ImageImageImageImage

2024 Draft Prospects Orlando Magic Should Get

Moderators: UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass

RichCollab
Starter
And1: 728

Re: 2024 Draft Prospects Orlando Magic Should Get 

Post#801 » by RichCollab » Wed May 15, 2024 12:14 am

T-Cat wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
The Effect wrote:Anyone else a big fan of Ware from indiana?

I am.... just.... i dunno if those i read about motor/desire to play has any legs. If those arent true then he is a lotto pick and out of our range.

I'm getting Mo Bamba vibes.

I heard it mentioned Ware doesn’t live basketball. It’s not something he loves
Message Boar
Analyst
And1: 1,928

Post#802 » by Message Boar » Wed May 15, 2024 12:14 am

I'm kind of the opposite on Filipowski. Whenever I watched him, he just feels like a good college player that doesn't work at the next level. Too slow to guard on the perimeter, not long/physical enough to be a presence inside. The skill is obvious though, so I still have him #22 overall.

As for Ware, I quite like him, but yeah I'm wondering about the reports about his motor/desire as well. Mo Bamba comps seems apt if that's true. Hard to tell from the limited footage I watched. If it's not that bad and he gets motivated once he understands how much $ he can make if he succeeds at the nba level, he has within the top-5 highest upside in this draft, not that far off Sarr, imo. Think Myles Turner. Wouldn't mind it if we scooped him up if he fell to us and develop him for when Wendell's contract is up.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,579

Post#803 » by Bensational » Wed May 15, 2024 12:24 am

Knightro wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Flipowski may be the player that falls. Just looking at his stats reminds me of Domantis Sabonis.

Hey you and I finally agree on something!

I like Fillipowski a lot and I'm really encouraged by his jump from 28% to 35% from 3PT from year 1 to 2 at Duke.

If that shooting number keeps rising, you have a stretch 5 who isn't an absolute stiff athletically and also isn't too small to go inside and bang bodies.

He reminds me a lot of Wendell but with a bit more passing to his game. WCJ/Olynyk hybrid?
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,607

Post#804 » by eyriq » Wed May 15, 2024 12:27 am

Bensational wrote:
Knightro wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Flipowski may be the player that falls. Just looking at his stats reminds me of Domantis Sabonis.

I like Fillipowski a lot and I'm really encouraged by his jump from 28% to 35% from 3PT from year 1 to 2 at Duke.

If that shooting number keeps rising, you have a stretch 5 who isn't an absolute stiff athletically and also isn't too small to go inside and bang bodies.

He reminds me a lot of Wendell but with a bit more passing to his game. WCJ/Olynyk hybrid?

WCJ this season was very Olynyk like without WCJ's typical defensive impact. That's interesting you combined the two.
Message Boar
Analyst

Post#805 » by Message Boar » Wed May 15, 2024 12:39 am

Yeah Olynyk is who I think of when I was watching footage of Filipowski. Maybe a slightly better version if all goes right. I guess in this draft that's decent enough.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,579

Post#806 » by Bensational » Wed May 15, 2024 12:51 am

eyriq wrote:
Bensational wrote:
Knightro wrote:

WCJ this season was very Olynyk like without WCJ's typical defensive impact. That's interesting you combined the two.

In the small amount of highlights I’ve seen of Filipowski, when he’s setting screens, slow rolling through a crowd or repositioning to the perimeter elbow I was reminded of WCJ. When Filipowski was on the ball and making a pass I was reminded more of Olynyk.

I don’t have strong or heavily researched takes on this draft though, so don’t quote me.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,940

Post#807 » by RookieStar » Wed May 15, 2024 1:03 am

Bensational wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
Bensational wrote:Furphy could be a nice g-league draft and stash guy. His game is somewhere between Houstan and Moe Wagner as an off-ball mover who can score from the perimeter but also set screens, roll and make cuts well. Plus he brings chippy defense. I could see him becoming a kind of Max Strus type role player.

Other than that, the C crop is just too solid. Ware, Edey, Filiposwki all look like good prospects.

MoeW????? Furphy? The guy from Kansas?

I thought he was a just a bigger Dick

That’s the thing, he has the size to also roll to the rim and when he does that, or makes a nice read and cut, it really reminds me of Moe. He’s not just a pure perimeter guy.

Ummm Ben, Furphy is 6'8/6'9 right? MoeW is taller and bigger than Paolo if you read that one poster here who said he met the 2 at starbucks.

Moe's advantage is to bully and work on thosr 6'10 below backup bigmen of the other team. I mean sure Furphy could have those skills inside but dont think he will have the physical advantage to do so in the league.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#808 » by RookieStar » Wed May 15, 2024 1:10 am

RichCollab wrote:
T-Cat wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
I am.... just.... i dunno if those i read about motor/desire to play has any legs. If those arent true then he is a lotto pick and out of our range.

If he treats it just like a 9-5 job and does the bare minimum, i fear he might get the other guys espeically like Suggs who dives to the floor and play through injuries, some bad vibes.

Well i trust the 30 GMs in the league to properly employ a psychologist to ge the truth out of those rumors.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#809 » by RookieStar » Wed May 15, 2024 1:11 am

Message Boar wrote:Yeah Olynyk is who I think of when I was watching footage of Filipowski. Maybe a slightly better version if all goes right. I guess in this draft that's decent enough.

I was thinking of MoeW. Someone who doesn't/can't defend the physical inside players but their offense really tip the scales in their favor.

They also have games where they can go scoreless lol
Message Boar
Analyst

Post#810 » by Message Boar » Wed May 15, 2024 2:10 am

RookieStar wrote:
Message Boar wrote:Yeah Olynyk is who I think of when I was watching footage of Filipowski. Maybe a slightly better version if all goes right. I guess in this draft that's decent enough.

