ImageImageImageImage

Magic acquire a 2026 1st round pick swap from Phoenix for three 2nd round picks

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,657

Re: Magic acquire a 2026 1st round pick swap from Phoenix for three 2nd round picks 

Post#81 » by Skin » Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:10 pm

Only thing Weltman is proving is that he has poor scouting skills and zero confidence in his capability to find talent in the second round. PHX is laughing. 0% chance this pick swap happens. Like taking candy from a baby.
MAGICian619
Bench Warmer
And1: 894

Re: Magic acquire a 2026 1st round pick swap from Phoenix for three 2nd round picks 

Post#82 » by MAGICian619 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:26 pm

Skin wrote:Only thing Weltman is proving is that he has poor scouting skills and zero confidence in his capability to find talent in the second round. PHX is laughing. 0% chance this pick swap happens. Like taking candy from a baby.

The year is 2026. The NBA season just finished.

The Washington Wizards finish (18-64) closing out the year with the worst record for the 3rd straight season.

The Phoenix Suns finish (24-58) after having to blow up team at the trade deadline. After Durant's sudden retirement in summer of 25 and a predictable Beal injury in week 1, the Suns struggle early and eventually opt to blow it up and trade Booker to reacquire draft capital.

The 2026 lottery is upon us. The Wizards have the best odds. The Suns have the 3rd best odds. The Magic haven't seen the lottery in three seasons.....
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,923

Post#83 » by RookieStar » Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:23 pm

p0peye wrote:I might be off, but from where I'm sitting Weltman has found another way to get rid of 2nd round picks.

OH you aren't off... He is just doing it in a unique way. Instead of selling off those picks which I don't think anyone will buy because they look like worthless 50-60, he is just finding a way of getting rid of it so we don't have to pay those picks to count against our salary cap.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#84 » by RookieStar » Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:35 pm

MAGICian619 wrote:
Skin wrote:Only thing Weltman is proving is that he has poor scouting skills and zero confidence in his capability to find talent in the second round. PHX is laughing. 0% chance this pick swap happens. Like taking candy from a baby.

The Washington Wizards finish (18-64) closing out the year with the worst record for the 3rd straight season.

The Phoenix Suns finish (24-58) after having to blow up team at the trade deadline. After Durant's sudden retirement in summer of 25 and a predictable Beal injury in week 1, the Suns struggle early and eventually opt to blow it up and trade Booker to reacquire draft capital.

The 2026 lottery is upon us. The Wizards have the best odds. The Suns have the 3rd best odds. The Magic haven't seen the lottery in three seasons.....

More importantly...

The Orlando Magic are one of the top-3 contenders for the championship next season. So many washed-up.... veteran top 10 players are clamoring to sign up to ring chase with them.

Who will they cut? Do they have space to still sign a rookie to groom to replace the veterans?

Steph Curry and Dame Lillard are taking on vet min to play the backup to NBA AllStar Fultz
AD is saying he still have one more year and willing to be the 3rd PF behind NBA All-Star Banchero and DPOY Isaac...
Audi
Analyst
And1: 2,826

Post#85 » by Audi » Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:27 pm

Whether or not the swap conveys doesn’t make a difference because it’s not going to be ours when it happens…high probability that we are trading this pick before 2026.
Abra Cadabra, Razzmatazz, Slam-Dunk Sesame, Hocus Pocus, Alacazam, Gonna set the spirit free
Keeping The Original Orlando Magic Theme Song Alive
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,035

Post#86 » by drsd » Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:32 pm

RookieStar wrote:The Orlando Magic are one of the top-3 contenders for the championship next season.

From our friend, ChatGPT 3.5:

The Orlando Magic winning the 2023/24 NBA championship would require a combination of strategic decisions, player development, and a bit of luck. While it's impossible to predict every detail, here's a hypothetical roadmap outlining key steps the Magic could take to achieve this feat.

Build a Strong Foundation:
The Magic must establish a solid foundation by developing young talents and acquiring key players. They should focus on securing a talented core group of players who can grow together over time.

Develop Young Players:
Invest in player development programs to nurture the young talent on the roster. This includes providing excellent coaching, training facilities, and individualized development plans. This will help players like Jalen Suggs, Franz Wagner, and Wendell Carter Jr. reach their full potential.

