ImageImageImageImage

Jett thread

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,797

Re: Jett thread 

Post#41 » by Skybox » Wed May 8, 2024 3:38 pm

cedric76 wrote:
OrlChamps2030 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:not quite the same. Okeke delayed his signing so his contract didnt hit the cap until the following year

Okeke doesn’t get drafted if he wasn’t willing to delay his signing for a year

Jett doesn’t get drafted if he wasn’t willing to spend the year in the G League

Not quite the same but slightly comparable. It appears as though there was some “off the court” factors for drafting both guys

This is BS, Jett was drafted because WELTMAN THOUGHT he was bpa
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,196

Post#42 » by zaymon » Wed May 8, 2024 3:48 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:Can someone give me an example of where this has worked with any player in the last 10 years?

I mean, I hear Weltman saying that the G League isn't what it used to be and that it's now a legitimate development tool for players, but I can't find any instance of a lottery pick playing an entire season in the G League turning into a legitimate starting-level or rotational-level player for a team.

I'm generally curious about this, as I'd like to have continued hope for Jett.

Fred van Vleet, Danny Green.

In some capacity Siakam, Middleton, Gobert.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,234

Post#43 » by cedric76 » Wed May 8, 2024 4:07 pm

Skybox wrote:
cedric76 wrote:
OrlChamps2030 wrote:
Okeke doesn’t get drafted if he wasn’t willing to delay his signing for a year

Jett doesn’t get drafted if he wasn’t willing to spend the year in the G League

Not quite the same but slightly comparable. It appears as though there was some “off the court” factors for drafting both guys

Yes and weltman is better than anyone on this board

Fact
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
Skybox
RealGM

Post#44 » by Skybox » Wed May 8, 2024 4:10 pm

cedric76 wrote:
Skybox wrote:
cedric76 wrote:

Fact

This summer will tell...he's gotten a few arguable passes over the last couple of summers and TD's. I'm in his corner but either it all pointed to brilliantly loading up for this summer or he's just sitting on his thumb and preaching patience over doing his job...plus, I'm better.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,249

Post#45 » by MagicMatic » Wed May 8, 2024 4:23 pm

Yeah Weltman also thought Bamba and Okeke were amazing picks too.

He's obviously a god GM when it comes to the draft.

Have some of you considered getting off your knees?
cedric76
RealGM

Post#46 » by cedric76 » Wed May 8, 2024 4:24 pm

Skybox wrote:
cedric76 wrote:
Skybox wrote:

Fact

This summer will tell...he's gotten a few arguable passes over the last couple of summers and TD's. I'm in his corner but either it all pointed to brilliantly loading up for this summer or he's just sitting on his thumb and preaching patience over doing his job...plus, I'm better.

Anyone thinking that they are better than weltman at his Job is delusional
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,456

Post#47 » by PrimeThyme » Wed May 8, 2024 4:26 pm

zaymon wrote:

Those are late first, second-round, and undrafted players. I'm specifically looking for lottery picks who played an entire season in the G League and turned into an even rotational-level player.

A lottery pick playing his first season without an injury in the G League seems pretty much unprecedented to me.

I'm just trying to find any reasonable justification for why this pick was not moved for a rotational player if we were just going to completely punt on it like we have. It seems like a complete misuse of an asset.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,183

Post#48 » by OrlChamps2030 » Wed May 8, 2024 4:34 pm

MagicMatic wrote:Yeah Weltman also thought Bamba and Okeke were amazing picks too.

He's obviously a god GM when it comes to the draft.

Have some of you considered getting off your knees?

He took Cole over Maxey, Bane, and Quickley too

Weltman has been good. Good GMs still make mistakes.. hell even great GMs do. That’s why we’re paid the big bucks to sit here and make thousands of posts analyzing every move

The reductionism in saying “Weltman is right every time” is pretty painful
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,159

Post#49 » by Def Swami » Wed May 8, 2024 4:44 pm

So hard to really glean anything from Jett Howard. It was an out of left field pick when it was made. The only thing I can really glean from the pick is the Magic did not believe he could help us win basketball games. And they did not believe he was better than Gary Harris or Caleb Houstan despite being drafted with the one glaring weakness we struggled with as a team. They just never gave me a reason to believe he was good. It's too soon to call him a bust, but Weltman is not immune to picking busts.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,570

Post#50 » by eyriq » Wed May 8, 2024 4:59 pm

cedric76 wrote:
Skybox wrote:
cedric76 wrote:

Fact

Anyone thinking that they are better than weltman at his Job is delusional
It's not thinking that Weltman isn't a better executive, that's obvious. It's about questioning his logic and framework. There are different "types" of executives and different quality of executives within those types, and it's fair to want a different type.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,196

Post#51 » by zaymon » Wed May 8, 2024 5:02 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:
zaymon wrote:

Those are late first, second-round, and undrafted players. I'm specifically looking for lottery picks who played an entire season in the G League and turned into an even rotational-level player.

A lottery pick playing his first season without an injury in the G League seems pretty much unprecedented to me.

I'm just trying to find any reasonable justification for why this pick was not moved for a rotational player if we were just going to completely punt on it like we have. It seems like a complete misuse of an asset.

