest victims of Fultz- Suggs experiment.

Paolo and Franz are just victims of absurd expectations,by fans and media both.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,837

Post#69 » by Skybox » Wed Nov 1, 2023 10:45 am

pepe1991 wrote:
fendilim wrote:
dsg2021 wrote:He's looked the least confident these four games than I have ever seen him. It's almost for sure a bad stretch at least (instead of the baseline).

In only 21 out of 72 games, 6'10- 250 pounds PF , who doesn't shoot many threes- menaged to have FG% above 50%.

Paolo in general has to learn how to be more effective , and not just average bunch of points on sheer volumen and ability to draw fouls.

Imo, Franz and Paolo are biggest victims of Fultz- Suggs experiment. Harris didn't do anything special, but he made sure one person has to pay attention to him, not Franz nor Paolo. Addition of Suggs in SL gives team more edge on defense ,but also trashes our offense and so far seems to be massive problem for our two best players, who are left with some awkward jumpshots to take as defense only focuses on them. Franz takes near 8 three point shots a game. He is average shooter, he has no business taking 8 threes a game. But he has to, because who else will ? Suggs and his career sub 30% or Fultz who refuses to shoot? Wendell? Jaiks.

Suggs can only function next to a volume shooting/scoring PG. Fultz can only function next to a volume shooting/scoring SG….something has to give. That something is obvious to me. Get Simons while he’s out injured, before he comes back and scores 25 ppg of empty stats and stop pretending there’s any hope for miracles. Park him in the film room, get him relocated and comfortable and let’s stop the foolishness. Paolo will become an all-star quickly with air support to clear space for him and finish his kick-outs.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,179

Post#70 » by tiderulz » Wed Nov 1, 2023 12:33 pm

Ralof wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
fendilim wrote:Last year, we were putting him in a position to score. Running plays for him, and making sure he scores 20ppg last year. We would sit him right after he scores 20 etc.

Imo, Franz and Paolo are biggest victims of Fultz- Suggs experiment.

Paolo and Franz are just victims of absurd expectations,by fans and media both.

i dont think the expectations are absurb. I think the expectations come from their play last year. and the season is young, im not overly worried about them.

i will say, expectations of Paolo playing with the USA team were absurd, that just being on that team, he was going to come back and play like a superstar. he is still 20 and will continue to have his growing pains like 95% of all college players that come into the NBA.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,179

Post#71 » by tiderulz » Wed Nov 1, 2023 12:33 pm

Skybox wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
fendilim wrote:Last year, we were putting him in a position to score. Running plays for him, and making sure he scores 20ppg last year. We would sit him right after he scores 20 etc.

Suggs can only function next to a volume shooting/scoring PG. Fultz can only function next to a volume shooting/scoring SG….something has to give. That something is obvious to me. Get Simons while he’s out injured, before he comes back and scores 25 ppg of empty stats and stop pretending there’s any hope for miracles. Park him in the film room, get him relocated and comfortable and let’s stop the foolishness. Paolo will become an all-star quickly with air support to clear space for him and finish his kick-outs.

preach
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 712

Post#72 » by JoshuaPotter » Wed Nov 1, 2023 1:10 pm

This thread shouldn't be 4 pages long.....unless its people like me posting that it shouldn't be 4 pages long.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,201

Post#73 » by zaymon » Wed Nov 1, 2023 1:10 pm

Paolo is underperforming and sulking thats for sure but we need to be honest guy is driving into bus parked under opponents rim.
We are giving him impossible task and then we are suprised he cant do it.
Could he do better in that circumstances ? Yes, but also he could do worse.
I put the blame on Mosley, his starting lineup is a product of insane person. All players start to lose confidence.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,744

Post#74 » by Bergmaniac » Wed Nov 1, 2023 1:17 pm

It's very early days obviously, but Paolo's impact numbers are absolutely brutal so far. The offense has been way better with him on the bench (118.6 ORTG when he sits compared to 97.7 when he is on the court) and his overall on/off rating is -25.4.