Acquire Impactful Veterans:
Supplement the young talent with experienced veterans who bring leadership, playoff experience, and a winning mentality. Target players who complement the team's style of play and provide stability during crucial moments.

Coaching Excellence:
Hire a skilled head coach who understands player development and can implement an effective system that maximizes the team's strengths. A coach with a successful track record and the ability to motivate and inspire players will be crucial in achieving success.

Tactical Adjustments:
Develop a strategic game plan that utilizes the team's strengths while exploiting opponents' weaknesses. Adjustments in offensive and defensive schemes throughout the season will be vital to adapt to different matchups.

Team Chemistry:
Foster a positive team culture that emphasizes trust, camaraderie, and communication. Strong chemistry can elevate the team's performance and cohesion, especially during high-pressure situations in the playoffs.

Injury Prevention:
Prioritize player health and invest in a robust sports science program. Minimize the risk of injuries through proper conditioning, rest, and injury prevention strategies. A deep roster will also help mitigate the impact of injuries.

Regular Season Success:
Secure a high seed in the Eastern Conference standings through consistent performance during the regular season. This provides home-court advantage in the playoffs and favorable matchups.

Playoff Performance:
Elevate performance during the playoffs by emphasizing mental toughness, executing game plans, and maintaining composure in high-pressure situations. Players must step up their game and elevate their performances when it matters most.

Luck and Timing:
Winning a championship also requires some luck, such as avoiding major injuries to key players, getting favorable matchups, and timely contributions from unexpected sources. Staying focused, disciplined, and resilient throughout the playoffs is crucial.

In summary, the Orlando Magic can win the 2023/24 NBA championship by building a strong foundation of young talent, developing players, acquiring impactful veterans, employing an excellent coaching staff, fostering team chemistry, prioritizing health, achieving regular season success, and performing at a high level in the playoffs. While this roadmap outlines the general path, the journey to a championship is complex and unpredictable, requiring continuous adaptation and perseverance.

Spoiler:
The above was generated from this prompt: describe how the Orlando Magic can win the 2023/24 nba championship in about 500 words
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,035

Post#87 » by drsd » Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:55 pm

Here's another from ChatGPT on the Magic, where a sentence was written where each word begins with the next letter in the alphabet from A to Z, without repeating any letters.

Amidst ballers, cheers deafen, establishing frenzied game heroics; iconic jersey keeps loyal Magic nation on pulse, questing rival supremacy, triggering unyielding victory with exhilarating zeal.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,048

Post#88 » by fendilim » Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:38 am

Great so we acquired those picks with cash considerations, then now we combine those picks for a 1st round pick swap.

I guess this is the consolidation move we have all been expecting for this offseason.

Not bad. Good job by Weltman and co.
Kent
Veteran
And1: 1,179

Post#89 » by Kent » Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:57 am

D12VCMagic wrote:We are unlikely to see this swap. The Wizards get first dibs so we can only swap if we are the best of the three teams in 2026 and the Wizards are the worst. Possible I suppose, but this just seems like an excuse to unload more second round picks.

I'd take the same bet as the FO on that happening myself.
Ryan Anderson = Pat Garrity 10.0
-LBPTarHeel27
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,537

Post#90 » by Furinkazan » Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:30 am

MAGICian619 wrote:

I wanted to ask if theres also a dragon in this story...
but actually there is...
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 707

Post#91 » by JoshuaPotter » Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:42 pm

4-d chess
[whistler]
Freshman
And1: 70

Post#92 » by [whistler] » Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:33 am

Punting 2nd round picks aside, the team has managed their draft picks well. As far as I can tell, they are the only team in the league that doesn't owe any picks at all with no swaps or conditions on their picks either. They've only gambled with other team's picks, and even then it is for potential future upgrades, not one deal has them potentially losing position in any future draft.

Nothing wrong with hedging some bets.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,387

Post#93 » by pepe1991 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:47 am

[whistler] wrote:Punting 2nd round picks aside, the team has managed their draft picks well. As far as I can tell, they are the only team in the league that doesn't owe any picks at all with no swaps or conditions on their picks either. They've only gambled with other team's picks, and even then it is for potential future upgrades, not one deal has them potentially losing position in any future draft.