Well justification is that we wanted an investment. He was good in g league so there is no proof he is a bust. Some players are good in their first year and they fail and some players dont play in their first year or are bad or both and are good in the long term.
We had time and roster spot for him. Dont see anything wrong in developing in the g league.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
cedric76
RealGM

Post#52 » by cedric76 » Wed May 8, 2024 5:03 pm

Def Swami wrote:So hard to really glean anything from Jett Howard. It was an out of left field pick when it was made. The only thing I can really glean from the pick is the Magic did not believe he could help us win basketball games. And they did not believe he was better than Gary Harris or Caleb Houstan despite being drafted with the one glaring weakness we struggled with as a team. They just never gave me a reason to believe he was good. It's too soon to call him a bust, but Weltman is not immune to picking busts.

Jett was mocked a top 10 pick before he got injured, people read too much into mocks made by non NBA scouts
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
Skybox
RealGM

Post#53 » by Skybox » Wed May 8, 2024 5:10 pm

Sam Presti > Brad Stevens > Calvin Booth >Pat Riley > Skybox > Weltman > PHX guy
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#54 » by MagicMatic » Wed May 8, 2024 5:29 pm

cedric76 wrote:
Def Swami wrote:So hard to really glean anything from Jett Howard. It was an out of left field pick when it was made. The only thing I can really glean from the pick is the Magic did not believe he could help us win basketball games. And they did not believe he was better than Gary Harris or Caleb Houstan despite being drafted with the one glaring weakness we struggled with as a team. They just never gave me a reason to believe he was good. It's too soon to call him a bust, but Weltman is not immune to picking busts.

Jett was mocked a top 10 pick before he got injured, people read too much into mocks made by non NBA scouts

What about mocks and big boards from reputable people and Front Offices outside of Orlando? :lol:

You are aware people can go look through draft threads and see they have called prospects better than Weltman right?
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 707

Post#55 » by JoshuaPotter » Wed May 8, 2024 5:58 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
cedric76 wrote:

What about mocks and big boards from reputable people and Front Offices outside of Orlando? :lol:

You are aware people can go look through draft threads and see they have called prospects better than Weltman right?

First off, this has nothing to do with criticizing Howard and everything to do with criticism of Weltman. Edit : I am here for it.

Also, cedric my man......my...man...c'mon cedric76.

Sorry my mind went back 10 years ago when I was under a different name.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,456

Post#56 » by PrimeThyme » Wed May 8, 2024 5:58 pm

I think the toughest thing about this pick isn't who we took, it's the fact that many of us wanted to see it moved in a deal for a player who could have helped us when it happened.

The market value of the 11th pick in a decent draft compared to the value of a player who spent an entire year in the G-League and was a reach at the spot when it happened is incomparable.

Weltman's lack of aggression at times has always been one of my issues. In the end, it's worked out, but I've always felt there could have been more efficient ways to rebuild this roster at times.
mattdelray1220
Sophomore
And1: 93

Post#57 » by mattdelray1220 » Wed May 8, 2024 6:29 pm

It is pretty clear to me unless a big move is made, Jett or Caleb will be the back up 3 next year. I expect them to sign a Guard to replace/upgrade Gary and slide Jett or Caleb to back up Franz. They clearly wanted to win this year as much as possible and did not trust a rookie to do so over someone like Gary or Kelle. With the leap of Paolo/Suggs and hopefully Franz next year they can now have AB/Jett on the court more often.

I like Jett. I think he fits what we need. I also like Caleb. He was not great this year. He was ok. The coaching staff raves about him and his work ethic. One of these guys is gonna make the rotation. They will have to earn it obviously.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,388

Post#58 » by pepe1991 » Wed May 8, 2024 6:31 pm

Jett in most drafts was nowhere near lottery, most mocks i saw had him going in mid 20s.
For example draft room had him 27th
NBA.com had him 26th
espn had him 20
nba draft net 24

Magic picked him 11th (over Livley, Hawkins, Jaquez, George, Podzimski, Sasser.. all guys that had okey-ish or even good rookie years).
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#59 » by MagicMatic » Wed May 8, 2024 7:04 pm

pepe1991 wrote:Jett in most drafts was nowhere near lottery, most mocks i saw had him going in mid 20s.
For example draft room had him 27th
NBA.com had him 26th
espn had him 20
nba draft net 24

Magic picked him 11th (over Livley, Hawkins, Jaquez, George, Podzimski, Sasser.. all guys that had okey-ish or even good rookie years).

This is why I found the Michigan connection annoying.

Sure, maybe the FO valued length and other metrics too. I just find it extremely coincidental he was drafted that much sooner compared to every mock AND he happened to go to Michigan. Sure.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,657

Post#60 » by Skin » Wed May 8, 2024 7:46 pm

Jett was a pet cat pick for Weltman. He was no where near BPA. Weltman doesn't draft BPA.

He loves drafting players who have basketball bloodlines... Paolo, Cole, Franz, Black... Plus, there was the whole nostalgia story behind the selection of Jett. Whatevers... kid can put the ball in the hoop.

Mobley is a coach who wants to win, so he's not going to risk something that he doesn't have to. That's why Jett was sent down. To get playing time and not rot on the bench. I don't think he got better being down there, I just think it kept him from getting rusty.

Just like SVG and Redick... Jett will have his chance when Mobley takes him out of the dog house, teaches him how to play team defense.

Once Jett sees the floor in meaningful minutes, the Magic will have a more potent scoring punch.

Return to Orlando Magic