ImageImageImageImage

The Anthony Black Thread

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 707

Re: The Anthony Black Thread 

Post#1421 » by JoshuaPotter » Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:43 pm

eyriq wrote:
Fortune Teller wrote:I don't think AB's as good as his supporters think or hope. If he were, there is literally nothing preventing him from being the starting PG on this team. Fultz wouldn't even start on a G-League team, and Suggs was already moved to SG because of his challenges running the point. So if Black was even mediocre, just competent, the starting job would be his.

Supporters of this front office will argue, "well who says we drafted him to be a PG", which is the same argument we heard when it turned out Suggs wasn't much of a PG. But the answer in both cases is "everyone". Everyone said he was a PG, every draft board and prognosticator called him a PG, every TV talking head called him a PG. But we engage in revisionist history when it starts looking like the pick is a disappointment.

I really don't think we were setting expectations too high if we expected him to have more assists per game than Goga and Trevelin Queen, if he were playing the same or more minutes per game than them (which he is). And that's with 33 starts so he hasn't been surrounded by scrubs.

He's already a starting quality defender. His shooting is also already ahead of schedule. He's good enough to come in and be a lock down defender on the team's best guard, already. The fact that he's able to contribute to winning as a rookie is big, IMO. It's clear that he has a narrow role on the team that doesn't include typical PG playmaking duties. If you don't like him it's likely you've never liked him, because his performance has matched his role.

So I kinda see Black right now being pushed into the same envelope or role as Houstan / Okeke when they became starters. Catch and shoot boys.

Of the 3 I have seen more I like out of Black to make me pick Black over the other 2. Houstan had a chance to rise to the occasion and well. He just didn't. Doesn't mean he can't stay with us developing as 3rd string. He is still plenty young to develop.

The fact of the matter is Paolo is our Point Guard. Similarly, Ingles is a point guard when he is out there as well. Whether that is Mosby's fault or credit has yet to be truly known.

I think its part of the plan. A feature. Not a bug. We are hoping AB develops into an Ingles type with defense.
Black and Blue
Sixth Man
And1: 1,459

Post#1422 » by Black and Blue » Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:57 pm

The goal of this season with AB is "Show us what you got", while they slooooooooowly develop him. It's essentially a one season setup for learning what they will work extensively with him this offseason and the coming years. It's super hard to develop a player during the season. The fact he has a catch and shoot three ball at all is a major positive surprise, and his defense gives a lot to be optimistic about.

I'm hopeful the team is telling him "Be 'Guy 'A' for this season, so we can get you some burn while minimizing mistakes so we can make the playoffs, but be ready for the offseason where we are going to get you closer to 'Guy B'" If he is the same or a similar player come November of next year, then yikes the team has a major problem on their hands.

And those low assist numbers aren't surprising because teams are playing off of him on offense. Those should go up as he works on his handle and shooting (hopefully).
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,568

Post#1423 » by eyriq » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:17 pm

I also want to point out that if you look at lineups with 250+ minutes the AB/Suggs/Franz/Paolo/Goga SL is the #2 defense in the NBA.

We have a POC that AB is starting quality.
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#1424 » by JoshuaPotter » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:22 pm

eyriq wrote:I also want to point out that if you look at lineups with 250+ minutes the AB/Suggs/Franz/Paolo/Goga SL is the #2 defense in the NBA.

Ranked offensively? 3pt %?

PA vs PS or whatever Points scored is.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1425 » by eyriq » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:47 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:
eyriq wrote:I also want to point out that if you look at lineups with 250+ minutes the AB/Suggs/Franz/Paolo/Goga SL is the #2 defense in the NBA.

16/23 in offensive rating
16/23 in TS%
7/23 in net rating
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#1426 » by JoshuaPotter » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:59 pm

eyriq wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:

16/23 in TS%
7/23 in net rating

Some good and bad in there. A 7/23 net rating implies over 500 team though correct?
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1427 » by eyriq » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:01 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:
eyriq wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:

16/23 in TS%
7/23 in net rating

Some good and bad in there. A 7/23 net rating implies over 500 team though correct?
Oh yeah, for sure. That lineup crushes
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 4,014

Post#1428 » by Last Guardian » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:19 pm

What are the chances he develops into a crafty PG. A crafty 6'7 legit PG would be huge for this team.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1429 » by eyriq » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:26 pm

Last Guardian wrote:What are the chances he develops into a crafty PG. A crafty 6'7 legit PG would be huge for this team.
100%
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,931

Post#1430 » by basketballRob » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:29 pm

Cole is only slightly above AB in net rating. -0.2 to 1.0. During Cole's rookie season, when Cole was 7 months older than AB, he was -12.8 in net rating. Rookie Suggs was around 6 months older than AB and his net rating was -7.1. People don't realize how good AB is going to be.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1431 » by eyriq » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:59 pm

basketballRob wrote:Cole is only slightly above AB in net rating. -0.2 to 1.0. During Cole's rookie season, when Cole was 7 months older than AB, he was -12.8 in net rating. Rookie Suggs was around 6 months older than AB and his net rating was -7.1. People don't realize how good AB is going to be.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app
They do not. But they will all love him.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,563

Post#1432 » by Bensational » Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:54 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:
eyriq wrote:
Fortune Teller wrote:In Black's last 5 games, he's played 87 minutes and has a total of 3 assists.
I'd guess playmaking isn't high on his to-do list

To be fair. The truth of him sucking might be staring us in the face.

But then why play him at all? Why not let Jett get burn, or Houstan even Fultz.

Unless they all suck or unlike Paolo / Franz they aren't allowed to play through mistakes.

Black spent his summer working with the 3rd string lineup which included Goga, Houstan and Chuma.

BLACK LINEUPS

In garbage time we see a much more active playmaking version of Black, and to me it’s because that’s where he has the chemistry, confidence and permission to run plays. And Goga seems pretty instrumental in making that work. I think we see that incorporated a lot more next season.

I think the ultimate goal for this team isn’t to have a traditional PG, but 5 guys on the court who have strong chemistry and a skill set to make reads, passes and open shots. That’s the kind of crew they’ve assembled, it just hasn’t had enough time to bake and reach its final form.
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 4,014

Post#1433 » by Last Guardian » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:41 pm

eyriq wrote:
Last Guardian wrote:What are the chances he develops into a crafty PG. A crafty 6'7 legit PG would be huge for this team.
100%

There is a 60% chance that you're correct
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1434 » by eyriq » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:47 pm

Last Guardian wrote:
eyriq wrote:
100%

There is a 60% chance that you're correct
I chuckled

Return to Orlando Magic