Because they literally never were buyers in any trade
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,271

Post#94 » by Optimus_Steel » Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:09 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
[whistler] wrote:Punting 2nd round picks aside, the team has managed their draft picks well. As far as I can tell, they are the only team in the league that doesn't owe any picks at all with no swaps or conditions on their picks either. They've only gambled with other team's picks, and even then it is for potential future upgrades, not one deal has them potentially losing position in any future draft.

Because they literally never were buyers in any trade

Agreed. But I got to imagine that will change soon as we should be a perennial playoff team with Paolo/Franz's development. Once that time comes then we will see how the front office handles the assets.
aka: prorl
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,110

Post#95 » by bigdogdylan5 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:24 pm

Man it is interesting watching the comments on an extremely minor move. We traded three terrible second rounders probably all 45 or later for an unlikely first round swap. I think with all the recent trades the pick swap might have slightly more value but not much. I say this because no one should be saying Weltman is smart or terrible off this one transaction. Unfortunately people seem to be in one side or the other with not much middle ground. This time of year people always get frustrated post draft and summer league. Extra so if “their guy” who they watched a 10 minute YouTube clip on does better than our pick. I think this is the most important year for Magic basketball In a while. Not like they must be the sixth seed or else but this year will set up the future of this team. Let’s see how it plays out. I think a lot of praise or frustration with this front office would be more appropriate after we see what happens this year and next off season.
Fine print disclaimer for Fultz:
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year… and I did and he sucks time to move on.
msmoore66
Pro Prospect
And1: 364

Post#96 » by msmoore66 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:49 pm

bigdogdylan5 wrote:Man it is interesting watching the comments on an extremely minor move. We traded three terrible second rounders probably all 45 or later for an unlikely first round swap. I think with all the recent trades the pick swap might have slightly more value but not much. I say this because no one should be saying Weltman is smart or terrible off this one transaction. Unfortunately people seem to be in one side or the other with not much middle ground. This time of year people always get frustrated post draft and summer league. Extra so if “their guy” who they watched a 10 minute YouTube clip on does better than our pick. I think this is the most important year for Magic basketball In a while. Not like they must be the sixth seed or else but this year will set up the future of this team. Let’s see how it plays out. I think a lot of praise or frustration with this front office would be more appropriate after we see what happens this year and next off season.

100%. I think it's just a lot of pent up energy, fan energy I guess. We sit here waiting, just waiting for something to happen while we are without games. Any small move by the org is pounced upon and at this point in time calmness and rationale thought is at a premium. I get it. But it is worth just taking a step back and relaxing a bit.
MAGICian619
Bench Warmer
And1: 894

Post#97 » by MAGICian619 » Mon May 6, 2024 3:48 pm

MAGICian619 wrote:

Mannn this pick swap is looking even better today with the Suns playoff showing. I'm sticking with my prediction above from a year ago.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,048

Post#98 » by fendilim » Mon May 6, 2024 3:55 pm

MAGICian619 wrote:
MAGICian619 wrote:

Mannn this pick swap is looking even better today with the Suns playoff showing. I'm sticking with my prediction above from a year ago.

I wouldnt celebrate yet. Durant is still Durant. Booker is still booker.

They just need to get a good coach.
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 5,064

Post#99 » by Ducklett » Mon May 6, 2024 9:53 pm

fendilim wrote:
MAGICian619 wrote:
MAGICian619 wrote:

They don't have picks, Beal looks washed, and they just paid Grayson Allen a zillion dollars. They need a lot more than a coach.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#100 » by RookieStar » Mon May 6, 2024 10:39 pm

fendilim wrote:
MAGICian619 wrote:
MAGICian619 wrote:

KD will be what? 39yrs old? You think he still will produce like LBJ?

How about Beal? All of a sudden he is going to be healthy for a full season and produce?

Booker is still Booker, but he might be frustrated already by that time carrying the team in a WC where there is a Wemby, a fully primed Jokic, his daddy Luka with an awesome supporting cast , the current MJ-heir in Ant and etc etc

Return to Orlando Magic