ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 5.0

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,954

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 5.0 

Post#81 » by basketballRob » Fri May 10, 2024 5:02 pm

Knightro wrote:I'm with pepe on this one.

Black played 1164 minutes and had just 91 assists.

Wendell and Moritz both had more that that, ya know?

Markelle had more in over 250 fewer minutes.

Gary Harris, who we all think is awful at almost everything, had 87 assists.
He played the same role as Harris.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,857

Post#82 » by Knightro » Fri May 10, 2024 5:10 pm

basketballRob wrote:

The difference is we know that Harris can’t do it because he’s been in the league for a decade and we know what his limitations are.

The fact that they drafted Anthony Black, who was a point guard prospect and played point guard in college, and did not use him at point guard literally at all despite him playing over 1100 minutes should ring some alarm bells should it not?

They didn’t trust their sixth overall pick to initiate a single offensive set? Or run a single pick and roll?

That in and of itself is alarming.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,832

Post#83 » by Skybox » Fri May 10, 2024 5:22 pm

pepe1991 wrote:But Black showed next to nothing in playmaking department in rookie year, and he wasn't prolific passer at college.

Oh yeah...There is that :lol:
Skybox
RealGM

Post#84 » by Skybox » Fri May 10, 2024 5:23 pm

basketballRob wrote:

I like Harris well enough, but if you're talking about offensive creation...he makes Suggs look like Chris Paul. :noway:
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,050

Post#85 » by fendilim » Fri May 10, 2024 5:24 pm

Knightro wrote:
basketballRob wrote:

The difference is we know that Harris can’t do it because he’s been in the league for a decade and we know what his limitations are.

The fact that they drafted Anthony Black, who was a point guard prospect and played point guard in college, and did not use him at point guard literally at all despite him playing over 1100 minutes should ring some alarm bells should it not?

They didn’t trust their sixth overall pick to initiate a single offensive set? Or run a single pick and roll?

I think with how we started the season, overachieving with the 10-0 run, it really changed the course of the season.

Then we were basically in the running top 6 most of the year, then players started falling down for the top 4 teams so we climbed the ladder even higher.

I think that played a role to why Black didn’t get PG minutes. Because it is really rare to get quality minutes from a rookie, especially at the PG position. Then the wins just kept coming and the goalpost simply just got higher and higher.

Also, I think there really wasn’t much freedom with his role too because he had to fill in the position that really were empty because of injury. And Black being 6’7” allowed us to fill those hole in without any size disadvantage. He just have to do whatever Mosley ask him to do. And there really wasn’t much minutes to play at the point, imo. Suggs and Cole have pretty much been healthy all season.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#86 » by Skybox » Fri May 10, 2024 5:25 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:It became obvious about 3rd quarter of the season that playing Black was a fluke never intended to happen at all. I think management wanted to see how far the entire roster could go minus development pieces on the back end.

Ended in a g7 of the 1st round. A rousing success if the goal at the start of the year was playin / playoff. If Black in year 2 is better then 1 of Fultz or Harris then regardless of how Knightro / Pepe / or even I feel about it, its a win for management.

Oh and it is cheaper then keeping either long term. Although I personally think we resign Gary Harris. We are not done with his corpse yet.

You make it sound like the #6 overall draft pick is not a significant cost for that degree of "win"
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,585

Post#87 » by eyriq » Fri May 10, 2024 5:29 pm

RichCollab wrote:
What part of there is no playmaking there to develop? Do you not understand?

That entire opinion?
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,130

Post#88 » by KillMonger » Fri May 10, 2024 5:32 pm

Paul George apparently won't accept anything less than a max deal
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#89 » by Knightro » Fri May 10, 2024 5:39 pm

KillMonger wrote:Paul George apparently won't accept anything less than a max deal

Totally expected.

The real question is will he take a 3 year deal, or is he insisting on the full 4 year deal?
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,954

Post#90 » by basketballRob » Fri May 10, 2024 5:47 pm

Knightro wrote:
basketballRob wrote:

He was in a limited role because he was a young rookie on a team trying to win. Cason Wallace got a bigger role as backup guard for the entire season on a teamtryingto win. He averaged 3.4 assists per 100 compared to 3.9 for Black.

eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#91 » by eyriq » Fri May 10, 2024 5:51 pm

Path 1: Claxton and trade for Simons.
Path 2: Russell or Monk
Path 3: Klay
Path 4: Tyus & GTJ
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 599

Post#92 » by MasterGMer » Fri May 10, 2024 5:52 pm

Knightro wrote:
KillMonger wrote:Paul George apparently won't accept anything less than a max deal

Totally expected.

The real question is will he take a 3 year deal, or is he insisting on the full 4 year deal?

The real question should be will he be willing to come to a young Orlando Magic team? If he sees the potential, he definitely should consider. He could be that PIECE
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,068

Post#93 » by p0peye » Fri May 10, 2024 6:05 pm

I don't really care about any of those names. We need a player that is:
a) primary ball handler
b) primary scorer
c) very good to great shooter

Here's my list: https://www.nba.com/stats/players/traditional?CF=PTS*GE*25:FG3_PCT*GE*0.36:AST*GE*5&PlayerPosition=G&dir=A&sort=FG3_PCT

None of those guys are FA this year and only a few are probably tradeable, but that is what FO is getting paid for.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#94 » by Knightro » Fri May 10, 2024 6:18 pm

basketballRob wrote:He was in a limited role because he was a young rookie on a team trying to win. Cason Wallace got a bigger role as backup guard for the entire season on a teamtryingto win. He averaged 3.4 assists per 100 compared to 3.9 for Black.

