ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 5.0

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,954

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 5.0 

Post#61 » by basketballRob » Fri May 10, 2024 12:12 pm

Dwight isn't good now.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#62 » by basketballRob » Fri May 10, 2024 12:25 pm

I think it's a good season to trade Wendell and give Goga a deal. I just watched Mitchell shoot over Wendell for a whole series. The Cavs dominated the paint in the last couple of games. Most of Mitchell's 50 points were floaters over Carter.

Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,834

Post#64 » by Skybox » Fri May 10, 2024 1:38 pm

basketballRob wrote:I think it's a good season to trade Wendell and give Goga a deal. I just watched Mitchell shoot over Wendell for a whole series. The Cavs dominated the paint in the last couple of games. Most of Mitchell's 50 points were floaters over Carter.

I'd consider that, but only as a stopgap...Mitchell would go around Goga even faster. My next goal, when the dust settles is upgrading C...maybe our FO is so high on a guy like Ware long-term, that they'd live with Goga while he bakes and learns.

WCJ is a much better player than Goga, imo, but I'd consider taking a step back at C if his trade value (contract, age, versatility) helped us solve our most pressing need optimally (Dejounte, for example). I know I've said it a million times :roll: but I think WCJ would be a lot better on a different team, with a different frontcourt/backcourt offensive balance.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,042

Post#65 » by drsd » Fri May 10, 2024 1:52 pm

Skybox wrote:Bogi’s exit interview has me wondering if he’s headed out of town. He’d add a lot of what ORL lacks in their backcourt…elite shooting and good veteran judgment. Hes 31 and has 3 more years at around 16.5m per.

ORL sends: Cole Anthony, Jett Howard, ORL 25 frp, DEN 25 frp, ORL 27 frp
ATL sends: Bogi, Murray (into cap space)

I love this trade for Orlando.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#66 » by Skybox » Fri May 10, 2024 2:03 pm

drsd wrote:
Skybox wrote:Bogi’s exit interview has me wondering if he’s headed out of town. He’d add a lot of what ORL lacks in their backcourt…elite shooting and good veteran judgment. Hes 31 and has 3 more years at around 16.5m per.

ORL sends: Cole Anthony, Jett Howard, ORL 25 frp, DEN 25 frp, ORL 27 frp
ATL sends: Bogi, Murray (into cap space)

I love this trade for Orlando.

Yeah...Bogi might be among the most underrated combo guards on a great deal. Just getting him would be not enough, imo. But the combo would be an amazing jump. Do you think the package going out is enough? On the TnT board, I went into more detail from ATL side...they would free up a LOT of cap space (which is easy to overlook) and sign Miles Bridges, who was a near All-Star, playing completely dependent on Lamelo's dimes and gravity. Trae would have the same potential chemistry...If ATL trades DJM, I think it's an indication that they're going "Full Trae" and everything else is support staff- like Iverson on PHI's Finals team...I don't think that's a terrible direction for them vs starting over or trying to build around DJM. I love DJM, but I don't think he's a real cornerstone like Trae. IMO, the Iverson comp is as close as it gets. Trae has flaws-but he gets it done on at the most elite level of offense-like him or not...and he just won't play off-ball, so it's roll with him or he takes his ball and go home. ATL has options.

Something around WCJ for Capela might also fit here, if ATL goes for a youth movement with Bridges and Jalen Johnson on the wings and a more versatile WCJ in the middle. I'm always angling for AJ Griffin too as a Paolo wingman reunion.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#67 » by Skybox » Fri May 10, 2024 2:06 pm

Honestly, Bogi might be a better player than Klay at half the salary in 2024. He's def under the radar.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#68 » by basketballRob » Fri May 10, 2024 2:18 pm

It's looking more and more like we're going to overpay Klay for 2 years.

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,859

Post#69 » by Knightro » Fri May 10, 2024 2:38 pm

basketballRob wrote:It's looking more and more like we're going to overpay Klay for 2 years.

I think this is the most likely scenario as well.

I don’t think Weltman is anywhere close to as interested in adding playmaking than most of the fans are.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,585

Post#70 » by eyriq » Fri May 10, 2024 2:52 pm

Knightro wrote:
basketballRob wrote:It's looking more and more like we're going to overpay Klay for 2 years.