I was thinking of MoeW. Someone who doesn't/can't defend the physical inside players but their offense really tip the scales in their favor.

Yeah Moe W without the attitude is also a comp for him I guess.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,896

Post#811 » by Skybox » Wed May 15, 2024 11:43 am

Message Boar wrote:
RookieStar wrote:

Without the attitude, Moe W might be back in Euroleague. :lol:

Filipowski is certainly a highly-skilled, intelligent player…I like the Olynyk comp, but Olynyk is a great shooter, Filipowski stayed an extra year to develop that, made decent progress, but isn’t really a notable 3pt shooter (yet). I thought the big knock (like Olynyk) is defense…when a big struggles to defend in college, they tend to get murdered in the NBA…potentially turn into a big, slow SF because they can’t bang but they also can’t stay with smaller guys…he could be a value pick and become a capable team defender, but I’d want to thoroughly investigate that concern. Same concern with Edey…some guys are just perfect to dominate college ball but it doesn’t translate at the next level.

I’d be into it if they take him, but there are concerns as always. Drafting a frontcourt guy would also give me hope there’s a significant guard move coming too :D
Husky1
Senior
And1: 314

Post#812 » by Husky1 » Wed May 15, 2024 7:47 pm

Jett is our rookie this year. Draft either Nioka Djurisic or Ulrich Comche and draft and stash them. I think this Serbian is a riser and could be the go
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,122

Post#813 » by yoyojw17 » Wed May 15, 2024 8:52 pm

https://collegesportswire.usatoday.com/lists/zach-edey-dalton-knecht-stock-risers-2024-nba-draft-combine/

Carter pushed his way into the first round conversation thanks to his versatility and toughness at Providence last year, but what really turned heads on Monday was his athleticism.

The 6’2.25 guard tied for the top max vertical at 42 inches, posted a 35 inch standing leap, a 6’8.75 wingspan, and if that wasn’t enough he broke the NBA draft combine record with his 3/4 court sprint time.

An elite athlete with long arms, physical toughness on defense, and strong navigation skills in the pick and roll should make Carter an easy first round pick in June, and he may not make it out of the lottery.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#814 » by RookieStar » Wed May 15, 2024 9:11 pm

Skybox wrote:
Message Boar wrote:
RookieStar wrote:

Without the attitude, Moe W might be back in Euroleague. :lol:

Filipowski is certainly a highly-skilled, intelligent player…I like the Olynyk comp, but Olynyk is a great shooter, Filipowski stayed an extra year to develop that, made decent progress, but isn’t really a notable 3pt shooter (yet). I thought the big knock (like Olynyk) is defense…when a big struggles to defend in college, they tend to get murdered in the NBA…potentially turn into a big, slow SF because they can’t bang but they also can’t stay with smaller guys…he could be a value pick and become a capable team defender, but I’d want to thoroughly investigate that concern. Same concern with Edey…some guys are just perfect to dominate college ball but it doesn’t translate at the next level.

I’d be into it if they take him, but there are concerns as always. Drafting a frontcourt guy would also give me hope there’s a significant guard move coming too :D

I personally think Flip stayed the extra year to rehab his hip injury and surgery while at the same time earning that sweet NIL money. Also to rebuild his toughness stock after that poor NCAAT showing where undersized physical dudes just worked him over.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#815 » by RookieStar » Wed May 15, 2024 9:35 pm

RichCollab wrote:
T-Cat wrote:
RookieStar wrote:

Its on the general draft board. A lot of posters heard about it as well and appearantly, it was his high school coach who first started/noticed it? Maybe he changed through the years.

A lot do agree with me that he is a lotto pick if he actually likes basketball and his combine results put him in the same category as the projected #1 Sarr
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 728

Post#816 » by RichCollab » Wed May 15, 2024 10:01 pm

RookieStar wrote:
RichCollab wrote:
T-Cat wrote:

Its on the general draft board. A lot of posters heard about it as well and appearantly, it was his high school coach who first started/noticed it? Maybe he changed through the years.

A lot do agree with me that he is a lotto pick if he actually likes basketball and his combine results put him in the same category as the projected #1 Sarr

I love Ware like I loved Bamba pre draft.

I’m pro drafting a center. I’m not opposed at taking risks.
BCS
Sixth Man
And1: 683

Post#817 » by BCS » Wed May 15, 2024 11:14 pm

RookieStar wrote:
RichCollab wrote:
T-Cat wrote:

He looked fine on the basketball court this year. He has the skills to make it, but he has Chuma vibes more than Bamba. I like him, but he seems to interview very poorly. It might sound mean to say it, but low iq in general. I would still take a chance on him, but I believe if we keep the pick, we end up with one of:

Da Silva
Carter
Edey

Those are closer to the type our FO likes.

Sent from my SM-A716U using RealGM Forums mobile app
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#818 » by RookieStar » Thu May 16, 2024 12:40 am

RichCollab wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
RichCollab wrote:

I prefer drafting a C as well... Dunno anyone i like on this draft though.
CocoaFan
Sophomore
And1: 72

Post#819 » by CocoaFan » Thu May 16, 2024 2:11 am

RichCollab wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
RichCollab wrote:

I don't think I could take another low motor center that every year we hope he gets it and works harder. Bamba 2.0 with less skill
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,147

Post#820 » by KillMonger » Thu May 16, 2024 5:53 am

I think that stuff with ware is overblown.... Remember Ant Edwards had the same questions, if he loved basketball...

Sent from my [Hands] using RealGM mobile app

Return to Orlando Magic