Again... apples and oranges man.

The Thunder had the No. 3 ranked offense in the entire NBA. They truly didn't need Wallace to come in and do anything on offense except catch-and-shoot.

Wallace averaged just 11.9 touches per game in the front court with an average time of possession of just 0.9.

The Magic had a bad offense that severely lacked playmaking and passing, yet they couldn't get the #6 overall pick involved in any sort of playmaking whatsoever?

They opted to use him as a pure 3&D player instead of even *attempting* to see if some of his playmaking skills could positively impact the offense?

And now what are we going to see out of Black in year 2? Because if the idea is that he is going to have this fleshed out ability to make plays for others that he's been developing in secret and not go through the normal inexperienced player struggles that he *should* have gone through this year, but didn't... I dunno about all that.

There are certain skills you can develop and improve with a relentless work ethic in the summer with a trainer.

Playmaking is not one of those skills. You develop it by actually using it in real basketball games.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#95 » by eyriq » Fri May 10, 2024 6:22 pm

Knightro wrote: Because if the idea is that he is going to have this fleshed out ability to make plays for others that he's been developing in secret and not go through the normal inexperienced player struggles that he *should* have gone through this year, but didn't... I dunno about all that.

Developing in secret? He's been a point guard at every stage of his basketball playing history.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#96 » by Knightro » Fri May 10, 2024 6:27 pm

eyriq wrote:
Knightro wrote: Because if the idea is that he is going to have this fleshed out ability to make plays for others that he's been developing in secret and not go through the normal inexperienced player struggles that he *should* have gone through this year, but didn't... I dunno about all that.

Developing in secret? He's been a point guard at every stage of his basketball playing history.

He didn't play a single minute of point guard this season in a game that mattered. That's a problem. What the guy did in high school and college is, frankly, completely irrelevant to where he's at in his NBA development.

If you actually think he's going to do anything but completely stink if they stick him on the ball and tell him to be a point guard next season, you're sadly mistaken.

To be clear, he would have also stunk had the stuck him on the ball this year, but it would have been much more likely he wouldn't have stunk this upcoming season had they just bit the bullet and gotten him the ugly developmental reps he really needed.

Instead they essentially wasted a full year of this kid's development... and for what? Cole sucked and Markelle was hurt and the offense was still terrible.

Nothing tangibly good came out of Black's rookie season.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#97 » by eyriq » Fri May 10, 2024 6:31 pm

Knightro wrote:
eyriq wrote:

He didn't play a single minute of point guard this season in a game that mattered. That's a problem. What the guy did in high school and college is, frankly, completely irrelevant to where he's at in his NBA development.

If you actually think he's going to do anything but completely stink if they stick him on the ball and tell him to be a point guard next season, you're sadly mistaken.

To be clear, he would have also stunk had the stuck him on the ball this year, but it would have been much more likely he wouldn't have stunk this upcoming season had they just bit the bullet and gotten him the ugly developmental reps he really needed.

Instead they essentially wasted a full year of this kid's development... and for what? Cole sucked and Markelle was hurt and the offense was still terrible.

Nothing tangibly good came out of Black's rookie season.
He played a majority of his minutes as the point guard. His role was 3&D. No evidence he can't handle playmaking duties, only evidence he wasn't asked to.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#98 » by Knightro » Fri May 10, 2024 7:02 pm

eyriq wrote:He played a majority of his minutes as the point guard. His role was 3&D. No evidence he can't handle playmaking duties, only evidence he wasn't asked to.

1. Player has playmaking and passing in every single one one of his draft prospect scouting reports as a strength
2. Player gets drafted by a team that is extremely devoid of playmaking from their guard rotation
3. Team doesn't even ATTEMPT to have that player do any sort of playmaking despite that player playing 1100+ minutes

Something is off with that.

The fact that Fultz missed half the season and Cole was awful for a good chunk of the season and they still never really even considered trying Black as an initiator is a red flag to me.

It was a completely wasted season for AB developmentally speaking.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,138

Post#99 » by Residual-Heat » Fri May 10, 2024 7:05 pm

There were a couple of games were Franz was out and Black was starting IIRC and even then, Black did not really have any playmaking duties. It was basically all Paolo.
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,110

Post#100 » by bigdogdylan5 » Fri May 10, 2024 7:16 pm

Knightro wrote:

Totally expected.

Honestly the full four year deal is growing on me. If you consider Chris Paul, you would be paying Paul George for the equivalent of Paul’s OKC year and 3 years in Phx if we were to get that level of veteran presence and production from him even if there is a drop off in the last year or so I think it would be worth it. His game is not overly relying on athleticism he uses his size well and he shoots well. My only concern would be can he play the two guard in the final year or two as he might lose some of his defensive speed. Now players age differently but looking at how he is playing and more recent examples of stars aging well. I think you pull that trigger if he wants to come here.
Fine print disclaimer for Fultz:
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year… and I did and he sucks time to move on.

Return to Orlando Magic