I don’t think Weltman is anywhere close to as interested in adding playmaking than most of the fans are.
He drafted Black for his playmaking
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#71 » by basketballRob » Fri May 10, 2024 2:59 pm

eyriq wrote:
Knightro wrote:

He drafted Black for his playmaking
Exactly. We'll probably try and develop rookie scale players over the next 2 seasons to fit around Paolo, Franz, and Suggs. Hopefully, out of Black, Howard, and 3 more 1st round picks in the next 2 years that we hit on a couple of them.

pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,407

Post#72 » by pepe1991 » Fri May 10, 2024 3:05 pm

But Black showed next to nothing in playmaking department in rookie year, and he wasn't prolific passer at college.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#73 » by basketballRob » Fri May 10, 2024 3:25 pm

pepe1991 wrote:But Black showed next to nothing in playmaking department in rookie year, and he wasn't prolific passer at college.
He was a young college player, 18 for half the season, and a pro player at 19 for half the season. I think he has shown flashes. Rookies that age almost never have a positive impact on winning, so they limited his role when he did play.

pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,407

Post#74 » by pepe1991 » Fri May 10, 2024 3:51 pm

basketballRob wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:But Black showed next to nothing in playmaking department in rookie year, and he wasn't prolific passer at college.
He was a young college player, 18 for half the season, and a pro player at 19 for half the season. I think he has shown flashes. Rookies that age almost never have a positive impact on winning, so they limited his role when he did play.

I didn't talk about him overall but playmaking. In his rookie year he didn't even play- playmaker.

And in general he will be playing catchup with Franz and Paolo who are in win now mode and who push team into win now mode.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#75 » by Knightro » Fri May 10, 2024 4:06 pm

I'm with pepe on this one.

Black played 1164 minutes and had just 91 assists.

Wendell and Moritz both had more that that, ya know?

Markelle had more in over 250 fewer minutes.

Gary Harris, who we all think is awful at almost everything, had 87 assists.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#76 » by eyriq » Fri May 10, 2024 4:12 pm

Knightro wrote:I'm with pepe on this one.

Black played 1164 minutes and had just 91 assists.

Wendell and Moritz both had more that that, ya know?

Markelle had more in over 250 fewer minutes.

Gary Harris, who we all think is awful at almost everything, had 87 assists.
Are we going to ignore his playmaking because we didn't see it his rookie year?
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#77 » by Knightro » Fri May 10, 2024 4:20 pm

eyriq wrote:Are we going to ignore his playmaking because we didn't see it his rookie year?

We have to, don't we?

Black didn't appear overly comfortable even trying to dribble the basketball in the halfcourt, much less actually attempting to create a shot for someone else off the dribble.

Maybe he'll be a good playmaker at the NBA level, but it didn't exist at all his rookie year and I'm skeptical there's this ace playmaker just hidden in there.

More likely to me is that he *could* become a good playmaker in time, but will need lots and lots of ugly developmental reps to get there.

Reps that I'm not sure the team, coming off 47 wins and a super competitive 1st round series, is really going to be in a position to give him.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#78 » by eyriq » Fri May 10, 2024 4:25 pm

Knightro wrote:
eyriq wrote:Are we going to ignore his playmaking because we didn't see it his rookie year?

We have to, don't we?

Black didn't appear overly comfortable even trying to dribble the basketball in the halfcourt, much less actually attempting to create a shot for someone else off the dribble.

Maybe he'll be a good playmaker at the NBA level, but it didn't exist at all his rookie year and I'm skeptical there's this ace playmaker just hidden in there.

More likely to me is that he *could* become a good playmaker in time, but will need lots and lots of ugly developmental reps to get there.

Reps that I'm not sure the team, coming off 47 wins and a super competitive 1st round series, is really going to be in a position to give him.
I don't think we have to at all. Taking his size and skillset and developing him to be anything other than a playmaking PG is malpractice. There is no rush that requires sacrificing player development of lotto talent. 47 wins because of lotto talent development should reinforce the value of lotto talent development.
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 711

Post#79 » by JoshuaPotter » Fri May 10, 2024 4:35 pm

It became obvious about 3rd quarter of the season that playing Black was a fluke never intended to happen at all. I think management wanted to see how far the entire roster could go minus development pieces on the back end.

Ended in a g7 of the 1st round. A rousing success if the goal at the start of the year was playin / playoff. If Black in year 2 is better then 1 of Fultz or Harris then regardless of how Knightro / Pepe / or even I feel about it, its a win for management.

Oh and it is cheaper then keeping either long term. Although I personally think we resign Gary Harris. We are not done with his corpse yet.
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 723

Post#80 » by RichCollab » Fri May 10, 2024 4:51 pm

eyriq wrote:
Knightro wrote:

We have to, don't we?

I don't think we have to at all. Taking his size and skillset and developing him to be anything other than a playmaking PG is malpractice. There is no rush that requires sacrificing player development of lotto talent. 47 wins because of lotto talent development should reinforce the value of lotto talent development.

What part of there is no playmaking there to develop? Do you not understand?

Return to Orlando Magic