The breakdown on how we do when both Paolo and Franz play compared to when one of them play or they both sit is also telling - https://www.pbpstats.com/wowy-combos/nba?TeamId=1610612753&Season=2023-24&SeasonType=Regular%2BSeason&PlayerIds=1630532,1631094&OnlyCommonGames=true

Small sample sizes, obviously, but the results are a more extreme continuation of what we saw last year - the lineups where Paolo plays and Franz sits are terrible offensively and defensively while the lineups without Paolo and with Franz do very well.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,585

Post#75 » by eyriq » Wed Nov 1, 2023 1:29 pm

Bergmaniac wrote:It's very early days obviously, but Paolo's impact numbers are absolutely brutal so far. The offense has been way better with him on the bench (118.6 ORTG when he sits compared to 97.7 when he is on the court) and his overall on/off rating is -25.4.

The breakdown on how we do when both Paolo and Franz play compared to when one of them play or they both sit is also telling - https://www.pbpstats.com/wowy-combos/nba?TeamId=1610612753&Season=2023-24&SeasonType=Regular%2BSeason&PlayerIds=1630532,1631094&OnlyCommonGames=true

Small sample sizes, obviously, but the results are a more extreme continuation of what we saw last year - the lineups where Paolo plays and Franz sits are terrible offensively and defensively while the lineups without Paolo and with Franz do very well.
Whoa Nelly that's some brutal splits
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,186

Post#76 » by OrlChamps2030 » Wed Nov 1, 2023 2:19 pm

zaymon wrote:Paolo is underperforming and sulking thats for sure but we need to be honest guy is driving into bus parked under opponents rim.
I put the blame on Mosley, his starting lineup is a product of insane person. All players start to lose confidence.

What starting lineup would you run? I don’t think Mosley is some kind of great coach, but I feel like his hands are tied by the front office with the way this roster is constructed.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,201

Post#77 » by zaymon » Wed Nov 1, 2023 3:13 pm

OrlChamps2030 wrote:
zaymon wrote:Paolo is underperforming and sulking thats for sure but we need to be honest guy is driving into bus parked under opponents rim.

What starting lineup would you run? I don’t think Mosley is some kind of great coach, but I feel like his hands are tied by the front office with the way this roster is constructed.

Fultz/Harris/Wagner/Banchero/Carter but both Fultz and Carter look broken mentally and scared so i wouldnt rule out starting Anthony or even waiting until all star break to start Black instead of Markelle. WCJ is more worrying. Guy shows why Bulls gave up on him i hope he can bounce back but i saw the signs last year too. Gets easly frustrated, bad hands.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,186

Post#78 » by OrlChamps2030 » Wed Nov 1, 2023 3:40 pm

zaymon wrote:
OrlChamps2030 wrote:

Fultz/Harris/Wagner/Banchero/Carter but both Fultz and Carter look broken mentally and scared so i wouldnt rule out starting Anthony or even waiting until all star break to start Black instead of Markelle. WCJ is more worrying. Guy shows why Bulls gave up on him i hope he can bounce back but i saw the signs last year too. Gets easly frustrated, bad hands.

Yeah unless Suggs suddenly becomes an average shooter, I could see him being benched for Harris sooner rather than later. This forum will have a complete meltdown though, lol. This is just a band-aid fix though.

I don’t see Cole starting as an option. He’s a bench guy. He signed a bench player deal. He’s good in his role - but he brings nothing to the table if his shot isn’t falling so he can’t be a starter.

Unless a trade is made the PG solution isn’t on this roster. Considering Franz is an average shooter, Paolo is below average shooter and Suggs is a below average shooter, The FO attaching this season’s hopes to a non-shooting PG is such a fail.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,954

Post#79 » by basketballRob » Wed Nov 1, 2023 3:43 pm

It's hard to see Suggs' value unless you watch the games.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,585

Post#80 » by eyriq » Wed Nov 1, 2023 3:44 pm

OrlChamps2030 wrote:
zaymon wrote:
OrlChamps2030 wrote:

Yeah unless Suggs suddenly becomes an average shooter, I could see him being benched for Harris sooner rather than later. This forum will have a complete meltdown though, lol. This is just a band-aid fix though.

I don’t see Cole starting as an option. He’s a bench guy. He signed a bench player deal. He’s good in his role - but he brings nothing to the table if his shot isn’t falling so he can’t be a starter.

Unless a trade is made the PG solution isn’t on this roster. Considering Franz is an average shooter, Paolo is below average shooter and Suggs is a below average shooter, The FO attaching this season’s hopes to a non-shooting PG is such a fail.
I'll have an aneurysm if we bench Suggs

Return to Orlando Magic